Ryu's Rants - Where's the GOOD sequels?

Breath of Fire, Grandia, Jade Cocoon, Dark Cloud, Okami, and I can list dozens more of RPGs that should have sequels (( or more sequels. ))

Among other titles, let's not forget Mega Man (Legends), Castlevania (SOTN/DoS), among others.

In today's gaming world, the big publishers that hold all the good titles basically have put them in a vault. Because their games either "haven't sold well recently" or "didn't get a big enough Metacritic score", they don't merit a sequel, or even redistribution.

Let's take one game in particular. Anyone ever play Tomba? Damned good PSX platformer. It sold well, got good reviews, and is currently on PSN.

Tomba had a sequel. A good one, with 3D and such. It doesn't exist as far as Sony is concerned (in the US, no redistribution on PSN as of writing.). 

Where is it?

And hell, what about SaGa? Because some jackass at Squaresoft/Enix decided to re-release Romancing SaGa (( a game we never had the original of )) and Unlimited SaGa (( Bleh, just BLEH. I like obscure RPGs but that game is AWFUL. )) on the PS2 to lackluster sales (( I blame Kingdom Hearts for a lot of the PS2 RPG letdowns. Folk just compared other games to it, which ruined things for good games like... well, good games. I liked Evergrace and Forever Kingdom FFS, nobody liked those. )), we didn't get the super-awesome SaGa remakes that popped up on the DS (( Cain helped us with 3, and I believe he was involved in 2. Either way yay for Cain. )).

The same thing happened to other RPGs. Sure, localization costs can be expensive for say, a PS3 game with voice-acting and such, but for a lower-tier game like 3DS, etc, when localization costs can be kept to a minimum (( Yay for XSEED )), we should be seeing a lot more games from Japan in general.

This goes for more then just RPGs, obviously, I just love RPGs. (( I beat Super Hydlide today. :) )) 

Let's just say that if Halo 5 was a JP-only release, or Call of Duty: Whatever is after Ghosts, or Gears of War 7, or hell, for Spikan, even Resident Evil 7, were JP-only?

There'd be a helluva lot more pissed teenagers. Why can't you dagnabbed kids get that way about Dragon Quest?! (( Not the folk here, general rant. :P ))

Hawkeye's Rants - Where ARE the Good Sequels?

• Upvote 1

Fangames... meeeh. A lot of 'em don't count in my eyes.

Yours do, because they have a professional feel, you're more of an indie developer. :P

I've watched a lot of footage of the Japanese versions and two looks like it plays pretty much the same as it always did, just with a visual upgrade.  Three looks like it got some changes, but they look like they were for the better

I always said that I'd like more game on the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre serie...

Didn't they said they wanted to make a sequel for Bravely Default ? It's not here for now, sure.

Also, ad the usual HSK's rant about the fact Europe never get anything (Well, that's starting to change slightly, Bravely Default could come earlier, and I think Layton too..)

That's one of my piracy things, if EU doesn't herb t, steal it. But then I imported breath of fire 3 and tales of eternia PSP, so...

• 3 weeks later...

Buddy of mine really liked that game.