Sign in to follow this  
Bynine

Fake Monsters

dqm2monsters3_zps3ebd2cb8.png

Done in a retro style. I tried my best to do them like Toriyama. Free to use with credit! Criticism is always appreciated.

Edited by Bynine

Cute!

SkeleGun looks like he would fit well in Mother. And the dumpling looks tasty.

Will you fill out the sheet?

Um...I would recommend a palette swap for LoudMouth.

Still lying in bed & seeing it on my phone. What's wrong with Loudmouth?

Um...I would recommend a palette swap for LoudMouth.

Oh God it looks like blackface doesn't it

Li'l bit.

Does it shoot lasers?

Even after reading the suggestion to change colors, I went back and could not find what you meant...

If anything, being brown and shaped like that I thought you could mean it looked like a road apple.

That may be because we do not get so much racism propaganda here. Sometimes I think it creates more bad attention to things... But then, I never lived a time where black people could not be just part of the group. While definitely a minority here and would "stand out" by being the only one out there, they would simply be one more friend (they could even be affectionaly called "negrito" by people who like him, something that would be oh-so-wrong in the USA).

But back into topic, will there be more "fake" monsters?

Even after reading the suggestion to change colors, I went back and could not find what you meant...

If anything, being brown and shaped like that I thought you could mean it looked like a road apple.

That may be because we do not get so much racism propaganda here. Sometimes I think it creates more bad attention to things... But then, I never lived a time where black people could not be just part of the group. While definitely a minority here and would "stand out" by being the only one out there, they would simply be one more friend (they could even be affectionaly called "negrito" by people who like him, something that would be oh-so-wrong in the USA).

But back into topic, will there be more "fake" monsters?

Cesar, you probably haven't seen blackface before, because it's mostly an American/Japanese thing. Here's an example:

http://japansociology.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/img_0402.jpg

And yes, there'll be more fake monsters. I'll probably fill up that chart.

(It just yells loudly at people, Dwaine.)

...W-Wow...

That is...certainly something.

(It just yells loudly at people, Dwaine.)

We all know the terrible joke that's coming here, right? No need to say it?

ETA:  Oh, and can't wait to see more monsters!

Edited by Dwaine

Dumpling seems like it could turn iconic  :)

(they could even be affectionaly called "negrito" by people who like him, something that would be oh-so-wrong in the USA).

Reminds me of the Bimbolete/Negrito sweet roll issue. My in-law once pointed that out when I was eating one. I was like, "wow, really?" since I only knew them by Bimbolete. We started joking how too much emphasis is put on racism, particularly here in the U.S. I mean really, censoring only makes things more big of a deal than they should be. Like how some people make a fuzz when someone says the word 'stupid'. (just my quick input, don't want the thread to derail)

Edited by Flute_Warrior

True. I have students tell me all the time that "stupid" is a curse word. I explain that that's just incorrect, but it is indeed inappropriate to call anyone that at school. That's taking PC to the extreme.

As to racism, I too have never lived in a time/place with it. I understand that it does exist, but most people that cry it from the rooftops any time a white person harms a black person or an Asian or anyone else, I typically find they're the most racist ones of all.

I had seen blackface before. I think the ones used in USA cartoons were also portrayed as dumb or other bad things, weren't they?

I think places with a very high percentage of black people have pics drawn by themselves where they are portrayed similarly (all black, big lips), but not as dumb people or villains. I think the style itself is not bad, but the context in which it is used.

You may have heard about Mexico's Memín Pinguín. He is a small kid with big eyes and big lips (forgot the stereotype's name). But he is the nicest character in the book. He is very childish, so he may sometimes be seen as goofy and not street smart, but all his friends like him and respect him. They do defend him from dumb people who actually treat him bad just because of his color. I do not think anyone here (black or otherwise) see him as racist. I think only people on the USA would.

Flute, the Negrito is delicious. Although just last weekend my BF took me to a panadería where they bake a similar pan dulce, but with way more chocolate inside. It was so much better. Now the Negrito seems lacking because it has less chocolate in comparison...

Please don't turn this topic into a discussion about racism! As important as it is, it doesn't have a place here.

dqm2monsters2_zps94ad1b76.png

the second dragon is a work in progress

Tell you what, you guys can come up with names for the new ones. And as always, C+C is appreciated!

Edited by Bynine

Well, just an FYI about us here, we go off topic OFTEN! It's just. The way it is, sorry if you're offered.

Back on topic: are you building the monsters pixel by pixel? Props to you for the work.

Are those supposed to be horns on the green dragon you're working on? I'd so, they look like ram's horns. Maybe a name with something ram-related in it? Ramosaurus. Dodgeasaurus ;-)

• Upvote 1

Didn't mean to derail and I the new colors work much better!

• Upvote 1

Plattym, that's "offended", not "offered".

Sorry for the derail. I did try to go back on topic at the end of my first off-topic post. Remembered it was practically useless here (we can always go back to topic like three pages afterwards) and didn't mention it on the second one.

But I want to know, are you going by Game Boy Color specs to create these?

Plattym, that's "offended", not "offered".

Sorry for the derail. I did try to go back on topic at the end of my first off-topic post. Remembered it was practically useless here (we can always go back to topic like three pages afterwards) and didn't mention it on the second one.

But I want to know, are you going by Game Boy Color specs to create these?

Damn, love my Tapatalk app, don't like all the autocorrects sometimes.  I miss them more easily than on the PC.

The one on the bottom right reminds me of the 

poring from Ragnarok Online.