mma0701

what are you playing?

25 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

The final major update for Mario Maker 2 got announced. Looks like I know what I will be doing all week!

Also Trials of Mana is out shortly. At least I will be busy for a while longer.

I just saw the news on that update. It looks pretty sick. Being able to design your own overworld is awesome and is something of a dream come true. I used to draw and make up my own overworlds based on Mario 3 and Mario World. I don’t have Mario Maker 2, but I’m definitely tempted to get it now! Haha

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I just saw the news on that update. It looks pretty sick. Being able to design your own overworld is awesome and is something of a dream come true. I used to draw and make up my own overworlds based on Mario 3 and Mario World. I don’t have Mario Maker 2, but I’m definitely tempted to get it now! Haha

I used to do the same as well lol

There are a couple notebooks I have in storage somewhere where I would create fan made Mario and Zelda maps. I recently found a notebook that had some classmates of mine would use together to play "Advance Wars" during lunch break as well.

5 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I used to do the same as well lol

There are a couple notebooks I have in storage somewhere where I would create fan made Mario and Zelda maps. I recently found a notebook that had some classmates of mine would use together to play "Advance Wars" during lunch break as well.

I used to make up Mario Party boards too, both on paper and with pieces from some kids domino game I had.

Finished off Urbosa’s portion of the Champions Ballad. I had a heck of a time figuring out where to go for the third part from the map screens provided, but I found out in Gerudo Town that the Yiga Clan had stolen an orb from the Chief. I was really hoping Master Kohga was going to somehow reappear and we’d have a rematch for the orb, but sadly that was not to be.

Only one more to go now. Off to Rito Village and see what awaits once I complete Revali’s portion of the DLC.

I ended up starting StarTropics for the first time earlier today on NSO. Almost completed chapter 3. Not a bad game so far. I knew about this game for many years and just never got around to it.

Another game I have been playing a lot is classic Doom. I completed Episode 4 for the first time and hated the first map with a passion. Gonna look into some WADs later. But I will probably end up playing SIGIL first.

So, I finished off the Revali portion of the Champions Ballad, and I’m disappointed on the “development,” for Revali via his diary and memory cutscene. I was expecting some kind of explanation why he’s such a dick, but nope. It was just more text and dialogue showing off how much of a dick he is. It would have been nice if SOMETHING explained why he acts the way he does. Maybe he feels inadequate and is trying to make up for his childhood or past failures, maybe he was kinder before but everyone praising him led to his change in attitude, ANYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE. 

#$*!ing hate that character and I hate how the most useful Champion skill is tied to him. Honestly one of the worst Zelda characters in my opinion with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Anyway...I can now go back to the Shrine of Resurrection to face the Final Trial. With all the unique new shrines you have to tackle, I’ll be curious to see if this last challenge will have a mixture of obstacles or...well, I don’t know what to expect. The end of the DLC is in sight!

I might have mentioned this at one point but I bought the 3DS version of Corpse Party about a month ago. It has a bunch of new content and is just an altogether better package. However, it is impossible to completely wipe all save data from a cart once it’s been played. I looked it up, it’s quite literally impossible. You can start a new game, but all endings, name tags, and unlocked Ex chapters that have been found are permanently unlocked. So if I want to do the whole game myself and find everything on my own, which I do, a used copy is functionally useless.

Luckily, the game sells for a high price on eBay. The cart alone sells for more than a bought the complete game for. I also found I have $9 in credit on my 3DS. So, I’ve added it to my pile of games to sell, and I’m gonna flip it so I can come out about even for the price of a digital copy.

I played the first chapter to completion today (all endings, including the new one, and all name tags) and will try to finish the whole game over the weekend. What makes this game work so well is the way it tries to scare you. Instead of spooky jump scares or graphically detailed gore (though there is gore), you mostly get abject misery and despair, so revisiting it will upset you just from reading all the papers on the ground. Heck, when you first start the game, a spirit tells you it’s impossible to leave and that you should instead try to find your friends because it’s better to die together than alone...and finding your other friends is pretty much the goal for 80% of the game.

Another thing that makes it so scary is that it has binaural audio. The wimpy 3DS speakers won’t do anything for you, but if you plug in some decent headphones, the sound design really adds to the atmosphere and creep factor.

Also, here’s a fun fact for you: Ikue Ōtani, the voice of Pikachu, voices the serial killing little girl Sachiko.

I DID IT!!! The Champions Ballad DLC has been completed! Man, that final trial was pretty sweet and I really enjoyed all the puzzle solving you had to do. The battle that followed the dungeon was excellent and made great use of all the abilities you earned throughout the game, and those rewards...man, I think Link lucked out when it comes to his Divine Beast. It’s so ridiculous but at the same time really cool. It will certainly make exploring Hyrule a lot more interesting!

The bonus cutscene was really sweet as well. Seeing all the Champions together and getting that triumphant feeling at the start of the cutscene was great. The 6 of them all gathered together and getting a commemorative picture with the Sheikah Slate was a good idea...which was then promptly made hilarious thanks to Daruk!

I really enjoyed this game’s DLC. Both the Trial of the Sword and the Champions Ballad really added some great content to Breath of the Wild, and unlike a lot of other DLC for games it built on the strengths BotW already had in the base game and blended in some really worthwhile content. You get some great new challenges, there’s some more character development to further flesh out major NPCs in the game, and the rewards are very much worth it. I do think it’s weird how the Hero’s Path and Master Mode where in the Trial of the Sword DLC (particularly the former) since they could have worked as free updates or have them be unlocks for beating the game, but at least with Master Mode you get an entirely new game experience with how challenges are laid out and what sort of enemies you encounter (from what I’ve read anyway).

I’m glad I got back into the game and finally knocked off all the DLC. I’m certainly not done with the game as I’d like to tackle Master Mode in the future and see if I can find some more Koroks in my current playthrough, but after playing the DLC and nearly having 200 hours in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I can safely say everything about the game has made it a personal 10/10 for me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Booooo. One thing I like about Corpse Party’s structure is that each Wrong End is related to events of just the one chapter it’s in. Events in, say, Chapter 2 hold no relevance to unlocking a Wrong End in Chapter 4. They even give you the option to back out of looking at the last Victim’s Memoir page strewn about in each chapter, which unlocks a Wrong End. You find each page in numbered order. You won’t find page 4 before page 3, for example. You can collect most Wrong Ends really fast.

So I’m collecting all the pages for the Victim’s Memoirs as I go, get the Wrong End for it, and reload and go back to the story for the first two chapters, all is well, and I do the same for Chapter 3. Well. The last page is in the last room you go to in that chapter, and the last collectable Name Tag is in that room as well. But if you collected the first four pages of the memoirs, the fifth and final page blocks the path to the last Name Tag in the chapter. You have to replay the whole level if you’re not aware of this and rotating your saves, something that wasn’t all that relevant to do up until now. Now I’ve got to spend another hour going through this chapter again if I want to get everything. It’s my least favorite chapter too. There’s lots of doing certain things in certain places in a certain order and it’s somewhat long and doesn’t have much dialogue that’s padding it out compared to the first and fourth chapter.

I think the worst part about the whole thing is that you could potentially get the last Name Tag by taking an alternate route but its blocked by random chairs that don’t need to be there and there’s no reason for the devs to actively block it, so I get the impression that this was a mistake.

Edited by eal

The last chapter of Corpse Party is...brutal. And I mean brutal as in tough to beat, not necessarily in content. If you make a mistake, the entire chapter is basically over and you’re locked out of the True Ending, but you must still go through the entire chapter. Rotating saves is a must, and they need to be spaced properly or you risk having to go farther back than you want to. I spent pretty much the entire afternoon getting to the True Ending, which is crazy because, content wise, you can probably do the whole chapter in two and a half hours while reading through and not skipping dialogue.

But now that it’s done, I’m gonna try to complete it, get all the Name Tags and Endings and such, and I’m setting completing before I go to bed on Thursday night as my goal.

• Like 1

Been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 again after over a year of not playing it. Boy, didn’t realize the last time I played the game was at the end of last January according to my old save file. Seems like it was last spring when I had played it, but I guess I was in the middle of job hunting at that point and was occupied with other things.

Anyway, I’m liking the game again. Took some time to get re-figure out the controls and get my bearings on what I had been doing, but I’m making progress in the Saint Denis portion of the game again. Currently planning to get revenge on Signor Bronte and hit the bank in the city since he (Bronte) made the gang look foolish.

I’ve had to laugh at Dutch, the gang leader, getting more and more obsessed with money. It’s getting borderline ridiculous how much he says that word whenever you speak to him, but I’m seeing how he’s losing his mind over all this. I haven’t played Red Dead 1, but I know Dutch has completely lost it in that game.

I’m not sure how far I have to go in the game, but with how things are escalating...it feels like I’m reaching the end, but it’s so hard to say. I remember this game throwing hard hitting moment after another, so I guess we’ll see what awaits once Bronte is dealt with.

Booted up my new-to-me Wii today. Very roundabout fashion for hopefully playing some DQ with the kids. My wife was given a Wii when her BFF moved to Vegas about 6 years ago. Sold that about 3 years ago and just last summer gave my sister my old Wii since her kids and her didn't really play games. We'd just got the Switch and really didn't see any need to keep it. Lately my son and I have been playing a lot of games to completion on the Switch and he's asked about the DQ/Mario game and DQ Swords since he's seen the boxes but we never play them. Right before Spring Break, bought a Wii off a neighbor with a few games I need to sell off, but it did come with the extra motion control things on the controllers and Wii Sports Resort. Finally plugged it in today and played bowling and then golf. Plattym4 loved the golf, and after a couple 3-hole rounds to practice, the stinking kid legit beat me by 2 strokes on a 9-hole match. Never had Wii Sports Resort before, so we'll see how long we play with it before we try out Fortune Street and DQ Swords.

^ what timing, the next game on the docket for me was gonna be Swords. Walkthroughs on YouTube put it at about 5-6 hours long, nice and short.

• Like 1

^ what timing, the next game on the docket for me was gonna be Swords. Walkthroughs on YouTube put it at about 5-6 hours long, nice and short.
I watched Saigan play it. Didn't look fun to me.

Though I've tried to getting it working in VR. No such luck yet.

50 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I watched Saigan play it. Didn't look fun to me.

Though I've tried to getting it working in VR. No such luck yet.

I played it a few years ago and I was quite bad at it, and that’s why I dropped it. Then again, I was generally unknowledgeable about playing video games outside the comfort zone of things I already knew well, so it might click better a second time around. I also didn’t level grind. Like, at all. Because I didn’t think I’d have to. So mixing in some level grinding should help a lot lol.

• Like 1

Boy, things went from bad to worse to even more worse in Red Dead 2. Bank robbery in Saint Denis went terrible, there were two unexpected deaths (one of which I had a “Noooo!” moment outloud), had an...well, tropical adventure, and was then thrown right back into the #$*! show.

Man, I forgot how dark this game was. Dutch is getting more and more senile and scatterbrained, there’s a traitor amongst the group, and Arthur (the main character) seems to be having a recurring cough.

Things are getting nuts. I feel like when something slightly positive happens the game pokes its head around the corner and says:

Having a go at there Dragon Quest Swords. First impressions after having not so much as looked at the game in years? #$*!ing ugly looking. Walking controls around Avalonia will take some getting used to but it’s stiff as heck right now. Combat can be somewhat tough to get down perfectly but I feel like you get more accurate over time. The first boss was actually kind of a joke. I noticed in my old save file I played for about 6 hours but I feel like it was twice as long as that.

• Like 1

When you feel like a game sucks, it does seem like it's super long.

Posted (edited)

So I’ve been powering through Red Dead Redemption 2 the last few days, and have now reached the Epilogue portion of the game.

Without going into spoilers, holy #$*!. Red Dead 2 got incredibly tense the further I got, with Arthur’s struggles in and out of the gang getting harder to endure. It got to the point where even though I wanted to see what happened next, I knew that would be bad news as a whole.

The ending prior to the Epilogue...now THAT was an ending to a western. I went for the good guy Arthur route, and my actions did pay off in a few ways. While everything wasn’t peachy just because of that, I was surprised with how well some interactions and moments turned out. It was a powerful series of events that thankfully ended on a peaceful but heartbreaking moment as the screen faded to black and the music slowly drifted off. It was one of those times where I felt that heavy sensation; not something sad, but accomplished almost. It’s hard to explain in words exactly, but bottom line, I liked how things went in the ending, both in storytelling and in emotion.

Now I guess it’s time to see what happens with the Epilogue. It’s started off tame, but I doubt it will stay that way for long. I’m not exactly sure why the game has an Epilogue where you can keep playing since I figured the way it ended was the best way TO end it, but I’ll give it a chance and see what’s become of the characters now that several years have passed in game.

If you have the means to play Red Dead Redemption 2, I would highly recommend it. I don’t play Rockstar Games, but this one really surprised me with how good it was. Yes it took me over a year to get back to it and finish it, but even with that big time gap I found it to still be an enthralling experience, and it’s one of the few open world type games I can say I found myself really enjoying and losing myself in.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

The Epilogue is going well in Red Dead 2. I’ve been slowly exploring the new part of the world that’s opened up since you previously can’t explore it safely, and I’m seeing how this will tie in with the first game.

Other than Red Dead 2, I’ve been in a fighting game mood. Took advantage of that and finally unlocked all the Gallery items in The King of Fighters XIV. I’ve slowly worked at unlocking all the Gallery items since I first got the game, and thankfully a run through arcade mode nets you 10 items at a time. Having the full gallery unlocked now, it’s great to see how much artwork from the series SNK included. There’s definitely a dip in art quality when you get to KoF2001 - 2003, but never the less you still get a huge amount of art to admire from the entire KoF franchise. It’s been a long time coming, so I’m glad to have everything unlocked.

• Like 2

Finally, over a year later, Red Dead Redemption 2 has been beaten. The ending to the Epilogue was very satisfying considering you FINALLY can 

Spoiler

Shoot that son of a #$*! Micah Bell for all the #$*! he did throughout the entire game

and you see what became of all the former gang members. It also reveals how events begin to shape and lead on into Red Dead 1 from my understanding, and....well, it gives some final appreciation and a happy moment for good old Arthur Morgan.

I’ll admit I had some gaming fatigue with the Epilogue since I thought the main game ended so well, but I did enjoy most of my time playing the Epilogue. I’d imagine fans of Red Dead 1 especially liked it, and as someone new to the franchise I’m glad it gives me the chance to see where the first game takes place and helps show what became of the characters I’ve come to know while playing. Seems like the entire game world is open to explore, so I’ll see if I can finish off any Stranger missions I missed and maybe hunt down the other Legendary Animals.

Overall, I thought Red Dead Redemption 2 was fantastic. There are some things that could use a bit of polishing game design wise, but despite how long it took for me to finally finish it I loved my time with the game. It’s one of those titles I managed to lose track of time with, and I found myself invested not only in exploring the game and making the most from the gameplay, but I got hooked with the story and the characters, wanting to see what happened to those both good and bad. I’d say this one of my top 20 games for sure, and while I don’t think I’ll play many other Rockstar Games, I’m definitely going to revisit Red Dead 2 and, should it happen one way or another, see what Red Dead 1 has to offer.

Besides. This time I was a good natured outlaw who helped people whenever possible...next time, I’m going to see what happens if you go full on bad guy outlaw...😈😈😈😈😈😈😈

Been playing Animal Crossing. That is just about it. Haven't even played Trials of Mana yet. Was too busy organizing my living room and cleaning it for the last week.

2 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Been playing Animal Crossing. That is just about it. Haven't even played Trials of Mana yet. Was too busy organizing my living room and cleaning it for the last week.

How many hours do you have? It seems like everyone on my switch friend list won’t stop playing it and most have over 200 hours.

I’m getting back into Octopath Traveler, but I had the urge to revisit Link’s Awakening again. I’m playing it with Hero Mode (double damage taken, no regular hearts appear) and it’s been tough. I’ve been searching out all the Piece of Heart containers I can get, and I went into the Color Dungeon as soon as I could so I could get the defense enhancing blue armor. Still had times I had to bail on a dungeon so I could visit a fairy fountain and heal (especially before I got the blue armor) but it’s been fun.

Should be a quick replay, but I’m fine with that. The Switch remake is great fun.

On 5/13/2020 at 12:45 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

How many hours do you have? It seems like everyone on my switch friend list won’t stop playing it and most have over 200 hours.

I am at 325 hours currently.

15 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m getting back into Octopath Traveler, but I had the urge to revisit Link’s Awakening again. I’m playing it with Hero Mode (double damage taken, no regular hearts appear) and it’s been tough. I’ve been searching out all the Piece of Heart containers I can get, and I went into the Color Dungeon as soon as I could so I could get the defense enhancing blue armor. Still had times I had to bail on a dungeon so I could visit a fairy fountain and heal (especially before I got the blue armor) but it’s been fun.

Should be a quick replay, but I’m fine with that. The Switch remake is great fun.

Hero Mode is what is compelling me to buy that game to begin with. Maybe it is just me, but I consider Link's Awakening to be pretty tough at the start. Not sure how I could handle Hero Mode.