Sign in to follow this  
Motdrafin

Amano or Toriyama?

I don't really think the art-styles can be compared as they are both very different. Amano's reminds me of "India" for some strange reason, spices and silk rugs <.<. Whereas Toriyama's seem like they're telling me to stop taking life so seriously :laugh:

Amano uses thin lines and really light colours, except for black and red, which always stands out. His art-style really leaves a deep impression of the exotic. The characters also always seem to have a sense of mystery about them, which I think is because of the thin elongated style and thin eyes and sharp noses he uses for characters. Which makes it seem like they really are another race from a fantasy world. Now after I've said all that. The characters never actually look like that in FF, they're usually sprites (for the ones he designed for) and only have the portraits.

Now, Toriyama. The style is more humorous, which makes sense since he specialized in gag and moved onto defining "shonen" (Boys) battle manga. He uses a lot of circles in his work. His lines are thicker, Some features such as hair is more exaggerated, I've found the most noticable things about his work are eyes, noses, the way he draws cheek colouring (squiggly lines on the face) and finally tongues. There's a ton of Mobs and villains with long hanging tongues in his artwork! The art-style is more laid-back, and not as serious as Amano's.

So now, that I've spoken about my feelings about the two different styles, let me actually answer the question.

In terms of general art-style, I feel the two are incomparable.

in terms of designing for an RPG and which is more suitable, i feel it is TORIYAMA'S as it reflects more in the games themselves than Amano's do. :lrsmile:

• Upvote 1

;) When it comes to monster Designs, Toriyama wins all the way though I wish I could say the same for his Character designs, ah well, can't have everything. Yeah Amano's work is like a painting but wow does he like to use random colors. Also, for those cosplayers out there, I think Toriyama's works are more "Cosplay Friendly" when compared to Amano's stuff.

;) When it comes to monster Designs, Toriyama wins all the way though I wish I could say the same for his Character designs, ah well, can't have everything. Yeah Amano's work is like a painting but wow does he like to use random colors. Also, for those cosplayers out there, I think Toriyama's works are more "Cosplay Friendly" when compared to Amano's stuff.

Yeah, Toriyama tends to, um, reuse a lot of similar designs. It might be why a lot of his post-Dragon Ball stories feature cartoonish characters of different races and species.

Yeah, Toriyama tends to, um, reuse a lot of similar designs. It might be why a lot of his post-Dragon Ball stories feature cartoonish characters of different races and species.

Now that I think about--i actually think you make very good point, eal. If I look at Dr.Slump and Dragonball and compare it with say Jaco or even all the aliens in DBZ as opposed to the original story arc  I can see what you mean..

Oh geez, i'm glad my girlfriend wasn't here to see this topic. We would be debating for hours about it. Mostly because i like to play the devils advocate.

Although i really like dragon quests art style, I honestly prefer Amanos work. There is just  abit of charm to some of the stuff he does. Even though you can't really tell when someone is a boy or a girl.

I honestly prefer Amanos work. There is just  abit of charm to some of the stuff he does. Even though you can't really tell when someone is a boy or a girl.

Girls are blonde. Boys have silver hair.

I honestly prefer Amanos work. There is just  abit of charm to some of the stuff he does. Even though you can't really tell when someone is a boy or a girl.

Girls are blonde. Boys have silver hair.

Amano is a great artist and all but hair should not be the only factor in determining a person's gender in art. The male and female form are very different from each other.

;) Though with the way Amano draws his characters it's unnecessarily difficult to tell sometimes. :P

None, though i love Dr. Slump, Akira Toriyama tends to repeat the same art for his characters, but the monster that he make are really awesome. About Amano, i love his art, but in any of the early Final Fantasy you could not say which character were which and that´s the point of design a character, to be reflected on the game.

;) When I was younger and first got Final Fantasy IX, I saw Amano's artwork for Zidane and honestly thought Zidane was a girl with a Monkey's Tail at first.