mma0701

what are you playing?

On 8/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, GrandAlchemist said:

Finally getting around to playing Dragon Quest Heroes. About 3 hours in. So far? Enjoyable.

YES!

I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had with both DQ Heroes games. 

And goodness, all the character nostalgia is just amazing. 

14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle has become my new go-to game after work. I’ve gotten through all the character combo trials to see who can do what, and I’m surprised that characters are still pretty varied. You still have grapplers, zoners, rush down, and other character types. I figured the easier button format would have hindered that somewhat. The combo game is starting to click with me now and I’m finding “A-ha!” moments are more frequent in battles for what can connect and what can lead into a super, etc. etc. It’s a fun feeling to catch that stuff as you play.

So far I’ve finished off three of the Episode modes, or the Story mode for each franchise. Only one left is the RWBY one, and then to go back and try to 100% the Blazblue story. They aren’t very long, maybe an hour each, but it’s cool to see the characters interact naturally with each other and discuss the world of the game and the worlds they originate from. The endings for the Persona 4 Arena and Undernight stories were....interesting, so I’m hoping the 2.0 update will have a continuation of their plots to tie into what happened and if things get sorted out.

Also, for me knowing nothing about the character or her franchise, Heart Aino from Heart Arcana has been one of my favorite characters to play as thus far. She’s very cheesy with her dialogue and has a rush down styled move set, and her theme song is pretty good too. She’s also voiced by the same woman who did the voice of Laxia von Roswell in Ys VIII, and Elise Schwarzer in the Trails of Cold Steel games. Makes sense why Heart’s voice sounded familiar! Haha

It’s a shame I’ve barely touched Zelda Breath of the Wild since I got it, but honestly I want to play that game on the big screen much like I did with Mario Odyssey. But because my TV is dead and I don’t know when I can get a new one, I’m out of luck on that for the time being. I may just have to do the required stuff and see if that gets me motivated to keep going or something when it comes to this portable only mode I’m stuck in.

I REALLY need to get around getting Cross Tag. Had a lot of fun playing it, but I really need to get it for myself. Typically I don't care much for tag fighters, but EVO got me really anxious to playing it.

10 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I REALLY need to get around getting Cross Tag. Had a lot of fun playing it, but I really need to get it for myself. Typically I don't care much for tag fighters, but EVO got me really anxious to playing it.

Its been fun, but get it on sale if you can.

I enjoy Tag Battle fighters. Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars was the first more traditional fighting game I got into, and got me to try more fighting games. Found others that I really enjoy like Street Fighter III: Third Strike and Guilty Gear. But tag games like TvsC, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and now Blazblue Cross have been the ones I have the most fun with, both by myself and with friends.

I’m also a big fan of the King of Fighters series. It’s been a great series to play and watch over the years.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I am inexorably making my way through my old library of incomplete games, which I am resolved to complete before getting anything new, which is the reason why I haven't gotten DQXI yet (I know, shame on me).

I've knocked out Pokemon Black, Pokemon Silver, and (finally) Paper Mario Sticker Star over the past few months, and I'm currently working on Mario & Luigi Dream Team, which I never finished.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

I'm currently working on Mario & Luigi Dream Team, which I never finished.

I'm going to get to Superstar Saga on 3DS pretty soon here. I needed to take an RPG break after playing so many Dragon Quest games in a row. I played a few action games and I think I'm ready to get back into the turn based genre.

Well I got soft locked in West of Loathing and since there's  one save slot per character I'm out. Onto Superstar Saga.

36 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Well I got soft locked in West of Loathing and since there's  one save slot per character I'm out. Onto Superstar Saga.

Hooray! Hope you enjoy it! It’s one of my favorite RPGs/Mario games. The naming scheme of all the areas in the Beanbean Kingdom will make you laugh, chuckle, and woohoo!

(Hopefully someone gets what I mean by that joke.

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hooray! Hope you enjoy it! It’s one of my favorite RPGs/Mario games. The naming scheme of all the areas in the Beanbean Kingdom will make you laugh, chuckle, and woohoo!

(Hopefully someone gets what I mean by that joke.

Wow I love it. I'm sick of games that have hours of tutorials and long winded story dumps. The game is so well paced and combat is fun, if a little repetitive. I wasn't sure about the art style when comparing it to the GBA version but it runs smooth as butter and the graphics look awesome on 3DS XL screen as opposed to a computer moniter which I was comparing them on.

6 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Wow I love it. I'm sick of games that have hours of tutorials and long winded story dumps. The game is so well paced and combat is fun, if a little repetitive. I wasn't sure about the art style when comparing it to the GBA version but it runs smooth as butter and the graphics look awesome on 3DS XL screen as opposed to a computer moniter which I was comparing them on.

If you play some of the later games in the series, namely the 3DS entries like Dream Team and Paper Jam, you’ll appreciate the fun simplicity of the first few games. Much as I like the Mario & Luigi RPGs, some of the later games have attacks that go on for too long for the Bros and the enemies, and in Dream Team’s case you have gyro controls that come into play you can’t turn off. Thankfully that wasn’t a problem in Paper Jam.

Anyway, I’m glad you’re liking the game! It’s a great little RPG that’s just the right length and is fun to play.

While relaxing this evening I managed to finish off all the story modes 100% in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle. The Blazblue story can’t be 100% until you see the other three, but it was cool to see all the characters/worlds join forces in the true ending of the Blazblue ending. Unfortunately defeating the final boss had a pretty anti-climatic ending before the credits rolled, which is a real shame because I was hoping despite things going back to normal you’d get to see something a little more grand. Ah well, still was fun seeing how things turned out for all the worlds/characters, and I hope we’ll see the same for the other worlds being added (and have been added) when the 2.0 update hits.

As for Breath of the Wild, I’ve been slowly still working my way through it. Going to Kakariko was a wise choice, because it got me interested in playing again. I think I’m just going to focus on going to the recommended areas and do any side exploring on my way to those points. That way I can have my goal but still go off the beaten path and discover any Koroks, treasure chests, surprises, and so forth. I’m on the way to Haheto Village (or whatever it’s callled) to figure out how to improve the Sheikah Slate.

Kind of gave up on Superstar Saga. I'm at the part where Peach arrives on the island but it's just gotten boring to me. I played Rocket Slime over the weekend and am enjoying it. I can totally see getting all 100 slimes. The last part I was on was where I had to do 3 tank battles in a row so that got a little repetitive but normally those are broken up so they're a delight when they do happen.

11 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Kind of gave up on Superstar Saga. I'm at the part where Peach arrives on the island but it's just gotten boring to me. I played Rocket Slime over the weekend and am enjoying it. I can totally see getting all 100 slimes. The last part I was on was where I had to do 3 tank battles in a row so that got a little repetitive but normally those are broken up so they're a delight when they do happen.

Arrives on the island? You mean when she arrives at Beanbean Airport? The Beanbean Kingdom isn’t an island nation. It has island territories like Gwarhar Lagoon and Joke’s End when you go out east into the Oho Ocean though.

1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Arrives on the island? You mean when she arrives at Beanbean Airport? The Beanbean Kingdom isn’t an island nation. It has island territories like Gwarhar Lagoon and Joke’s End when you go out east into the Oho Ocean though.

Yeah that. I'm headed to the fungus-named town, I can't remember the name. 

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Yeah that. I'm headed to the fungus-named town, I can't remember the name. 

Oh yeah, Little Fungitown. That’s where you get to have another solo Luigi adventure. It’s pretty funny how the get him to go off and do that.

SNES games went live on Switch last night so I played a bit of Super Mario World. I have a couple SNES games on 3DS but having them on Switch just feels better. Once they put EarthBound on it I feel like the service will have reached it's best value. I feel like I'll finish up Rocket Slime and play SNES games until Ni no Kuni comes out on the 20th.

Smash has taken over again as what I’m playing. I’m LOVING all the Banjo-Kazooie related content in the game, not to mention how Banjo-Kazooie play/animate. Of all the DLC characters thus far, I really feel like the bear and the bird have gotten the best treatment. Great color schemes with references to other characters, the music selection is top notch choices/remixes (though I do have to question why Lord Woo Fak Fak’s theme was chosen over one of Gruntilda’s), Spiral Mountain looks great as do the other Banjo characters, and the victory animations...man, everything is perfect. The Smash team did an excellent job, and it’s so nice to see the duo on a Nintendo system again.

I can tell you, if little kid me could see this since he played the Banjo games all the time, he would be flipping out. I poured over every bit of information/pictures of Banjo-Tooie when it was on the way when I was little, so having Banjo & Kazooie in Smash is like a dream come true.

I tried out the SNES games last night and had a lot of fun with it. Spent a lot of time playing Pilotwings and being reminded that I am really bad at it. But the best part of the SNES release? PUYO PUYO 2! I played it for a good three hours last night. It was really surprising to have a game like that released. Hopefully Nintendo will be open up to bringing more Japan exclusives over to the service. Just so damn happy that it got released. I can play Puyo for hours and never get sick of it.

I am thinking about picking up those SNES controllers as well. If they work well for PC I might pick one up since I play a lot of emulated SNES games.

Edited by Twinkie

2 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I am thinking about picking up those SNES controllers as well. If they work well for PC I might pick one up since I play a lot of emulated SNES games.

If you see them go live to purchase lemme know. I've been keeping an eye for them as well and will let you know if I see them go up.

9 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

If you see them go live to purchase lemme know. I've been keeping an eye for them as well and will let you know if I see them go up.

Will do. I actually have a page tracker going for it right now.

Well, so much for playing Smash much on my day off. I ended up putting Breath of the Wild back into my Switch and proceeded to play the game for a good 5 hours today. I find it so weird how I went from playing it an half hour to 45 minutes at most when I tried to make myself play it, yet on my holiday time day off I just sat and played it like it was nothing and wanted to keep playing. I....god, I don’t know why I have that happen with certain games.

Whatever, the point is that I finally made some genuine progress and played Zelda Breath of the Wild on day 1 of my 3 day weekend. I’ve been exploring the southeast parts of Hyrule and am currently in Zora’s Domain. I’ve found a number of Koroks seeds while exploring and I really need to find where I can use more of these things for item space, but I’m sure I’ll come across it sooner or later. It’s been fun finding items and locations on my own, so at some point I’ll find the location the big Korok told me about.

Anyway, I plan to help out the Zora’s with their problem now that I’m here and after I’ve stocked up on a few things, so I guess the Zoras are getting help with their Divine Beast problem courtesy of ol’ Linny!

I beat Super Mario World this morning and then beat Rocket Slime this afternoon. Both pretty good games, bless the rewind feature on the SNES Switch app. Played a little bit of Super Metroid tonight and I think I'll play that then Link to the Past while I wait for Ni no Kuni.

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

I took a small break from playing Trials of Mana to try out the Daemon X Machina demo. I played the prototype demo and wasn't impressed. The updates and changes to the current demo didn't change it.

The sound design on this game is god awful. The sound of the guns is fine. But bullets don't make any sound when they hit anything. Gliding around on the ground really doesn't make a satisfying noise either. In the end, it feels like I am gliding on nothing and shooting a gun at wet paper. Sound design is really important with mech games. You want to FEEL like your in a mech. But it is just hard to get myself into the game because it just doesn't sound right. Compared to other mech games where your shots feel powerful and impactful.

The story is boring. The dialogue itself is very weak. The characters themselves are shallow as well. Very annoying voice lines repeated in missions. The VA is either "okay" or just terrible. But with the terrible dialogue, and shallow characters I have very little hope that the story will turn out interesting. The characters on this game are on par of a party you would find in a terrible RPG Maker game.

The enemy design is awful as well.

Sorry if I come off as really upset over it. I REALLY wanted a good mech game on the Switch. Especially since I haven't played one in several years at this point. But this game has generated so much hype that I just don't understand what people see in this game. If anyone here who liked the demo let me know. Because I really don't understand what makes this game so great compared to Armored Core.

Mechwarrior 5 isn't far off at least. Even if it is a "simulator".

Edited by Twinkie

Last night I finished off Vah Ruta in Breath of the Wild and obtained Mipha’s Grace! That’s one of the four Divine Beasts dealt with. I’m not sure where I’ll head next. Going to Death Mountain is tempting, but I may just keep exploring. I really need to find out where I can use the Korok Seeds, and since the big Korok said you have to follow Hylia River (at least I THINK that is what he said) I’m going to start from Lake Hylia and head north along the river bank. I do remember him saying the Koroks live in a big forest, so that should help if I don’t end up activating the Sheikah Tower for the region the forest is in.

Also, i found out Sean Chiplock is the voice of the Rito Champion and voices another NPC. It’s cool to see him go from Rean Schwarzer in Trails of Cold Steel to a big game like Breath of the Wild. That was cool to find out about.

36 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Last night I finished off Vah Ruta in Breath of the Wild and obtained Mipha’s Grace! That’s one of the four Divine Beasts dealt with. I’m not sure where I’ll head next. Going to Death Mountain is tempting, but I may just keep exploring. I really need to find out where I can use the Korok Seeds, and since the big Korok said you have to follow Hylia River (at least I THINK that is what he said) I’m going to start from Lake Hylia and head north along the river bank. I do remember him saying the Koroks live in a big forest, so that should help if I don’t end up activating the Sheikah Tower for the region the forest is in.

Also, i found out Sean Chiplock is the voice of the Rito Champion and voices another NPC. It’s cool to see him go from Rean Schwarzer in Trails of Cold Steel to a big game like Breath of the Wild. That was cool to find out about.

I would recommend the Rito beast next since the ability you get it awesome for travel.

11 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I would recommend the Rito beast next since the ability you get it awesome for travel.

In that case I’ll go to the Gerudo people! That’ll teach you for making a suggestion!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!

Random adventure story from BotW:

While exploring the country between Zora’s Domain and Kakariko Village, I came across the shrine that required using a buck to open the gate. Well, I was surprised I WAS able to ride a buck and took a total chance at it being the answer, and once I completed the shrine, I had an idea: let’s ride another buck to a horse stable and make it a new mount!

So I found another, rode it to the stable south of Kakariko, get to the guy behind the counter...and he tells me “We can’t register that! It’s for horses only!!!” Well, maybe I WANT to have a buck as a trusty steed, game! Maybe I want to pretend Link is Ashitaka from the movie Princess Mononoke!

0/10, worst Zelda game, totally ruined the immersion. Princess Mononoke fans need look elsewhere.

Joking aside, I found it hilarious the guys at the stable freaked out about me bringing a buck to try and register as a new mount. I was hoping the game would actually let me do that if more so for a joke option, but no dice.