mma0701

what are you playing?

Trying to decide between playing Link to the Past or Dragon Warrior Monsters while I wait out the last few days before Ni no Kuni. I figure I could beat one of those in the next 9 days.

4 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Trying to decide between playing Link to the Past or Dragon Warrior Monsters while I wait out the last few days before Ni no Kuni. I figure I could beat one of those in the next 9 days.

DWM then, probably. Unless you're only playing an hour a day. Then LttP should last long enough.

4 hours ago, GrandAlchemist said:

DWM then, probably. Unless you're only playing an hour a day. Then LttP should last long enough.

Played a little bit to be sure it was for me and got to Hale. I like it so far.

22 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Played a little bit to be sure it was for me and got to Hale. I like it so far.

DWM 1 and 2 are easily two of my favorite games. They are really well-made.

2 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Heads up. The SNES controllers are available now.

https://snesc.nintendo.com/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers

I was trying to remember which thread I had posted about them in. I was just coming with the link lol. Thanks for the heads up! Probably going to wait until payday. Money is a bit tight with the whole buying a new house thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I was trying to remember which thread I had posted about them in. I was just coming with the link lol. Thanks for the heads up! Probably going to wait until payday. Money is a bit tight with the whole buying a new house thing.

I had to pass on it as well. Rune Factory 4 done my wallet in for the rest of the month. It looks like the controllers sold out as well. Can't say I am surprised by that.

9 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I had to pass on it as well. Rune Factory 4 done my wallet in for the rest of the month. It looks like the controllers sold out as well. Can't say I am surprised by that.

No big deal to me. I don't really plan on playing the games in docked mode anyways. 

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

No big deal to me. I don't really plan on playing the games in docked mode anyways. 

I mostly want them to use on my PC personally. But the NES ones sold out when they first came out as well. Just a waiting game on when they restock.

OH THANK THE GODDESS, I finally found Korok Forest and can now extend my storage whenever I need to in Zelda: Breath of the Wild! Man, I’m glad I decided to just head north like that Hetsu Korok was planning to when I found him again!

I’m also surprised I found the Master Sword. I figured it wouldn’t appear in the game until you completed the four Divine Beasts, sort of as a reward for completing them. I think I’ll hold off on trying to pull the sword from the pedestal until I have a few more hearts/Divine Beasts under my belt, but I’m glad I now know where it is!

Didn’t play the game much, but I’m hoping today I’ll get a good bit of progress in. I end up so tired after work that I’d rather zone out and play something like Smash Bros. Ultimate. When I can sit down and relax for the day without having to worry about work or errands, a game like Breath of the Wild is the ticket. I’m still undecided where I’ll head off to next, but I’m thinking Death Mountain since that’s the closest next big location I can get to.

I've just kind of been bouncing between a few things while I wait for Ni no Kuni. Dragon Warrior Monsters seems like a much bigger time commitment than I thought so I've been playing Runescape as well. Popped in Dragon Warrior 3 on NES last night since I needed a little pick me up from the day. TGIF is gonna have a whole different meaning this week.

• Like 1

Normally I wouldn’t complain about something like this, but I’m really not a fan of the English voice acting in Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I mean, it’s cool Sean Chiplock is in the game, but honestly everyone just sounds really bland and/or awkward. Mipha’s voice was really bad, and The King of Hyrule’s voice really didn’t fit him either. I’m also hit and miss with Zelda; why she has a random British accent is beyond me.

I guess what brought this on was when I met the Great Deku Tree earlier today. I was pretty underwhelmed with the voice choice/actor’s portrayal of the character. I’ve always imagined the Deku Tree had a loud, kind, and old sounding voice, something I’ve thought of in games like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Breath’s voice...yeah, no.

I was hoping the voice acting would actually be something I’d like after it was revealed VA was going to be in the game, but frankly I’m not impressed. I was skeptical when it was revealed at E3 one year the game would be fully voiced, but I figured it wasn’t fair to judge before I played the game for myself. Now that I have played it, i really wish there was a Hylian voice/grunt speak option, kind of like what Mario Odyssey had for the cutscenes you couldn’t control the text in. Bowser “speaking,” in those cutscenes was totally fine.  

I hate to be negative on what may be a minor thing in the grand scheme of Breath of the Wild, but...well, I just don’t like it. Hopefully Breath of the Wild 2 will have a no voice or Hylian-esque voice option. Either that or I’m just going to swap the spoken language to something else right away.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Normally I wouldn’t complain about something like this, but I’m really not a fan of the English voice acting in Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I mean, it’s cool Sean Chiplock is in the game, but honestly everyone just sounds really bland and/or awkward. Mipha’s voice was really bad, and The King of Hyrule’s voice really didn’t fit him either. I’m also hit and miss with Zelda; why she has a random British accent is beyond me.
I guess what brought this on was when I met the Great Deku Tree earlier today. I was pretty underwhelmed with the voice choice/actor’s portrayal of the character. I’ve always imagined the Deku Tree had a loud, kind, and old sounding voice, something I’ve thought of in games like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Breath’s voice...yeah, no.
I was hoping the voice acting would actually be something I’d like after it was revealed VA was going to be in the game, but frankly I’m not impressed. I was skeptical when it was revealed at E3 one year the game would be fully voiced, but I figured it wasn’t fair to judge before I played the game for myself. Now that I have played it, i really wish there was a Hylian voice/grunt speak option, kind of like what Mario Odyssey had for the cutscenes you couldn’t control the text in. Bowser “speaking,” in those cutscenes was totally fine.  
I hate to be negative on what may be a minor thing in the grand scheme of Breath of the Wild, but...well, I just don’t like it. Hopefully Breath of the Wild 2 will have a no voice or Hylian-esque voice option. Either that or I’m just going to swap the spoken language to something else right away.
Some of the VA was good. Some of it was terrible. The Goron kid in particular, I thought, was ill-fitting.

I liked the sound of Zelda's voice and there were plenty of lines that were well-delivered by her, but there were also some lines that were bad and sounded as though an amateur was voicing her.

Anyway, I finished up my 100% run of Spyro the Dragon in the reifnited trilogy last night. I made the mistake I'd starting DQX around the same time I got Spyro and I ended up not playing a whole lot of Spyro until my free 20 days were up. I'm actually going into withdrawals for DQX right now but I don't want to subscribe for a month with Link's Awakening and DQXIS just around the corner. I finally understand all the "World of Warcrack" jokes now...this is the first time I've ever been addicted to an MMO.

Anyway, back to Spyro. It's funny because that game is both easier than I remember and harder. I'm convinced that Hell is just a room where Satan hands you a controller and tells you to play the flying levels from Spyro 1 for all eternity. The rest of the game is super easy, especially the end fight against Gnasty Gnorc. But I think that's the game's charm. Its easily beatable for children which is probably why I loved the game so much as a kid.

The soundtrack I find, while almost identical to Stewart Copeland's original score, is a little more subtle than the original tracks. I kinda perfer the original areangements though I admit it is often difficult to tell the two apart.

The map option is nice as it's something that 3D platformers of the era didn't have that is pretty much a requirement in 3D worlds today. Even though I know the game worlds very well, playing them without a map just makes the game annoying and not necessarily more challenging.

The language selection option is pretty cool too, as someome learning Polish. Though I wish it didn't restart the level every time you changed the language.

Which reminds me, the load times in this game are ABYSMAL. Maybe it's just the Switch version but I have to have a magazine nearby when booting up this game.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:50 AM, AustNerevar said:

Which reminds me, the load times in this game are ABYSMAL. Maybe it's just the Switch version but I have to have a magazine nearby when booting up this game.

Load times are ok on the PS4 version. Main thing that took the longest to load was when you selected one of the three games. Loading some levels took longer than others too, but never anything that was borderline terrible. I wondered if the Switch version would have longer loading times; kind of a bummer it does. I was hoping it would be quicker thanks to the cartridge versus disc of the PS4 version.

Since some of you guys have played Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I’ll ask this here: how worth it is the DLC for all the content in both packs? I don’t plan to buy it any time soon, but after playing the game for nearly 50 hours and knowing of the DLC for almost 2 years now, I’m curious how others would rate it.

I’m also curious if stuff like Master Mode is it’s own save file, or does it delete your save file when you want to start the game in Master Mode. As far as I can tell, the game only has one save slot (not counting all the autosaves), or does it actually have a few save slots like Mario Odyssey does.

Load times are ok on the PS4 version. Main thing that took the longest to load was when you selected one of the three games. Loading some levels took longer than others too, but never anything that was borderline terrible. I wondered if the Switch version would have longer loading times; kind of a bummer it does. I was hoping it would be quicker thanks to the cartridge versus disc of the PS4 version.

Since some of you guys have played Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I’ll ask this here: how worth it is the DLC for all the content in both packs? I don’t plan to buy it any time soon, but after playing the game for nearly 50 hours and knowing of the DLC for almost 2 years now, I’m curious how others would rate it.
I’m also curious if stuff like Master Mode is it’s own save file, or does it delete your save file when you want to start the game in Master Mode. As far as I can tell, the game only has one save slot (not counting all the autosaves), or does it actually have a few save slots like Mario Odyssey does.
Master Mode has its own save file.

As for the DLC, the continuous ebemy challenge dungeon was really fun and the extra story cutscenes were interesting. But I can't say that the extra shrines it added to the game were all that unique.

You aren't missing out in a whole lot by not having the DLC but if you want the complete experience you should probably get it.

3 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Master Mode has its own save file.

As for the DLC, the continuous ebemy challenge dungeon was really fun and the extra story cutscenes were interesting. But I can't say that the extra shrines it added to the game were all that unique.

You aren't missing out in a whole lot by not having the DLC but if you want the complete experience you should probably get it.

I see. Would it be better to finish the game first before playing any of the DLC? I’m a long way off from beating the game, but if the DLC challenges are more geared towards end game I have no problem waiting before I buy the DLC.

Anyway, progress report:

1. Got to the Akkala Tech Lab and started the furnace there. Made a few of those insta-kill arrows for Guardians and then flew across the ocean to the giant maze in the northeast corner of the map. The dungeon crawling-esque experience in the maze about made me turn on some of my Etrian Odyssey music on my iPod @Plattym3!

2. Found the monster part salesman at Skull Lake. Ended up running into his shop outside of Zora’s Domain before I quit for the night and managed to buy the two monster masks he had available. I wonder how well they will actually work, but with how goofy they look I may try and wear one during an important cutscene just for shits and giggles. That was always funny when it accidentally happened in the Dark Souls games.

3. Found the Great Fairy Fountain in the Akkala region and upgraded a bunch of my clothes and armor. I was actually really close to finding and activating it a few weeks ago, but I ended up flying off to the north of the Dah Hesho shrine to the center island in the lake rather than going just a bit further east to find the fountain. I thought I had gone to the east of that shrine, but nope; when I was quickly looking for help online one source mentioned searching the Akkala region around that shrine. Felt kind of dumb I totally missed it, but now I have access to level 2 upgrades at the fountains and now have somewhat of an idea where the other two are.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 1:40 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I see. Would it be better to finish the game first before playing any of the DLC? I’m a long way off from beating the game, but if the DLC challenges are more geared towards end game I have no problem waiting before I buy the DLC.

The trials of the first DLC pack open up after you get the master sword I believe. I personally haven't touched it yet but it is apparently pretty tough, so it might be best to wait until later to tackle it. The DLC from the 2nd pack opens up after you do the 4 dungeons. Since a lot of the DLC favors end game, it might be best to see how you feel about buying the DLC when you get towards the end. Unless you care about the quality of life stuff included in the DLC that much.

44 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

The trials of the first DLC pack open up after you get the master sword I believe. I personally haven't touched it yet but it is apparently pretty tough, so it might be best to wait until later to tackle it. The DLC from the 2nd pack opens up after you do the 4 dungeons. Since a lot of the DLC favors end game, it might be best to see how you feel about buying the DLC when you get towards the end. Unless you care about the quality of life stuff included in the DLC that much.

Interesting. Thank you for the feedback and information. If both are challenging I’ll hold off until I’m near the end of the game/beat the game. I’m in no rush to get either pack since I’m loving the game as is already, though the only thing that WOULD get me to buy it sooner is the Korok Mask.

That aside, I’m good with waiting. This game has plenty of content already, and knowing that the Master Mode gets its own save file is a huge sigh of relief. So again, thank you (and you too, Aust!) for the feedback.

I actually made a good deal of progress in the game yesterday. I ended up climbing Death Mountain and am now at the start of the Divine Beast in Death Mountain’s Crater. The climb up the mountain, Goron City, and the other music in the area has been really good. The music while exploring Death Mountain is especially nice; it’s a very ambient take on the Death Mountain dungeon theme from the original Legend of Zelda, and it totally works considering where you are/the conditions of the area with the extreme heat.

I’m hoping to finish off the Divine Beast tonight and have 2 of the 4 freed from Calamity Ganon.

• Like 1

Welp. Ni no Kuni didn't come in this weekend but that's okay I had plenty of stuff to do for our new house. Played some more Runescape in my free time.

• Like 1

Boom! Divine Beast Vah Rudalia finished and Daruk’s Protection earned! This spirit gift will be super helpful against fights with Lynels. Now it’s time to explore all of Death Mountain and see what I can find!

45 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Boom! Divine Beast Vah Rudalia finished and Daruk’s Protection earned! This spirit gift will be super helpful against fights with Lynels. Now it’s time to explore all of Death Mountain and see what I can find!

Nice. Daruk's Protection comes in pretty handy, frequently.

While playing Breath of the Wild I tried scanning in a few Zelda related amiibo. I knew about Wolf Link joining you if you used his amiibo, but I wasn’t expecting freaking Epona to show up when I scanned my Smash Bros Link amiibo! Man, that was unexpected. I liked how the game was like “You can’t rename that horse! She’s a horse if legend!” I was reminded of the time I replayed Twilight Princess and renamed Epona to “DONKEY!” just because.

I’ve heard you can get past Link costumes by using certain amiibo, but so far no new costumes. It’s probably really random, but whatever. I change Link’s equipment a lot, so I probably wouldn’t leave them on for long anyway. The Sheikah Gear from Kakariko Village is easily my favorite equipment in the game since it lets you sneak around, which is great for catching enemies off guard and for gathering bugs, lizards and whatnot.

Edit: Okay, so two weird glitches have happened today while playing, one of which just happened. First one was this morning where, after stopping at a stable to swap out my horse bridle and saddle, Link suddenly went into the ground while talking to the stable lady, “sitting,” like he was still on the horse since I spoke to the stable lady while on horseback. Soon as the conversation ended he popped right out of the earth like nothing weird happened!

Second one was just now. Headed to Hateno Village to look for the shrine in the eastern mountains. Made it to the three pine trees, went a ways from them...and then at 8:30 AM (in game time) the Bloodmoon event suddenly happened! I reset the save and climbed back up there, and the event didn’t happen again.

I’m so confused why those glitches happened, especially the second one. Either the game is like “Okay, he’s been messing around long enough, get to the next Divine Beast,” or Calamity Ganon is starting to mess with Link’s adventure. I’m finding these things funny, but what the hell were those two glitches about and why did they happen?!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Obviously not playing it yet but Jedi Fallen Order dropped a new trailer today. Can't wait to pick this game up on launch day instead of Pokémon.

Been playing Splatoon 2 and Smash Ultimate and not much else. Hard to resist the urge on starting another file on Fire Emblem right now.

Picked up DQ 1-3 last night and gave 1 & 3 a quick play. I like the hand drawn enemies and can't wait to play 3 again.

• Like 1