Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Dragon Quest 1 Mobile Port - More than just a port

After following what has been happening in the RSS thread for the DQ1 Mobile port, I was able to get a copy of the Android version and start messing around with it to see what it's all about.  I also thought a comparison to the SFC version was warranted.

Well, I dug a little deeper into the content of this game and there are some interesting things that come out when comparing it to the SFC version.  First thing that is quite clear is that this is not at all a direct port or upscaling of the graphics from that game.  They are using the DQ3 / DQ6 SFC style graphics, which you will recall are quite different from the DQ1/2/5 SFC style.  This means they must have recreated everything using the new tileset.

On top of that, the music is orchestrated which (as far as I know) is the first time DQ1 has been released with an orchestrated soundtrack.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game was made even easier than the SFC / GBC versions too, because I can hammer a dracky down in one hit at level 1 when equipped with the club.  I don't remember it being that easy, even in the remakes. 

Anyway, here are some comparison shots I took between similar stuff in the Android version and the SFC version:

DQ1_Android_Radatome_Castle.png  DQ1_Android_Radatome_Castle_SFC_Comparis

DQ1_Android_Radatome_Town_Hot_Girl.png  DQ1_Android_Radatome_Town_Hot_Girl_SFC_C

DQ1_Android_Overworld_Radatome.png  DQ1_Android_Overworld_Radatome_SFC_Compa

DQ1_Android_She_Slime.png  DQ1_Android_She_Slime_SFC_Comparison.png

Finally, here are some just extra screen shots that I didn't bother reproducing in the SFC version:

DQ1_Android_Dracky.png

DQ1_Android_King.png

DQ1_Android_Menu2.png

Screenshot_2013-12-02-19-30-50.png

So what do y'all think about this game? After playing it for about a half hour this morning, I definitely think I would buy it if it came west.  I actually like the portrait view too, since it is easy to hold and play with one hand, leaving my other hand free for BEvERages.

There does seem to be be some data usage when playing the game, as my phone recorded 3MB of data transferred over a period of about 30 minutes playing.  It sounds like this could be DRM related as the game will exit abruptly if you lose a data connection for more than a few seconds.  This was a bit annoying since I lost 3 levels of progress that way, but I guess I will have to anticipate those train-tunnels better and make sure to save before I enter them...

Anyway, I would love to hear any comments from people who have played it, or just people who are looking at the above screen shots and making opinions.

• Upvote 5

Interesting post. I think we will get this version. I wonder if theu will do similar treatment to four. I thought for sure this was going to be an snes port but its not.

How did you download it?

• Upvote 2

For Android, you can download it by going here and then typing in the following: com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dqportal_gp

That will enable you to download the APK file which you should then be able to just install using your android APK installer.  The download is free until December 10th as I understand it.

Erdrick The Hero also has obtained the version for iOS, which I understand he was able to do by having his friend create an account for him at the Japanese iTunes store.  After that, download was free for him as well.

• Upvote 1

You had to do this the day i was going to post a comparison... oh well lol

I have the iOS version, it works fine without any sort of internet connection. There is no way that music is orchaestrated, though it does sound much better than the sfc version. (Go listen carefully to the town theme. It's definately synthesized.)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

I've looked inside the .apk file and there are icons for DQ2 and 3. Since they've made icons for them, there's a chance that they'll remake those two as well. I still haven't been able to get it to run on my Android OS live CD, but I've ran out of time since I need to study for exams. Main thing is I've got the .apk file, so hopefully I'll still get it free. If not, $5 isn't all that bad. :)

• Upvote 1

Erdrick, your ear is likely much better than mine.  I guess all I will say is that the music quality is much better than any of the SFC games.  Sorry for sniping your comparison topic.  Feel free to still post your own comparisons here or in another thread though.

Maybe I will do a test to see if I can run the game without WiFi on and without mobile data. I suppose the error I got could be unrelated to data connection.  I will check this later today on my way home from work. 

EDIT:

And Faolan, I am not sure if you have seen the DQ news recently, but SE has announced mobile remakes are forthcoming for DQ1 - 8.  You should see the DQ8 mobile trailer video.  It's very odd to see DQ8 on a mobile phone, especially in portrait mode.  So far, it looks like it will be horribly slow, but I guess we can judge that for ourselves once it's out.

Edited by King Zenith
  • Upvote 1

I had looked for this, and couldn't find it. Thanks, Zenith!

Those monster sprites are even larger and more detailed. I hope someone rips them for the Den soon.

They are using the DQ3 / DQ6 SFC style graphics, which you will recall are quite different from the DQ1/2/5 SFC style.  This means they must have recreated everything using the new tileset.

These new versions are actually ports of remakes of the first three games that came out on feature phones about ten years ago. That's why the graphics look distorted, they are just being stretched to fill the screen. If you look at the background for the hub screen fro DQ1, it actually uses the DQ1+2 tile set. I like those tiles! Similar to the NES ones but nicer.

• Upvote 2

Just got it installed and played to level 2. I don't mind the vertical screen as it means I can play with just one of my giant screen-obscuring paws. Typically having both thumbs on my phone means I'm missing half the screen. The sprites are a great change too, I'm curious to know how difficult it would be to translate this.

Just got it installed and played to level 2. I don't mind the vertical screen as it means I can play with just one of my giant screen-obscuring paws. Typically having both thumbs on my phone means I'm missing half the screen. The sprites are a great change too, I'm curious to know how difficult it would be to translate this.

Like a fan translation? You'd have to strip the DRM out first. 

That isn't too hard. On Android, use a cracked Google Play. I have to do it for FFD, because SE's DRM pretty much makes sure you're WiFI'ed before letting a game open.

I ripped all the graphics and the music, still need to convert the music to MP3 though.

• Upvote 1

The package name suggests this isn't a DQ1 APK file, but rather a portal to a square enix downloader/store site.  Which is... an interesting idea.

The distortion looks really bad. I'm just going to stay away from this.

I'm eager for the Dragon Warrior VII port though.. That I would love to play.

I wonder if all of the eight games are being released this month or during the winter season.

Perhaps we will found out on the 10th.

Also, which version of VII will they bring to phones..? VII from PlayStation or VII from the 3DS.. I'm inclined to say the latter, but that seems a bit fast to port it.

By the way portrait landscape is such an idiotic idea.

Edited by Mr. RPG

DQ1 iOS isn't too distorted, just a little. You get used to it. It really is worth FREE. (And probably even after they add a price, I doubt it will be very expensive.)

The package name suggests this isn't a DQ1 APK file, but rather a portal to a square enix downloader/store site. Which is... an interesting idea.

That's exactly what it is. There is a DQ news feed when the hub app starts. You can opt in to push notifications as well. That was how I found out about DQ8 getting a release date. SE has a little DQ storefront on over one million phones.

Talk to the king. When he asks you the question, take the left option. Pick a save slot, then take left option to keep playing or right option to quit.

Note that you need to leave the castle before you can save

Edited by King Zenith

I thought I found a quick save option but I forgot where it was.

I ripped all the graphics and the music, still need to convert the music to MP3 though.

Please share! I want to make a mock up of what the game would look like with proper scaling.

I'll be talking with woodus about uploading them here when I'm finished converting the music.

About the music: I'm starting to think some tracks are orchaestrated and others are synthesized. Not sure about this, but I can tell at least some of them are not live recordings.

• Upvote 1

I don't see what the problem with the scaling is.  This looks fine.

I don't see what the problem with the scaling is. This looks fine.

It's longer than it is wide. It looks all jagged.

The tilesets get distorted as if they've been stretched out, then squeezed in too small, then stretched out to full size. It's not as bad in iOS version as it is in the android version, it's hardly noticable in the iOS version. From those screenshots of the Android version, it doesn't look all that bad either, though definately more of an issue than with iOS.

The game looks fantastic on my Note 2.  No complaints about the graphics at all here.