• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No discussion here. Don't have ED and I'm actually a little afraid of what would happen if I took one of those pills.

You pessimists think what you will. I've survived two Dragon Quest "deaths" in America already. And I'm not even remotely worried now as I was then.

I hate to break things to you Apheleon, but the "backlash" over the ARPG elements of DQIX's initial unveiling was actually a VERY small but VERY vocal subset of the 4 and 2chan troll patrol.  Not even

Secret of the Stars? I played that. Liked it.

I'm another who went through the dark age of DQ, but I'm still optimistic enough(although not knowing anything about what's going down is annoying me alittle).

Secret of the Stars? I played that. Liked it.

I've always wanted to play it.

But f'real. The young kids like the shooters and stuff.

I can't stand them. They require no brains at all. Almost every shooter game I've played has been almost exactly the same. Tsk, tsk. Kids these days. Can't even play a game where you have to think a bit more.

You're obviously not a typical kid, as you're here.

I was born during the dark age...

Wait what? TWO dark ages? I only remember the one from IV-VII (Well, technically I think it's IVNES-1/2GBC but whatever)

Dragon Quest as we know it is over. They're going to have to change the formula to get it going here again.

Go away, Ryu. We don't know if/how much DQX will be changed, and nobody said that future releases would be changed. We'll be fine as long as we keep buying. (And get new people to buy too.)

Never said DQX wasn't gonna be changed, it's gonna be a typical boring MMO. 

But the newer titles are going to have to evolve. I seriously see either DQXI or the next spinoff having ARPG elements.

I was born during the dark age...

Wait what? TWO dark ages? I only remember the one from IV-VII (Well, technically I think it's IVNES-1/2GBC but whatever)

Whoops...I should have clarified I meant the dark age from IV (NES) to the GBC games. I was a kid when the numerous GBC games were released.

I've made a list of how they could change DQ to make it appeal to people in NA

1. Remove the levels, classes, etc.
  2. Add a campaign mode and a multi-player/online mode
  3. Add guns
  4. Remove all other weapons
  5. Add achievements
  6. Put it on a console that isn't by Nintendo
  7. Change the name to Call of Duty
  8. Remove any element of DQ not already removed

Na, I just think if it had more ARPG elements, it'd be pretty win.

I've made a list of how they could change DQ to make it appeal to people in NA

1. Remove the levels, classes, etc.
  2. Add a campaign mode and a multi-player/online mode
  3. Add guns
  4. Remove all other weapons
  5. Add achievements
  6. Put it on a console that isn't by Nintendo
  7. Change the name to Call of Duty
  8. Remove any element of DQ not already removed

Boy DQXI sure is gonna be a weird game...when can we start pre-ordering it? :P

Na, I just think if it had more ARPG elements, it'd be pretty win.

This is coming from someone who thought Secret of the Stars was a good game. Your argument is invalid. :P

Edited by Cain
  • Upvote 1

All old RPGs are good. :D

I hate how shooters are always so overhyped (like Halo and Resident Evil) while RPGs get little recognition in comparison.

Good RPG series like Dragon Quest and Breath of Fire are always getting killed...and yet they KEEP ON MAKING Call of Duty, Halo, and Resident Evil games...

Sorry if this seemed rant-ish, I just dislike shooters quite a bit.

Even though DQX comes to the West or not, DQ series is sadly nearing death. Cuz DQX is a MMORPG and it will extremely hurt the entire series, they will lose lots fans. Just like what happened to the Final Fantasy series with FFXI. Cuz J-RPG gamers mainly doesn't like MMORPGs (including me) and MMORPG gamers mainly hate and laugh to the J-RPG conversions. I was saying this even from the first day: MAKING THE DQX AS A MMORPG IS AN IDIOTIC CHOICE

They rebounded with FF. DQX'll be largely underlooked here and once they announce DQXI the flack'll fall off. They should release 7 3DS alongside it. :|

You think FFXII was a rebound? If you mean like a rebound girlfriend that you play around with just because you need to do something but really have no feeling for them whatsoever, then yes. Yes, I consider FFXII a great rebound.

Even though DQX comes to the West or not, DQ series is sadly nearing death. Cuz DQX is a MMORPG and it will extremely hurt the entire series, they will lose lots fans. Just like what happened to the Final Fantasy series with FFXI. Cuz J-RPG gamers mainly doesn't like MMORPGs (including me) and MMORPG gamers mainly hate and laugh to the J-RPG conversions. I was saying this even from the first day: MAKING THE DQX AS A MMORPG IS AN IDIOTIC CHOICE

All this post is backed by is generalizations that aren't even correct... And you say FF couldn't bounce back like it wasn't on a downward slope long before FFXI.

All this post is backed by is generalizations that aren't even correct... And you say FF couldn't bounce back like it wasn't on a downward slope long before FFXI.

FFVIII was an embarrassment, FFX was an abomination of a game, then Sakaguchi left and some of the best talent from Square also left and formed Monolith Soft, the signs of decline for the FF series was there long before FFXI came out.

You think FFXII was a rebound? If you mean like a rebound girlfriend that you play around with just because you need to do something but really have no feeling for them whatsoever, then yes. Yes, I consider FFXII a great rebound.

But FFXII is one of the best games in the series.  A god damn masterpiece combonation of amazing music, art and world building.

FFVIII was an embarrassment, FFX was an abomination of a game, then Sakaguchi left and some of the best talent from Square also left and formed Monolith Soft, the signs of decline for the FF series was there long before FFXI came out.

Eh FFX WAS pretty awful, but they didn't form Monolith.  That was founded by the Xenogears team, IIRC.  Sakaguchi founded Mistwalker, a studio that has only churned out mediocre titles despite the talent attached..

In any case, FF's problem is Motomu Toriyama and to a lesser degree Tetsuya Nomura.  Put Nomura on more of a leash and fire Toriyama, and FF will stop being garbage.  Better yet, put Hiroyuki Ito in charge of the franchise and you'll have masterpiece after masterpiece.

Regarding Dragon Quest.  I am concerned about it's prospects currently.  We currently have 4 titles on the table with chances of localization, and the door is starting to close on two of them.  If we don't hear anything by next E3, we will know the series really is taking a break here in the US.  I'm pretty damn nervous about the series.

Regarding Ryu's predictions about DQ changing to meet Western tastes.  It won't happen because frankly they don't care about our tastes when the tastes of their domestic base are much more important.  DQX is a project Horii has been wanting to try since the 90s, and now that he's gotten out of his system who knows where the series will head.  The series becoming an MMO is a much less of a change than it taking on more ARPG elements.  It all depends on what Horii wants, but if they do try to incorporate elements, it won't be to appeal to us.  They do not care about our tastes when it comes to the franchise, unless it involves localization decisions.

Edited by Megalosaro