Ports, not remakes.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's my two cents.   This is a Jeremy article, and Mr. Parish has always been a snarky, dark, and has a pretty bleak track record of predictions that has landed him in a lot of trouble with reader

I actually deleted that most recent one, and until you can make a point without insulting people at the same time, I am going to continue to do it.

The iOS version of FF1 has a file in it that says FF1PSP. :(

We'll have to wait for fan translations. DQ is dead here again. Might as well accept that and move on with our lives. Square-Enix doesn't give a $#!& about their fans, especially us. If they did, they would have localized the games by now. Instead we'll get five more remakes of Final Fantasy 1 because they only care about money.

But reamking FFVII would mean the end of the franchise...

Go figure...

Well, if the DQ games come here it would be thanks to Nintendo, like it was the case for all the recent instalments, and for all the SE works in the West... 

I still have some hopes for DQVII, but we will never have the others...

Here's my two cents.

This is a Jeremy article, and Mr. Parish has always been a snarky, dark, and has a pretty bleak track record of predictions that has landed him in a lot of trouble with readers in the past.  Granted, he makes a lot of good points, and I dare say that all gaiden releases from now on are highly questionable, and I agree we're going to see a dark age for all non-main series releases (Itadaki, Slime Mori Mori, Swords/Kenshin, the Roguelikes, Monsters, quite possibly all port versions thanks to the Wii release of 1-3, and we've yet to see a single Cell Phone and Arcade release here), with now longer waiting periods for remakes and main-series releases.  So I'll definitely give him that.

However, this little bit right here proves he either, as a proclaimed fan was not receiving the newsletters from EoA, he never bothered to read them, or he's simply stuck in his usual moody, dark, hateful fantasy world he envisions reality to be:

Perhaps not surprisingly, when the series went next-gen on Super NES, even Enix chose not to localize the games. The company brought over a number of good (Robotrek) to excellent (Soul Blazer) 16-bit RPGs, and Nintendo even pitched in to take up publishing duties on Enix RPGs from time to time (Illusion of Gaia). But Dragon Warrior V and VI (along with roguelike spin-off Torneko's Big Adventure) remained in limbo. Eventually, Enix shut down its U.S. operation altogether, seemingly killing any chances of further localizations. American Dragon Quest were ushered into a dark era.

Just the highlighted parts are incorrect.  They were working on DQV, and did exclaim that DQVI was around the corner, and not a few months later the offices were closed.  Actually, I'm sorry, two newsletters discussed DQV as being in progress.  I wish I knew which box I put them in so I could get them out and copy it word for word.  We don't know what happened at the Enix offices, however, he overreaches as well with his discussion of the NP Dragon Warrior campaign.

I did not even know about Dragon Warrior until I bought Nintendo Power, starting with the 8th issue, and even then it was almost a whisper.  There was a greater push for DW2 than DW1, and from what I recall, aside from a single magazine that held an 8 page spread, including a strategy guide, it was not a prolonged campaign to sell the game until they started giving it away.  Contrast Final Fantasy 1, which truly was a success, and if Nintendo was burned out on pushing JRPG's as he seems to imply, they would not have upped the anti and pushed FF1 far more effectively and efficiently than DW1 ever was (5 separate issues, two of which had more than 5 pages dedicated just to FF1, several mentions on the cover, and that contest for a treasure hunt).  FF1 sold because Nintendo learned their lesson from DW1 and probably hired a better marketing director.  Hell, they even sold FF2, which Square didn't even bother with on the SNES, putting out no advertising that I recall, and only relying on NP to use three issues, one with a super spread, and two with mentions, one of which was an extended upcoming, to push the game.  Nothing like FF1 initially, and as a result FF2 did not do as well, but it's a lesson.  Contrast this with Square's obvious change for FF3, in using a similar tactic to FF1, by paying for multiple issues and multiple large spreads over months, along with tons of adverts.  Strangely enough, after FF3's release, Square finally put out FF2 adverts as that compound advertisement for all SNES Squaresoft releases, just that FF2 was put first and had the largest picture, along with a caption indicating it as the prequel to FF3, or some such.

Though given this insight, the future is rather bleak, because we all know that Enix of America assumed Dragon Quest would sell in the US without any real effort, and we all know that SE hasn't done much to push the remakes, pulling an EoA of '89-92.  Strange too, since EoA's reopening did alter their tactics in advertisements and marketing.

So in that sense, even his hollower points ring a slight bell of truth I'm sure Jeremy isn't even aware of.  Though massive kudos to LordRoto for furthering the CEO campaign :).

I do think we'll definitely see DQ7, and I think we'll see DQ10 in some form (likely PC, but I have to wonder that Nintendo would want a cut of whatever possible audience is available, especially given DQ10 CAN be appealing to parents for their kids, and Nintendo is still considered a kid friendly company).

• Upvote 2

We'll have to wait for fan translations. DQ is dead here again. Might as well accept that and move on with our lives. Square-Enix doesn't give a $#!& about their fans, especially us. If they did, they would have localized the games by now. Instead we'll get five more remakes of Final Fantasy 1 because they only care about money.

Go figure...

Well, if the DQ games come here it would be thanks to Nintendo, like it was the case for all the recent instalments, and for all the SE works in the West... 

They're saving a FF VII remake for when the company is about to go under to save them. The sad part is VII isn't even that good of a game. The reason it's so popular is because of the amazing graphics for it's time. The localisation was terrible, most of the characters are boring and it featured fun mini games like giving CPR to a child. I've tried on many occasions to play it and just can't get into it again. VI deserves a remake before VII does.

On topic: I don't have a lot of spare time but I'll start poking around in the ROM for DQM 3DS. Never know what you'll discover until you have a look.

Soul Blazer. :) I re-beat that not too far back.

Here's my two cents.

This is a Jeremy article, and Mr. Parish has always been a snarky, dark, and has a pretty bleak track record of predictions that has landed him in a lot of trouble with readers in the past.

Heh, yeah, I'm glad he's a friend to DQ 'n all, but sometimes I can't help but read some of his stuff in the voice of Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

Just the highlighted parts are incorrect.  They were working on DQV, and did exclaim that DQVI was around the corner, and not a few months later the offices were closed.  Actually, I'm sorry, two newsletters discussed DQV as being in progress.  I wish I knew which box I put them in so I could get them out and copy it word for word.  We don't know what happened at the Enix offices, however, he overreaches as well with his discussion of the NP Dragon Warrior campaign

As I slowly, but surely piece together the history section for the new DQ Shrine, I've been trying my best to paint an accurate picture of what exactly happened. This comes from scrounging together every little bit of info from every source possible. I've also reached out to folks that were around at the time, if not for an interview, but to hurl questions at to fact check, but haven't had a bite on anything.

Man, I was being so cynical because I didn't want to get my hopes up to be disappointed but even this hit me hard. $#!&ing Square Enix and $#!&ing capitalist greed at it's finest. Capitalism is nothing but $#!&ing bullshit. 

This man begs to differ, ya milky licker!

9dd03ca3-134e-46a8-885f-134389efc2b7_gho

• Upvote 1

Thats bullshit. Ive been waiting forever for DQX. I dont see how in this day and age they can get away with not localizing a title like that.

Thats bullshit. Ive been waiting forever for DQX. I dont see how in this day and age they can get away with not localizing a title like that.

This day and this age are the worst that Japanese publishers have ever seen.

They have no one to blame but themselves. And, honestly, even the Western markets aren't doing well with LucasArts dissolving and THQ's total bankruptcy. 

They have no one to blame but themselves. And, honestly, even the Western markets aren't doing well with LucasArts dissolving and THQ's total bankruptcy. 

THQ made crappy games anyway. I believe their only major title was the Saints Row series. But aside from that they were mostly known for third-party games based on cartoon games. A couple of the ones I got when I was a kid still required passwords despite it being the start of the new millennium.

My guess is money, a commodity Square Enix doesn't have much of currently.

THQ made crappy games anyway. I believe their only major title was the Saints Row series. But aside from that they were mostly known for third-party games based on cartoon games. A couple of the ones I got when I was a kid still required passwords despite it being the start of the new millennium.

True enough, I hated Lucas Arts too. They got what they deserved but this probably scares companies because they fear it becomes a trend. I wouldn't mind if Crapcom fell apart and I wouldn't mind Square Enix falling at this point either. 

I hope they un-merge and square dies out, and Enix lives on! (Or Yujii Hori etc. start their own thing, could care less about enix's non-DQ IPs.)

Go figure...

They're saving a FF VII remake for when the company is about to go under to save them. The sad part is VII isn't even that good of a game. The reason it's so popular is because of the amazing graphics for it's time. The localisation was terrible, most of the characters are boring and it featured fun mini games like giving CPR to a child. I've tried on many occasions to play it and just can't get into it again. VI deserves a remake before VII does.

On topic: I don't have a lot of spare time but I'll start poking around in the ROM for DQM 3DS. Never know what you'll discover until you have a look.

Ironically, I just got through that part of FF7.

Poking around in the DQM 3DS ROM? Does that mean someone killed the encryption already?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

My guess is money, a commodity Square Enix doesn't have much of currently.

If they stopped buying companies and IP's, and stopped putting in so much insane amounts of money into Final Fantasy development, they would probably be doing just fine.  I wonder if anyone has ever done a thorough comparison of the total costs of FF13's production, since we have to include the PS2 version and the development of the Crystal Tools as part of the full process.  I really have to question if that actual cost was ever made up by the real sales.  SE subsisted for a number of those years on ports and remakes of the DQ and FF series.  Virtually every single cent that Enix paid into Square's stock by buying it at a much higher rate than it's actual value (what possessed Enix's management team to accept such a deal when Enix was on the Up and Up even abroad, and Square was reeling still from Spirits Within and closing the Hawaii offices?), went into buying out other companies like Eidos.

Let's not forget that FF14 has been in production since 2005, and is currently the longest production period for any game in SE's history.

As per your interviews and search for answers on the real history of the Enix of America closing, which was obviously a shock to everyone getting the newsletter.  Kudos mate.  Sad there are no bites yet, but hopefully something of substance turns up.  I'd hate to learn that the newsletters covering DQ5 were just based on discussion of a possible release, and not an ongoing translation, but the truth would be nice.

I hope they un-merge and square dies out, and Enix lives on! (Or Yujii Hori etc. start their own thing, could care less about enix's non-DQ IPs.)

Go figure...

Ironically, I just got through that part of FF7.

Poking around in the DQM 3DS ROM? Does that mean someone killed the encryption already?

Cain...it's a bit more than that.  We can look at FF8 and FF9's sales, and look at the media campaigns for both.  Each one had less of a campaign in the US.  FF7 they started almost 2 years prior to the game's release.  There wasn't a single magazine every single month that didn't have an article written because of one or two leaked photos.  That definitely had an impact.  By the time the official campaign was underway, most gamers were salivating at the mouth, money in hand, ready to rumble.  FF8 had some early campaign, and a mediocre pre-release campaign, but since it had an early campaign, we had months and months prior to release for all the new photos, but nothing like 7.  FF9 was a totally different ballgame, with virtually nothing leaked early, and a very heavy media campaign just prior to release, and it's sales dropped sharply by comparison.  I could be wrong in what actually triggered the difference in sales, but I would stake my life on the fact that FF7 sold more so because we were all sold by free press for 2 straight years than for any other real reason.  I still recall the photos of the blocky characters outside of battle and thinking them ugly, and how so few of those existed, while the pretty Leviathan summon and battle spells were constantly reused.

I still have like 8 magazines going back over a year, with the best of the best of FF7.  I was that hooked on it.  Then I played it, and you're right it's not that good.  I do agree SE is sitting on it, and deciding what to do.  They want to release it, bad, they just don't want to look like a joke and see far fewer sales (like with all remakes).  They want the same if not better, and it calls into question Wada's actual understanding of business, where I'll be the first to state he's a terrible businessman who has so far been lucky, but most of his decisions have hamstrung the company and forced them into a corner because he fails to understand the market and understand the customer base.  I have to imagine FF7 on the PSX's marketing success had nothing to do with Square's decisions, and that they fought tooth and nail against the marketing strategy, and what we saw were Sony's marketers pushing the game to help the success of RPG's on the PSX, a system that just prior to the announcement was a "NO-RPG's ALLOWED" system.  This seems to be the case given Sony's marketing strategies as opposed to Square's after the company went solo, and SE has followed in those footsteps since (no doubt anyway, given there are virtually NO Enix people at Square Enix, and it's almost entirely Square's management team).

Erdrick...man, while that would be nice, given Enix was learning from it's mistakes and was definitely far more hands-on with players and communicating compared to how Square was and the merged for now is, you have to remember something, there IS no Enix anymore.  After the merger, Enix's management team, the majority of them anyway, retired with a nice severance package as part of the merge deal.  Though given Horii, Tori, and Sugi have their own respective companies, and Horii owns the rights to the scenarios, and likely more than that, I'd be willing to be it wouldn't take much to buy the full rights to the DQ name (unless SE's contract is set PER game, rather than for the name and series as a whole), and be able to continue after that.  The man isn't exactly poor, and the brand name of Dragon Quest is so well I'd bet any Japanese game company would do anything to get their hands on it.  So it wouldn't be hard to find publishers and financiers.

This is true, they are to blame.  For various different reasons too.  Capcom for ruining Breath of Fire (BoFV was great, but they never prepared the audience for such wild and outrageous changes), and then subsequently burying the series which had a very loyal and good sized fan base throwing money at their feet in demand.  That game could have done very well had they either called it a spinoff title, or if they had worked gamers into the idea of BoF played as a strategy game, instead it was a...where's BoF V, and then three months prior to release, Bam, a totally different game that just happens to have Ryu and Nina and completely different mechanics and story concept. 

Yet they wait 10 years and bring us a Maple Story look-alike, and splat the BoF name to it.  Bam, done, sold a game to people who won't care since the PC version is Browser, and alienated the fans entirely.  While the likely good part is, if BoF6 (no roman numeral...which is almost like spitting on fans it's such a low blow and an insult) does do well on Cell phones at least, it does increase the chance of a true BoFVII, but given the treatment thus far, there's not one single series fan that holds this concept with any real hope.  Why should we?  Capcom has so far managed to destroy what made Resident Evil and the series redress in Resident Evil 4, good.  They've destroyed Megaman, crushed Megaman Legends fans, and even took a dump on Battle Network.  They destroyed Street Fighter, then make an awesome comeback with Marvel Versus Capcom 3, but summarily crushed SFAlpha fans into the dust, along with Dark Stalkers fans.  Even Monster Hunter fans are getting the iOS treatment.

Every new IP Capcom came up with on the PSP that ran along similar lines to Megaman Legends and Monster Hunter, while still being very interesting and unique in its own way, has been pushed aside.  All of them were GOOD offerings.  We have no idea what will happen with Devil May Cry, but my guess is they'll ruin this series as well.  The ONLY saving grace to the company is Capcom America is, by their own admission, and the manner in which they respond to fans, JUST as frustrated with Capcom Japan, and I have to say it seems like most of them actually play games, so they understand fan angst.

Then we have other old franchises of Capcom that should be resurrected, but I don't want them to be because they'll just sour my taste for them as things stand.

Konami.  I won't even touch Konami.  I don't mind what they did with Castlevania, but no metroidvania?  WHY?  That's that MOST of the long-time fans love.  Or even something old school and more classic like the original Seven games in the series, where even the SNES release of Dracula X was still worthy of play, even if the game was not as fun as Akuma Dracula X on PCE, nor anywhere near as challenging.  There are the fantastic shooters that made Konami a household name.  Where's a good Contra?  What about Gradius?  Note even R-Type is as awesome as Gradius, and I love R-Type.  Metal Gear?  Aye yie yie.  Words cannot properly emphasize my anger at what Kojima has done to his own series.  He took what is arguably the most badass character in Videogame history, as far as new-age characters go in videogames.  Turns him into a..I don't even want to say what was done in MGS3, but I'm very upset.  Then the whole Raiden thing, and sure, the latest game is good and fun, but gets old fast, and sure the physics engine is fantastic, but I want to play as Snake, not as Raiden, and mostly because they had to completely rewrite Raiden's personality to make him bearable, and it doesn't even FIT with his original incarnation, it was forced.

I won't even touch on Konami's other games.

Atlus...now here's a company that makes quality products, puts their name behind quality products, and attempts to ensure virtually every single game sees a US release, even if it means they have to sell in limited batches.  The only issue I have is their marketing, because they rarely take advantage of social media, but Atlus has yet to screw over fans, destroy their series and the series from developers who trust them to publish.

SE.  How many good ideas can a company have?  Quite a few actually, but why is it that whenever SE's development teams have good ideas, they suddenly assume the games should sell 1 million or more?  Since that seems to be the switch to determine if a game gets a sequel, unless it has an existing fanbase (Star Ocean, Mana - which is getting a reboot soon)?  It's like SE forgets that if a game sells 200k copies, that's good, that says potential, and if they bothered paying attention to fans, they'd realize that Nier has a VERY loyal fanbase who love the game, and even detractors will usually cite the battle system as being very fluid, the music as solid, and the dark atmosphere as one of their favourite aspects.  Nier needs improvement, but it could sell very well with a second installment.  The Last Remnant had a lot of bugs, but the fan reaction to the PC release was quite positive, and certainly warrants a second try, since most of the issues were bug related, and not actual dislike for the story, and the biggest beef with the game system was how erratically the camera moved and how erratically the battle switched from one character and his/her battle to another.

SE's biggest issue being they don't properly market games in the West that come from the East, and don't bother using social media.  If they bothered to realize it, games like Minecraft became popular almost entirely due to social media.  Cave Story is another success due almost entirely to social media.

All of that said, a few final points.  While it is their fault, it also isn't.  The economy of the world has been teetering on the edge for a very long time now.  Japan, everytime things start to look up and their economy heads upwards, they print an assload of money to bailout companies that weren't able to hack it in the interim.  This drives their economy down.  The result is more regulations and taxes, which tighten the grip on the cost of living in Japan.  No difference here, and no difference in virtually every country but a bare handful.  Good and services cost more, the cost of living is up, so less money is present to spend on personal items.  Japan's people, unlike the US, and to some extent Canada and some of Europe, tend to save money, and this provides further burden on business, though in the long-run saving is by far the best thing for any nation to do.  It just means that there's even less money to go into play.

So if this were the mid-90's, it would be a very different story, but there's just less money and desire going around to spend on wants.  So more companies are competing for a smaller pie overall.  The US is different in that we're stupid.  We were somehow convinced that credit is the way to go, and almost 80% of the US population is in some form of credit card debt (working population, not retirees, though some are becoming saddled with debt since the boom of the Reverse Mortgage industry, and of course kids aren't counted here), or debt period (home loans, college loans, car loans, etc.).  So things look pretty bleak right now, and if we had a different economy, I have no doubt there would be a greater natural market for Japanese games, however given Capcom's willingness to destroy their own series, and both Konami and SE's corporate ineptitude, who knows, maybe not...

Go figure...

The president of SE, Yoichi Wada said las year that FFVII is a "dream game", and no game caould surpass it. That stucked with me because it's so stupid. FFVI have far better graphism considering the console. The creative way they emulate Cinematics with the battle system still is a wonder..

FFVII was the first FF game for many. I, myself remeber the times when I watched it with my brother... 

Though having a serie whse main interrest is to totally change after each game isn't the best strategic solution these days. That's why they took so much time to anounce FFXIV and we get 3 episodes about FFXII...

Atlus' main problem was that they totally forgot the Europeans. NIS and Ghostlight exported most of their titles here, with insane waitings (18 months for a bug-ridden version of Devil Survivor( and really limited copies), Etrian Odyssey IV only comes now, and EOII and II didn't even came here). T

hey made no efforts to sell their games. Which is sad, because they made excellent games...)

I'm just going to go the pessmistic route, and pick up an Acekard or something compatible with the 3DS and replay 4-6.