what are you playing?

I picked up and played Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town. I am not even done with the first season and I think I am already done with the game unless they patch it soon. I have a list of complaints.

• You use devices to craft one item at a time like Stardew. But they take up 2x2 squares and you need TONS of them. So your farm is going to look bad with these machines all over.
  • Character dialogue is a joke. Not a deal breaker with me. But all the villagers in the game have a personality of a cardboard box.
  • Events were bad. I only did the Easter Egg Hunt. But that event was only a cutscene and no actual gameplay like previous titles. A lot of fan favorite events are apparently not in the game either.
  • The framerate is an insult. The game drops massive frames all over. Factor in the 100 machines and animals on your farm and your game is going to be lagging like crazy after a couple in game weeks.
  • Game Balance is terrible. I can afford and get anything I want after two in game weeks. Feels like there is no good steady progression.,
  • Loading screens galore
  • The good marriage candidates I want are locked behind DLC.

The game has some good points. But it is all drowned out by the terrible things about this game. Especially the performance. This game MIGHT be worthwhile if you pick it up for PC. But I would avoid the Switch version. The developers mentioned that they plan on patching the game to improve on all those issues. But I really don't know if they will hold their word on it. I am sick and tired of this trend of fixing games after release.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm currently dying from too many games but that's because I'm 100% against buying used games, so I always buy day one   PS3: Dragon's Crown, Ducktales Remastered, Hatsune Miku Project DIVA F, Kille

Started playing Guacamelee 2 this morning. The soundtrack and visual for this game are so what I love. I love good vibrant colors in games. The humor is super well done too. Most lines get a chuc

I DID IT!!! The Champions Ballad DLC has been completed! Man, that final trial was pretty sweet and I really enjoyed all the puzzle solving you had to do. The battle that followed the dungeon was exce

Posted Images

I'm still on Guacamelee 2. It's been a fantastic game so far.

I do think that the two Guacamelee games are some of my favorite modern games. There isn't anything about them that I hate, and I can't really say that about the majority of the games I play these days. Atmosphere, music, character design, gameplay mechanics... It's all great stuff. I might have to play through the first game again after this one since I haven't played through it since...2015 or so.

• Like 1

Yeah, so I am putting POOT away for now. The thing that was keeping me invested into the game was the mining. Since it is a massive improvement and really well done. It also doesn't lag in there. Since my last post, I suppose I can mention some positives.

• The music is surprisingly good
  • Best mining system. No stupid and shallow combat. Just dodging moles that drain stamina.
  • The game boots up and has a functioning title screen

Really all I can say about it. The frame rate is just getting worse as I progress. The progression pacing isn't as bad as I thought originally.

Gonna start up Grandia 2 tonight.

• Like 1

Been jumping between non-RPGs, but have been playing more of Bastion again. I’m trying to finally beat this darn game so I can play the other two Super Giant games, Transistor and Hades. Bastion has been good but boy, you need to learn to reflect enemy attacks perfectly to avoid damage. The dodge roll has no invincible frames on it, so it’s kind of useless in combat in my opinion.

• Like 1

Finished Bastion, and it was good. I feel like the gameplay was finally clicking towards the end of the game, and my opinion on the full experience has improved. Personally I didn’t care for the narrow paths the game throws at you a lot, and sometimes it felt like you had to deal with too many enemies at once, even though I was playing on Normal.

Still, the game was fun overall, and as I said, my opinions did improve over time, especially in regards to the narrative and world design. This is one of those games where I would recommend playing it for the story more than anything, and if you can get it for $3 like I did, go for it. It’s got some wonderful music too, and I’m thinking of picking up the soundtrack if I can.

On a new, very stupid quest to play every Nintendo published 3DS game. As a way to not consider this wasted time,I'll probably do a little fanart for each and compile my thoughts about all of them in a 10 hour video. The list is 5 pages long and has a bunch of RPGs so I don't expect to be done with it for a few years.

Right now I'm play New Super Mario Bros 2,which I could give all my thoughts about after playing it for 10 minutes but eh I'll probably complete it

• Like 1
On a new, very stupid quest to play every Nintendo published 3DS game. As a way to not consider this wasted time,I'll probably do a little fanart for each and compile my thoughts about all of them in a 10 hour video. The list is 5 pages long and has a bunch of RPGs so I don't expect to be done with it for a few years.
Right now I'm play New Super Mario Bros 2,which I could give all my thoughts about after playing it for 10 minutes but eh I'll probably complete it
I just got that game the other day. That bad?

Whew, what an ambitious goal. I don't very often visit the Tube of You, but maybe my goal in a few years should be to watch all 10 hours of your upcoming review!
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I just got that game the other day. That bad?

Whew, what an ambitious goal. I don't very often visit the Tube of You, but maybe my goal in a few years should be to watch all 10 hours of your upcoming review!

Well,I wouldn't say it's bad,just not very innovative. If you played any of the New Super Mario games,you have basically played all of them. I'd still say they are quality games,just a bit bland and repetitive. It's kind of like eating a decent pizza without any toppings; yeah it's pretty good, very filling and tasty,but only because it's pizza (which is naturally good). You'd probably want some toppings on it but there's really nothing there.

With that said, I haven't played any New Super Marios since the Wii U released,so I'm enjoying it more than I expected.

• Like 1

I ended up playing a lot of multiplayer games in the last couple weeks. After wanting to play it for a while, I ended up getting the Halo Master Chief Collection and have been spamming matches a lot. I have a ton of nostalgia for some of these games since I played an obsessive amount of Halo 1-3 back during my high school days. I feel like I am reliving my "Halo dude bro" years again.

I am really thankful they released it on PC. Just a shame that Rare Replay is still Xbox exclusive. Literally the only Xbox One game that I would even bother with right now.

Been slowly chipping at the 3DS game list. My thoughs on a few so far:

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer:

Spoiler

I don’t know if you can “finish” this game, but I played until I got bored (which surprisingly took a good while). You just decorate the villager’s houses with a given theme and.. that’s it. There are also some bigger facilities you get to decorate, but it’s the exact same thing. There’s no real “lose” conditions, which I guess works for a game like this, but it means there are 0 stakes. Honestly the only notable thing this game does is the (then new) decorating system, which was partially added to New Leaf in an update. It also makes me wish I could decorate villager houses in New Horizons ☹

If you like Animal Crossing, you’ll probably get some enjoyment out of this one before thinking “wait why am I doing this” and moving on. If you don’t, you’ll probably just be confused as to why people even play Animal Crossing.

3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure

Spoiler

Not as easy as I remember it being, but a fun platformer regardless. Kind of impressive this game is on NES, but even judging it by modern retro game standards, it looks really good. The port quality is great, though it doesn’t add anything notable. The 3D effect is really good as well, so it’s actually worth using (at least of a few minutes). Is it worth buying if you have access to any other version of the game available? ehh not really unless you're into the 3D effect, but if you don't it's worth the price.

New Super Mario Bros 2

Spoiler

It’s pratically just the same as any of the new super mario bros games,with a coin theme this time. The coin theme is nothing really special,it just means you’ll never ever get a game over. Most levels are kind of piss easy,though it starts getting harder (coincidentally, more fun) towards the end,but then it’s over so most of the game you’re just breezing through them. As for theming, we have the basic grass,desert,ice,water,sky and fire worlds, but there are also 2 worlds with seemingly random assortments of levels. It’s still a fun game though,at least in theory. Just very basic and cookie-cutter.

There’s also an extra mode in Coin-Rush, where you have to speed through levels and collect as many coins as you can in a strict time limit. It’s alright, and probably the most fun part of this game but there’s no real incentive to play it in the main game so.. 

Yo-kai Watch 

Spoiler

I was deep into the Pokémon community and surrounded by VGC judge friends when this first came out and we collectively scoffed at it, but I wish I had played this game back then because I would have loved it. It’s not that much like Pokémon. Yeah, you collect monsters of varying power levels, which may or may not evolve, there is a very mediocre story and underdeveloped characters, but the combat is totally different, actually pretty fun and in terms of graphics and personality it sure as hell beats what Pokémon was offering in the 3DS generation.

Although the Pokémon comparison is inevitable, the game is still great sans comparisons to other similar games. It’s not too long,but you could squeeze a lot of time out of it by collecting all the Yo-kai and there’s some postgame content (which I didn’t complete but I’m sure is good :P)

Definitely worth it, though if you understand Japanese there is a Switch remake of this game which did not get localized and I’ll assume is a straight upgrade.

Currently playing Shovel Knight (Nintendo published it in Japan,for some reason) and still putting time into DQ8.

Been slowly chipping at the 3DS game list. My thoughs on a few so far:
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer:
Spoiler

I don’t know if you can “finish” this game, but I played until I got bored (which surprisingly took a good while). You just decorate the villager’s houses with a given theme and.. that’s it. There are also some bigger facilities you get to decorate, but it’s the exact same thing. There’s no real “lose” conditions, which I guess works for a game like this, but it means there are 0 stakes. Honestly the only notable thing this game does is the (then new) decorating system, which was partially added to New Leaf in an update. It also makes me wish I could decorate villager houses in New Horizons
If you like Animal Crossing, you’ll probably get some enjoyment out of this one before thinking “wait why am I doing this” and moving on. If you don’t, you’ll probably just be confused as to why people even play Animal Crossing.

3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
Spoiler

Not as easy as I remember it being, but a fun platformer regardless. Kind of impressive this game is on NES, but even judging it by modern retro game standards, it looks really good. The port quality is great, though it doesn’t add anything notable. The 3D effect is really good as well, so it’s actually worth using (at least of a few minutes). Is it worth buying if you have access to any other version of the game available? ehh not really unless you're into the 3D effect, but if you don't it's worth the price.

New Super Mario Bros 2
Spoiler

It’s pratically just the same as any of the new super mario bros games,with a coin theme this time. The coin theme is nothing really special,it just means you’ll never ever get a game over. Most levels are kind of piss easy,though it starts getting harder (coincidentally, more fun) towards the end,but then it’s over so most of the game you’re just breezing through them. As for theming, we have the basic grass,desert,ice,water,sky and fire worlds, but there are also 2 worlds with seemingly random assortments of levels. It’s still a fun game though,at least in theory. Just very basic and cookie-cutter.
There’s also an extra mode in Coin-Rush, where you have to speed through levels and collect as many coins as you can in a strict time limit. It’s alright, and probably the most fun part of this game but there’s no real incentive to play it in the main game so.. 

Yo-kai Watch 
Spoiler

I was deep into the Pokémon community and surrounded by VGC judge friends when this first came out and we collectively scoffed at it, but I wish I had played this game back then because I would have loved it. It’s not that much like Pokémon. Yeah, you collect monsters of varying power levels, which may or may not evolve, there is a very mediocre story and underdeveloped characters, but the combat is totally different, actually pretty fun and in terms of graphics and personality it sure as hell beats what Pokémon was offering in the 3DS generation.
Although the Pokémon comparison is inevitable, the game is still great sans comparisons to other similar games. It’s not too long,but you could squeeze a lot of time out of it by collecting all the Yo-kai and there’s some postgame content (which I didn’t complete but I’m sure is good :P)
 Definitely worth it, though if you understand Japanese there is a Switch remake of this game which did not get localized and I’ll assume is a straight upgrade.

Currently playing Shovel Knight (Nintendo published it in Japan,for some reason) and still putting time into DQ8.

New Super Mario Bros 2 I played for a little while last night, but couldn't save so put it down. Looked up how to do it today. Odd to unlock it that way, but D'oh.

Yo-Kai I've been a huge advocate of. I just got hold of Blasters finally and can't wait to play it. Yo-Kai Watch 3 was absolutely amazing and basically had an entire 2nd game (Blasters) built in as a side mission. Yeah, dozens of hours of side missions! I really do love the whole battle system and Level-5 goodness Yo-Kai does.

I talked about Yo-Kai Watch in an episode of the Den's podcast: https://anchor.fm/dqslimetime/episodes/Sidequest-004---Not-Pokmon-ejfifr

And more extensively on a show I used to guest on and now co-host: https://rpgamer.com/2019/04/rpg-backtrack-episode-203-yo-kai-watch-this/
  • Like 1

I picked Streets of Rage 4 back up over the weekend. Almost finished beating it as Cherry.

So much better than I ever hoped the game would be. Easily my game of 2020.

More like a "what are you NOT playing" but today I finally got confirmation that my Monster Hunter Rise copy isn't coming :(. I ordered it one day before release and have been waiting since. The shop sent me a replacement halfway through (also never arrived). After threatning them with a bad review and legal action,they just said "hey your address is wrong here's your money back" (my address was correct,so that was bs but I'm glad I at least got the cash back) 

Now I'm seeing the game on ebay for like 10 bucks less than what I payed, so I honestly might buy it anyway :P

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I rolled credits in Theatrhythm Dragon Quest this weekend. Will continue to pick away at it more as I'm loving the Pachisi T'n'T boards a great deal. I went from level 50 to 95 on one board the other day. That was almost 1/4 of all EXP I'd earned in the game to date! 989fdf2870dc0680e585be546314488e.jpg

Started up the Castlevania Anniversary Collection again and finished off Castlevania The Adventure. This game is definitely a “skip it” one if you get the collection, but because I hate myself I tried to beat it for the sake of “completing,” the collection.

Definitely abused save states because boy, this game is super unfair even for a Gameboy game/Castlevania game. You lose your whip power ups after taking a hit from an enemy, the game forces you back a long way of you lose a life, if you lose all of your lives you have to start the entire game over again...that last one is especially WTF because not even the NES Castlevania games do that!

Oy....well, despite all that, I will give the game credit for the music and visually looking alright. I don’t recommend this game, but at least give the music a listen on YouTube if you enjoy the Gameboy soundfont or are a Castlevania fan. 

I hope the follow up Gameboy game is a major improvement.

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 11:49 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Started up the Castlevania Anniversary Collection again and finished off Castlevania The Adventure. This game is definitely a “skip it” one if you get the collection, but because I hate myself I tried to beat it for the sake of “completing,” the collection.

Definitely abused save states because boy, this game is super unfair even for a Gameboy game/Castlevania game. You lose your whip power ups after taking a hit from an enemy, the game forces you back a long way of you lose a life, if you lose all of your lives you have to start the entire game over again...that last one is especially WTF because not even the NES Castlevania games do that!

Oy....well, despite all that, I will give the game credit for the music and visually looking alright. I don’t recommend this game, but at least give the music a listen on YouTube if you enjoy the Gameboy soundfont or are a Castlevania fan. 

I hope the follow up Gameboy game is a major improvement.

Belmont's Revenge is a bit better than The Adventure, but none of the three GB Castlevania games are much worth playing. Music is definitely the high point of all three entries. Castlevania: The Adventure's WiiWare remake, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth, was pretty nifty though. Was hoping for more Castlevania remakes, but it was not meant to be. :( As far as the starting over bit goes, yeah, it's unforgiving... but, the game's pretty short.

Edited by GrandAlchemist

Finished Gameboy Castlevania 2, and it was much better than the first Gameboy game. Much better level and enemy layouts, the difficulty didn’t feel as bullshit save for the last two bosses, and it was nice to see the game didn’t freak out and slow down when more than 2 character sprites were on screen at once.

Definitely preferred this one over the first game, and I can see myself replaying Belmont’s Revenge in the future when I’m in a Castlevania mood.

That’s 4 of the games beaten on the Castlevania Collection now. Still need to beat Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania Bloodlines, and Kid Dracula. Thinking I’ll tackle IV or Bloodlines next.

• Like 1

I was thinking of picking up the physical version of the CastleVania Collection, do you think it is worth the physical prices?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Woodus said:

I was thinking of picking up the physical version of the CastleVania Collection, do you think it is worth the physical prices?

I bought it digitally for $5 on a sale. Don’t know what the cost is for physical that’s coming out, but I’d say if you know you like Castlevania you’d enjoy the collection. It’s the 3 original NES games, the two Gameboy games I mentioned, IV, Bloodlines and NES Kid Dracula (which never got a western release). You can also play the Japanese versions of most of the games, which actually makes Castlevania 3 a lot easier, and you have an in game art book/interviews.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Interesting, the physical release is by Limited Run Games and runs from $34.99 to $174.99, each level with different options. I like the Castlevania games even though 2 and 3 are the only ones I have beaten, I was leaning towards the $59 one that looks like a NES style box.

cv box.png

9 hours ago, Woodus said:

Most Limited Run Games releases are “worth” the cost if you decide you don’t want it and haven’t opened it and sell it on eBay. In that sense, they retain their value, or even rise in value. But usually their prices are higher than only a fan might want to spend for a physical copy. So you have to ask yourself if you care enough about the particular game (or in this case, games) to spend more than it’s inherent value to own it. Because otherwise I’m sure the digital version is just as good.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, eal said:

Most Limited Run Games releases are “worth” the cost if you decide you don’t want it and haven’t opened it and sell it on eBay. In that sense, they retain their value, or even rise in value. But usually their prices are higher than only a fan might want to spend for a physical copy. So you have to ask yourself if you care enough about the particular game (or in this case, games) to spend more than it’s inherent value to own it. Because otherwise I’m sure the digital version is just as good.

It is. If all else you can wait for a sale and get it for $5. It and the Contra Collection were both $5 a few months ago, and my guess is that digital sale will come around again.

Totally worth getting both for $10 total if you can.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I guess for me it is more that I don't trust digital services and at some point they will pull them and lose access (I can always turn back to emulating the originals I guess).