Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

Dragon Quest on Smartphones

They don't all do that. Crono Trigger could be downloaded via wifi, every game I've played on Android either defaults to wifi or just plain won't download over the cell network. Crono Trigger's DRM was only a problem for a select minority who need to invent improbable hypothetical situations.

Still, it doesn't need to do that. It's pretty overreaching. It shouldn't have to download bits and pieces and keep checking in.

As to Erdrick's data plan, that's insane. Your parents are just wasting their money. I've got a 3 gig that's shared with my family. I stream TuneIn and XM daily and it barely makes a dent. I don't think I've ever gone over a gig.

Still, it doesn't need to do that. It's pretty overreaching. It shouldn't have to download bits and pieces and keep checking in.

Eeeh, piracy is pretty rampant on Android. They have to do something.

i see no probs with portrt mode this is phon games

ppl want big resultion they play on tvs

havin dq on phons is good for liter versons but evry1 wll complin even if not for them

They are wasting their time because despite their best efforts, the hackers always come out on top. Not being able to play a game you paid for because for whatever reason you don't have an internet connection is not acceptable.

• Upvote 1

Ugh, that portrait view is horrible. The frame rate doesn't necessarily bug me because I'm sure it'll run better on the iPad, but seriously make this game landscape. This is quite sacrilegious to the great Dragon Quest VIII.

It is, but their DRM is pretty bat-$#!&. You have to connect to the internet a random time of any number when you start, with FFD, it checked the license sometimes once every time I opened it during the day, others, it waited 10 times, others, 5, others 3.

It should have a simple buy-check ONCE, considering.

I had to download a hacked copy of the Google Play store to play my copy of FFD, and I paid full price for dat.

They are wasting their time because despite their best efforts, the hackers always come out on top. Not being able to play a game you paid for because for whatever reason you don't have an internet connection is not acceptable.

This is true, because while I bought FF1 and FFD, I downloaded FF5 and it plays perfectly.

Ugh, that portrait view is horrible. The frame rate doesn't necessarily bug me because I'm sure it'll run better on the iPad, but seriously make this game landscape. This is quite sacrilegious to the great Dragon Quest VIII.

Calm thyself, as well as the rest of you. The DQ8 demo was just that, a demo.

It'll run in landscape-only like every other SE port when it comes here, unless Apple or Android releases a SquarePad.

I agree, defeating piracy is futile. But SE has shareholders, licensees, creators to whom they pay royalties; these elements demand that they at least appear to be doing something to stem piracy even if it doesn't work. Not implementing DRM is like tacit approval to pirate their games. 

As for not being able to play the game because of a lack of internet connection... Again, I don't think it's a real problem for anyone. If you had a Venn diagram that included smartphone owners and people who can't find internet access, the circles wouldn't even touch. For the first three months that I had my smartphone, I was on the minimum data plan. I kept mobile data off at all times and was able to find wifi everywhere. The improbable event of one of their customers being inconvenienced does not outweigh SE's need to prevent a very certain IP infringement.  

The actual data usage for SE's DRM is none, all they do is a license check. Too bad their version of Chrono Trigger is still unplayable, as of Android 4.3

I disagree with this. Not that I am in the smartphone gaming market, but...

I got my smartphone by getting a national calls plan (same fee, no matter where from the country is the other phone, and I pay no roaming no matter where in the country I am). I turn down any offers of data plans I get, because I would simply not use them (at work, contact me through email; at home, I could check using my WiFi).

I can also get more cell phones each year with the same plan. I can use them as gifts if I want. So someone else gets a new smartphone with absolutely no plan.

So, there are people with smartphones who have no all-day-long data access. Whether they want to play games or not is another topic, but that Venn diagram would have these two groups intersect more than you think.

You lot are overanalyzing the whole data thing. It's a DRM check that doesn't use anything.

Annoying? Yes. Kills a plan? No.

I disagree with this. Not that I am in the smartphone gaming market, but...

I got my smartphone by getting a national calls plan (same fee, no matter where from the country is the other phone, and I pay no roaming no matter where in the country I am). I turn down any offers of data plans I get, because I would simply not use them (at work, contact me through email; at home, I could check using my WiFi).

I can also get more cell phones each year with the same plan. I can use them as gifts if I want. So someone else gets a new smartphone with absolutely no plan.

So, there are people with smartphones who have no all-day-long data access. Whether they want to play games or not is another topic, but that Venn diagram would have these two groups intersect more than you think.

Can I ask who your carrier is because I have never heard of anything like this. The carrier generally sells the smartphone at a loss and then makes a profit from the data plan. What phone do you have and how much did you have to pay upfront for it?

• Upvote 1

I have a Nokia with a keyboard. The touch phone I got later was for my boyfriend, so I do not know the model.

I did not have to pay anything but had to sign a one-year plan contract each time.

The carrier is Telcel.

Those are probably feature phones, not smartphones.

Edited by Excitemike

A smartphone has one of four OSs, Windows Phone, Android, BlackberryRIM, and iOS. There's a few lesser ones, but nothing much more.

There are feature phones that run lower versions of Android. The real difference between a feature phone and a smartphone is the price, hence the mandatory data plan. 

Other option would be to accumulate points by not getting any new phones in a couple of years, then redeeming them in a higher price phone later on. As you mentioned, too, there is a choice to pay for the difference, if you do want certain phone your current points cannot afford. But the point is, people can have them without a data plan.

But the point is, people can have them without a data plan.

No, because if you took the sim card out of your phone and put in an iphone your carrier would automatically charge you for the data plan. It might be different with your carrier but that's the way AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile work. They will not provide any service to a smartphone unless there is a data plan.

The problem is my data is off - completely. My parents can check online to see my data usage and if I've used it for anything other than an emergency (checking bus routes, etc.), they will take my phone away. And a lot of places I can't get wifi. Even at school - my account doesn't work so I can't log in. I've already contacted the school and school district about it and they say they can't do anything about it.

But the point is, people can have them without a data plan.

No, because if you took the sim card out of your phone and put in an iphone your carrier would automatically charge you for the data plan. It might be different with your carrier but that's the way AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile work. They will not provide any service to a smartphone unless there is a data plan.

I have an iPhone 4 with T-Mobile, no data plan.  I use the pre-paid, pay-as-you-go plan ($0.10 / minute, no data a few cents / text).  When I need data for the day (normally don't need it...), it's $2.00 for the day.  You could always do this with T-Mobile, and since January when they changed their philosophy to more 'bring-your-own-phone,' it's even less of a headache than it used to be.

How old are you, Erdrick? You can get a phone and use it with Straight Talk and get unlimited 3G/4G data for $45 a month. (( It's closer to 3 or so gigs a month, but that's a ton anyway. )) 

17. I'll be 18 in a few months. Then I can get a job and do whatever I like with my phone  :)

17. I'll be 18 in a few months. Then I can get a job and do whatever I like with my phone  :)

you mean, you can handle a job just with your phone? >.<

No I need a job for money to pay my own phone bill lol