AustNerevar

Need A Little DQ V Advice. Endgame Spoilers?

I'm having a fair deal of trouble defeatingthough my Grandmaster Nimzo's final form. I've been alternating grinding sessions in Nadiria and trekking up to Nimzo's area to take attempts at bringing him down. I just can't manage it. I've gotten better, though...his first form just takes a few hits with Kazapple and some potshots and he's toast. Unfortunately, his second form is another story.

I'm around level 53 or so, with my lowest leveled party member being my wife at level 48. I have the Great Sabre cat, a Slime Knight, and a Great Dragon with me. I found some tips to take on a Golem, but, from looking at the stats, it seems the Great Dragon has higher attributes. Is there something I'm missing, because it seems everyone recommends the Golem and I see nothing regarding the Great Dragon.

Also, should I drop my Slime Knight and try to recruit a King Cure slime? I don't relish the thought of training another monster ALL the way to be equal with my party members.

Which brings me to another question...even though my recently recruited Great Dragon is only around level 10, his attributes were comparable to my old, level fifty monsters. Is this because he was amongst the 'tougher' monsters when I got him, in Nadiria? I guess this is a newbie question regarding just the monster system in Dragon Quest, itself. I grew up playing Pokémon and that system is quite different. Would I actually need to grind these low level monsters up to around level fifty just to bring them up to speed for the boss fight?

Sorry, guys, I know there are a lot of questions, here, but I'm still relatively new to Dragon Quest. I picked up DQ5 earlier this year, as my first DQ game and, really, one of my first JRPGs (Pokémon aside), in general. However, I believe DQ5 has made me a fan for life!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

• Upvote 3

I brought a King Cureslime with me. Trust me, it's worth the effort. They are fantastic healers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I used Hero, Wife, Son, Daughter, Great Sabercat, Great Dragon, Killing Machine, and Gigantes. It worked quite well for me. I used my Daughter, Wife, Killing Machine, and Great Dragon against Nimzo. Whenever one of them died(usually it was Wife and Daughter), I brought out Hero and Son to replace them. It worked for me.

• Upvote 1

Levels in DQ5 aren't equal with the monsters.  Often monsters that start with high stats and low levels will have low level limits, but they will grow a lot per level.  If the stats are comparable to what you have right now then they will fight just as well as every one else.  I think the king cureslime starts off pretty strong so you don't need to worry about leveling it too much.  As for the great dragon vs. golem, I think their base stats were about the same but golem could equip better armor and weapons.  Personally I liked having Son in the later boss battles, he had multiheal for when my cureslime wasn't enough.

I don't know if the PS2 version levels are equal to the DS game, but when me and my wife played the PS2 version together, we had all the human characters, plus the Sabercat. The biggest boo boo we made against Nimzo/Mildrath was not knowing he had bounce right at the start of the fight. I think it was kafrizzle I tried hitting him with- oops. Thank God you have backup in the wagon.

I'm surprised people used the wife and daughter. I never thought they were any good. For me it was the hero, the son, King Cureslime, and I think I used a Golem.

The only reason to prefer a Golem over a Great Dragon is ease of recruitment.  Golems practically throw themselves at you, whereas you really need to work for a Great Dragon.  In terms of stats and resistances, Great Dragon's outclass the Golems.  The downside is that you get them later in the game, so it takes a bit more work to bring them up to speed. 

King Cureslimes don't take much time to level up at all.  They cap at Level 20 and have amazing stats by that point (particularly MP, which allows them cast Omniheal every turn for the whole battle if you are dishing out enough pain with your other guys).

Slime Knight is pretty versatile as well.  At your levels, you should be fine for taking down Nimzo.  Have you got optimal gear on all your team?  That can go a long way.

Good luck! Let us know how it pans out.

Miracle Swords help a lot. Throw one on your hero, and if you have more, one on a main attacker and one on son. Depending which wife you have depends what to do. If you have Deborah, she's not so hot for the battle, but the other two are perfect for just pummeling with Kafrizzle.

To take from HCBailey, he head his party as Hero, Slime Knight, Son, Bianca with Daughter in reserve. Start battle bikilling slime hero while hero and sk attack and son sets up a barrier. Don't bother with kabuff really, it's severely weakened in DQ5. Slime knight holds a sage stone and play saftey healer (he rarely will attack unless only he is hurt and he has miracle sword equipped). Once those three are all bikilled, Wife keeps pressure with kafrizzle. She or daughter could have that healmore staff for emergencies though. Wife, hero and slimekngiht should have world leaves on them. Son should have the meteorite armband so he can heal fast or barrier fast. Daughter is reserve if you want to have her do the bikilling first so wife saves mp and can kaboom spam if wife runs out of mp and you have no elfins.

Thanks guys. All of your advice helped a great deal. Nimzo wasn't that hard once I got my stuff together. However, the bonus boss is another matter, indeed.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Running VanillaRootBox

Yeah, that bonus boss is a pain. But it leads to great rewards. Keep at it! I recommend a King Cureslime for this fight. No way around it. Without one, it will be a tough fight.

I have one in my team. I tried a couple of times and died quickly. I decided to go ahead and start playing DQ4 (yes, I know, I started them out of order). I'll probably go back to 5 to grind and take out the boss, later. Or I might do it after I beat 4 but before I begin 6.

Just after grinding for so long to beat Nimzo, I was just not in the mood do that again for another boss.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Running VanillaRootBox

Posted (edited)

This was my second topic here and probably why I signed up for the Den. I can't believe I actually had trouble with this boss.

Edited by AustNerevar

What strategy did you end up using all those years ago?

I think my eventual strategy was: Give up and come back two months later and beat him on the first try.

I just thought it was funny because Nimzo is one of the easier DQ bosses. But this was my first DQ game so I guess that was why.

• Like 1

I brought a King Cureslime with me. Trust me, it's worth the effort. They are fantastic healers.
100% worth it. I think I've put in the time for one of these every single time I've played. HealUsAll is the best. It heals everyone in the wagon too. Get the crap beat out of everyone, reserves too, and then pull this guy out for that 1 spell.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
On 9/29/2013 at 7:34 PM, eal said:

100% worth it. I think I've put in the time for one of these every single time I've played. HealUsAll is the best. It heals everyone in the wagon too. Get the crap beat out of everyone, reserves too, and then pull this guy out for that 1 spell.

I wonder how eal from 7 years ago would have responded to you Platty... 🤔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I wonder how eal from 7 years ago would have responded to you Platty... 🤔

10 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

HealUsAll is the best. It heals everyone in the wagon too

Really does exactly what it says on the tin, apparently.

• Like 1

Now if you guys can give me tips on how to deal with the endgame of Your Story.

• Like 1

Get rid of your Netflix subscription.

Press stop. Use your imagination. Prefect ending!

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Be put under a sleep spell by Nimzo. Worked on Bianca and company. 🤣