Sign in to follow this  
mma0701

Feelings towards DLC and Digital Downloads

Maybe I'm old fashioned as I grew up playing the NES (I was born before it was released) but I really don't get/like all this new DLC.  It's not that I care about the money, money isn't an issue for me.  It's the fact that I don't actually OWN it.  I was so disappointed when it was announced Ducktales Remastered was getting a retail release with a slip of paper in it.  I saved the $5.00 and bought it online, as I did Dungeons and Dragons Chronicles of Mystaria, but that is pretty much all I've invested in as a retail version isn't a reality (at least in North America).

I'm a PS3 gamer, so lets run with this scenario.  Years after the PS3 is dead (which won't be long with the upcoming PS4 which I have absolutely no intentions to buy) if my console dies, not only do I lose my digital titles but all the stuff that is ON THE DISC ALREADY is gone because maybe you can no longer download that 1KB unlock file.  As I said, I don't buy DLC, but a lot of DLC isn't really DLC.  It's included if you buy the game day one and they give you a code to unlock it, losing access to content already there because they no longer want to support a system is horrible.  This is one of the primary reasons I don't like where gaming is going these days, or maybe I'm just too old.

Edited by 진건0701
  • Upvote 4

I don't like 'on-disk' DLC either. But I'm pretty sure that all this digital stuff will be available for a long, long time.

Sure, if the apocalypse happens, we can't DL our games again (( Steam, for me. I also have a nice backlog of titles on my PSN and 360 accounts from when I had the system. Nintendo systems do not count as they do not have any kind of account system. )), but I don't mind the convenience.

• Upvote 1

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but even so, I don't really have a problem with DLC. DLC for the most part is just extra content for a fee. For fighting games this usually means a bonus character or stage, for shooters it's skins or guns, and so on. Most of the time it's optional stuff that you can buy to enhance your game and it's thankfully cheap most of the time the option is open to me if I want to buy it. But still, If I could help it I'd prefer there was no such thing as DLC. If a game has something, I'd like for it to be included in my game for the $60 I just spent on it. I guess that's why I have the same feelings towards micro-transactions ($0.99 for in-game currency is a shady business practice), except with DLC for the most part you aren't required to buy it to proceed, it's merely a way to enhance the experience.

Regardless, I still occasionally buy DLC if I think it's got enough value to it, which is why I shelled out $60 for the Legendary Edition of Skyrim (which includes all three DLC) instead of $20 for the regular version, as all three DLC bought together would have ended up costing me more than $60.

• Upvote 1

20+15+15+5, it'd be $55, not $60.

;D

• Upvote 1

Base Game: $19.99

Dawnguard: $19.99

Dragonborn: $19.99

Hearthfire: $4.99

$20 + $20 + $20 + $5 = $65...

• Upvote 1

I'd swear they were $15 a pop...

That's the pricing I got based off of the research I did. Even so, I got the price of the game wrong anyway. A copy of Skyrim is actually $30. So actually it costs $75. And even if your prices were correct it would still be $65. I think I confused it for a copy I saw at Wal-Mart that was marked at $20. Regardless, we both got our info wrong. :P

The great advantage of the Legendary Edition is that the DLC files are on a second disc and they don't need to be unlocked online. You can still install your DLCs years after the online support of your system is dead. That's why I never buy Bethesda games before the GOTY/UE/LE edition is released ;).

I hate the idea of content which could be not playable anymore someday, so I'm glad many games have a PC version as I wouldn't mind to pirate the extra content, after losing an official way to acquire it. Thankfully most scene groups don't seem to have much trouble unlocking the DLC contents.

I think Nintendo especially does a good job with their DLC the way they run their Nintendo network. The DLC  is stored onto your system or SD card, and Goddess forbid something happens to your system, with Ninendo Network, (which is needed to get it in the first place) you can re-download any purchased DLC or even full games for no additional charge. And the content the offer is pretty solid too. 8 Pikmin 3 levels at fifty cents each? Each level is more than 7 minutes long with high replayablity? Sign me up!

anything thats doanload only - is a big no-no for me, the very reason i havent brought pikmin 3 is because of the dlc , it sounds like they just made the game to small and they are hiding it with dlc. Also, everytime i buy and love a game like 'dark souls' and then they bring dlc out i always feel let down- like they dont care i payed for they're game. They just wont more money.  when i buy a game i wont to buy the full game (its the same deal with consoles these days you alway have something to downlaod), but even if the dlc/update is free it can destroy the game - for example x-com on 360 i havent put that game back in my console since i heard that the new update completely changes the game . I dont wont a game i brought and played alot to change, just give me a dam sequal with this updated combat, once a games out its to late to patch or atleast it should be.

As for games that are download only it takes alot for me to pay up, unless its an old game like 'a link to the past' which even though i could get it for snes its alot cheaper and easier to get it on the eshop (though i will get it for snes at some point). I tend to just hope that these download games come out on disc ,which can happen i have the bit-trip series on wii disc( which i found for cheaper then bying them seperatly online)

;) If it's a full game that you can't get anymore or have on an old now defunct system then I'm okay with it, case in point games on the Virtual Console or PSN/Xbox Live Arcades. If it's something that shortens a game, as previously mentioned, or nickel and dimes you then yeah it's not cool, not cool at all.

The whole "Digital Download" thing is something that is constantly evolving. For now, in that arena, Apple and Google via their mobile platforms are winning.

Your phone breaks? You gotta get a new one, but you can get all your stuff again!

• Upvote 1

DLCs are like the equivalent of cash shops on free-to-play games, but for consoles. Sure, you can play all you want with what you already have, but the temptation to pay to get more is there.

What happened to playing all night unlocking secrets? Who needs sleep, anyway?

Edited by FencingFoxFTW

What happened to playing all night unlocking secrets? Who needs sleep, anyway?

;) Oh man do I miss those days, the DKC games, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. I've pulled many an all nighter on those games during many summer breaks from school in my youth.