Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest - Maps and Screens

I recently finished a playthrough of Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest (the GBA one), and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed.  I thought that a Rocket Slime game without tank battles would be a bit lacking, but this game made up for it with fun levels and slightly higher difficulty overall.

The fact that I can't read Japanese wasn't a hindrance at all in terms of knowing what to do and where to go.  I would love to have known what was being said, but it seems like you can get the gist of it just from the scenarios and settings alone. 

My son has just finished up Rocket Slime and now he is tackling this one as well.  Loving it so far.

As with any game that I play, I like to rip stuff if it doesn't already exist.  To that end, I will be grabbing lots of goodies from this game and hopefully passing them along to Woodus to add to the site if he wants.  The laundry list is pretty big, but I wanted to start with the level maps first.  I am ripping the Nokke Woods map now, and will do the others afterward.  Here is the progress on that so far:

Nokke_Woods.png

I will probably restore the slime boxes to their closed state later and I also plan to add the item locations and possibly the monsters as well once it is all done.

Anyway, just for fun, here are some screenshots I grabbed while playing through:

SlimeMoriMori_0001.pngSlimeMoriMori_0002.pngSlimeMoriMori_0003.png

SlimeMoriMori_0004.pngSlimeMoriMori_0005.pngSlimeMoriMori_0006.png

SlimeMoriMori_0007.pngSlimeMoriMori_0008.pngSlimeMoriMori_0009.png

SlimeMoriMori_0010.pngSlimeMoriMori_0011.pngSlimeMoriMori_0012.png

SlimeMoriMori_0013.pngSlimeMoriMori_0014.pngSlimeMoriMori_0015.png

SlimeMoriMori_0016.pngSlimeMoriMori_0017.pngSlimeMoriMori_0018.png

SlimeMoriMori_0019.pngSlimeMoriMori_0020.pngSlimeMoriMori_0021.png

SlimeMoriMori_0022.pngSlimeMoriMori_0023.pngSlimeMoriMori_0024.png

SlimeMoriMori_0025.pngSlimeMoriMori_0026.pngSlimeMoriMori_0027.png

SlimeMoriMori_0028.pngSlimeMoriMori_0029.png

Edited by King Zenith
  • Upvote 1

Cool, that will be great :)

Played that ages ago & loved it. Was so glad I got to play it on my GBA with my old G6 flashcart. Heck, I remember vividly taking forever to beat the final boss! I finally did while sitting with a friend, waiting for AAA to come give us a jump-start. Ah, good times.

Good luck ripping. It's great that you're doing that. Hope others will feel that they can play as we did!

I've had the first two areas done for...hooboy...couple of years now! The game will trick you. You'll think you're piecing together one map, but they actually split some parts up, so making a seemless map required some 'choppin'.

Played that ages ago & loved it. Was so glad I got to play it on my GBA with my old G6 flashcart. Heck, I remember vividly taking forever to beat the final boss! I finally did while sitting with a friend, waiting for AAA to come give us a jump-start. Ah, good times.

Awesome! Yeah, I was a bit surprised by the difficulty level of Don Clawleone in this game. The first two forms were not too bad after a bit of practise, but his third form was just vicious. Definitely took quite a few tries on that one.

I've had the first two areas done for...hooboy...couple of years now! The game will trick you. You'll think you're piecing together one map, but they actually split some parts up, so making a seemless map required some 'choppin'.

I remember you telling me that a while ago. I went to the shrine looking for them but didn't see them. I assume that is among the new content we will see when the new shrine goes live? Thanks for the heads up about the 'choppin' requirement. So far, the Nokke Woods map is pretty straightforward. I assume it was Ul Otter River that had a lot of split up parts? I am not looking forward to doing Nikomisky Mine or Mt. Merazoma, what with all those dynamic layers...

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. I will keep this going and see what it turns into. I definitely would encourage everyone to play this game one way or another (emulation is a pretty good way to go). I played it through on my Android phone using the Gameboid emulator. Worked flawlessly and allowed me to play on those lengthy bus rides.

I had been waiting for the translation of this game to finish since the last update on the project (waaay back in 2008...), but I figure that project is probably dead and just couldn't wait any longer. I would love to be proven wrong, so if the good folks at Aeon Genesis are out there, please stop sitting on your completed translation and hack this one over the finish line!

Here are those last screenshots that I tried to post earlier, but were past the image link limit:

SlimeMoriMori_0030.pngSlimeMoriMori_0031.pngSlimeMoriMori_0032.png

SlimeMoriMori_0033.pngSlimeMoriMori_0034.pngSlimeMoriMori_0035.png

SlimeMoriMori_0036.pngSlimeMoriMori_0037.png

Ripped the monsters and items today.  I will submit that info to Woodus shortly.  For the monsters, I animated them since I now have a script that makes this less tedious.  Here they are:

01_Platypunk.gif02_Dracky.gif03_Bunnicorn.gif

04_Hammerhood.gif05_Octokid.gif06_Picksy.gif

07_Wyrtle.gif08_Jinkster.gif09_Walking_Corpse.gif

10_Dancing_Flame.gif11_Restless_Armour.gif12_Mummy.gif

13_Gigantes.gif14_Muddy_Hand.gif15_Red_Platypunk.gif

16_Chimaera.gif17_Blinkster.gif18_Living_Statue.gif

Sample Items:

10_Railway_Tile.png12_Fire_Gauntlet.png13_Ice_Blade.png

I'd like to have seen some of those monsters in Rocket Slime. I bet 13_Gigantes.gifwould have made a fun crew member.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I believe I have the first level finished.  I decided to try my hand at polishing the maps more and giving more though to layout and annotations etc.  Huge thanks to Dwaine for coaching me through this first one in detail.  Now that I have gone through it once with all the bells and whistles, I think the next levels should come a lot more quickly.

Anyway, here is the result (full resolution version can be viewed by right-clicking and choosing "View Image" or whatever the equivalent is in your browswer:

Nokke_Woods_Indexed.png

I agree that looks great

I actually liked this game better. It seemed to have more in it. The DS one had less things in the levels themselves to make room for the tanks. While somewhat fun, the tank battles were not the "best" part of the game for me.

I think each Slime game is like an alternate story (instead of being the continued story of a single slime). If that were not the case, I would like to see Drahalt Jr. return and be part of the story on the newer games.

• Upvote 1

I actually liked this game better. It seemed to have more in it. The DS one had less things in the levels themselves to make room for the tanks. While somewhat fun, the tank battles were not the "best" part of the game for me.

I think each Slime game is like an alternate story (instead of being the continued story of a single slime). If that were not the case, I would like to see Drahalt Jr. return and be part of the story on the newer games.

I definitely wish the levels in Rocket Slime had the same amount of "stuff" in the levels themselves, in addition to the tank battles.  I liked the tank battles, but I also like the stuff in between, which could have been beefed up a bit.  Still, both games were remarkably fun and I can't wait to try the third one, which I certainly will one day (even if I have to get one of those region-unlocking flash carts to play the ROM).

I have thought about whether the games tell alternate stories or continued stories as well.  There are indicators of both I think.  While the layout of Boingburg (or Surlun Town) is very different between games, the landscape of the town changes drastically within a single game itself (particularly in the first game), so it seems reasonable to assume that it could have changed.  Then again, the land of Slimenia looks pretty different between games so who knows?

I find it interesting how Slalin's parents change throughout the games. In the first game, his dad has a very "common-folk" appearance with that hat, and his mother seems to give a similar feeling.  In Rocket Slime, his dad is captain of the Royal Guard, protecting his Royal Wobbliness.  And finally, in the third game, it looks to me like his dad is now the King (unless I am misinterpreting screenshots and videos I have seen).

Perhaps that progression in social rank is a result of being the father of a hero of increasing repute as his son repeatedly rescues the local population of slimes.

I love the little love-story between Ducktor Cid and the Red Plattypunk in the first game too.  However there is no sign of this girl in Rocket Slime, and Ducktor Cid acts like he has never met Rocket before when they meet at TootinSchleiman's Tomb.  Score another point for the "alternate story" idea.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Drahalt Jr?

The dragon kid, the boss of one of the first levels. He returns later in the game (I think during the turtle dragon boss battle).

The parents and Cid are the main indicators I see for alternate stories. They just start over with what best works in each game.

perhaps they modified the characters' back stories for the english release, to make more sense with the first game missing in english? Just a thought. I haven't played much of the first game.

It's certainly possible.  I would love to see how things were expressed in Slime Morimori 2 and see how it measures up.

In other news, here is the current progress on the second map:

Ul_Otter_River.png

It would be quite a bit further, but I didn't have much time to work on it at lunch today.  Here's hoping tomorrow is more productive!

• 3 weeks later...

Phew, this map was a beast.  So much crap that needed to be fixed.  Dwaine wasn't kidding when he said the maps in this game need "choppin'".  Ripping the raw map for this was easy, but fixing it later so that adjacent screens blend seamlessly like they ought to was a whole production.

Anyway, I am now happy to report that the Ul Otter River map is complete and I am moving on to Nikomisky Mine next.

Here is the final map for any who might be interested:

Ul_Otter_River_Final.png

Edited by King Zenith

One time I was looking for Slime Morimori footage on YouTube to confirm some names. Found a video of the dragon kid boss. Went to the dude's main channel to see if there were any more and it was a creeper with an inflation fetish.

One time I was looking for Slime Morimori footage on YouTube to confirm some names. Found a video of the dragon kid boss. Went to the dude's main channel to see if there were any more and it was a creeper with an inflation fetish.

lol XD, I couldn't imagine what's an inflation fetish... A fetish for a decrease in the "purchasing power" of a currency? So I googled..., uhm, youtubed that guy... Well I didn't expect THAT, but it pretty much explains why he likes the dragon kid boss XD.
  • Upvote 1