Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

The Thread for People Who Hate Their Jobs

I hate my job.

I work for a company that is contracted out by the cruise lines to provide ground transportation.  I have six years experience in this field and I am the supervisor of bus transportation.  It's a very thankless job.  If things go smoothly, you spend about 1 minute with a guest.  If things don't go smoothly, you spend an hour or more getting $#!&@ed at them.  But you can't really get mad at the guests because it usually is your fault they're waiting so long. 

Then you have the longshoreman.  These guys are real $#!& piece scumbags.  Their union is pretty much the hegemonic power at the pier, which is a god damn shame because they're thugs through and through.  Over the years, I've seen them do all sorts of criminal things.  Sexually harass female guests, ship crew and female longshoremen.  Imply to guests that they'll steal their luggage if they're not tipped properly.  Brag about dealing drugs on the side.  Bare in mind, these dudes get like 50 dollars an hour, plus make on average about 200 dollars in tips a day so the fact they're dealing drugs on the side when they're not really hurting for cash shows how greedy these guys are.  You can't do anything about it either.  If you "snitch" on a longshoreman, they retaliate by refusing to pick up bus luggage until the very last possible minute.

Then there are the elements.  I am perpetually sunburned.  I've tried using sunblock but it doesn't help.  Then you are also constantly surrounded by bus fumes as hell.  I'm fairly certain that the combination of the two is what has led to my premature balding.

So yeah, it's a job that can't be good for my health and is incredibly thankless.  I'd quit but I get paid fairly well.  I'm waiting to take a certificate program for logistics, but that's a ways off.

There was an incident today, which is what finally triggered this topic.  Due to a series of conditions beyond my control, we had about 800 guests waiting in line for a bus.  Then, to augment problems the longshoremen were cutting in front of the line, which were pissing off all the guests that had at that point been waiting an hour or more.  Eventually I saw one longshoreman come up and try to cut so I said something like "Hey man, sorry but you can't unload right there."  He got defensive and was like "you can't tell me what to do". I told him he needs to go to the back of the line and wait like everyone else.  He said no.  I told him again, with a harsher tone.  He told me to watch my tone.  I told him to watch HIS tone and act like a professional.  Then I told him again to go to the back of the line.  Eventually he told me he was going to jump me in the parking lot.  That was the final straw at that point.  I got pissed off, threw down my clip board and told him I didn't want to wait.  If he was going to make a move, make it now.  Hit me right there.  Please hit me.  Do it dude.  Hit me.

Another longshoreman came over and grabbed him at that point

• Upvote 5

Wow. At least your job is interesting. At least you HAVE a job.

I hate not having a job. I'd try to get one but my parents think that even at 17, that I couldn't handle a job. So I decided to take some college classes paid for by my high school instead.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I spent like two years without a job and it sucked big time.  My company went else where because our ships stopped visiting this port and I didn't want to go with them so I was left behind.   I just started working again, now that we have some ships again, and I'm starting to remember why I wasn't sad when they left in the first place.

It's extremely demoralizing not being gainfully employed so I feel you there.  You begin questioning your selfworth.  I hate to say it, but I was considering some dark thoughts for a quick minute.  Everything felt so hopeless.

• Upvote 3

Your parents don't think you could handle a job just because you're 17? When I was 17 I was the only person I knew WITHOUT a job.

• Upvote 1

I don't work, but I do go to school. I'm surrounded by so many idiots. "If I pay my liability, it goes up!" And at this point, I face palm(it has been 1 month. They should get it by now)

• Upvote 1

Damn man, that really sucks. I hope that your income does make it somewhat bearable, like you say. Torment is torment, whether it is because of unemployment (myself) or because of what happens at the workplace.

When I was 17, and even before that, my dad wouldn't let me get a job because he thought making money at that age would make me quit school, yet somehow he expected me to go to college when we were economically struggling. 

Hope things get better for you. Or better yet, make them better yourself. Hope that doesn't sound rude, though I usually don't go with the mindset that things "will get better". Rather, "I make things better, when I want to whenever I want to". Easier said than done, I know  >.<, but it helps to lie to yourself every now and then  :)

Edited by Flute_Warrior
  • Upvote 1

Just the other day I was wondering if you were still dealing with all that. Sorry to hear you're still putting up with it all.

I don't hate my job, but I often hate the people in my field. Many of the prevalent personalities in the creative field are outright poison. They say it's important to network, but there have only been a select few I can saw I've been enriched by meeting. Ego, arrogance, wearing depression like a badge of honor - it puts you in a state of mind that you're bad no matter what you do. Sometimes it's OK to be an island. Pushing all that out of my life has lead to more healthy growth, increased my confidence and overall happiness.

• Upvote 1

Wow, that's some incident.  I am glad to hear you made it home to make this post. I am sure we have all felt like telling off some jack-ass like that, but I certainly have never had the guts to do so.  Of course it helps that I am rarely in such a situation.  I can't imagine what it would be like to work in that kind of atmosphere all the time.

It seems like karma struck me for making this topic.

Today after work, I had to attend a 2 and a half hour meeting.  At the meeting, it was revealed that my boss two levels above me is leaving the company at the end of October.  My immediate boss is going to be promoted to that person's duties.  To alleviate my boss's work load, they are giving some his work load to me.  So now on top of all the crap I have to deal with, I now have to spend time at home doing all sorts of dumb ass paper work and ordering buses and what not.

And I'm not getting a promotion/raise.

&#036;#&#33;&amp; man, that sucks.

I can't help but replay this Seinfeld transcript upon hearing about this latest development:

GEORGE: You wanted to see me, Mr. Steinbrenner?

STEINBRENNER: Yes, George, please, come in, come in.

STEINBRENNER: You can stop kowtowing to Morgan. Congratulations, you got his job.

GEORGE: Wa, uh, thank you sir, you know I am not quite sure I'm right for it.

STEINBRENNER: Stop it George, he's out, you're in.

STEINBRENNER: A lot more work you know.

GEORGE: I know.

STEINBRENNER: A lot more responsibility. Long long hours.

GEORGE: I know.

STEINBRENNER: Not much more money...

Gotta love it when that happens.  Hope things start looking up!

What you did was very brave. Whether it was bottled up frustration or not does not matter, you stood up to that guy. I think at least some of the people in the waiting line cheered for you.

I hope that guy's all bark. I would not want him to bring his friends and follow up his threats.

Will this new situation be permanent? You dealing with part of your boss's work, I mean. Or will they get someone else to cover that job (so things go back to normal and you only have your usual work load)? Is there a chance that they realize you would be good to fill up his position? I hope it does not disappear. Either you or someone new should fill it up, instead of having those responsibilities spread out among other people.

And 50 dollars an hour? Join their job, man. I do have to work way, WAY longer than that to get 50 dollars. And I have a decently paid job.

-----

About working as a teen... My father always taught us about the benefits of commerce when opportunities existed, even as young kids. If there was a product in demand and we could provide it (mostly, milk candies manufactured in his hometown that could not be easily found in mine), we could take that opportunity and get money from it. Too bad I am so totally not into commerce. I hate selling things, just as I hate people offering to sell things to me (when I want to buy something, I can go to great lengths to get it, without someone asking me if I want it).

But he also told us our first and only priority was school. We would get the obligation to work later in life, so there was no immediate rush to start when we did not have to.

However, he never stopped us from doing anything that would not get in the way of our studies. I got a part-time job (at the comic book store, no less) so I could get more money to buy more comics. They only asked my brother to take things easy when he was working as a swimming teacher/ lifeguard. He spent so much time at work and ended up very tired, so there was risk of not having energy for school. They let him continue, though.

• Upvote 1

What you did was very brave. Whether it was bottled up frustration or not does not matter, you stood up to that guy. I think at least some of the people in the waiting line cheered for you.

I hope that guy's all bark. I would not want him to bring his friends and follow up his threats.

Will this new situation be permanent? You dealing with part of your boss's work, I mean. Or will they get someone else to cover that job (so things go back to normal and you only have your usual work load)? Is there a chance that they realize you would be good to fill up his position? I hope it does not disappear. Either you or someone new should fill it up, instead of having those responsibilities spread out among other people.

And 50 dollars an hour? Join their job, man. I do have to work way, WAY longer than that to get 50 dollars. And I have a decently paid job.

1 - Yeah, I think the guests were all pretty happy with my reaction.  Like I said, I got tipped by one guest for that lol.  They were just as frustrated as I was.  I don't think the longshoreman will back up his "bark".  He's known as being a "tough guy" but not really backing it up.  I'm not worried at all.  And frankly, I rank my chances of dealing with him as pretty well.

2 - Pretty sure it's going to be a permanent situation, at least as long as I work there.  It's not really a matter of them not recognizing my abilities.  They're already very well aware of my abilities.  That is why they're entrusting them to me.  They're looking to basically reduce money though, by taking this opportunity to essentially eliminate a position, hence why my boss is going to keep doing his duties on top of taking on new ones, while I get a handful of his old duties.  The difference is he's getting a raise, and I'm not.

3- I'd rather die than become a longshoreman.  It's bad enough I have to deal with those guys as much as I do.  I could never live with myself if I became that which I hate.  Even if I wanted to become one, it's not exactly easy.  You have to become a casual, work a certain amount of hours (takes about 5 years), then you become full time.  I have a friend who is trying to become a longshoreman.  She's been a casual for 7 years, has almost twice the hours needed to qualify for full time, but there are only so many positions available and they're backed up promoting people to full time.  She has connections too, her dad is a longshoreman boss and fairly well respected within the union.  So yeah, that's how tough it is right now 

All I can say is that it's bull*&$% you aren't getting a pay increase.  If the customers would only complain about the bad@$$ to the right bosses... 

Too bad you didn't have a button to call the Mr. Burns of the company.  "Fire that man, Smithers!"

In the meantime, I can't help feeling guilty that my last job basically handed me over to the social security office (mentally.)  I just couldn't take working anymore.  It was suggested by the unemployment office that I sue them, but similiar to something you posted, I tried calling the labor board on a bad boss in the past and it just made me look like a crybaby tattletale.  The woman promoted into his position was not happy about it and now they are taking a big dump on her legitimate disability claim.

:bored:  Just thinking about it still bubbles my babbles! :baa:

Better days will arrive I can only hope.  Oh... and thank you... :upperslime:

Edited by foxfirenelli

If I could go back in time, I would encourage my younger self to get a job sooner.

I am a waitress/barista at a small restaurant.

We have few customers lately, and it isn't helped by our lack of EFTPOS.

Thankfully we got the landline back up, but we'd been without a landline phone for over half a year before that.

I don't think of my waitress/bar skills as anything worth mention, but most of the time we have so few customers that it feels as if I spend more time looking for things to do than actually doing them.

My pay is currently backlogged by at least a month. I don't make much per hour, even so, they do stack up.

Don't get me wrong; this job has been WAY worse - being called at 11:50am to start at 12 (in town but no car) and having to take a taxi... for neither compensation nor a shift that covers the taxi fare to get there, not being forewarned when we DO have bookings, it wears a person down. Bad hours and worse minutes.

Now my hours have settled into okay regular ones, but the minutes drag.

Think of the money... truth is, most of the time I try not to.

It's better than being unemployed, but that isn't saying much.

Saro, I was surprised a woman is trying to become a longshoreman, or that it is even possible. Not because they could not do the job, but because of how you described to guys' behavior. If a lot of jobs with many guys might be uncomfortable for women because of harrassment and the like, those thugs would have to take it to a whole new level.

I hope she becomes full time soon and teaches them how to do thee job correctly.

Saro, I was surprised a woman is trying to become a longshoreman, or that it is even possible. Not because they could not do the job, but because of how you described to guys' behavior. If a lot of jobs with many guys might be uncomfortable for women because of harrassment and the like, those thugs would have to take it to a whole new level.

I hope she becomes full time soon and teaches them how to do thee job correctly.

There aren't many women, from what I've seen.  The ones I have met, I feel kind of bad for since like I mentioned above, they have to deal with a lot of sexual harassment and machismo antics.  They seem to take it in stride though and accept it as part of the job.  My friend has it a bit better though.  Her father is pretty high on the totem poke, a fact she actively broadcasts when she works.  No one messes with her in fear of pissing off her father.

i admir them must be tuff but i wish them did no hav to all the time ppl shuld treat them wit respect

thos guys are empty insid and justry to abuse other u shuld be prowd ppl do see ur talent evn if they no want to pay more sadly

i admir them must be tuff but i wish them did no hav to all the time ppl shuld treat them wit respect

thos guys are empty insid and justry to abuse other u shuld be prowd ppl do see ur talent evn if they no want to pay more sadly

what? errr i'll leave this for Dwaine to post some smert gif

I admire them. Must be tough, but I wish they did not have to all the time. People should treat them with respect.

Those guys are empty inside and just trying to abuse others. You should be proud people do see your talent even if they do not want to pay you more sadly.

There. Fixed.

• Upvote 1

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226

• Upvote 1

Update:

Shitbhas truly hit the fan. My boss who took on the responsibilities of the one who quit is now quitting himself. That means his resoonsibilities that he took on as well as his own responsibities are now being inherited by yours truly. I now have a crapload of duties as well as hours of unpaid labor time at home. All with no raise.

I need to get out of here

Update:

Shitbhas truly hit the fan. My boss who took on the responsibilities of the one who quit is now quitting himself. That means his resoonsibilities that he took on as well as his own responsibities are now being inherited by yours truly. I now have a crapload of duties as well as hours of unpaid labor time at home. All with no raise.

That really sucks. If I was you, I'd quit that job. Just make sure you have a bit of security first though. Without a steady income, things will get pretty tight. I guess you could get unemployment for a while(I'm assuming that is a thing where you live). Either way, you should probably get right out of there ASAP.

Update:

That really sucks. If I was you, I'd quit that job. Just make sure you have a bit of security first though. Without a steady income, things will get pretty tight. I guess you could get unemployment for a while(I'm assuming that is a thing where you live). Either way, you should probably get right out of there ASAP.

Update:

Oh trust me, I'm looking.  I'm going to step it up a notch though now things are utterly deteriorating though.  Outright quitting isn't really an option though, since I don't think I'd get much from Unemployment to really cover my month-to-month costs.