Jump to content

what are you playing?


mma0701
 Share

Recommended Posts

Most Limited Run Games releases are “worth” the cost if you decide you don’t want it and haven’t opened it and sell it on eBay. In that sense, they retain their value, or even rise in value. But usually their prices are higher than only a fan might want to spend for a physical copy. So you have to ask yourself if you care enough about the particular game (or in this case, games) to spend more than it’s inherent value to own it. Because otherwise I’m sure the digital version is just as good.
But what happens when you open and then decide you don't want it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

But what happens when you open and then decide you don't want it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

Depending on the game you could still make a decent profit on it or break even. I’m sure a Castlevania collection could easily retain its value opened.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Finished off Later Alligator. Pretty good and funny indie game overall, but there was some dialogue that didn’t quite hit the mark for me, not to mention how some characters were handled. That’s subjective though, and even those times the dialogue or characters didn’t do anything for me I wouldn’t say it was outright bad. Many of the characters had some pretty funny lines and interactions with you and with each other, and the variety of designs kept everyone feeling unique considering every character is an alligator!

I thought this was a one and done game in terms of seeing all the content, but there’s essentially a NG+ that drops you off at the beginning but let’s you skip having to redo any character events you’ve already done. Beating the game with 100% actually let’s you skip the entire game and re-watch the ending if you want too.

I really like the artstyle and point and click nature of the game. The way the game animates its characters and has the world in black and white reminds me of the show Dr. Katz from Comedy Central. There’s some good relaxing music, and the ending for helping all the characters actually caught me off guard. The game did a good job subverting expectations, that’s for sure. Also, really liked the goofy unlockables you could find by collecting all the puzzle pieces and by helping in the cellphone mini game. Those were hilarious.

Overall I’m glad I finished the game. While not everything clicked with me, the game was fun and was visually fantastic. When the writing hit the mark, it did its job and made me laugh out loud. Now I can move on to another indie game when the mood strikes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been spending way too much time on Halo MCC then I admit. Ever since I bought the game, I keep going back to it. It is a nice time killer when I get frustrated with Nocturne.

The new Guilty Gear is out. But I have no idea when I will pick it up. All the dumb things about the game just stacked up over the past year to move it from a day one purchase to whenever I can get it on sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Twinkie said:

The new Guilty Gear is out. But I have no idea when I will pick it up. All the dumb things about the game just stacked up over the past year to move it from a day one purchase to whenever I can get it on sale.

I recently saw some Strive ranked gameplay on YouTube from Dotodoya (who I watch for his Dragon Ball FighterZ videos) and I was not impressed with Guilty Gear Strive at all. I had not seen much gameplay but I fell down a rabbit hole of information and...boy, this was not what I was expecting from a Guilty Gear game. It reminds me too much of Street Fighter with the slower gameplay, and I don’t like that.

Also, personal gripe, I don’t like Faust’s redesign. I like the silliness of Faust, but the new look he has with the creepy factor and overly shadowed design while still having silly attacks like the Afro throw...WTF is happening here?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I recently saw some Strive ranked gameplay on YouTube from Dotodoya (who I watch for his Dragon Ball FighterZ videos) and I was not impressed with Guilty Gear Strive at all. I had not seen much gameplay but I fell down a rabbit hole of information and...boy, this was not what I was expecting from a Guilty Gear game. It reminds me too much of Street Fighter with the slower gameplay, and I don’t like that.

Also, personal gripe, I don’t like Faust’s redesign. I like the silliness of Faust, but the new look he has with the creepy factor and overly shadowed design while still having silly attacks like the Afro throw...WTF is happening here?

It is a damn shame too. Outside Faust's redesign, I really like how the characters look. The animations and soundtrack is REALLY good. Just that everything else is just... ehhh. 

Probably not the biggest disappointment, but I am hoping they end up patching up the game down the road. Xrd got a lot of love. Hopefully Strive will as well to make it a decent competitive game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have been playing a Metric ton of Deep Rock Galactic. I can't get enough of this game. I had never even heard of it until someone gifted me a copy of it a month ago today. I expected to play it with my friend until he or I got tired of it, but I've been playing almost daily for the last month. Some of it's features are why I love it:

  • Space Dwarves
  • Customizable facial hair
  • 1-4 Player co-op PVE
  • NO PVP
  • Procedural generated caverns
  • 100% destructible environments

There is plenty to do to keep me engaged. Four classes to choose from. Different Hazard ratings (Difficulty) will affect your after mission stats so you earn more if you play on more difficult settings. Last week, I unlocked a mission assignment for 'Lethal' difficulty, the hardest difficulty. I can't wait to unlock that to play with my friends.

On top of that, you upgrade gear for each class, so the materials you get from the missions are used to improve your gear in an organic way. You unlock paint jobs and other visual changes for weapons from upgrading your weapon. There are even things that will spawn in the level that will unlock stuff like new colors for your gear and victory poses for your Dwarf when you finish a mission. Heck, you even get to upgrade how your Pickaxe looks from finding parts in the missions.

Once each class hits level 25, you get to promote them and you get to access even more content because of this. I just hit 25 with my Driller so I have to do my Promotion mission set, then I unlock new features to use, one of which I am really looking forward to. "Deep Dives".

I know these are going to be good because there is an achievement that says "Finish a Deep Dive in 45 minutes". Regular missions take me 30-40 minutes already to do, so I am super looking forward to what Deep Dives are all about. I have looked up absolutely nothing about this game, and it has been the best decision I've made.

I cannot get enough of this game. I'm already thinking about playing when I get home, and that's in 6 hours from now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the announcement of Metroid Dread, and seeing some other friends talking about it, I decided to play through Metroid 1 again.

...Except I didn't want to do the NES version. I also don't own the GBA version Zero Mission on cart. I tried to emulate, but the game had really wonky frame rate....

Then I remembered, they released the game on the Wii U, so I hooked my Wii U back up and spent $8 on a copy there.

I have worked my way through Zebes, and gotten through the Tourian area and am onto the next area after that. It's been over a decade since I played this game last. It's such a QoL improvement on the NES game that I don't think I could ever go back to it.

I'm nearing the end of it now and may roll over (pun intended) to a replay of the Metroid 2 remake on the 3DS. It's too bad that There's no way to play that one on a TV like I can with all the other games at this point. I definitely prefer it over playing on a hand held.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bururian said:

I'm nearing the end of it now and may roll over (pun intended) to a replay of the Metroid 2 remake on the 3DS. It's too bad that There's no way to play that one on a TV like I can with all the other games at this point. I definitely prefer it over playing on a hand held.

Perhaps look into AM2R. It's a fan-made remake of Metroid 2 in the style of Zero Mission. For the most part, it's actually very well made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Perhaps look into AM2R. It's a fan-made remake of Metroid 2 in the style of Zero Mission. For the most part, it's actually very well made.

That is not a bad idea at all...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have completed Metroid Zero Mission now. at just over the 4 hour mark, I got one of the worse endings. Which is fine. I've never been great at getting the speedy endings for these games.

I think however, I'm going to do one Mainline Metroid a game per month and replay it maybe if I feel like it. Since it's 4 months until release, I get to do :

June - Metroid Zero Mission
July - Metroid 2 (Likely AM2R)
August -  Super Metroid

September - Metroid Fusion

That will lead me perfectly into Metroid Dread without bombarding myself with 4 Metroid games at once.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bururian said:

I have completed Metroid Zero Mission now. at just over the 4 hour mark, I got one of the worse endings. Which is fine. I've never been great at getting the speedy endings for these games.

I think however, I'm going to do one Mainline Metroid a game per month and replay it maybe if I feel like it. Since it's 4 months until release, I get to do :

June - Metroid Zero Mission
July - Metroid 2 (Likely AM2R)
August -  Super Metroid

September - Metroid Fusion

That will lead me perfectly into Metroid Dread without bombarding myself with 4 Metroid games at once.

You’re making me want to replay Super Metroid. Stop it. Stop it right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You’re making me want to replay Super Metroid. Stop it. Stop it right now.

I mean, it'll only take a few hours to get through if you're fast enough. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was feeling pretty nostalgic last night, so I started a new file on Final Fantasy Explorers. I was really excited when it came out that I ordered the Collector's Edition off the Square Enix store when it was advertised.

When I did get it, I had three other friends where we'd get lunch once a week and play for an hour or two. I really do miss doing that. It was a lot of fun.

The only not fun thing is the CE came with a code for DLC missions that were tied to the save file so they can't be used again for a 2nd save file, and if my OG save file gets deleted...goodbye DLC missions. I have a cheat device for my 3DS, so I edited in the DLC missions on my 2nd save file since all those missions are actually on the card. The code card included with the game just flags the missions as active. That's really heinous.

Anyways, I'm several missions into a new game as a Knight, and been enjoying it, so we'll see where it takes me this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bururian said:

I mean, it'll only take a few hours to get through if you're fast enough. :P

Haha, true. First time I fully played the game it took me about 5 or 6 hours if I remember right. Got 90% of the secrets, so not bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead of playing Zero Mission again since I beat it in only 4 hours, I decided to start Metroid Prime instead. I haven't played that game in nearly a decade, probably. I forgot just how good that game looked. Sometimes you remember games and think they looked amazing, then you see them again and they did not. Metroid Prime is the outlier here. It still looks amazing despite being a 19 year old game. I made sure to play this on a little CRT and it looks phenomenal! I put about 2 hours into the game, and I already have 20% of items/scans while heading into Phendrana Drifts. These games really grip me. Those two hours felt like 5 minutes until I stopped to check my phone.

Really looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finished Metroid Prime1 at 100% completion, so I'm taking a break from Metroid at the moment, doing two games back to back like that. I'll likely continue on with Prime 2 after I go through another game or two from another franchise. I'm going through MMBN1, which I posted about in the RPG general thread.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have been playing a lot of beat em' ups and other quick session games. I ended up picking up Streets of Rage 4 and had a ton of fun with it. Considering that the same dev team is working on the new TMNT beat 'em up, I have a lot of hope. SOR4 is REALLY good.

Since I have gotten my new PC, I have been playing game I have been holding off for a while. I started playing Doom 2016 and love it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started playing Hitman 2 last week. Got an interest after seeing some gameplay (and from having heard about the series for a few years) and it’s been pretty fun so far. I’m definitely not used to stealth games like this, but I’m having a good time. It’s great you can play missions in so many different ways, there’s a lot of secrets and areas you can discover, and even though the game presents story stuff seriously you get a lot of silly moments too.

Definitely a game I can appreciate with the freedom to discover levels and go at your own pace.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 12:37 PM, Bururian said:

I finished Metroid Prime1 at 100% completion, so I'm taking a break from Metroid at the moment, doing two games back to back like that. I'll likely continue on with Prime 2 after I go through another game or two from another franchise. I'm going through MMBN1, which I posted about in the RPG general thread.

 

I never finished Prime 2. After the masterwork that was Prime 1, it honestly just didn't hit the same. I felt like it floundered a lot and was sadly just boring. Maybe it got better after where I stopped. 🤷‍♂️ I heard Prime 3 was much better. I own it, but have yet to play it after all these years. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was the same way. Got to the final boss and quit. Not because it was going to be a hard battle, just a tedious one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been playing No More Heroes. Trying to get it completed and work on the sequel before the new game comes out next month.

It isn't a bad port, and it is nice to see the game run in 60FPS. But I caused a glitch that prevents me from 100% the game. Wasted like 7 hours if I was still going for it. Oh well. Not going to bother with new game+. Going straight to 2 when I get it done at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...