Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Dragon Quest 1 Mobile Port - More than just a port

A 7 inch screen is definitely big enough. Hell, a DSiXL has an adequate screen (unlike the earlier DS models). That's what, about 4"?

Oh man, this would be awesome!

Finish it?

Nope, waiting for the English version :)

(that screen above lists the credits for the English language version)

OMG OMG OMG (Dwaine/Ryu/Democrobot/Somebody - I need a siezure gif with just the letters OMG)

So I guess I don't need to work on a fan translation??? I was going to try to insert the script from the NES version but I guess that isn't needed, is it?

Phil Rogers was in the credits, would he even get mentioned if there was no localisation?

Finished the game on Saturday night.  Loved playing through again and this version feels like the best (albeit the easiest) of them all.  The original will always hold a certain nostalgia factor though.

They seemed to shiny spots on the ground for everything you had to find along the way (like the Armor in Hauksness and the hidden stairway behind the throne in Charlock), so I was almost surprised when I actually to had to search around a little bit for Erdrick's Token in the swamp (no shiny spot for that).  Of course it's never hard to find, and you always have Gwaelin's help if needed.

I beat the Axe Knight very easily at level 16 and then had the bridge made at the same level.  It was great to see the bank / vault in Cantlin since inventory space is so scarce in this game.  The game was throwing level-ups at me in Charlock while going down to plunder for the Sword and the various treasures in the basement where the Dragonlord is. 

Anyway, here are some representative snapshots from key points along the way:

01-DQ1Android.png

04-DQ1Android.png

05-DQ1Android.png

06-DQ1Android.png

07-DQ1Android.png

08-DQ1Android.png

10-DQ1Android.png

11-DQ1Android.png

12-DQ1Android.png

Naturally, at this point I had to take both Lora and the girl who throws herself at you to the Inn in Breconnary at the same time for a little...celebrating.  The inn-keeper tells us we were being very loud and disturbing the other guests...

14-DQ1Android.png

15-DQ1Android.png

16-DQ1Android.png

17-DQ1Android.png

18-DQ1Android.png

19-DQ1Android.png

20-DQ1Android.png

21-DQ1Android.png

24-DQ1Android.png

26-DQ1Android.png

27-DQ1Android.png

28-DQ1Android.png

29-DQ1Android.png

30-DQ1Android.png

31-DQ1Android.png

32-DQ1Android.png

36-DQ1Android.png

Good job at finishing it. I hate how they make the remakes far too easy. They should include a difficult mode if they're going to nerf the games so hard.

Yeah, I am fully expecting DW2 to be way easier than the originals.  Just adding shiny spots in that game would make it 100x easier.  If each crest is marked by a shiny spot, there will be little need for the flute.  That's fine by me though.  I actually don't hate the shiny spot thing, but it makes it a bit less necessary to actually read the hints that people provide you. 

Anyway, I am quite stoked to see the other mobile games that they will be coming out with.  I don't know if you guys have seen the most recent video of DQ8, but it looks quite a bit faster than that first demo video let on.  There was also a feature where you could tap a button and it would put the Hero in "run mode" so you don't have to hold down a direction to keep him moving.  You just have to steer him every once and a while.  That looks like a nice feature.  It might not actually be too bad on mobile platform (notwithstanding the portrait mode thing).

Why does everyone here have like a Samsung phone or tablet. You know those don't come with true Android right and tons of crapware.

The only Android tablet or phones I can stand using are the ones from Google with true Google.

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 for game development and doing emulation and it runs pretty much everything great and it looks great and is always going to get the latest Android updates. I'm on Kit Kat right now.

I have several Samsung devices, none of which run TouchWIZ. They all have custom ROMs or launchers on them. I use my Galaxy Note 10.1 for business and when debloated it runs very smooth and I still have full use of the tools I want like that S Pen functionality.

Thats great that you are a die-hard Nexus fan. Different strokes for different folks. Just because someone enjoys something other than what you do doesn't make them wrong.

Sooo.... I haven't finished DQ1 yet. I've been busy working on stuff for Orias Obderhode and the Den.

So far I have saved the princess, done the mountain cave, got Erdrick's token, and got the Silver Harp from Garin's tomb. Then my playthrough went on hiatus for the Den's sake.

Well... Ok.  As long as it's for the Den's sake ;)

No really, I'm converting resources from the game lol.

Is there a suspend/quicksave option? I obviously can't understand any of the menus, but it would be difficult for me to do some of the areas during a commute to/from work. 30 minutes is usually how long it takes to go either way which is fine for most areas, but today I was around Rimuldar at level 9 and wasn't sure if it would save spot if I pressed the home button on my phone so I rushed back to Alefgard to save. The cave with the fighter ring and Charlock castle would obviously be difficult to do.

The menus are actually surprisingly easy to remember, even the spells and a few of the commonly-used items. Granted for the larger games it would still be hard, but DQ1's not that bad.

I think I stumbled upon a quick save option in the misc. menu (the bottom-right of your out-of-battle commands list) but haven't bothered to use it so I don't remember which one it is. Screw around with that menu, the worst that could happen is you waste all your MP on something on accident, but if you do it near alefgard you can just talk to the guy in the southeast corner of Tantegel who regenerates your MP for you. Good luck!

I found an option that seemed like it would work as a quick save, but all it did was exit the game for me.  I fuddled with all the menus and was unable to find a quick save, which would have been a fantastic addition to this game. 

I am not saying there is no quick save, but just that I was unable to find one if it was there.  I also found the ability to return to a game in progress was really flakey.  It would work sometimes (like if I had to answer a phone call), but other times, I would go to the home screen and then try to return to the game and it would relaunch instead of just taking me back to my game in progress.  That was very annoying, especially since that seems like a very basic and critical app feature.  I haven't heard anyone else complain about that though, so maybe it's just something about my phone...

Yep. Bottom option in the "misc" menu then same options for saving/quitting normally. It adds a new option on the main screen (the one before the save select) to resume.

I don't think it deletes the quick save if you resume though so be careful as I lost progress because I loaded the quick save instead of the proper save and got confused.

Also seems to be a restore progress if you close the app (swiping in task manager) but not 100% how that works.

Edited by Chris

Ahhh, that makes sense.  So it was creating a quick save for me, but I didn't know how to load it properly.  That is excellent.  Thanks so much for the tip!

For reference here's an image:

Screenshot_2013-12-11-12-39-32.png

It's the middle option.

The third option is the weird crash restore option.

I thought I'd found that quick save too.  Glad to be backed up on that.  It's a good remake/port/whatever, but I'm too lazy to replay the whole game.  Gave it an hour or so, but honestly I haven't played DQI in a dozen years.  I think I'm done with it.

It had been ten years since I last played it as well. Took me 5 hours to beat. Finished at level 22

• Upvote 1

5 hours? Wow you're good.

If I had time I could sit down and chug this out in 3 hours. Maybe less if they made xp and gold gains more than they are on gbc and sfc versions.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

5 hours? Wow, this game really has gotten easy. I guess that's not such a bad thing because it's simply a grindfest from start to finish. The game certainly hasn't aged well.

On second thought, I might get more into this if the baby has more sleepless early AMs like today. Put in almost an hour of grinding and upgrading some weaponry while my son didn't let me go to work an hour early like I needed to. And here I am at work typing this... I look for any excuse to procrastinate!

Sign in to follow this