Jump to content
mma0701

what are you playing?

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking about starting Final Fantasy VI while playing Kakarot. With my PS4 being up in my room I'm thinking I could play it a bit before dinner and then the rest of the night play FF on GBA downstairs with my wife. It'd be kind of like coming home to watch an episode or two on Cartoon Network since I'd like play it for 30 minutes to an hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m now at Donkey Kong Island in Tropical Freeze. The 5th world, Juicy Jungle, has been my favorite of the game thus far both level design and environment wise, but now it’s time to take back the Kong’s home turf. I’m glad world 5 was a major step up from world 4, because hoo boy, I was not a fan of that world.

Anyway, it’s interesting seeing DK Island covered in snow. Looking in the background I see references to locations from Donkey Kong Country Returns, and honestly I’ve been wanting to go back to that game and properly finish it off. Hopefully I can get the game finished this weekend.
 

Other than that, I’ve been messing around with the NES and SNES games in the evenings after work and I finally started playing Puyo Puyo Champions. I bought it back at Black Friday but never started it up, but it’s been fun. I like all the customization options you can select, from backgrounds to the Puyo designs to the music and other such things. I do recognize some of the characters from the JP game on the SNES library, but I’ve stuck with playing as the mermaid and the little yellow dude. 

I prefer the traditional rules like you find in Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, but Fever rules are ok. It’s been a good game to relax with after work, but some of the CPU opponents are real mean mother fudgers. I’m disappointed there isn’t a single player mode like some of the other Puyo games I’ve played, but eh. The puzzle gameplay is fun regardless, and that’s all I really care about.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completed Golf Story. I feel like this is one of those games that the internet has hyped up way too much.

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot to enjoy about this game. But the humor was very hit and miss. With mostly misses. No where as funny as people were making it out to be. The game was also suffering from several graphical glitches and even some frame drops at the end of the game. Having a frame drop while trying to hit the ball has to be one of the worst things to have a frame drop on. The game's difficutly was all over the place. I felt like it wasn't that progressive in difficutly. The final tournament was so damn easy, yet I had a more difficult time with side quests and duals that I completed hours prior. The game also had one of the most dissatisfying endings I have seen in a while.

I am hoping that Sports Story turns out well. It looks far more promising.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



I completed Golf Story. I feel like this is one of those games that the internet has hyped up way too much.

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot to enjoy about this game. But the humor was very hit and miss. With mostly misses. No where as funny as people were making it out to be. The game was also suffering from several graphical glitches and even some frame drops at the end of the game. Having a frame drop while trying to hit the ball has to be one of the worst things to have a frame drop on. The game's difficutly was all over the place. I felt like it wasn't that progressive in difficutly. The final tournament was so damn easy, yet I had a more difficult time with side quests and duals that I completed hours prior. The game also had one of the most dissatisfying endings I have seen in a while.
I am hoping that Sports Story turns out well. It looks far more promising.


That's disappointing. I'd heard it discussed and figured I'd give it a try one day, but that's not a ringing endorsement when I have close to 100 other games I already own to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I finished off Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze! There’s another game off the list of “Games Stuck in Limbo.”

The last few levels of DK Island were tough but fun. The final boss was a satisfying fight but man, it does have some rather tough difficulty for no reason at the final phase. I suppose it would since it’s the final boss, but they could have toned it back just a bit.

Anyway, I managed to open up the secret 7th world and finished off those three difficult stages, and Hard Mode was unlocked! I’m thinking I’ll wait before trying to tackle all the levels again on Hard Mode what with all the challenges that come with it, but being able to play as any of the Kongs instead of always playing as DK is a welcome reward.

 

I’m glad I finally finished the game. Definitely a great addition to the Donkey Kong Country series, and I’m glad I got it up for the Switch last year. I’m looking forward to coming back to the game in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve gotten the itch to play some Metroid after watching some videos on The Geek Critique channel over on YouTube. Metroid is a series I’ve dabbled in, but I’ve never beaten a game before. I’ve gotten close several times with games like Fusion and Prime 1, but just never completed them for one reason or another.

So I decided to dabble with Super Metroid again. I played the game at a cousin’s house a few times before as a little kid, but never even made it to Kraid. To be fair, the game was kind of intimidating as a child, mainly due to the presentation and atmosphere. It was quite creepy.

Playing it again for the first time in years, I felt all of those things again. Now, however, it’s got me hooked with the way the game has subtitle story beats and progression clues. Not gonna lie, those videos made me realize why I must have gotten interested in the series in late high school and college. Guess I never noticed why exactly until now. Hopefully this will lead to me going back and playing more of the Metroid games too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve gotten the itch to play some Metroid after watching some videos on The Geek Critique channel over on YouTube. Metroid is a series I’ve dabbled in, but I’ve never beaten a game before. I’ve gotten close several times with games like Fusion and Prime 1, but just never completed them for one reason or another.

So I decided to dabble with Super Metroid again. I played the game at a cousin’s house a few times before as a little kid, but never even made it to Kraid. To be fair, the game was kind of intimidating as a child, mainly due to the presentation and atmosphere. It was quite creepy.

Playing it again for the first time in years, I felt all of those things again. Now, however, it’s got me hooked with the way the game has subtitle story beats and progression clues. Not gonna lie, those videos made me realize why I must have gotten interested in the series in late high school and college. Guess I never noticed why exactly until now. Hopefully this will lead to me going back and playing more of the Metroid games too.

The only Metroid game I’ve put any good amount of time into is Other M, which I was told was the a bad game, and I‘ll take hardcore Metroid fans’ word for it that, as a Metroid story, the narrative probably wasn’t good, but I still liked it as a stand-alone (in my head) space story. Gameplay was fun. I actually almost completed it, I just had to finish the game on the hardest difficulty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eal said:

The only Metroid game I’ve put any good amount of time into is Other M, which I was told was the a bad game, and I‘ll take hardcore Metroid fans’ word for it that, as a Metroid story, the narrative probably wasn’t good, but I still liked it as a stand-alone (in my head) space story. Gameplay was fun. I actually almost completed it, I just had to finish the game on the hardest difficulty.

Oof. That game. I wasn’t as knowledgeable on Metroid when that game was coming out, but seeing and hearing how much Samus talked was very out of character. I actually just watched an hour long video earlier today that discussed the good and bad of Other M, and it was fairly spot on with what I’ve heard from others and my own impressions.

If you don’t have time to watch it, long story short he makes a good point that the game would have worked as a prequel game to set up the Samus we know and would have worked (and made a lot more sense) with some of the story beats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Metroid: Other M is a fun game for people that haven’t ever played a Metroid game before. Most of the criticisms I saw for it were related to how it was so unlike previous entries or how it altered Samus’s character. The only altered part of Samus that bothered me, having not played a Metroid game before Other M, was hearing her name pronounced “Sam-Us” when Smash Bros. got me used to “Sawm-Us.”

In terms of critical videos of Other M, the one I’m most familiar with was Gaming Brit’a video from years and years ago:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I wouldn’t say it gets a good first impression from most people. I’ve seen plenty of people who tried it out but were just underwhelmed by it as their first Metroid game. But everyone has different tastes and experiences, so no one opinion for first timers or veterans is right or wrong. We’ll just leave it at Metroid: Other M is a Metroid of a different color and that it gave us the numerous “THE BABY,” meme. 🤣

 

Anyway, I accidentally sequence broke in Super Metroid. When exploring the volcanic area I was grabbing a middle upgrade and noticed there was a ledge I could reach but couldn’t since I lacked the grapple beam. I feel into the pit of spikes beneath the cliff and was trying to get out before I died when I somehow did a wall jump and got up to the ledge by complete accident and wound up getting the Wave Beam early.

I knew the game had a wall jump mechanic, but when I tried to do it earlier to see if I could I couldn’t get it to work. Looking into it, wall jumping became easier with later games and it’s a bit tricky to do in Super Metroid regardless. I guess I just have to accidentally go for it and then I suddenly can! I see plenty of people talk about sequence breaking isn’t a huge deal in this game though, so hooray for accidently doing a trick and getting something early when I was just trying to escape a pit trap and not die!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve gotten the itch to play some Metroid after watching some videos on The Geek Critique channel over on YouTube. Metroid is a series I’ve dabbled in, but I’ve never beaten a game before. I’ve gotten close several times with games like Fusion and Prime 1, but just never completed them for one reason or another.

Those videos are fantastic. I watched a few as I was playing some Metroid games last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress in Super Metroid is going well. I’ve now taken down two of the guardians of Zebes, with Phantoon being the one I just defeated this evening. I love the roars of the bosses. Definitely adds to the creepy vibe of the game.

As of now I’m in the underwater section of the planet, Maridia. Thanks to the Gravity Suit, which is easily my favorite power up from the series and my go-to color choice for Samus in Smash, I can easily explore the underwater areas of Zebes now with no worries. Which is a really good thing because there have been some tricky items to get in Maridia! But getting to them is all the more satisfying, especially with that iconic item jingle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other M is... something else. I played through a good part of the game when it first came out. The game honestly wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the terrible story and setting. The gameplay was kinda clunky with the pointing the wii mote to shoot missles and such. But it wasn't that bad of a game.

The story though... oh boy. I hated nearly everything about it.

I actually did my first full clear of Super Metroid almost a year ago. I played through the game a lot as a kid, but being so young I had a hard time going through the game. The hardcore following of that game is well deserved.

If you want something insane, there is combo randomizer of A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Where item locations are completely random, and you items are often crossed into the other game. Such as finding a missle upgrade in aLLtP. Randomizer tournaments are some of the best things to watch on Twitch.

Here is a race that happend at Summer Games Done Quick last year if anyone is interested.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Other M is... something else. I played through a good part of the game when it first came out. The game honestly wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the terrible story and setting. The gameplay was kinda clunky with the pointing the wii mote to shoot missles and such. But it wasn't that bad of a game.

The story though... oh boy. I hated nearly everything about it.

I actually did my first full clear of Super Metroid almost a year ago. I played through the game a lot as a kid, but being so young I had a hard time going through the game. The hardcore following of that game is well deserved.

If you want something insane, there is combo randomizer of A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Where item locations are completely random, and you items are often crossed into the other game. Such as finding a missle upgrade in aLLtP. Randomizer tournaments are some of the best things to watch on Twitch.

Here is a race that happend at Summer Games Done Quick last year if anyone is interested.
 

 

I’ll give it a watch this evening. I’ve heard about people doing a randomizer for both but I didn’t realize both games can affect the other. That’s pretty nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D in the mail today. After beating Tropical Freeze I had the itch to go back and play Returns, and thankfully the Nintendo Selects version of the game wasn’t that expensive on Amazon. I figured it would be much more like some 3DS games are becoming price wise. Only played the first level so far to see how it plays on my 3DS XL, but it feels good so far. Might have to give this game a full go in the near future.

This does make me realize I should probably try and get some other 3DS games before it’s too late and they become super expensive. I still need to get Kirby Planet Robobot, Ever Oasis, and WarioWare Gold at some point. I don’t know when I’d play them, but I already have a good collection of 3DS games and would like to round things off.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All four bosses of Zebes have been defeated and now it’s time to head to the center of the planet. The battle with Ridley was super satisfying, as I remember trying (key word being trying) to fight him ages ago on one of my cousin’s save files. His copy of the game on an actual SNES was how I first played the game, and apart from the new file I made for myself I quickly loaded up his and somehow made it to Ridley in the depths of Norfair. Got my ass handed to me, so defeating him once and for all now in Super Metroid all these years later was sweet revenge!

The broken glass beyond his boss room is very ominous, and again shows how well Metroid can tell a story without any dialogue. This is the kind of story telling I love to see. No need for a lot of dialogue or pointing out obvious things, just letting the player see it and have “Ah ha!” moments thanks to the subtlety. Not to mention how the environment itself tells a story and create a mood. Lower Norfair was pretty damn creepy to me even now as a 26 year old. Definitely loving the game and see why Super Metroid has been hailed as a masterpiece of a SNES game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Metroid has been completed....after I died once because I didn’t escape the planet in time after killing Mother Brain! Oops. The layout for the two rooms right after that fight was confusing to get through due to the explosions and whatnot going on, but retrying and knowing what to expect I did it! I even saved the friendly animals too.

My end time was 7 hours and 55 minutes, so just short of 8 hours, and I ended with an item rate of 91%. I’d say that’s pretty good for a first timer all things considered! I found all the energy tanks and I think I found all the power bomb upgrades (I ended up at 50 of them), so I’m guessing it’s mainly missile upgrades and the 4th reserve tank I didn’t find.

 

I’m glad to finally have a Metroid game beaten, and I can see why Super Metroid is so well loved. Definitely a great SNES game and entry to the Metroid series, and I can start to understand why it’s so highly praised even now. Definitely a game I’m glad I finally sat down and played through, and I’m sure I’ll replay it again soon enough. SNES games and me are like peanut butter and jelly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Metroid is a damned good game. If you get a chance, I highly recommend playing the two GBA Metroid games: Zero Mission and Fusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Super Metroid has been completed....after I died once because I didn’t escape the planet in time after killing Mother Brain! Oops. The layout for the two rooms right after that fight was confusing to get through due to the explosions and whatnot going on, but retrying and knowing what to expect I did it! I even saved the friendly animals too.

My end time was 7 hours and 55 minutes, so just short of 8 hours, and I ended with an item rate of 91%. I’d say that’s pretty good for a first timer all things considered! I found all the energy tanks and I think I found all the power bomb upgrades (I ended up at 50 of them), so I’m guessing it’s mainly missile upgrades and the 4th reserve tank I didn’t find.

 

I’m glad to finally have a Metroid game beaten, and I can see why Super Metroid is so well loved. Definitely a great SNES game and entry to the Metroid series, and I can start to understand why it’s so highly praised even now. Definitely a game I’m glad I finally sat down and played through, and I’m sure I’ll replay it again soon enough. SNES games and me are like peanut butter and jelly.

That is a pretty respectable time and collection rate for a first playthrough. I think I was around 9 hours with 80% on my first playthrough. I think most of that time was spent trying to wall jump though. The timing on that doing it is really hard. Especially on lower end TVs and emulation.

 

1 hour ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Super Metroid is a damned good game. If you get a chance, I highly recommend playing the two GBA Metroid games: Zero Mission and Fusion.

I second this as well. Especially Fusion. The dark atmosphere they pulled off in that game is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Super Metroid is a damned good game. If you get a chance, I highly recommend playing the two GBA Metroid games: Zero Mission and Fusion.

I’ll have to re-download Fusion to my 3DS. I got far into the game but never finished it. I was in college and finals were coming up when I was playing it, so my attention shifted away from games. I’ll definitely try and replay it though. If Zero Mission is on the eshop for Wii U I can give it a go on that.

7 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

That is a pretty respectable time and collection rate for a first playthrough. I think I was around 9 hours with 80% on my first playthrough. I think most of that time was spent trying to wall jump though. The timing on that doing it is really hard. Especially on lower end TVs and emulation.

 

I second this as well. Especially Fusion. The dark atmosphere they pulled off in that game is amazing.

Wall jumping was difficult to learn, but I eventually got the hang of it. I had an easier time with bomb jumping actually, but funny enough I did have an accidental wall jump sequence break. Didn’t mean to even do it, and I typed up what happened a few posts back.

I have to say, that final part of the game was actually really intimidating, even at 26. The giant Metroid flying in from no where and nearly killing Samus, Mother Brain’s new form and those goddamn screams and battle music....damn! I liked it, but I could see where kids would have been scared by the battle with Mother Brain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ll have to re-download Fusion to my 3DS. I got far into the game but never finished it. I was in college and finals were coming up when I was playing it, so my attention shifted away from games. I’ll definitely try and replay it though. If Zero Mission is on the eshop for Wii U I can give it a go on that.

Wall jumping was difficult to learn, but I eventually got the hang of it. I had an easier time with bomb jumping actually, but funny enough I did have an accidental wall jump sequence break. Didn’t mean to even do it, and I typed up what happened a few posts back.

I have to say, that final part of the game was actually really intimidating, even at 26. The giant Metroid flying in from no where and nearly killing Samus, Mother Brain’s new form and those goddamn screams and battle music....damn! I liked it, but I could see where kids would have been scared by the battle with Mother Brain.

The screams and noises from the bosses are embedded into me. Especially with Mother Brain as you mentioned. It goes to show how how good sound design can go for a game. 

I don't think anything will be as memorable as the Crocomire fight. I managed to get about that far as a kid. And to this day I still feel a little uncomfortable from that fight. It scared the hell out of me as a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Along with continuing to play Persona 4, I've been mostly playing Tetris Blast on Game Boy and the Game Boy Advance version of Donkey Kong Country 3. I wish Tetris Blast (aka Bombliss) was what our Tetris 2 (aka Tetris Flash) was since that game is so awkward; it wants to be Tetris and Dr. Mario at the same time which should work, but falls flat. Other than some little screen crunch issues in the vertical levels, I do prefer the GBA version of DKC3 to the SNES one. While many people seem to poo on the new soundtrack, I overall prefer it to the SNES one (not that either is necessarily bad) with the GBA's Water World and Mill Fever being my favorites. Also the GBA version has an additional world to go through and they shuffled the boss order around slightly along with adding a new one to fight.

 

I also recently got a replacement rubber pad for my GBA I've had for like 18 years and it works great now! Before that I'd have to press really hard right to get a character to move and looking at the old rubber pad, it looks like the left side was starting to go too. I should really get a new screen for this thing since it is a bit scratched up, but I'm not sure if I'd want to go with another plastic screen or upgrade to a glass one. While going for the glass one is my first thought, I fear that I'll drop the console like I've done many times over the years and thus cracking the screen. A plastic screen is a bit cheaper and more durable when it comes to drops, but they do scratch easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah damn. I went back to Super Metroid to see if I could find the stuff I missed but I didn’t know the final save point would lock me into the point of no return. Nuts. Guess I’ll have to play a fresh file down the road and try to find the stuff I missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Limited Run Games Star Wars NES CE got delivered today. Looking forward to framing the poster it came with and playing the game for about 20 minutes before I give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

My Limited Run Games Star Wars NES CE got delivered today. Looking forward to framing the poster it came with and playing the game for about 20 minutes before I give up.

Better than what some people do, where they’ll just get it in the mail and have it sit on their shelf untouched or what a year to sell it for double the price they paid for it. At least you popped that bad boy open.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...