Ryu's Question - Why NOT emulate?

This is in regards to a status update someone made today about buying an original cart. More power to him, but that poses me a question.

Why do people still buy older carts? Why not emulate?

I'll use my own example. I recently got a copy of Illusion of Gaia off ebay for my SNES, which I never really play. Good price, said it worked, right?

It came in, popped that sucker after a good blow in my SNES, and it turned on! Yay! Got as far as the first set of real ruins, and then I saved it and turned it off. Turned it back on? The battery was dead. 

It made me think. "Why do people buy 20+ year old cartridges and games when they will fail eventually?" The same goes for any kind of non-digital media. DVDs/BluRays too! A scratch on 'em? RUINED FOREVER. That scratch-eraser $#!& don't work.

So. Why not emulate?

This goes to modern consoles as well. I rarely hear about folk getting stuff off VC, XBLA, etc. You can (mostly) emulate legally now. And even if you don't own a modern console, who really cares if you DL something?! I downloaded Super Mario World dozens of times (( And bought it 4. Twice on VC, once off that Wii thing with the disks, and once when I was a youngin. )) and I have never gotten a cease and desist or any kind of notice from Nintendo. 

It's sad at that. The companies don't care. Unless you're downloading a modern-generation game like Halo 4 or something, you will -never- get in trouble for downloading a ROM or ISO. NEVER. I've been reading crap on the internet for 10+ years now, and I have never once seen a story "Child arrested for downloading Nintendo game" or anything like it. It gets iffier if you buy a DS flashcart or something, but to play it on your PC? PFF.

Let's not forget there's hundreds upon thousands of titles that have never made it here, either. SD Snatcher, Paladin's Quest, many many of the Super Robot Wars series, Shin Megami Tensai 1 and 2, and so much more.

You can't just discount emulation. It allows us to play titles older than we are, with mostly no hiccups. You can't go to Wal-Mart and buy a copy of Seiken Densetsu 3, but you can download it. (( Hell, you can't go to Wal-Mart and buy Star Ocean 1 or 2 PSP either. ))

(( Please note, this topic is about emulation, NOT piracy. If you can buy the title for a system you own, then buy it. If you own a Wii, buy Super Mario World off VC before entertaining thoughts about downloading it. But be pragmatic as well, if you don't own a Wii or Wii U and have no plans to, don't buy a system just to play one game. Watch a LP or something 'cause Super Mario World is ooooold. ))

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is in regards to a status update someone made today about buying an original cart. More power to him, but that poses me a question.     Why do people still buy older carts? Why not emulate? I

I emulate.  All the time.  I emulated this morning.  I will probably emulate at lunch and then again on the way home. 

I like playing on the original controllers, through my TV as God intended. I'm also pretty handy, so replacing a battery in a cart is not a problem.  Emulation is really handy, but for me it comes do

I like playing on the original controllers, through my TV as God intended. I'm also pretty handy, so replacing a battery in a cart is not a problem. 

Emulation is really handy, but for me it comes down to nostalgia. When my kids are old enough, they can play DW1 the way I did, with maps and everything. 

• Upvote 2

I am not handy. :(

• Upvote 1

It's not just about playing the game itself. I like the experience of it as well. It's the same reason some people prefer physical books over digital copies. I like to sit down, put a game into the system, recline on my bed, and play a game with my controller in my hand. The point is, there's nothing like buying an old game and playing it on a console as if it just came out.

Besides, not every game can be emulated, particularly new ones. I wanted to play Dragon Quest Swords a couple years ago but it had been off the shelf for years. I think in 2010-2011 or so I went on eBay and bought a brand new, sealed copy for, like, $25.

• Upvote 1

It's not just about playing the game itself. I like the experience of it as well. It's the same reason some people prefer physical books over digital copies. I like to sit down, put a game into the system, recline on my bed, and play a game with my controller in my hand. The point is, there's nothing like buying an old game and playing it on a console as if it just came out.

Besides, not every game can be emulated, particularly new ones. I wanted to play Dragon Quest Swords a couple years ago but it had been off the shelf for years. I think in 2010-2011 or so I went on eBay and bought a brand new, sealed copy for, like, $25.

Dragon Quest Swords is one of those games where I won't yammer about it being bought second-hand. Although the Wii is moddable, it's still a recent-gen. To me, downloading a Wii game is piracy, not emulation. The next generation of systems (( After PS4/Bone )), I'll accept it.

I don't feel downloading PS2 games is piracy (in this viewpoint at least) and technically they're still last-gen. (PS4 isn't out yet, so...)

A good reason to buy the original carts is for collecting and/or "preserving/archiving". Plus nostalgia. But that doesn't mean that downloading old games is bad. As Ryu has stated, the company isn't making money off of them anyways, so why not? The only possible issue is, say (pretend DQVII 3DS is already out in america for this example) I didn't own the PS1 version of DWVII, but I downloaded it when I could go buy the 3DS remake. In a way, SQEX would be losing money from that. Now, if I already had at least one version, there would be no problem with that, as I paid SQEX already for the game, why should I spend more money on it just to play on the computer? I don't think this should apply to current multiplats, but I think it's fine for remakes, or older multiplats.

I do both, I like having a collection on the shelf and old consoles for a true retro experience. Batteries can be replaced easily enough. That said, I emulate as well and use it as a chance for people to get into the series without investing in tracking down carts.

I'm emulating RIGHT NOW.

That needs to be a t-shirt

• Upvote 1

By the way Ryu, you say that you emulate old games because the companies won't make money on them, yet you pirate video game music because you don't want to import them. Isn't that the pirating you say you're against except in this case it's CDs instead of games? The company isn't making money off the pirated music after all.

• Upvote 1

In a sense. But if it comes out on a US-based site like Bandcamp or something similar, I try to buy it. I have plenty of VG osts now that are legit thanks to Humble Bundle and stuff as well.

I won't apologize for it, I -am- a pirate. But I'll buy stuff if available. 3DS VC is an example. I have 4 NES games, 12 GB/GBC games, 2 GameGear Games. Off the eShop? I have 7 Retail titles, and almost 30 general eShop titles, at least six or seven of which are the more expensive ones.

On my Wii? God, I had dozens upon dozens of titles. I was bummed as HELL when my first one got burned up. Nintendo of course, didn't give me a refund for when I eventually got another Wii. I bought FF4AY and all the content, rebought Zelda, then had a buddy softmod it and give me all my old crap back, plus emulators and injected WADs (( WADs are the file-type of VC titles and Wii Shop content. You can "inject" a copy of Earthbound into say, Donkey Kong Country's VC release and it run. Folk made custom banners for all kinds of games, including Earthbound, Lufia 1 and 2, Paladin's Quest, DQ 1-4 NES, DQ1-6 SNES, among others. ))

Emulation has a severe place right now. How else are you going to play Actraiser, Dark Cloud, or Seaman for the Dreamcast? (( I really can't name any PSX titles, a lot of them were re-released on PSN, the only one I want to play being Tomba 2 not being on there. I'd suggest emulating that but the sound breaks on it. ))

Music, unfortunately, is in the same vein of importing games. I can't read Japanese, and I don't like the idea of using a guide right alongside my game to know what it is. I can understand say, a JP copy of Megaman 4, where you know you just shoot things and the menus can be figured out, but a RPG like DQ7? I'll play the PSX version or wait on the 3DS. As for the music? I can't even play CDs, and I refuse to buy an external solution for something I simply don't use. I have my collection of CDs in a box (( I bought the FFX OST, FF4 OST, several Zelda CDs, and a couple .hack CDs when they had 'em at my local FYE. :P )), and in a box they'll stay. 

If you are doing legal emulation, companies are making money off it, so there is certainly an argument to be made in favor of legal emulation.

Earthbound for the SNES.  A cartridge of that is going to cost you a lot of money.  It at long last came to the WiiU virtual console.  Thanks to emulation, I was finally able to purchase and play the game for the first time, and I didn't have to get an absurdly expensive cartridge.

I've occasionally bought games I already had on emulation just for convenience.  A few select NES games I have cartridges for, but I went ahead and got the Wii VC releases of a couple anyways just so I could play them without having to dig out a cartridge for them.

The Wii classic controller is quite comfortable and works marvelously for NES games.

Emulation also allows me to now enjoy some games I never got the chance to play as a young girl. I didn't have a Genesis as a kid, but I have a few Sega Genesis games on Wii VC.

As long as it's not piracy, I don't mind emulation.  Though I often prefer SNES games on the original console.  The SNES controller is quite well done and really is perfect for the games on the console.

Earthbound is going to be the first game I get when I do get a Wii U.

And it's a damned shame companies like Nintendo aren't going further with legal emulation. Right now? The 3DS could host the entire SNES back catalog, and the publishers who made the titles would be making money off them. The same goes for GBA, GBC, NES, even Genesis. (( Sega for one could use some moolah. ))

But Nintendo refuses to even comment on it. Earthbound? We begged and begged and begged and begged and begged. It took news coverage of Mother 3 being translated and getting by on cameos before we'd see that game on a legitimate system again. 

Paladin's Quest? Illusion of Gaia? Nintendo, if anything, would say "The publishers hold the rights, ask them ^o^" and the publishers would go "waaht a vee cee?". It's up to the system-developing company to do something like this. Sony? All they had to do was go "Hey, Squeenix, we wanna re-publish FFVII on the PSP once we get our service up and running." (( Yeah, it took a long time to release that on PSP, but hell, the PSOne Classics line started in 2007 and within what, a year or two, all the super-awesome best titles were on it. I prefer Sony to Nintendon't. Too many good RPGs not on VC. :( ))

It is NOT hard for even myself to get ahold of $10 to buy say, Legend of Zelda on the 3DS. (( I did that. :D )) but it's much harder... ... OK, still hard to plunk $20 down for a SNES cartridge that may or may not work. I have a car and a life to tend to, gas before games.

Just that right now if Sony decided to put FFVII, or Nintendo decided to put a Super Mario Bros complication on my Nexus 7, that gas would have to come later.

Legal emulation would make -so much damned- money it's not even funny. But the big companies refuse to see it. :/

Yes you can. Play DQ5 PS2 in PCSX2 with the graphics upscaled to 1920 x 1080 (+antialiasing, texture filtering, etc.) with the widescreen patch and an XBox 360 controller.

• Upvote 1

What?

I'm at the SA-X in Metroid Fusion right now. :) Too bad I can't buy it on my 3DS or if I had a Wii U, on the Wii U.

NINTENDURR, WAI U NO HAS GBA GAMES ON 3DS VC?! WAI U NO WAN MONEYS?!

• Upvote 1

You could've played it on your 3DS for free if you were a part of the Ambassador Program. Even if they released GBA games on virtual console they wouldn't release Fusion for the general populace. That's the whole point of the Ambassador Program.

No, the NES titles that were on the Ambassador program are in the regular VC library now.

The whole point of the program was just giving free games to folk who paid $250 for the 3DS and were whiny. They didn't make them "Exclusive", they were just freebies 'cause of the cost.

That's really closed-minded. The games they put on GBA seemed random, but why would they, if they popped GBA games on the VC, make first-party titles like Metroid Fusion and Yoshi's Island not available to buy as part of it? It'd be stupid, especially since The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros can be bought with ease.

Seriously. Nintendo needs to throw their first-party and some third-party GBA titles on their 3DS. That's one reason I -can't- wait until someone is finally able to put a flashcart of softmod the damned thing. I'd keep buying games, but I'd damn sure have Mimish Cap and a few other of the "AMBASSADOR" titles on it.

Wii U I read, but it's ludicous they haven't extended the 3DS VC to GBA/SNES.

They want to stop emulation-based piracy? Make the content accessible. I'll play Secret of Mana on my tablet, but I'd damn well prefer playing it on my 3DS. I'll play Super Mario World on my phone, but I'd prefer 3DS. There's plenty of folk who feel the same way, and a lot of them? 

Nintendo of America execs. DAMN YOU JAPON!