mma0701

what are you playing?

1 hour ago, eal said:

Better than what some people do, where they’ll just get it in the mail and have it sit on their shelf untouched or what a year to sell it for double the price they paid for it. At least you popped that bad boy open.

I got pretty lucky and got a West of Loathing CE off Ebay for about what I'd pay for it on their site with shipping. I might end up selling that one at some point but, yeah, at least I play the games I buy.

13 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I got pretty lucky and got a West of Loathing CE off Ebay for about what I'd pay for it on their site with shipping. I might end up selling that one at some point but, yeah, at least I play the games I buy.

The only Collector’s Edition I’ve bought for a game that I’ve had no intention of playing is the Ciel Nosurge one from Japan and that’s only because it was incredibly cheap for brand new ($25-30) and came with some nifty stuff and the box looked nice.

I spent my week spending time on Harvest Moon for the SNES. Just to kill some time before the Fire Emblem DLC. And RNG had to rear it's ugly head.

My goal for the playthrough was to get to 800+ final score. My farm got struck by a hurricane three times. The first two times I recovered just fine. But the third one happen on the VERY last day. The damage done to my farm knocked me down a little under 800, and there is no way to repair it on the final day! It is almost too comical for me to be really upset about it. Oh well. Kinda glad to be done with the game since they always drag on for far too long.

A friend of mine just gifted me a copy of Graveyard Keeper. Not sure if I will have enough time to even play it by time Rune Factory 4 comes out.

Working my way thru Caravan Heart, I am on the continent with Moonbrook Castle, just finishing up the Tower of Wind.

• Like 1

I play to Atelier Ryza It’s a charming adventure set against a gorgeous backdrop, and even though it may take a while to get going, it’s worth persevering with. Its combat is engaging, exploration is a delight, and its characters are a pleasure to know. 

Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip

Edited by avensis
  • Like 1

My Switch SNES controller got delivered yesterday and it's compatible with Stardew Valley so I'll be using it for that whenever I play docked (which isn't much tbh).

A friend of mine just gifted me a copy of Graveyard Keeper. Not sure if I will have enough time to even play it by time Rune Factory 4 comes out.

Loved SNES Harvest Moon. The game thst started my love of that genre and ROMs/emulators.

Graveyard Keeper has interested me for 2 years. It came on Switch last summer finally. But... I've just read it's just OK and even a friend that sunk some time into it and while he enjoyed it a bit, found it lacking after not a whole long time. Don't know if there's an endgame.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Loved SNES Harvest Moon. The game thst started my love of that genre and ROMs/emulators.

Graveyard Keeper has interested me for 2 years. It came on Switch last summer finally. But... I've just read it's just OK and even a friend that sunk some time into it and while he enjoyed it a bit, found it lacking after not a whole long time. Don't know if there's an endgame.

I remember being interested in Graveyard Keeper as well but also saw it was just OK. With it being on Switch I'm sure I could enjoy it more but at a deep discount. I emulated SNES Harvest Moon just to see if it would work but never played it. I can't get into other Harvest Moon type games after Stardew Valley but if it were to show up on the Switch SNES app I would absolutely give it a go.

• Like 1

I beat Yoshi's Island last night so I can focus on finishing Final Fantasy 6 now. Snack World released on the Switch today and I'm watching a review and it looks pretty tasty.

I sorta finished Persona 4 a few nights ago. I say sorta since I haven't beaten the true final boss Izanami, but I was getting tired of playing the game and wanted to move on to a different RPG. Decided to replay Dragon Quest IV (the NES version) since that game had recently reached it's 30th anniversary.

Made some good progress on Final Fantasy 6 and I'm nearing the end. It's a great game but it's kind of getting to the point of dragging on and every other fight is a boss battle. 

I got drunk and bought Goblin Sword on Switch. It's a $5 platformer with okay graphics and bad gameplay. I got it for $3 since I think they have a launch discount and that's about what I'd recommend buying it for.

I also started Captain Toad Treasure Tracker last night. That is a pretty good game. I played in docked and handheld mode and I'm not sure which I prefer. I think handheld, but the camera can get a little weird so I think having it docked would help me see things a little better but it's good either way you play.

I’m now playing Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. Aside from just having a clearly higher budget presentation than most VNs, the visual novel aspects are hella basic, and honestly the backgrounds look kinda ugly. There are a few things that help it stand out from a typical game like this, but the walking is cumbersome and is generally pretty pointless, especially since you can see where characters and relevant locations are on a map, so it would be better to just select a room and go there, but whatever. However, the game really starts to shine once you shift from Daily Life to Deadly Life (yes, that’s the name).

What’s cool about the investigation process is that it’s an outlandish situation you’re in and the rules are unusual but they make sense and are logically consistent, kind of the same thing that made Death Note so appealing. You must go around the school after someone’s murder and find evidence that will help suss out a culprit. It’s hard to explain, but the actual trial process is really tense and seeing the cast work through all the evidence to narrow down and figure out what happened is very satisfying. You fire Truth Bullets at statements that are inaccurate or untruthful, use evidence to clarify details, and perform a number of...weird mini games until everything is perfectly reconstructed.

The writing for the students overall is really good. The dub cast sounds great, especially during the trial, which is fully voiced instead of just short little noises and comments during the visual novel parts. Characters whose designs might have turned me off have otherwise won me over with their personalities. This is good because it’ll make the inevitable death and betrayal all that more surprising.

I can see why it’s a popular series.

EDIT: almost forgot. There’s a Dragon Quest reference very early in. I know it’s Dragon Quest specifically because they’re talking about a crystal ball:

F4E50765-7118-4EE2-A067-80312C3A5FD6.jpeg.bc76c9bf1f3078f5f0f4d6df9dd141f5.jpeg

Edited by eal

I was all set to go grab Snack World on my lunch break and about 5 minutes before was going to leave I decided I was going to get Fire Emblem Three Houses instead. About 5 minutes after that I was in the break room eating lunch and MP grinding in Final Fantasy 6. I got #$*! to play and bills to pay (plus PAX next week) I don't need to keep buying games.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I was all set to go grab Snack World on my lunch break and about 5 minutes before was going to leave I decided I was going to get Fire Emblem Three Houses instead. About 5 minutes after that I was in the break room eating lunch and MP grinding in Final Fantasy 6. I got #$*! to play and bills to pay (plus PAX next week) I don't need to keep buying games.

With how much you jump around between games I don’t feel quite as bad for leaving some in limbo.😜

Any game purchases I’ve made this year have been via Christmas money. I’m trying not to spend so much out of pocket on frivolous stuff, as I’m looking to move once the winter season is over.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

With how much you jump around between games I don’t feel quite as bad for leaving some in limbo.😜

Any game purchases I’ve made this year have been via Christmas money. I’m trying not to spend so much out of pocket on frivolous stuff, as I’m looking to move once the winter season is over.

I'm just kind of in between stuff. I'm at the end of FF6 where I don't need to worry about forgetting the story...I do that every time I turn off my systems. Snack World seemed like a good relaxing game to chip away at but I want to wait for a sale I think. Fire Emblem has been interesting me more but I'm not sure if I'd like it, having only played Awakening and Sacred Stones back when I was a kid. It's the battles that can take up to an hour and losing all the progress that makes me stay away from FE. I'd likely be playing on easy so would that solve my issue of being a impatient SRPG player?

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

10 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I'm just kind of in between stuff. I'm at the end of FF6 where I don't need to worry about forgetting the story...I do that every time I turn off my systems. Snack World seemed like a good relaxing game to chip away at but I want to wait for a sale I think. Fire Emblem has been interesting me more but I'm not sure if I'd like it, having only played Awakening and Sacred Stones back when I was a kid. It's the battles that can take up to an hour and losing all the progress that makes me stay away from FE. I'd likely be playing on easy so would that solve my issue of being a impatient SRPG player?

I’m just giving you crap. If I ever give you a hard time about something, it’s never out of anger or anything. I’ve been jumping between stuff too anyway. 😜

You can always play on Casual mode so if a unit “dies,” they will exit the battle due to their wounds and will be around for the next map again. You can usually save in the middle of a fight, whereas in Classic you just bookmark and then once you load the bookmark it’s gone. That’s how I originally played Awakening before starting over and playing Normal Classic. I wanted to get a feel for the game and figure out how to play since I wasn’t used to strategy RPGs at the time. Normal is the lowest difficulty setting in most FE games.

There’s no shame in playing on Casual mode to get a better idea on how to play, but you shouldn’t just throw units at stuff willy nilly because of it.

And you may just need to find that FE game that clicks with you. I played Sacred Stones and Awakening and liked them but they didn’t resonate with me, but then I played Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. That game made me a Fire Emblem fan, and because of it I went back and played/finished the others. Three Houses may be the FE game that turns you into a fan, but like DQ7, don’t just play it just because. You won’t enjoy the experience if you do.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m just giving you crap. If I ever give you a hard time about something, it’s never out of anger or anything. I’ve been jumping between stuff too anyway. 😜

You can always play on Casual mode so if a unit “dies,” they will exit the battle due to their wounds and will be around for the next map again. You can usually save in the middle of a fight, whereas in Classic you just bookmark and then once you load the bookmark it’s gone. That’s how I originally played Awakening before starting over and playing Normal Classic. I wanted to get a feel for the game and figure out how to play since I wasn’t used to strategy RPGs at the time. Normal is the lowest difficulty setting in most FE games.

There’s no shame in playing on Casual mode to get a better idea on how to play, but you shouldn’t just throw units at stuff willy nilly because of it.

And you may just need to find that FE game that clicks with you. I played Sacred Stones and Awakening and liked them but they didn’t resonate with me, but then I played Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. That game made me a Fire Emblem fan, and because of it I went back and played/finished the others. Three Houses may be the FE game that turns you into a fan, but like DQ7, don’t just play it just because. You won’t enjoy the experience if you do.

Oh I know you're never being mean and I didn't take it that way. I'd absolutely play on casual mode since I'm more interested in the life sim stuff and then the combat. I liked Awakening but I was too impatient and ended up at the end and could barely even scratch a common unit. 

16 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Oh I know you're never being mean and I didn't take it that way. I'd absolutely play on casual mode since I'm more interested in the life sim stuff and then the combat. I liked Awakening but I was too impatient and ended up at the end and could barely even scratch a common unit. 

Alright, just making sure you know that. I have had people take my joshing a little too seriously, so I want people to know I don’t mean anything by it.

And who knows? Three Houses could be the game that gets you more interested in the battle gameplay side of things. I definitely prefer the flow of combat in this game over how Awakening works. I still like Awakening, but I’m not so keen on the pair up mechanic. I thought it was handled much better in Fates, but really that game had a lot of good gameplay improvements. Shame the story and character writing is pretty meh.

I was bored so I combed through the complete list of the Wii U library (give or take 164 depending on what you think counts) and looked to see what has currently been ported to Switch. I might have missed something, but my count has 37 of those 164 games being ported to Switch, or about 22.56%. Now, it’s important to note that I only counted physical Wii U games and a couple of those games were ported digitally and there are a couple games that you can give or take, all of which skews this math so it’s really a rough estimate. For example, some people consider the Bayonetta 2 release with and without 1 as two separate games, and there are technically three different versions of New Super Mario Bros. U (Deluxe for Switch is just a renaming of the double pack release of both Super Mario Bros. U and Super Luigi U, but both versions and the double pack on Wii U count as individual games). For Mario Bros. U Deluxe, I split the difference and counted two Wii U games. There are also games that aren’t technically ports like Splatoon 2, Mario Maker 2, and Smash Bros. for Wii U so you can’t add them to the total.

Looking at the list, the majority of what’s left are games that wouldn’t ever be ported. Fitness games, movie and TV tie-ins, there are almost 10 Disney Infinity and Skylanders games, a bunch of outdated Just Dance games (about 7 or so came out before the Switch), misc. shovelware party games, the odd sports game, and even a few games that no longer have a license to be published (Ducktales Remastered and the Amazing Spider-Man games). And even then, some of those games got ports. Would it shock you if I told you Hello Kitty Kruisers for Wii U got a Switch port?

Xenoblade Chronicles X, Pikmin 3, and Star Fox Zero and I guess maybe Devil’s Third are pretty much all that’s left to be harvested on the Wii U that can be reasonably expected to be.

Edited by eal

Due to the last few days being stressful I stuck with stuff that makes me laugh (watching wise) and stuff that’s just easy to jump into. So, I ended up restarting Super Mario Odyssey yesterday morning. Don’t know why, but the thought crossed my mind so I went for it.

This is one of those games where I immediately wanted to replay it after fully finishing it last year, but I waited. I think I would have had as much fun then as I am having now, because it’s still a fantastic and fun game. I love it. Maybe I just needed something like this right now, but it’s been great replaying the game for what little I have.

I just finished off the events in the Sand Kingdom, and plan to go to the Lakeside Kingdom next. I’m enjoying rediscovering where all the Moons are, as well as hunting down the purple coins. With how much there is to see and do in each Kingdom, it’s been a treat roaming the areas again. It reminds me of how I enjoyed going back to Super Mario 64 and Sunshine when I was younger.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Due to the last few days being stressful I stuck with stuff that makes me laugh (watching wise) and stuff that’s just easy to jump into. So, I ended up restarting Super Mario Odyssey yesterday morning. Don’t know why, but the thought crossed my mind so I went for it.

This is one of those games where I immediately wanted to replay it after fully finishing it last year, but I waited. I think I would have had as much fun then as I am having now, because it’s still a fantastic and fun game. I love it. Maybe I just needed something like this right now, but it’s been great replaying the game for what little I have.

I just finished off the events in the Sand Kingdom, and plan to go to the Lakeside Kingdom next. I’m enjoying rediscovering where all the Moons are, as well as hunting down the purple coins. With how much there is to see and do in each Kingdom, it’s been a treat roaming the areas again. It reminds me of how I enjoyed going back to Super Mario 64 and Sunshine when I was younger.

I've jumped into stuff that brings back good memories when I need a pick me up. I remember after a really stressful day I loaded up EarthBound just to see and hear the intro. I'm glad everything seems to be good for you.

I started up Okami HD a few nights ago. I wasn’t sure what to play so I went through my digital games on my Switch and figured I’d give Okami a shot and see if it grabbed me. It’s been years since I first played it and I had boughten the HD version during a sale at some point.

The game is just what I remember, though this time I’m not getting stuck at random points. I think it was @eal who said (a few years ago) that I seem to be drawn to Hideki Kamiya games, because I never really noticed until now that while playing that he was responsible for this game. I had just watched a friend of mine play it years ago in high school, and it seemed like a fun game so I bought it on a whim. Guess that was the start of me liking games made by Kamiya, and now Platinum Games.

Currently I’m on my way back to the starting village to try and help restore the guardian tree there. I’ve been running around Shinshu Field, and it’s cool to see how vibrant the world looks again. Love the music that plays as you run around too, especially how it changes depending on how fast you run.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:43 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I started up Okami HD a few nights ago. I wasn’t sure what to play so I went through my digital games on my Switch and figured I’d give Okami a shot and see if it grabbed me. It’s been years since I first played it and I had boughten the HD version during a sale at some point.

The game is just what I remember, though this time I’m not getting stuck at random points. I think it was @eal who said (a few years ago) that I seem to be drawn to Hideki Kamiya games, because I never really noticed until now that while playing that he was responsible for this game. I had just watched a friend of mine play it years ago in high school, and it seemed like a fun game so I bought it on a whim. Guess that was the start of me liking games made by Kamiya, and now Platinum Games.

Currently I’m on my way back to the starting village to try and help restore the guardian tree there. I’ve been running around Shinshu Field, and it’s cool to see how vibrant the world looks again. Love the music that plays as you run around too, especially how it changes depending on how fast you run.

I remember commenting on you liking a specific creator’s works but I dunno if it was Kamiya. The only other Kamiya game I can remember you playing was Wonderful 101.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, eal said:

I remember commenting on you liking a specific creator’s works but I dunno if it was Kamiya. The only other Kamiya game I can remember you playing was Wonderful 101.

I’ve also played Bayonetta. It’s been awhile since we’ve had the back and forth so I don’t fully remember everything that was said, I only remembered you had mentioned Kamiya.

58 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve also played Bayonetta. It’s been awhile since we’ve had the back and forth so I don’t fully remember everything that was said, I only remembered you had mentioned Kamiya.

Did you ever get around to Bayo 2? In my opinion, it was much better. It might sound strange considering Platinum is known for going big with giant hype battles, but Bayonetta 2 had a lot more human-sized boss battles, and the combat is just a lot more fun against a person your size instead of a giant #$*!ing monster.