Is there a code for this?

DragonGaurdian

Hey guys, it's DragonGaurdian here. (Wow, it's been a while since I've been on last!) Anyways, I've got a question about AR codes for DQIX: Is there a code that, in battle, replaces one of your party character sprites with that of a monster (i.e. Dragonlord)?

Side Note: I'm asking because I thought it'd be fun to make a character named 'Tiamat' and use this code to actually make her a dragon. ...Alas, I don't know what kind of glitches it might cause, but hey, that's assuming a code for this even exists.

• Upvote 6

As far as I know, there is none. The only codes that effect player appearances change their size, that's it.

• Upvote 4

The problem with codes is you cannot force the game to do anything it isn't programmed to do.  So if the code allows for it, or you can suppress other code, then it's doable.  So basically there would have to be some monsters in your party, sprite data for a monster in the party, or something like a spell that allows a character to transform into a monster of some form, whereby a code could be found that simply locks off the function that turns it off after battle.

So the answer is no, there is no possible way to do this with the game as is.  The only exception would be to take the rom of it, crack it and build a hack for it that allows monsters in the party, and then create code that say, overrides the Hero sprite so he's a monster.  Of course this would have to be a monster sprite coded so it could actually wear interchangeable armour.

• Upvote 1

The problem with codes is you cannot force the game to do anything it isn't programmed to do.  So if the code allows for it, or you can suppress other code, then it's doable.  So basically there would have to be some monsters in your party, sprite data for a monster in the party, or something like a spell that allows a character to transform into a monster of some form, whereby a code could be found that simply locks off the function that turns it off after battle.

So the answer is no, there is no possible way to do this with the game as is.  The only exception would be to take the rom of it, crack it and build a hack for it that allows monsters in the party, and then create code that say, overrides the Hero sprite so he's a monster.  Of course this would have to be a monster sprite coded so it could actually wear interchangeable armour.

OK. Well, that's kind of a bummer.... And there's not even a cheat that would at least make a character able to use monster techniques (i.e. the elemental breath attacks)...

Edited by DragonGaurdian
  • Upvote 1

The problem with that is every skill is tied directly to a specific skill tree.  It could be that monster skills are a very different and individual list, with completely separate formatting, rather than having just a list of all spells and skills together in the same list or some form of array, like so many games will do, where you can just grab the list, and then use a code to swap out spells or skills.

Could be they are all together in individual lists, spell and skill, and simply no one has gone far enough in the code.

However if the code for spells and skills for player classes has any special formatting code, this would be a barrier, because it would likely cause major errors up to save corruption and freezing.

• Upvote 1