Sign in to follow this  
AnythingGoes

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3DS Remake: New Monsters?

What do you think some of the over 800+ monsters will be? Of course they will be adding all of the Dragon Quest Monsters 2 exclusives, but do you think they should also bring back old recolors, like the Blue Dragon or the Stone Golem?

They might be adding monsters from DQX, judging by the hat-wearing pig in the promo picture.

Some DQX monsters will be in this game I'm sure. Chances are it will be some of the bosses and a few of the iconic new monsters. And y'know they will probably whip up a few new ones this time around. Maybe even a new monster or two related to a new post-game.

I was thinking that there were going to be more Dragon Quest X monsters, since Dragon Quest Monsters 1 for 3DS only borrowed a few. But do you think they will bring old recolors back like I mentioned before (I know they added the Mad Mole and Peeper to the DQM1 remake, so there is hope).

I was thinking that there were going to be more Dragon Quest X monsters, since Dragon Quest Monsters 1 for 3DS only borrowed a few. But do you think they will bring old recolors back like I mentioned before (I know they added the Mad Mole and Peeper to the DQM1 remake, so there is hope).

Mischievous Mole has been in every Monsters game since the series' inception. I'm not sure what a Peeper is.

Honestly I'd prefer they keep the palette swaps to a minimum; it seems kind of lazy in this day in age.

Mischievous Mole has been in every Monsters game since the series' inception. I'm not sure what a Peeper is.

Honestly I'd prefer they keep the palette swaps to a minimum; it seems kind of lazy in this day in age.

The Mad Mole is a blue Mischievous Mole who was in Dragon Warrior Monsters 1, 2, and Caravan Heart, and the Peeper is just a red Winky (the blue eyeball creature) with a yellow eye.

Don't forget, DQM2 had all the classic boss monster evolutions -- AsuraZoma, Berserk Dracolord, etc. Presumably they'll be back for this one, too.

Don't forget, DQM2 had all the classic boss monster evolutions -- AsuraZoma, Berserk Dracolord, etc. Presumably they'll be back for this one, too.

Those should be interesting to see in the remake. I wonder if the new bosses will get an "evolution" 

I'm curious to see what they do with Darck - he's somewhat unimpressive in Professional, though I love him to death. He was really disappointing in DWM2, especially given you had to beat the game and pay TinyMedals to get an egg of him. He wasn't even used to make anything, nor did he learn anything noteworthy on his own.

As an aside, I thought the green thing he was leaning on was a beanbag chair or something until I made him in my old Professional file - turns out it's a crystal ball, presumably the thing you get after beating him to plug up GreatLog's navel. I also used to think AsuraZoma's main eyes and mouth were a lion's face until I saw his PSX sprite.

Edited by Shinryu

I think he's good in Terry, but my memory betrays me.

If it's anything like Terry, there'll be at least 10 new monsters, and from the scan, with that exceptionally large eel monster, it look like we're already well on our way for that.

Those should be interesting to see in the remake. I wonder if the new bosses will get an "evolution" 

That would be interesting. I always wondered why they stopped at an "evolution" for Estark, since he's only the 1st in the Zenithian Trilogy, while all the final bosses from the Loto Trilogy had evolved forms.

I actually like pallete swaps, provided they don't make up more than 5 or 10% of the game. Just kinda camp up with that percent, but between She Slime and Metal Slimes and the like that have always been around, 40-80 doesn't seem like a whole lot. Not with 700 more ones out there.

Also, DQX monsters I beleive were confirmed in the initial press release or stories that first day.

I'd like to know how the new monsters will be placed into this game. I've never played the original, so I don't know much about the game(other than you need to stop the place from sinking and that there was two seperate versions).

Edited by Democrobot

I'd like to know how the new monsters will be placed into this game. I've never played the original, so I don't know much about the game(other than you need to stop the place from sinking and that there was two seperate versions).

Assuming there's only one version of the game, I see them going one of three routes:

1. The player chooses whether they want to be Cobi or Tara at the start of a new save file, like they do in the PSX remake, and that determines what monsters will be around primarily.

2. The player is stuck with Cobi or Tara, whoever Enix determines is the "canonical" protagonist of the game. This is the least likely route.

3. The player chooses whether they want to be Cobi or Tara, like they do in the PSX remake, but it has no effect on what monsters are in the wild; instead, both of the original games' monsters are available. Ideally, this is the route they would go.

What is the plot of the game? I know you have to get that thing to stop the place from sinking, but how do you get it and stuff? Do you have to do trials or something or some kind of tournament or what?

If I remember rightly, you had to help out the people who lived on the island to get Magic Keys to bring you to other worlds, in these worlds, you find substitutes to plug up GreatLog, until you finally meet Darck who has a replacement plug. I don't remember all the details, its been too long, but I am PRAYING this gets localized...I miss my Gorago.

If I remember rightly, you had to help out the people who lived on the island to get Magic Keys to bring you to other worlds, in these worlds, you find substitutes to plug up GreatLog, until you finally meet Darck who has a replacement plug. I don't remember all the details, its been too long, but I am PRAYING this gets localized...I miss my Gorago.

You had it pretty much summarized right there.  The best part about the game was that it introduced the keys.  There were almost an infinite number of worlds you could go explore.  It was kinda like DQIX's grotto system.  I remember how excited I was when I finally got a key to a world with ??? (boss) monsters!

You had it pretty much summarized right there.  The best part about the game was that it introduced the keys.  There were almost an infinite number of worlds you could go explore.  It was kinda like DQIX's grotto system.  I remember how excited I was when I finally got a key to a world with ??? (boss) monsters!

Yes. There WERE trials, though - in SkyWorld, you had to find some mystical pieces of equipment (you couldn't equip them, sorry - they were key items) for... some reason that I honestly forget, I think the boss of the world wanted them. Anyway, you get through all that and fight Murdaw (Mudou at the time), but after that... well, avoiding some spoilers, Darck shows up, takes everything, and tells you to come to Limbo if you want to save GreatLog. You end up fighting him as the final boss.

As for the Boss World keys, I have one in Tara's Adventure. They're the best kind of world for level grinding, as all the Boss family monsters have RIDICULOUS base EXP rewards, and their HPs can't exceed 999 (excluding the world mini/bosses, of course). They also tend to have good items lying around, and seem more prone to having rival monster masters than any other randomly generated world - particularly, Bards. The only real downsides to Boss family worlds are that you can't recruit them under any conditions, and even the weakest of the Boss monsters are very, very strong.

Edited by Shinryu

Here's what I wonder: since there are so many monsters in Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for 3DS, will they go back to the original 11 categories of monsters (Slime, Dragon, Beast, Bird, Bug, Plant, Devil, Zombie, Material, Water, and Boss) from Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, or do you think they will keep the 8 families of Joker? Personally I think they should use the 11 categories, since each family has enough monsters to be specifically categorized without one family having too many monsters.

Here's what I wonder: since there are so many monsters in Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for 3DS, will they go back to the original 11 categories of monsters (Slime, Dragon, Beast, Bird, Bug, Plant, Devil, Zombie, Material, Water, and Boss) from Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, or do you think they will keep the 8 families of Joker? Personally I think they should use the 11 categories, since each family has enough monsters to be specifically categorized without one family having too many monsters.

Interesting thought. That would make classing some monsters hard though. Some monsters could potentially fit into two families, so which would go where? 

True. 8 families makes 100+ in each.  I personally liked more families.  If you're going to have more monsters, have more families.  Makes sense!  Then again, so does a NA release... >.<

Assuming there's only one version of the game, I see them going one of three routes:

1. The player chooses whether they want to be Cobi or Tara at the start of a new save file, like they do in the PSX remake, and that determines what monsters will be around primarily.

2. The player is stuck with Cobi or Tara, whoever Enix determines is the "canonical" protagonist of the game. This is the least likely route.

3. The player chooses whether they want to be Cobi or Tara, like they do in the PSX remake, but it has no effect on what monsters are in the wild; instead, both of the original games' monsters are available. Ideally, this is the route they would go.

Interesting thought. I'm thinking number 3 since there will be 800+ monsters already. But I'm also thinking number 1 plus after a certain point, you can choose either of the two and respective changes on what wild monsters will appear depending on who you choose. Probably a post game mode, well after the main story.

On another note, I hope there will be some puzzles in the game. Something like what Golden Sun have. It would add a bit more flavor to the game. :D

Interesting thought. That would make classing some monsters hard though. Some monsters could potentially fit into two families, so which would go where? 

That is a good thought. I feel as though they would decide the family by using the more "family-like" part of the monster, like the Dragonthorn, which looks like both Dragon and Plant, but seems to lean more on the Dragon family side.