This is kind of a dumb question, but...

Is there any way to get new Guard Monsters in DQM: Caravan Heart?  I mean, I know you can use the breeding system, but I want to know if you can recruit monsters in the wild/any other way!!

• Upvote 2

No, you cannot recruit wild monsters.  You do get a few more monsters are part of the story, but you are mostly supposed to use the breeding system to get new monsters.

Yep, there are 6 guard monsters in total.  I actually think that was one of the weaknesses of the game.  I wanted to do a lot more reforming, but it's hard to experiment when the reformed monsters will be in your active team.

Yeah, the first three you get with the wagons are part of the story, while the remaining three are, as far as I recall, optional.

There's the statue kid you can buy in that island town on the way to Rhone / Londarkia, the zombie that's at the top of the lighthouse, and one of those tidal wave guys at the end of an orb dungeon. I know the last there is post-game, but I don't know what triggers the hork / walking corpse wanting to join you, although I believe you do have to have Machua (the tamer girl) on your team. I might be mistaken with the details here.

Edited by PantheonSasuke

Yeah, Zugats (the statue), Smith (the Hork) and Weber (the tidal wave) usually see no action on my team since the other three are pimped out already. 

I've heard rumors of a 7th guard monster named Dober.  Apparently available in the Dragon's Lord castle or something?  I have been all through there and did not recruit anybody, but maybe I have to go back through again?  Anyone know anything about that?