Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Ryu's Discussions - Piracy.

I like bringing this up once every six months or so. 

What are your views on piracy? (to any degree).

Since emulation and piracy go hand in hand... imma begin.

I think that if you either own a cartridge / media, digital or not, you "own" the title. Sure, some folk (Nintendo for one) view it as "We're allowing you to play it on this game system for as long as you own it." 

But what happens if the game system pops? Or gets stolen? Sure, the company, Nintendo in this case, MIGHT give you that license again, if you get a good-mood manager on the phone that day. (( Other game systems use an account-based medium, meaning if your system breaks? Get another and you're good to go on the games you've digitally bought. ))

But then there's games that have never been re-released in the US, or released at all. Is it piracy to download a ROM of Seiken Densetsu 3 to see what the hype was about it, or playing Lagoon again after many many years? In my opinion? No. Even if you buy a copy of it off ebay or from a flea market, who gets the money? Not the developer. 

Is it piracy to download Super Mario Bros to play on your phone? In my eyes? Kind of. If you have the cartridge sitting on your shelf, to me it's fine, to others it's wrong. But if you have -never- gotten it in any form (( VC and re-releases from the Super Mario World wii disk you can buy )), then yes, it is piracy. If you have access to a Wii or something that can play it? Buy it and play it on it.

Piracy to me, emulation and gaming wise, is downloading something obtainable on current-generation hardware. This means DS, 360, PS3, and to a degree, tablet stuff. (( I downloaded FFV to see if it was worth it, for example. I intend on buying it off Google Play when I can. )) The DS? If you use a flashcart and you don't have the games on your shelf? I'm calling you a pirate and telling you off, because you can still go to Wal Mart and stuff and pick up DS games, making sure the originating company gets money for them. (( Except for Littleist Pet Shop, those kinds of games, shovelware, can go burn in a fire. )) 3DS? You're a pirate. Go buy the game. PS2? Where can you buy NEW PS2 games? You can't. GBA? Nope. 360? Pirate. And so on.

Music?

Meh. Music is a medium where piracy is so rampant I have no opinion on it. I don't buy CDs (( I can't use them )), and if there's a song I want, I typically just download it. I have an iTunes account I use occasionally to buy off-the-wall songs, and I've spent $10 or so on my Google Play buying some Anigumanichui (( I can't spell that )) and other chiptune stuff. I don't listen to mainstream music, so most of my stuff is free in the first place.

Movies? Television?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I am sorry, but I'll download TV if I want to watch it. We only recently got cable, and it's OK I guess, but...

Well, in today's society, you can spend about $60 a month and get cable access along with Hulu and Netflix. You can use that to get station-centric (( Cartoon Network, for example, can be watched on demand with a cable subscription )) apps and stuff. 

I don't watch movies in the theater, and I really don't watch them enough to worry about it. I'll download a season of SVU or something every now and then, but movies and such are watched by the feds and I don't want them at my house.

So what are your thoughts on various kinds of piracy? 

• Upvote 1

in my opinion it's a matter of money as well as logic. for example when it was first released a copy of Pokemon anything version would most likely retail at say $30-$40 now if you want one that isn't a bootleg/fake or one that actually still works you'll probably end up paying as much as the cost of a console in total by the time you get a legit and/or working game. so to me instances like this i can understand why most pirate games. fyi, i don't pirate games. also, in cases of new games example being the current gen gaming i'd not support/condone piracy. if you like it and it's available buy it, but if it's not available from the people that made it aka it's from a price gouger for an outdated machine then it's fair game. simply put: my opinion really depends on the item in question. 

I personally don't pirate games, new or old. Just me. I don't care about people who pirate games that a company can no longer make a profit on. But I agree, if the game is out there on a shelf then buy it. If you like something then support it and you'll get more of it. Simple as that.

I really hate horrible logic people come up with to justify downloading pirated music. "It's not like they don't already make millions of dollars." If everyone held to that philosophy then that wouldn't be the case. I believe in supporting the artist, be it music, video games, comic books, tv, or movies.

I prefer to support the artist directly. It's too bad you can't for mainstream artists.

I buy indie music when I can, from outlet that take a smaller cut, either iTunes or Google or Amazon or something.

Whenever I buy music from lesser-known groups, it's usually on iTunes since a lot of the time they don't have a proper album available or it's just a single song. But when I can, since I also like to own physical CDs I order them directly off their website and just download them onto my computer so I can have it digitally as well.

That's where I differ from most, I use a laptop without a CD drive. I prefer to just put music on a MP3 player and leave it at that.

(( Echoing a discussion I had with another member on VG music, it'd be great if more JP-only CD releases somehow found its way to US-land-based media outlets like iTunes.  DQX OST for example. ))

Aside from a few songs I'd like on my iPod, there isn't a lot in the way of game music I'd like to get. Never been big on melodic music. Unless it was a particularly touching piece or it could get me pumped up, I'm not all that interested in music without lyrics.

I -love- VG music.

I've read your posts. We all know how much you love video game music. :)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I -love- VG music.

Me too.

One good thing about VG music is the remix community, and a lot of games offer OSTs with the stuff too.

OCRemix and some sites release tribute albums and stuff all the time. :D

I -love- VG music.

what self respecting gamer doesn't? ^^ 

I -love- VG music.

what self respecting gamer doesn't? ^^
Me. About 6 years ago I went on a rant here about how I don't even listen to it. I do 99% of my gaming while watching TV or listening to audio books.

I get TV, but audiobooks? How could pay attention to both your game and a story being read to you?

Some people just can.

I got very good at splitting my attention. It was tough for a while, but I think watching the entire Stargate franchise (14 seasons at the time), Ed, and a few other shows all at the same time helped. That and all the audio books I've listened to for the past 14 years on my way to work. Lots of practice.

So on the topic of piracy, what is being done about it? I am sure that piracy activities are being tracked and perhaps kept somewhere, but why doesn't it seem like there is any punishment for it? Is it because they would be arresting and / or fining entire neighborhoods if they decided to crack down on it, and that would break the economy?  Are they just biding their time and waiting for people to rack up a large enough "piracy bill" before they go in for the kill?

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting fined or imprisoned for piracy? I have heard that they are hardest on the distributors and not as much on the downloaders, but I haven't seen any evidence of cracking down on either.  Can someone enlighten me?

Some flashcart distributors are being given fines and jailtime, but that's about it. Piracy as a whole (( BitTorrent, bootleg copies, etc )) is fought daily, and people do go off for it.

As for emulation? Nobody really cares, not even Nintendo. when they send takedown requests and stuff, it's typically for their own IP (( Mario, Zelda, etc )) and to me, that kind of piracy is wrong. If you can get it off VC, get it off VC! (( And then you can download it 'cause you bought it. :P ))

I love video game music. Currently listening to Order of the Holy Lance, from my Persona 2: Innocent Sin mini soundtrack. I even went past the bad synth sound of the Phantasy Star II music (and that is from someone who loves MIDIs) and now I get full 80s anime sequences in my mind whenever I am playing.

But the topic is piracy (again; I think it was less than six months since last time; perhaps one day, but not six months).

I agree on many of Ryu's points. Especially on the "buy it if it is currently available from the publisher/ developer" point. The same for movies and music, though. People who pirate movies mostly go for the new stuff. I think movies and such are not a "right", but a luxury. If they want them for free, at least wait longer (by then, they could watch them on TV). But why do they think they have the right to see them, for free, at the moment they are released? That goes for the Pokémon example, too. If the price is too high, wait.

Another point I feel strongly about: the more purchase power one's got, the less they should be pirating. I can somehow not feel bad about a junior high school kid who wants to play the RPG he cannot (as easily) buy. But when people have a decent job, there is no excuse. No, not even children and house payments are an excuse. You choose to have kids and a house, a sacrifice is less games.

My third point: Pirates do not seem to want to stop or to just do "a little". I have seen guys on GameFAQs (yeww) who just review about every game that comes out. Many of them unfairly, just because it is not the type of game they like. While there must be some guys with a lot of free time and limitless money somewhere in the world who can buy everything, I suspect the majority of these "elite" pseudo reviewers simply pirate games just to say they played them. So, if you will pirate, do it for just a few games, not everything.

As for myself, I like to spend my time with my games. Having an unlimited supply of games (via piracy, or even via infinite money) would mean I would feel pressure to finish games just to play the next one. So I would rather have a few games I like than all the games in the world.

I just hate it when folk go "Buy it off ebay, the legal way!"

So what, I have to buy a cartridge that may or not work, possibly a system as well? Just for the one game I want to play at that moment that never made it here or is avaiable on a Wii or something?

Nope.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting fined or imprisoned for piracy? I have heard that they are hardest on the distributors and not as much on the downloaders, but I haven't seen any evidence of cracking down on either.  Can someone enlighten me?

You rarely ever hear a story about a person getting charged with Piracy. The only story I had read about a person being charged with piracy they had file sharing enabled on their computer and all the music contained in the folder could be downloaded. Though you hear more about the sites dedicated to piracy more then anything like megaupload.

Yeah, I have seen news about Megaupload and The Pirate Bay, but I don't think I have ever heard of any other cases.  I have to think that will change at some point in the coming years. 

One interesting thing I have seen lately is a couple of articles that discuss the positive side of piracy (if one can believe that such a thing exists).  These articles point to how piracy has changed the way people want to have their media provided to them.  Also, there was an article that talked about Netflix uses piracy figures from The Pirate Bay to determine which titles it should seek out to release next.   Of course these articles are quick to point out that such instances are only small benefits of piracy that are largely offset by the vast negative impact on the owners of the content being pirated.

You've never seen the stories where R4 sellers in JP have been jailed?

Why do people hate piracy so much?  It's fairly simple, it deprives the developers of potential money.  What happens when you sell a game to Gamestop?  They sell it at 100% profit and deprive the developers of money.  If you sell games to Gamestop, you are only helping make things worse.  If you buy from Gamestop, you're no worse than the guy who downloads the games, except you've been duped into paying for it.

What can be learned from all of this?  Buy the game day one (preferably not from Gamestop because 90% of their employees don't know a video game for their ass hole) and never sell your games unless it's to a fellow gamer, never sell to Gamestop, Best Buy, Future Shop, etc.

I myself haven't sold a game in...I can't even remember how long.  All my PS3 games and DS/3DS games I've kept.  I did (and still do) have an R4 because I would use that to try games since at the time Nintendo never had downloadable demos and if I liked the game enough I'd go out and buy it.  Piracy isn't all bad.

• Upvote 1