Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

DQM1 GB: "Grandpa Sakamoto"?

Ok, I'll bite.  

Anyone know anything about Tatsu, Diago, and Grandpa Sakamoto from the original DQM?

http://spritedatabase.net/file/17702

They're past Darkdrium and TERRY?, so I'm guessing they are unused bonus boss fights?

Tatsu and Diago are summons, if I recall right. There's a skill called TatsuCall that changes into other summoning skills as the user gets stronger. I think whipbird's one of the monsters that learns it. If those sprites aren't unused, maybe they appear if an opposing monster uses Transform to become the summon, if that's possible?

Grandpa Sakamoto makes me think it might be a joke left in the code by the development team. Seems like a bit of a mean joke since the sprite shown looks like whiteking's :P

Yeah, the first two are place holders for the summoned monsters, while the other one is probably a joke.

No idea who Grandpa Sakamoto is (as others have said he's prob. a joke), but Tatsu and Diego's sprites are most likely placeholders, given how they don't have any sprites AT ALL in DWM2.

Maybe Tatoo and Diago (the obvious Dhuran/Nokturnus recolours) were intended to be actual unused boss fights/and or opposing summons. Grandpa Sakamoto (obviously old wight king, just recoloured), as others have pointed out, is probably a joke left in by the development team.

The first two, obviously, are the summons from their respective Calls. The sprite is just a placeholder.

However Grandpa Sakamoto was from a tutorial that was taken out but can be accessed with gameshark debug menu codes.

tcrf.net/Dragon_Warrior_Monsters

No idea who Grandpa Sakamoto is (as others have said he's prob. a joke), but Tatsu and Diego's sprites are most likely placeholders, given how they don't have any sprites AT ALL in DWM2.

Actually, for whatever reason, they look like DrakSlimes instead of DarkDriums. Don't ask me why!

Actually, for whatever reason, they look like DrakSlimes instead of DarkDriums. Don't ask me why!

Its because lots of "unseen" monsters default to the first monster listed in the game code, which is DrakSlime. If I recall correctly the way the monsters are listed in the game code are in the same order as the Monster Book in the library.

Similarly, in the first generation pokemon games Rhydon is the first pokemon listed in the game code. When/if you catch a missingno. it usually has Rhydon's cry when it takes you to the pokedex entry or it sometimes appears and uses the cry when viewing its stats. Kanghaskhan is the second pokemon listed, which is usually what Missingno. ends up evolving into.

Edited by Dojorkan