mma0701

what are you playing?

Horizon Zero Dawn is 100% done. The game was enjoyable for the most part. Like most open world games I play, it started to drag at the end.

The best part about the game was the combat. Fighting different machines was great. Each machine could be approached in a different way. While not optimal, you can get away with fighting them in your own play style as well. The world never felt too empty.  I enjoyed the story itself, but most of the characters were bland and unmemorable. I can't even name half of the characters you interact with in the game.

My biggest complaint about the game were the dungeons. They were so bland and uninteresting. All the dungeons I was wondering around mindlessly. Not being able to see anything, and trying to find spots on walls to climb up. The was only one type of puzzle you will find in dungeons. The DLC had it's own unique type of puzzle, but didn't save the dungeons. I want dungeons to challenge me. The only thing that was challenged was my sense of direction.

The ending fight was pretty lame in the base game. It was pretty good in the DLC.

Now that game is out of the way. I will probably play Fire Emblem again. But the new stuff with Smash bros. tomorrow is probably going to keep me occupied.

Kakarot Metacritic was at 80 this morning. The impression I've seen say the combat is pretty good but the open world stuff can get repetitive and boring. I'm playing it mostly for the story so the other stuff I can deal with. Seems like I'll be getting it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Kakarot Metacritic was at 80 this morning. The impression I've seen say the combat is pretty good but the open world stuff can get repetitive and boring. I'm playing it mostly for the story so the other stuff I can deal with. Seems like I'll be getting it tomorrow. 

Hasn’t the DBZ story been told a million times? That’s what got me not caring about this new game; there’s only so many times a person can experience the same story.

17 minutes ago, eal said:

Hasn’t the DBZ story been told a million times? That’s what got me not caring about this new game; there’s only so many times a person can experience the same story.

It has, and that's a main complaint with people, but I've only experienced the Buu saga way back when so it's basically a new story for me.

32 minutes ago, eal said:

That’s why I don’t care about Dragon Ball games. They just retell the story over and over and over and over and over and....well, you get the idea.

That’s why I liked Dragon Ball FighterZ when playing the story mode portion. It was an entirely new set of events. It wasn’t a ground breaking story, but it provided new ways for characters to interact and respond to events. It was a nice break from fighting folks online or practicing in Arcade Mode.

Kind of makes me wish we could see a shorter Part 2 story mode added to see the other DLC characters take part in the game somehow.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Been playing a bunch of Stardew Valley recently. I was originally trying to role play as Torneko but I've kind of fallen off that. I named my farm Endor and made my character look like him. It's seriously one of my favorite games ever.
It's been 1.5 years since my STV run. I'm feeling the calling. Rune Factory 4 needs to hurry up!

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That’s why I don’t care about Dragon Ball games. They just retell the story over and over and over and over and over and....well, you get the idea.

That’s why I liked Dragon Ball FighterZ when playing the story mode portion. It was an entirely new set of events. It wasn’t a ground breaking story, but it provided new ways for characters to interact and respond to events. It was a nice break from fighting folks online or practicing in Arcade Mode.

Kind of makes me wish we could see a shorter Part 2 story mode added to see the other DLC characters take part in the game somehow.

It was nice that FighterZ had a unique story. But my god, they dragged it out for far too long. Having an original story wouldn't have saved it.

17 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

It was nice that FighterZ had a unique story. But my god, they dragged it out for far too long. Having an original story wouldn't have saved it.

Yeah. They could have cut out a lot of fights against the clones.

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Legacy of Goku II and Buu’s Fury were my favorite versions of the DBZ story. I actually experienced the entire Cell Saga through Goku II, I didn’t know about anything that happened beforehand it was great. Still love those games and the soundtracks are strangely memorable for licensed GBA games.

10 hours ago, eal said:

Legacy of Goku II and Buu’s Fury were my favorite versions of the DBZ story. I actually experienced the entire Cell Saga through Goku II, I didn’t know about anything that happened beforehand it was great. Still love those games and the soundtracks are strangely memorable for licensed GBA games.

I will give Dragon Ball games credit for having some really good music. Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden has some good music in it, with these two being my favorite stage themes. The Planet Namek theme is especially great.

Downloaded the NES and SNES Nintendo Switch Online apps. Since they’re fee downloads, I figured I may as well now that I have Switch Online. While I have most of the games on other consoles (both physical and digital), I’ll be happy to play these games on the go whenever I take my Switch somewhere.

Not gonna lie though, with having these on Switch now I have the hankering to do some races on some NES or SNES games, particularly Super Mario World and Kirby’s Adventure. I blame watching ProtonJon streams/archives.

• Like 1

Downloaded the NES and SNES Nintendo Switch Online apps. Since they’re fee downloads, I figured I may as well now that I have Switch Online. While I have most of the games on other consoles (both physical and digital), I’ll be happy to play these games on the go whenever I take my Switch somewhere.
Not gonna lie though, with having these on Switch now I have the hankering to do some races on some NES or SNES games, particularly Super Mario World and Kirby’s Adventure. I blame watching ProtonJon streams/archives.
Plattym4 and I made it about halfway through Double Dragon the other day. You know, with rewind. Haha

Whew, how did we do that stuff ages ago?

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Plattym4 and I made it about halfway through Double Dragon the other day. You know, with rewind. Haha

Whew, how did we do that stuff ages ago?

A lot more free time and learning the patterns would be my guess. Haha

You should show him Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World. Both are pretty easy games to get into, and I would say World is easier than 3. Both have 2 player modes. Super Mario World was the first game I played.

I’m 10 hours behind on podcasts so I’m listening to those while I play a session of Sleepy Dogs, trying to finish everything in the game. I’ve polished off the main game stuff long ago. All that’s left is the repetitive side content in the DLC. They scaled some of these things really poorly. In Year of the Snake, I need to arrest 200 criminals, and generally, they spawn 3 at a time in random locations all over the map. But this and maybe two more side missions are all that’s left in that, and then I’m basically done.

• Like 1

Kakarot is pretty fun! I'm getting the hang of combat now and look forward to the next major fight all the time. I'm in an intermission before I go to the next msjor story beat so I have some time to explore. Exploring the world is alright, not the best, not the worst. 

Still going through Persona 4; Rise and Teddie joined the team. I also maxed out my first social link (the strength one).

From playing random GB games, I got in the mood to play Wario Land II again and decided to play the Japanese copy I got last year since I had already 100%d the English Game Boy version. As fun as it is seeing penguins throw beer at Wario in an attempt to get him drunk in some levels (and having drunk Wario burp on them to kill them), I prefer the original Game Boy version over the Game Boy Color version. The colors look kinda washed out and for some dumb reason your save file isn't cross compatible between certain iterations of the Game Boy family; like I have to choose if I want to play the game on a Game Boy/GB Pocket/GB Light/Super Game Boy/Super Game Boy 2 OR on a Game Boy Color/Advance/SP/GB Player. I don't have to worry about this issue with the Game Boy version of Wario Land II or any other black cart GBC game to my knowledge. Regardless of that issue, the game is still fun and like with Dragon Warrior I-II on GBC, the game changes borders depending on where you are when being played on a Super Game Boy.

• Like 1

The “Finish Games I Left in Limbo,” list continues with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I got this one back in the summer last year but after reaching the third world, Bright Savannah, I put the game aside since I got it around the same time I got Breath of the Wild. I’ve really grown to love the Donkey Kong Country games the older I’ve gotten, but when I think about it I’ve enjoyed DK platformers since Donkey Kong 64 back on the N64 and the GBC version of Donkey Kong Country 1 (and I’m not talking about the DK Land games, I’m specifically talking about the GBC port of DKC1.)

Anyway, I’m hoping to get Tropical Freeze finished next. I’ve heard many call this one of the best platformers from the 2010s, and while I set it aside for a long time I remembered why I liked it as soon as I started playing again and hearing that great music composed by good ol’ David Wise.

21 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Anyway, I’m hoping to get Tropical Freeze finished next. I’ve heard many call this one of the best platformers from the 2010s, and while I set it aside for a long time I remembered why I liked it as soon as I started playing again and hearing that great music composed by good ol’ David Wise.

I am gonna vouch for that statement. Tropical Freeze is REALLY good. It holds up to the original trilogy really well.

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

I am gonna vouch for that statement. Tropical Freeze is REALLY good. It holds up to the original trilogy really well.

Here’s my question for you then since you’ve played the original trilogy: what game do you personally think is the hardest of all the Country games?

I lean towards DKC2 because that game can get down right mean once you hit world 3. DKC1 has some hard levels, but I found it easier to complete than DKC2 back when I was going through the original SNES versions for the first time in junior high.

DKC Returns felt tough, but I blame that on the forced motion controls on the Wii and how they could accidently activate if you moved your arm. Didn’t play the 3DS version when it came out, so I’m just judging by the Wii original.

23 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Here’s my question for you then since you’ve played the original trilogy: what game do you personally think is the hardest of all the Country games?

I lean towards DKC2 because that game can get down right mean once you hit world 3. DKC1 has some hard levels, but I found it easier to complete than DKC2 back when I was going through the original SNES versions for the first time in junior high.

DKC Returns felt tough, but I blame that on the forced motion controls on the Wii and how they could accidently activate if you moved your arm. Didn’t play the 3DS version when it came out, so I’m just judging by the Wii original.

DKC2 would have to be the hardest from my personal experience. The level design of DKC2 was a lot less forgiving then it was with 3. DKC was pretty easy. At least for me anyways. I haven't touched DKC Returns yet to really comment on it.

I'm hoping they put the Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES app. I tried playing Tropical Freeze with my wife on the WiiU and it did not work out. I think I could get into it solo on Switch.

14 hours ago, Twinkie said:

DKC2 would have to be the hardest from my personal experience. The level design of DKC2 was a lot less forgiving then it was with 3. DKC was pretty easy. At least for me anyways. I haven't touched DKC Returns yet to really comment on it.

Yep, I agree with most everything. I thought some later levels of DKC could get REALLY close shave like (for lack of a better way to explain it haha), with Chimp Caverns being particularly rough. I’d say DKC1 kind of goes back and forth, but other than a handful of stages I never thought the game was as hard as DKC2. Maybe it’s because I grew up playing the GBC version and I just got used to what to do, but considering I usually play hard games anyway I don’t know! 🤪

I still love the DKC games though, and of the original trilogy I’d go 2, 1, and then 3. I don’t remember Returns that well to place it, but Tropical Freeze (even though I haven’t beaten it) would probably be towards the top.

Anyway, I forgot to mention yesterday that I started getting back into Cuphead again. I’ve been struggling with the Expert difficulty, and boy, with some of the bosses they aren’t kidding when it comes to Expert. The damn flower boss is just a nightmare on the first phase of the fight. I have gotten back into the swing of playing though, so I was able to beat all the bosses of Ink Isle 1 on Expert and most of the ones on Ink Isle 2. All that’s left on 2 is the bird boss, and then I will go to the next Isle.

I’m going to try (and the key word is try) to get an S rank on Expert for each boss, but unlike Smash Ultimate where I felt confident about the challenge, it’s not the same for Cuphead! I love the game, but man, it can be pretty brutal sometimes. I’m still going to try, but as long as I can beat all the bosses on Expert I’ll call it good and try to work on S Ranks every now and then.

I felt like garbage yesterday so instead of sitting up in my room playing Kakarot I laid on the couch and played Stardew Valley. I'm making some really good progress and with it being summer in the game I'm starting to get a constant revenue stream.

Edit: Bandai announced there's an update coming to Kakarot allowing you to go back to chapters to complete side quests you missed or didn't do the first time. This is really good news for me so I can just focus on the main story and not waste time with uninspired side quests. I'll still try to do them as they pop up but if one gets too annoying I'll get back to it later.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

100%d GBC Wario Land II (didn't go through the secret bonus level because I didn't feel like it) and beat Shadow Mitsuo in Persona 4 which I feel like is the halfway point of the game. Now I need another side game to play; I was playing a bit of Donkey Kong Land 2 and Picross 2 on Game Boy, so I suppose I could continue on with those two games.

I’m on the fourth world of Tropical Freeze. I have trouble remembering the world names since they don’t use alliteration. That made it easy to remember stuff in the SNES games.

2nd world’s Temple level was annoying. I spent so much time in there my banana coin counter ended up at over 600 coins, and it nearly passed 700.

I’m starting to think this game is more difficult than DKC2, but I need to replay that game to see if I still think that. I’m getting pretty fed up with the underwater levels in world 4, particularly the one I just ended on with that giant octopus who constantly chases you throughout the entire level. The final vertical section was such a pain in the ass. I went through so many lives.

I’m also not a fan of the puzzle pieces you collect. This world has been especially bad about them. Thank god that once you grab them you can still hold onto them even if you die, so you don’t have to re-grab them when you respawn at the checkpoint.

I’m still liking the game, but man. I either forgot how tough Donkey Kong platformers are or I’m just not on my A game while playing.