mma0701

what are you playing?

22 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

*Super Mario Odyssey - Finally, FINALLY beat the final challenge in Super Mario Odyssey! The final portion was easily the most stressful since you have to completely restart if you fall, but thankfully after a few tries I finally nailed it, finished off the challenge, and collected every Power Moon! After a visit to one of the shops I reached 999 moons and got to enjoy the reward for that, and had a rematch with the stronger version of the final Bowser fight.

The final challenge was a really nice touch at the end of the game. I keep looking at my copy of Odyssey every so often and keep getting the urge to replay it. Though I really shouldn't since I have so many games on my backlog that will plague me for the rest of my life.

A bit late, but this year's EVO was pretty great. Words can't described on hyped up I am for Guilty Gear 2020. Started playing Tekken 7 again and loving it. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is going pretty well. Not making as much progress as I want but the game is really great so far.

9 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Words can't described on hyped up I am for Guilty Gear 2020.

I feel you on that! I’m excited for more Guilty Gear goodness. I only hope we’ll see Anji back as a playable character, as well as Baiken being apart of the starting roster. Anji is one of my favorites to play as along with Faust and Potemkin, and I was really bummed he wasn’t in any of the Xrd games. As for Baiken, I’m glad they added her to Rev. 2, but man, it took way too long for her to appear in the Xrd games.

14 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I feel you on that! I’m excited for more Guilty Gear goodness. I only hope we’ll see Anji back as a playable character, as well as Baiken being apart of the starting roster. Anji is one of my favorites to play as along with Faust and Potemkin, and I was really bummed he wasn’t in any of the Xrd games. As for Baiken, I’m glad they added her to Rev. 2, but man, it took way too long for her to appear in the Xrd games.

I loved playing Baiken. Though my favorite character would have to be Jack-O'. If she makes a return then I will be content. Then again I enjoy playing a lot of characters so I won't be too picky on who will be in the initial release.

25 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I loved playing Baiken. Though my favorite character would have to be Jack-O'. If she makes a return then I will be content. Then again I enjoy playing a lot of characters so I won't be too picky on who will be in the initial release.

I found Jack O to be a little hard to play as. I liked the character and watching high level play, but she’s just one I could never seem to click with when I tried playing as her.

I also hope Answer comes back. He was a fun addition to Rev. 2, and him being the only guy who really supported Chipp was funny.

My usual characters are Sol, Faust (my absolute favorite Guilty Gear character to play as), Potemkin, Chipp, Kliff, Anji, Baiken, and Answer.

Posted (edited)

Before the EVO 2019 related sale ended on the eshop, I ended up buying Blazblue Cross Tag Battle. I originally wanted the game but wasn’t a fan of the DLC shenanigans, so I originally skipped on it. However, with the eshop sale it was $14, so I was up for finally getting it. The character DLC was also for sale, so with that it came to $30, which is what it would have cost for a physical copy. The eshop said it included vol. 1 through 7, but the details said it only included 1-6....but I took a chance and it did end up being vol. 1-7, so go figure.

I only recognize the Blazblue and Persona characters, but not knowing everyone didn’t stop me from enjoying games like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom a lot. So far I’m liking the game. It’s weird there’s no arcade mode so I can play through with different characters, but survival mode has made a good substitute for the time being. Really I just prefer messing around in fighting games to figure out team combos or what works. It’s a pretty simplified control scheme kind of game, but hey, as long as it’s fun to play that’s all I care about.

I’m definitely going to focus on Breath of the Wild this weekend though. I have to work a few hours on Saturday, but I plan to continue to explore like crazy and head for Kakariko Village.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I found Jack O to be a little hard to play as. I liked the character and watching high level play, but she’s just one I could never seem to click with when I tried playing as her.

She is a bit hard to play. I just enjoy her simply because I like really gimmicky characters and she has really good art design. Even though I play her a lot, doesn't mean I am good with her though lol

Faust is just so out there as a character that I can't help not enjoy playing him from time to time. I pretty much consider him to be the "face" of Guilty Gear at this point.

17 hours ago, Twinkie said:

She is a bit hard to play. I just enjoy her simply because I like really gimmicky characters and she has really good art design. Even though I play her a lot, doesn't mean I am good with her though lol

Faust is just so out there as a character that I can't help not enjoy playing him from time to time. I pretty much consider him to be the "face" of Guilty Gear at this point.

I get it. I’m that way with Answer. I have a hell of a time doing some of his stuff on a controller, but he’s fun and flashy to play as. Same thing with Carl Clover in Blazblue. I’m not the best, but I can do a few combos and mix up set-ups comfortably enough.

I tend to gravitate towards some of the more oddball and/or big body characters in fighting games. Faust in Guilty Gear, Q in Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Big Band in Skullgirls, Raiden and Hwa Jai in King of Fighters XIII (I could list others from the series, but we’ll stick with XIII for now), Mr. Game & Watch in the Smash Bros. series...honestly I just find the more out there characters to be the most fun. I’m looking forward to the craziness of Blitztank being in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle in the future. That character is definitely going to be one I play as a lot just because of how ridiculous but awesome it is.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I tend to gravitate towards some of the more oddball and/or big body characters in fighting games. Faust in Guilty Gear, Q in Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Big Band in Skullgirls, Raiden and Hwa Jai in King of Fighters XIII (I could list others from the series, but we’ll stick with XIII for now), Mr. Game & Watch in the Smash Bros. series...honestly I just find the more out there characters to be the most fun. I’m looking forward to the craziness of Blitztank being in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle in the future. That character is definitely going to be one I play as a lot just because of how ridiculous but awesome it is.

Mr. Game & Watch is one of my off characters I do like to play. I main ROB for the most part, but Game & Watch's RNG can be fun on its own at times. I really can't play big characters. Outside of Smash Bros, the only large character I could really have fun playing was Tager from BlazBlue. If the character doesn't have a weird gimmick, I usually pick chargers. Or at least characters with a couple charge moves. Such as M. Bison, Balrog, Leo Whitefang, and May. I heard Big Band was a charge character as well, but I never got around to trying our Skullgirls that much.

I just beat Dragon Quest VI. I'm gonna take a nice long break from JRPGs until September for Ni no Kuni and XI-S. Gonna finish up Minish Cap and play Prey. Once I get one of those done I'll give Fantasy Life another try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

Mr. Game & Watch is one of my off characters I do like to play. I main ROB for the most part, but Game & Watch's RNG can be fun on its own at times. I really can't play big characters. Outside of Smash Bros, the only large character I could really have fun playing was Tager from BlazBlue. If the character doesn't have a weird gimmick, I usually pick chargers. Or at least characters with a couple charge moves. Such as M. Bison, Balrog, Leo Whitefang, and May. I heard Big Band was a charge character as well, but I never got around to trying our Skullgirls that much.

I mained solo Big Band in Skullgirls, and he only has two charge moves: one for punch buttons where he does a charge punch, one for kicks where he attempts to command grab the opponent. Otherwise he uses a dragon punch motion for his uppercut and quarter circle backs for his ground and air special moves.

Big bodies have been a go to for me in fighting games. Characters like Potemkin, Hakan in Street Fighter IV, Tager, King K. Rool in Smash (SOOO glad he finally was added as I’m a big fan of Donkey Kong games), Antonov, Raiden, Tizoc and others from SNK...they are just a go to for me. Same goes for outside of fighting games too. In Etrian Odyssey games I usually have one “big guy” portrait for my main party, usually as the meat shield or muscle of the party. I think it goes back to when I was a kid and would either pick Luigi or Wario in Mario games. To this day I will usually go with Wario when possible, so I’m sure it’s because of the greedy bugger.

17 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I mained solo Big Band in Skullgirls, and he only has two charge moves: one for punch buttons where he does a charge punch, one for kicks where he attempts to command grab the opponent. Otherwise he uses a dragon punch motion for his uppercut and quarter circle backs for his ground and air special moves.

Big bodies have been a go to for me in fighting games. Characters like Potemkin, Hakan in Street Fighter IV, Tager, King K. Rool in Smash (SOOO glad he finally was added as I’m a big fan of Donkey Kong games), Antonov, Raiden, Tizoc and others from SNK...they are just a go to for me. Same goes for outside of fighting games too. In Etrian Odyssey games I usually have one “big guy” portrait for my main party, usually as the meat shield or muscle of the party. I think it goes back to when I was a kid and would either pick Luigi or Wario in Mario games. To this day I will usually go with Wario when possible, so I’m sure it’s because of the greedy bugger.

Big bodies in Smash Ultimate are pretty good. I did main KKR when the game was released. Bowser and Ganondorf are pretty good when it comes to heavies. Considering the history of heavy characters in Smash, it is pretty nice to see them getting played. I have been seeing a lot of Ganondorf being played at the locals I go to. Some of the most hype matches I have watched had a Ganondorf main. Wario is pretty fun with his bike shenanigans. Outside of Smash though, I really don't like playing in fighting games.

In my current playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses my favorite unit is heavy armored knight who just punches things. Just something is so satisfying of walking up to an enemy and just hitting them hard. I typically favor tank heavy builds in most games I play.

4 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Big bodies in Smash Ultimate are pretty good. I did main KKR when the game was released. Bowser and Ganondorf are pretty good when it comes to heavies. Considering the history of heavy characters in Smash, it is pretty nice to see them getting played. I have been seeing a lot of Ganondorf being played at the locals I go to. Some of the most hype matches I have watched had a Ganondorf main. Wario is pretty fun with his bike shenanigans. Outside of Smash though, I really don't like playing in fighting games.

In my current playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses my favorite unit is heavy armored knight who just punches things. Just something is so satisfying of walking up to an enemy and just hitting them hard. I typically favor tank heavy builds in most games I play.

Sounds like we’re birds of a feather when it comes to characters, Twinkie. 😎👍

I managed to 3 star all the cups and speed classes in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I was bummed there were no unlockable characters while playing, but I was pleasantly surprised Gold Mario popped up once I finished off the Super Bell Cup on 200cc. I know it’s just a different colored Metal Mario, but it was a nice little surprise. Looks like all I need to go for now are the gold tires and gold glider from Time Trials and collecting coins respectively. I’ve had a lot of fun with Mario Kart 8 again thanks to Deluxe, and I’m sure I’ll get those last few Kart parts unlocked.

With the cups done, NOW I feel like I can focus on Breath of the Wild a lot more. I did play some over the weekend, but honestly I was so tired over the weekend I barely played it all that much and just explored a small section of the new area I got to.

Hopefully I can start playing it more and more, namely making progress bit by bit. I’d be fine with that. Worked for Super Mario Odyssey.

• Like 1

Not that I'm playing it but previews for the Genisis Mini seem to be hitting today. I've never held a Genesis controller or even seen the console in person. How are the games? The box arts look pretty cool but that's all I have to go off.

http://genesismini.sega.com/

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Not that I'm playing it but previews for the Genisis Mini seem to be hitting today. I've never held a Genesis controller or even seen the console in person. How are the games? The box arts look pretty cool but that's all I have to go off.

http://genesismini.sega.com/

I didn’t grow up on the Genesis, but I want to check out the Mini Genesis. My dad had one and like 2 games for it when I was a kid though I never played it and stuck to the N64, and I’ve been wanting to check out the Genesis library. If it’s a quality mini console like the NES and SNES Mini, I’d be down for trying to get one.

9 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I didn’t grow up on the Genesis, but I want to check out the Mini Genesis. My dad had one and like 2 games for it when I was a kid though I never played it and stuck to the N64, and I’ve been wanting to check out the Genesis library. If it’s a quality mini console like the NES and SNES Mini, I’d be down for trying to get one.

I bet you'll be successful since Sega will most likely keep up with demand. I checked on Gamestop and you can still preorder it.

23 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I bet you'll be successful since Sega will most likely keep up with demand. I checked on Gamestop and you can still preorder it.

It looks like the system is pretty good (apart from this guy ending up with a broken controller). I may just have to pre-order one.

• Like 1

I got a Smash Ultimate tournament this weekend. It was kinda dropped on me suddenly but I can't say no to a good time. I want to go with Hero but I haven't given him enough time to train so I am probably going to stick with King K. Rool one last time. Ridley's buff got my friend picking him up again, so it is going to be pretty interesting to see it this weekend. Apparently there is a damn good Ganon player who will be showing up as well. So I have been spending the last two days practicing.

I got a Smash Ultimate tournament this weekend. It was kinda dropped on me suddenly but I can't say no to a good time. I want to go with Hero but I haven't given him enough time to train so I am probably going to stick with King K. Rool one last time. Ridley's buff got my friend picking him up again, so it is going to be pretty interesting to see it this weekend. Apparently there is a damn good Ganon player who will be showing up as well. So I have been spending the last two days practicing.
How'd you do?

Been alternating between a few different games lately

• Mario Odyssey
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
  • Smash Ultimate
  • Bayonetta 2

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

How'd you do?

I got absolutely destroyed. I survived the pools but ended up getting knocked out by two really good players. One of the players that knocked me out is room mates with one of the best Smash players in the state. I didn't stand a chance lol

On the bright side, he did compliment me for my King K. Rool play. So at least I had that going for me.

• Like 1

Finally getting around to playing Dragon Quest Heroes. About 3 hours in. So far? Enjoyable.

• Like 1

I beat Minish Cap a few days ago so I started up Fantasy Life. Slowly slogging through getting all the licenses then I'll proceed with the actual game. I wish they gave them to you at all once and you could level them as you like and chat with the masters when you needed to get further information about more advanced things.

• Like 1

I beat Minish Cap a few days ago so I started up Fantasy Life. Slowly slogging through getting all the licenses then I'll proceed with the actual game. I wish they gave them to you at all once and you could level them as you like and chat with the masters when you needed to get further information about more advanced things.
Probably my favorite 1-off game ever!
Finally getting around to playing Dragon Quest Heroes. About 3 hours in. So far? Enjoyable.
Great! Hope it keeps you entertained. I really enjoyed the series.

Posted (edited)

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle has become my new go-to game after work. I’ve gotten through all the character combo trials to see who can do what, and I’m surprised that characters are still pretty varied. You still have grapplers, zoners, rush down, and other character types. I figured the easier button format would have hindered that somewhat. The combo game is starting to click with me now and I’m finding “A-ha!” moments are more frequent in battles for what can connect and what can lead into a super, etc. etc. It’s a fun feeling to catch that stuff as you play.

So far I’ve finished off three of the Episode modes, or the Story mode for each franchise. Only one left is the RWBY one, and then to go back and try to 100% the Blazblue story. They aren’t very long, maybe an hour each, but it’s cool to see the characters interact naturally with each other and discuss the world of the game and the worlds they originate from. The endings for the Persona 4 Arena and Undernight stories were....interesting, so I’m hoping the 2.0 update will have a continuation of their plots to tie into what happened and if things get sorted out.

Also, for me knowing nothing about the character or her franchise, Heart Aino from Heart Arcana has been one of my favorite characters to play as thus far. She’s very cheesy with her dialogue and has a rush down styled move set, and her theme song is pretty good too. She’s also voiced by the same woman who did the voice of Laxia von Roswell in Ys VIII, and Elise Schwarzer in the Trails of Cold Steel games. Makes sense why Heart’s voice sounded familiar! Haha

It’s a shame I’ve barely touched Zelda Breath of the Wild since I got it, but honestly I want to play that game on the big screen much like I did with Mario Odyssey. But because my TV is dead and I don’t know when I can get a new one, I’m out of luck on that for the time being. I may just have to do the required stuff and see if that gets me motivated to keep going or something when it comes to this portable only mode I’m stuck in.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s a shame I’ve barely touched Zelda Breath of the Wild since I got it, but honestly I want to play that game on the big screen much like I did with Mario Odyssey. But because my TV is dead and I don’t know when I can get a new one, I’m out of luck on that for the time being. I may just have to do the required stuff and see if that gets me motivated to keep going or something when it comes to this portable only mode I’m stuck in.

Zelda is absolutely a game to be played on the TV. When it first released that's how I mainly played it and it was an added bonus that I could take it with me to D&D days or PAX.