Interesting, but depressing read.

Well, for DQVII (Well, and DQM too, to some extents), as others said, the amount of text is used. 

Now, if they go with the precedent standards, they wouold also have it to translate in the main european language (Italian, Spanish, Geraman, French at least), on top of the English one. And, say what you want abut their translation, they put a lot of works on it. 

They also seems to have others priorities (Naely Bravely Default..).

I have few hopes for the others. (None for Rocket Slimes), but it's far too soon  to worry about DQVII. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's my two cents.   This is a Jeremy article, and Mr. Parish has always been a snarky, dark, and has a pretty bleak track record of predictions that has landed him in a lot of trouble with reader

I actually deleted that most recent one, and until you can make a point without insulting people at the same time, I am going to continue to do it.

Wow, ignasia, that's a long post. I'll admit to just skimming through it (Except the paragraph where you addressed my post) because it's 1:30 am here.

I just don't understand why Hori etc. even bother with SQEX if they really could pull it off on their own. Unless it's a legal thing, they don't really need the company if they are as well off as you say, even in the current world economy. Hell, if they could ditch Square, I'd be fine with a couple of years of DQ dark age while they got everything "set up", as long as it wasn't a permanent thing. (Obviously only if they needed it - I'm not saying I want a dark age of DQ.)

I don't really know how the business side of it works, but it sure feels like square enix is dragging them down more at this point than pulling them up.

As per your interviews and search for answers on the real history of the Enix of America closing, which was obviously a shock to everyone getting the newsletter.  Kudos mate.  Sad there are no bites yet, but hopefully something of substance turns up.  I'd hate to learn that the newsletters covering DQ5 were just based on discussion of a possible release, and not an ongoing translation, but the truth would be nice.

Oh, it was ongoing. Dragon Warrior was thier flagship title and updates were steady. The newsletters were written by Rob, their customer service guy. He works for Microsoft nowadays. Pendy reached out to him for me, but I never heard back. Paul Handelman, president of the second incarnation of Enix also worked for the first. He said in an early interview with The Japan Times Online that "Enix stopped sending them over" and it's possible that he meant DQ VI. Not many folks from the old days have easy ways to get in touch with them, and some of the ones that do I feel contacting them in that manner would be too much of an invasion of privacy. I'm not kidding when I say I've reached out to just about everyone and have gotten nowhere. If folks aren't interested in a public interview, that's cool, but I'd at least like to ask some questions to get the most factual account possible. I'm also very interested in archiving any and all old press kits and assets from both Enix US offices.

As per your interviews and search for answers on the real history of the Enix of America closing, which was obviously a shock to everyone getting the newsletter.  Kudos mate.  Sad there are no bites yet, but hopefully something of substance turns up.  I'd hate to learn that the newsletters covering DQ5 were just based on discussion of a possible release, and not an ongoing translation, but the truth would be nice.

Oh, it was ongoing. Dragon Warrior was thier flagship title and updates were steady. The newsletters were written by Rob, their customer service guy. He works for Microsoft nowadays. Pendy reached out to him for me, but I never heard back. Paul Handelman, president of the second incarnation of Enix also worked for the first. He said in an early interview with The Japan Times Online that "Enix stopped sending them over" and it's possible that he meant DQ VI. Not many folks from the old days have easy ways to get in touch with them, and some of the ones that do I feel contacting them in that manner would be too much of an invasion of privacy. I'm not kidding when I say I've reached out to just about everyone and have gotten nowhere. If folks aren't interested in a public interview, that's cool, but I'd at least like to ask some questions to get the most factual account possible. I'm also very interested in archiving any and all old press kits and assets from both Enix US offices.

You're lying. 

You're lying. 

Yeah okay.

On topic: It's a good read, and possibly correct, but I guess we just gotta wait and see.

Reading up, THQ didn't have a lot of good... anything anyway, except Saints Row, and LucasArts wasn't dissolved, it was bought by Disney.

I'm hoping Ron Gilbert can get the IP back for Maniac Mansion and make another sequel. (( I didn't really like Day of the Tentacle. ))

I'm the one who deletes them because I can't stand crackers.

I actually deleted that most recent one, and until you can make a point without insulting people at the same time, I am going to continue to do it.

• Upvote 2

It's so much hate indeed.

Also for a localiztion standpoint we can't complain much can we? We literally got all the main games from the franchise plus the nice spin-offs ones and remakes.

Try being a "Tales of" fan, we missed a lot of Tales games and some of them are the best entries like DestinyR and Rebirth.

Edited by Arn

You know what? Seriously, if you're going to keep deleting my responses then you're nothing but a racist Woodus.

Umm, unless you make yourself known via FB or the like, how exactly are we supposed to know your color? How exactly did you turn this into a social issue?

redacted comment

Aaaaaaannnnnddddd..... We can't stay on topic for more than 2 weeks.

• Upvote 1

I'm the one who deletes them because I can't stand crackers.

Try melting cheese over them or crumbling them in soup. They're yummy.

Depends on the crackers. Not a fan of saltine but those circular ones, I forget the name, they're really good in soup.