62% of Japanese Gamers Want Next Dragon Quest on PS4

62% of Japanese Gamers Want Next Dragon Quest on PS4, 8% on WiiU, 1% on Xbox One According to Poll

The popular Japanese IT magazine Weekly ASCII asked its readers on what platform they’d like to play the next Dragon Quest game, and the result were only partly predictable.

Here’s a breakdown:

1. PS4: 62%
  2. Wii U: 8%
  3. iPhone: 8%
  4. PC: 5%
  5. Tablets 3%
  6. Android Smartphones: 3%
  7. Xbox One: 1%
  8. SH-01F Dragon Quest: 1%
  9. Other: 9%

Note: the SH-01F Dragon Quest is the special Dragon Quest themed smartphone to be released this December by docomo.

The PS4 got the lion’s share of the votes, with the Wii U following for home consoles with a meager 8%. 5% is actually surprisingly high for PC, and confirms the trend that PC Gaming is slowly taking a foothold in Japan, even thanks to Final Fantasy XIV and Dragon Quest X.

Also interesting is that all mobile platforms combined just reach a 20%. Considering how popular mobile gaming seems to be in Japan, I expected a much higher result there. The sizable 9% for “other†should not surprise, since the poll did not seem to have a specific option for 3DS, PS3 and PS Vita.

1% for the Xbox One…well… No one’s surprised there. It’s Japan, after all.

Source: Weekly ASCII Magazine

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/05/62-of-japanese-gamers-want-next-dragon-quest-on-ps4-8-on-wiiu-1-on-xbox-one-according-to-poll/

I am all for it.   Neither DQIX on DS nor DQX on Wii / Wii U / PC appeals to me.

Would love another totally offline DQ like VIII on PS2.

Edited by NidoTower
  • Upvote 2

Except that's not 62% of all Japanese gamers, just those that responded to a poll in a magazine for IT people. DQ appeals to a much broader audience than just computer nerds. I'm waiting to see if anyone gets these new systems; without backwards compatiblity, it's going to be a lean first year for games.

• Upvote 1

PS4 should at least get all the PS1 and PS2 (the few that exist) classics, right? That's going to be a leap over the XBone.

At launch, the PS4 will be limited to PSN titles made for it.

I intend on getting another PS3 before a PS4.

yeaa...id rather have DQX, spite its online, it gets constant new updates and such, and makes me feel like leveling my character will be worthwhile because it makes me feel like I keep getting stronger and stronger to be more capable of doing the new content.

As long as I can play it on a platform I own, totally fine with DQX. (( Android FTW! ))

Sadly, since i got no consols, and i have a very very weak computer, the best option (for me) at least is a DS release, I'm not really the kind of guy who cares about graphics, im only urious about the story and the battle system, so yeah, Dragon Quest 9 had a very very weak storyline (imo) they could give it another try, but the battle system was well done.

Sadly, since i got no consols, and i have a very very weak computer, the best option (for me) at least is a DS release, I'm not really the kind of guy who cares about graphics, im only urious about the story and the battle system, so yeah, Dragon Quest 9 had a very very weak storyline (imo) they could give it another try, but the battle system was well done.

Well, if they do indeed actually put DQX on the iOS platform, ya can get one of those and, itll basically be a handheld. Hehe....

Otherwise nowadays a 400-600 dollar PC store bought should be able to run DQX comfortably at max settings, long as you make sure to select one with the right video card. 300 dollars if you make one yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

It's gonna be a helluva long time (and heavy price drops) before I get a PS4 unless there's one hell of a backward compatibility feature.

Edited by Red Dragon

Including cell phones but not other options such as the 3DS or Vita in the poll is horribly flawed.  On a another note I wouldn't mind the next DQ to be on the PS4 or the Wii U.  The cell shaded graphics it would most likely have would look perfect on either console. 

This is dumb, I don't care which system it's on because I've missed out on Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D, Dragon Quest Monsters 2: 3D and Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden. I'm upset with Squeenix and Nintendo right now.

In all fairness if someone wanted to pick 3DS or Vita there was still the option of picking "other."

True.  It's just dumb to not include them as seperate options...especially when considering that one of them is massively popular.  The iPhone gets it's own category and the 3DS doesn't?  Doesn't make sense.