Sign in to follow this  
Motdrafin

Amano or Toriyama?

After admiring the works of these two artists, I came to think, which one is better? In my opinion, I prefer Amano's artwork, as it can grasp me in such a way that I could stare for hours and hours to come. Toriyama, on the other hand, is still very awesome (He illustartes concept art for Dragon Quest, how could he not be!), though many of his character designs are repetitive, such as Crono and the Dragon Quest VI Hero: 

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/D/Dragon%20Quest%20VI/Everything%20Else/ART/Finished/122010_dragonquestvi_obs01--article_image.jpg

Toriyama creates amazing monster design though, something Amano isn't as good at.

Some of my favorites from Amano:

http://sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ffvi.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/FFV_characters_Amano.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120707010338/finalfantasy/images/b/b8/FFIV_DS_Cover_Art.jpg

http://bulkinfo.org/boxff/wiki/Amano_Warrior_II.jpg

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6/graphics/sketch/mog.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/b/b2/Amano_Firion_III.jpg

Some of my favorites from Toriyama:

http://gamefiles.alphacoders.com/boxart/original/front/thumb-3559-2.jpg

http://lvls.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/dq-famicom1.jpg

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/dq/img/nes/dw2/art/dw2-01.jpg

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/dragon-warrior-iii-nes-box-art-japan_55.jpg

Feel free to share your opinions!

Edited by Motdrafin
  • Upvote 6

Toriyama, though more cartoony and somewhat repetitive, is still awesome to look at.

Amano's looks more realistic, not to mention he was a character designer for Tatsunoko Production until 1967-1982. However, it can be hard to comprehend his FFVI box artwork.

I think both of them are awesome, but they do have their flaws. I know, shallow reasoning, but try to bear with it.

Edited by Chanticleer Hegemony
  • Upvote 4

I'd have to say, neither. I prefer the more older manga/anime artists, I just like the different styles and stuff.

• Upvote 2

I don't look at enough of Amano's artwork to compare the two, but I am a fan of Toriyama's video game work. (I haven't looked through much of his other works, as I don't pay much attention to anime or manga, but I'm sure it's great too.)

He is quite repetetive. Besides DQ6 Hero/Crono, I swear I've seen another character he drew that looked just like Chamoro/Nevan. At first I thought this character was from Chrono Trigger as well, but I couldn't find him on the Chrono Trigger Wiki. However, while looking at the wiki I found a picture of the character Magus, who looks a lot like Dhoulmagus. I wouldn't be surprised if Dhoulmagus wasn't even close to the original japanese name and they changed it as a nod to CT.

(I haven't played very far into Chrono Trigger, just so you guys know. I tried it out when I got Final Fantasy Chronicles or whatever FF4+CT is on the PS1, but I couldn't stand the battle system at the time. Maybe I'll try it out again soon. After Earthbound.)

• Upvote 2

Neither of these are Toriyama. The DQ IV, and the majority of DQ art these days is by Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru. The Slime Morimori art is by the author of the various slime mangas whose name escapes me at the moment.

• Upvote 2

I've never liked Amano's artwork... as well drawn as it is, all the guys are too... girly?

• Upvote 2

Dwaine: Oh, I thought they were Toriyama..

I'll edit those out and replace them with others.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of Toriyama being the actual artist of those pictures, all Dragon Quest artwork is done in his style and he is the one that designed the characters, including the ones in IV and VII.

• Upvote 1

Dwaine: ..I feel like an idiot..

I'll put the examples as the Famicom boxes.

Realm of Darkness links go to a "forbidden" page.

I would like to see a 3D remake of Final Fantasy VI using cel-shaded Amano style artwork.  I probably couldn't afford to buy it and I doubt anyone else would, but I think it would be better than the demand for the fancy graphic remake of FFVII.  Cel-shaded FFVII would just be DQVIII with a dark, mysterious story.  Or would it?  :ws-slimedead:

That would be so awesome!!! I think the closest we have so far to Amano's work in 3D is in Dissidia.

That is true.  I could only play that game in RPG mode and after figuring that out, it was much better.  I let Terra and Sephiroth do the running and dodging while inputing the Kingdom Hearts commands.  I hope the balance of these features is good in FFXV.  I noticed Toriyama only does the lead character designs lately.  Who are the new up and coming artists at SE since FFX?

All I ever see coming out of Square Enix are Nomura's designs, which I'm frankly getting tired of. I thought the Dissidia character artwork was pretty awesome, but FFXV is getting iffy for me. To me it almost seems like Noctis is designed after what he himself wants to look like. I think the game is shaping up to be pretty cool but the thought of playing these buff super-Japanese looking guys with some trendy Japanese haircuts is kinda weird. 

Basically, FFXV seems to be kind of a sausage fest and I'd like to see some new artists come out of SE, or hell, I'll take Amano back as lead character designer. His stuff is polarizing, but it's got depth.

Dwaine: ..I feel like an idiot..

I'll put the examples as the Famicom boxes.

Good, you should. You should also be punished for not being a True Fan!

You really have to have an eye for it. Toriyama has a certain line quality. Usually it's a little scratchier or thicker. Nakatsu's lines are a little smoother and closer to what you see in the Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump anime. These days it's the box art and initial character designs that are pure Toriyama. Monsters I'm not sure. With all the stuff for DQ V, the only pure Toriyama works are the young and old hero, young and old Bianca, young and old Borongo, Papas, the box cover, manual cover, and monsters. Even some of Toriyama's pure work has the work of others in it. he's often stated that during Dragon Ball he only drew the characters and the backgrounds were by his assistant.

I really like Amano's art style. I love the way it looks, and how he has characters doing something else than fighting. Also, he (like Toriyama) fills the illustrations with details and mosnters, which is good.

Both are "repetitive". Toriyama has like 3 different faces. But so does Amano (and he uses the same faces on girls and boys).

I like that Amano gives his characters different clothing for each illustration. Sometimes he even gives them different hairstyles and even facial hair (as with Mash, who has beard in one pic, where he seems to have been away, training). Those are small details that mean a lot to me.

But...

They must be a nightmare to the sprite/ model designers. I suppose someone on that team simply decides to come up with their own (usable) version (like those small pictures for the Final Fantasy VI guys).

I do like to base my pics of FF guys on the Amano versions. Even if everyone ends up being a blond girly face thin boy.

Now, about Tori... I love his character design skills. He is good with creating clothes and equipment. Even if something has no apparent, practical use, he still makes it look awesome. He has very clean lines, so his work must be very good for creating sprites and models. His monsters are also very good.

But I do not base my pics completely on what his art looks like. I respect the clothes' design and all, but I simply try to come up with a face that could work for the characters. I guess I do not like Toriyama fan art that is made to look like Toriyama art (what with each person being able to create their own style, I do not know why they would try to become clones of someone else; also, if I wanted to see Toriyama style art, I would go look for Bird Studio, not fan art).

I don't think they can really be compared as both artists are sooo different. That being said, I do prefer Amano's art over Toriyama, it just feels more fanciful to me.

Toriyama's artwork is more refined and defined. Yes, some of them look similar... or like twins but they rock do they not? They are so different and enticing. I've always wanted to draw like him but not copy his style. I've incorporated some of his techniques into my own artwork. I love Toriyama

We_love_Toriyama_by_AnnouncerGuy.png

@Ljink: Did you draw that?

• Upvote 1

I think Amano is a better artist, although I prefer Toriyama's cartoony designs. Don't get me wrong though, I love both art-styles a lot, its just Amano has a very refined art-style, and seems to have stuck quite comfortably with it through the years.

@Ljink: Did you draw that?

Oh heck no! I don't mean to brag but I actually could.

I personally prefer Nomura over the two of them.

They made a very poor decision puting Amano's artwork in FFV's mobile port. They didn't do anything to it, just made Bartz look like a girl, as usual.

Edited by Ryu

I don't find Amano's style "realistic". 

Amano's design are usually so different from the character design in game (Not even talking about FF5), yhey looks more like artworks for me.

Not sur if it makes sense...

They are really beautifull, sure, but they are completely unconnected from the game, when Toriyama is more linked to the actual game. You can play lot of FF without having a single Idea who Amano is, and how his style look like. 

Toriyama... He invented the Slimes, and most of the Monsters design. I could never love him enough for that. 

I'm slightly less fan of his character artworks however.

So, I don't have the same attachement for Amano than from Toriyama.

Being behind both Chrono Tiger, and the DQ series' design make me like it more.

Edited by Holy Slime Knight