Ryu's Question - Why NOT emulate?

I definitely agree with the lack of 3DS VC games in comparison to Wii, but that has more to do with the fact that the Wii has been out longer. I'm still fired up about the fact that I can't play Earthbound on my 3DS, although I'm sure it has more to due with the fact that they are trying to sell more Wii Us.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is in regards to a status update someone made today about buying an original cart. More power to him, but that poses me a question.     Why do people still buy older carts? Why not emulate? I

I emulate.  All the time.  I emulated this morning.  I will probably emulate at lunch and then again on the way home. 

I like playing on the original controllers, through my TV as God intended. I'm also pretty handy, so replacing a battery in a cart is not a problem.  Emulation is really handy, but for me it comes do

The execs that get asked why there isn't more content on 3DS / Wii VC just tell folk to go to Nintendo of Japan and tell them we want it.

Seriously. The only reason I emulate now? I can't buy it on my 3DS or whatever console. If Tomba 2 came out on PSN I'd get a PSP and play it off PSN. If Earthbound came out on 3DS VC, I'd go sell a toenail and get an eShop card for it. 

(( Don't tell me to buy a Wii U, can't afford it currently. I pre-order most of my games when I get my student loan checks. )) (( Pokemon X/Y is the last game of the year I'm getting, barring anything else. ))

I don't like to emulate mainly because I feel guilty for some odd reason.

Except Mother 3. I doubt that game will make it stateside.

You shouldn't feel guilty. There is at least a dozen JRPGs on the SNES alone which will never make it here.

actually now that I think of it, the SNES is one of the main system with unreleased JRPGs. Even the US-released ones back in the day haven't been re-released. Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana 2, Paladin's Quest, Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer, Terragnima, Treasure of the Rudras, Dual Orb, Live a Live, Romancing Saga (2 and 3), Bahamut Lagoon, Lagoon, Arabian Nights, both Lufias, Shin Megami Tensai 1 and 2, and there's more I can't put name to to save my life.

I'm really bummed Wii VC didn't get Uniracers, either. I loved that game.

Also, we never got this super-awesome NES game 'called Radia Senkai or something like that. Cool game.

In other words, there's games buried in vaults (( or easily accessible on the internets )) that will -never- be re-released on any console. This is why I always go "EMULATE EMULATE EMULATE." (( If you buy it for a working system you own, I guess that's fine too, but I think it's over the top. )) If you can't support the developer, why bother?

Okay since this post is about me I figured I'd put my two cents in instead of watching everyone else make my argument. I hate to emulate. That is not saying I don't do it. I have a rom of DW I&II that I play until I get the money to buy the real cartridge. I just like holding the darned things and looking at them. The feel of the plastic and the grooves. :D I also have a 3DS (proud ambassador) a Wii, an Xbox, and a PS3. If you check most of the purchases on the virtual store is old titles that have been ported. But they don't compare to holding the real system they were made for and gaming all night with it. I don't really fear the battery dying because I can fix it, and if I can't my dad is pretty good with that stuff. I recently hacked my PSP to run custom firmware and put some emulators on it and couldn't live with it. I deleted the firmware and the emulators off of it. It's just how I am. I feel weird when emulating like that. 

Some folk just like the original cartridge. I never have, really.

Sure, I was young and enjoyed most games, then I got a PSX, and some ex-friend tossed my FF7 disk 2 across the room.

There went a $50 game. (( Or whatever it was then. )) 

I preferred cartridge games to CDs over the long term (( My copy of Zelda Ocarina of Time was still good when I sold it last year. )), but one thing remained the same.

What happens when the system dies out totally? Now, sure, I can get used systems and stuff off Ebay, but to me, I always preferred playing junk off a PC or something. I have the Sega Smash Packs and official Sonic and Knuckles CD thing that came out, my first time playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Was listening to System of a Down 10 years ago on an old Compaq. Thanks to that old junky PC, I was able to play Star Ocean, Seiken Densetsu 3, and more.

I will always, always emulate when I can. Wether official via PC games (( Sega Genesis Collection mostly is legal PC emulation, they have a buncha stuff on Steam )), Nintendo systems (( My old Wii had $500 worth of VC titles on it and my 3DS has at least $100 or so in VC alone, that's 20ish titles right there. )), and then, if I can't play it on a system I own (( I will have a Wii U someday, and when I get it, I will get it with a $50 eShop title for a bunch of SNES junk, buying it again for the second or third time )), will be when I emulate "illegally", if emulating unreleased to the US games is even illegal. 

I actually could have bought DQ6 SFC locally recently (if I had the money) but I can't read japanese. (The only thing keeping you from using an NTSC-J SFC cartridge on a NTSC-U/C SNES is two small plastic tabs in the US console's cartridge slot. Snip those off and japanese games will run perfectly fine. This isn't the same for PAL regions though.)

PAL regions have to run on their native TVs or whatever, right?

Correct. And because of that, I belive the hardware was modified slightly, causing incompatibilities AFAIK.

I love emulation.

Most games don't look very well on a big screened Full HD LCD TV anymore. You know, I even bought a rare French Nintendo 64 (model "NUS-001 (FRA)") and paid someone for RGB-modding it to improve the picture quality on LCDs. I tried different RGB-cables and it's still horrible compared to the original look on an analog TV.

Emulation seems to be the only way left to play N64 games without getting eye cancer.

The only problem is that there still are games, that aren't playable without annoying issues. Some of my favorite games suffer from that...

Just look at Donkey Kong 64. There's no recent emulator that runs it without weird glitches, via the original hardware it looks horrible on HD TVs, it will never be released on Nintendo's virtual console (because they sold Rareware to Microsoft) and it will never be released on XBL (because Nintendo kept the Donkey Kong license).

But well, those games are the exception! All in all, emulation is a great thing and I really enjoy texture packs, romhacks, translation patches and all the other advantages that come with it.

Get a hacked wii and inject the wad for VC. I don't know how, as I've never done it, but Ryu keeps talking about that all the time, so it might work for you.

It's not available for VC and probably never will. Nintendo owns Donkey Kong and Microsoft owns Rareware (the developer).

And if it's not available for VC, there's unfortunately no wad... :-/

EDIT: Wait..., you can create your own wads? That... could actually solve my problem! Why didn't I know about that? Thanks for the wake up call! XD

Edited by bjaxx87

I'd also just google where to find pre-injected WADs, it's what I did.

It can get -very- tricky, and Rare's games are the main culprit. Remember this in your journey. 

If you just want to emulate up to PSX/N64, get an Ouya and download the games. It's cheaper than a Wii, has no setup time or cost (( To hack a wii, you need an older Wii and a copy of Brawl or some other title last I checked )), and you can hook up existing controllers (( Wii controller, 360 controller and PS3 works natively )) for multiplayer and such. 

Oh, I have a first generation Wii and it's hard- and softmodded. But where's the point in buying an Ouya? It doesn't emulate better than Project 64 + Glide Plugin, correct? Because then I can just play N64 games on my PC using the TV screen and XB360 controller.

The advantage I saw in using the VC, was that it's an emulator straight from Nintendo and much better than PJ64.

But it seems DK64 isn't compatible anyway...

If your Wii is already modded, then you sir are good to go.

There's plenty of WADS out there. I'll see if I can get a buddy to get some of my old ones out, he has some.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/nintendo_wants_to_close_down_this_open_source_web_version_of_super_mario_bros - I saw this today.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is not emulation. This is piracy. Sure, it's a neat bit of programming, but you can get the original SMB on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. If you're really enterprising and have an old-school Gameshark and a Gamecube, you can get this off AC as well.

This hurts legitimate emulation possibilities, and gives NoJ ammo to go "lol noh, amerrika no get snes 3ds vc lolol". 

>:(

The level editor doensn't sound like something that should be shut down, but they should get the creator to drop the original levels.

No, it's still piracy, because it uses the original SMB's code and resources.

I don't really like Super Mario Bros Crossover either, but they remain flash-only and have plenty of crap on their site telling folk to try the original games, so... (( Plus, playing as Link was fun. ))

The same really goes for all the "hacks" and stuff that exist of SMB and up, and other games.

There's only one I'll say is good, and that's Armageddon Games's Zelda Classic. It was coded from top to bottom with original code, and is basically an emulator on its own. You can play completely original content (( Someone made a Metroid Zelda. It's interesting. )) as well.

... imma DL that in a bit.

Oh, I didn't realize it used SMB's source code. That is piracy then, you're right.

It would have to, it looks like a straight clone. A lot of these flash-based mario games either use source code or something similar enough to merit a cease and desist. Super Mario Bros X was one, although another called Super Mario War is still out and being distributed.

A lot of rom hacks and stuff are supremely awesome, I've played a few. But they're just that. Hacks. Even a translation can be seen as piracy (( I don't see them as such )), but ce la vie.

A hack (in patch form) itself is not piracy. It just generally requires piracy to use.

In order to do a hack, you have to have the source material, no?

Actually you could create the game from scratch and still make it look like the original. It would just be incredibly difficult to do.

Sorry, I meant downloading a hack patch is not piracy. Yes, generally a hacker would have to pirate or reverse engineer the software he/she is making a patch for. I've heard of cases where the source code was legitimately obtained (but I can't think of any examples right now lol) but the end user would still most likely need to pirate the software to apply the patch. Especially because "backups" are becoming considered more and more as piracy by companies and/or the law, meaning even if you legitly bought a game and then copied it to your hard drive to apply the patch it's supposedly "piracy".