Sign in to follow this  
Woodus

Dragon Quest X PC Beta Setup

Did the game send you straight to the temple?

If so, after you create your human character, you are asked if you want to skip the tutorial (offline). At least, it did for me.

It should say:

ã¯ã„ (default choice, meaning "yes")

ã„ã„ãˆ

choose the bottom one, which is "no". You should get a cutscene in the offline village, meaning you successfully started offline mode.

ã„ã„ãˆ

How did you type that, Flute Warrior? I can't find anything on how to type japanese characters.

ã„ã„ãˆ

How did you type that, Flute Warrior? I can't find anything on how to type japanese characters.

I use the IME feature on Windows which allows me to type romaji and it automatically turns to hiragana or katakana. You can add an additional language to your keyboard by going to the Region and Language option in the control panel (Windows 7), then select the keyboards and languages tab. Click on Change Keyboards and you should get a new menu. On that menu, it should say "ADD" If you click on that, it should bring you a long list of keyboard languages. I have the Japan IME selected for romaji to kana conversion. Then you should get a language bar displayed somewhere on your desktop (it usually just says EN as it is the default keyboard language, which is english). You can click on it to switch between installed languages. If for some reason it say JP as input method but won't make Japanese characters when you type the proper romaji, click on the big A next to the JP and it should ask you to pick hiragana or katakana, and problem should be solved. Optionally, you can switch between installed keyboard languages by pressing Alt+shift and you can press Alt+Caps Lock to switch to Katakana or Ctrl+Caps Lock to go back to Hiragana.

It probably won't work for everything, but it works on browsers and even the DQX Beta.

Oh, that's too bad. I had hoped to use it to type hirigana/katakana directly for google translate. Oh well.

Oh right, I forgot you need to know the romaji/kana to begin with if you want to make good use of it.

Have you looked into virtual keyboards? This online one seems pretty useful, but you'll need to copy and paste what you type in.

http://www.branah.com/japanese

Other than that, I don't know anything at the moment that can directly type kana without using an actual Japanese keyboard.

Thanks, I'll check that out when later. (Right now I'm just checking the forums one more time before going to bed for the night, well, morning as it's past 1:00 am already.)

It's not the beta anymore... but I'm having trouble with the Microsoft IME inputting into the game client.

Flute_Warrior says that it worked for the beta? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :( Spent an hour fiddling wth settings.

I'm able to switch to hiragana input mode from within the game client, and I can see it typing and trying to replace characters, but they show up as ?'s in the game. Works fine in notepad/etc. Unsure where the disconnect is (game expecting full-width? half-width? Some autoconversion screwing with it?).

I'm sure it's something stupid, I just haven't managed to stumble on the right twiddle :/ Any help greatly appreciated! I spend all my time in linux and windows is basically a game shell for me, so I'm out of my element.

Try running it on a japanese locale? Or use Locale emulator or something.

It's not the beta anymore... but I'm having trouble with the Microsoft IME inputting into the game client.

Flute_Warrior says that it worked for the beta? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :( Spent an hour fiddling wth settings.

I'm able to switch to hiragana input mode from within the game client, and I can see it typing and trying to replace characters, but they show up as ?'s in the game. Works fine in notepad/etc. Unsure where the disconnect is (game expecting full-width? half-width? Some autoconversion screwing with it?).

I'm sure it's something stupid, I just haven't managed to stumble on the right twiddle :/ Any help greatly appreciated! I spend all my time in linux and windows is basically a game shell for me, so I'm out of my element.

Try running it on a japanese locale?

Trass is correct. Just change the system locale to Japanese. I had the same thing happen one time when I was playing with bjaxx87. I forgot to change my system locale to Japanese and whenever I tried typing Japanese characters, all that would come up was ???.

I have a question to those who ordered a physical copy through Play Asia. It's my first time using Play Asia and I picked the free shipping. Will the package get delivered to my door or will I have to pick it up myself in the post office?

I used free shipping before. It'll come by regular mail right into your mail box, so there's no need to pick it up anywhere (as long as it fits in).

But it may take a while (approx. 2-4 weeks from Hong Kong to Germany).

Trass is correct. Just change the system locale to Japanese. I had the same thing happen one time when I was playing with bjaxx87. I forgot to change my system locale to Japanese and whenever I tried typing Japanese characters, all that would come up was ???.

Ah doh! That was the very next thing I intended to try. Just gave it a shot and it did indeed work, thanks! Menus in the configuration tool still don't display right, but that doesn't matter as much.

Also still have to figure out how to get local chat to work again. Some gamepad button misconfiguration or I don't know the keyboard shortcut yet, I think...

Anyway doing much better! Game does look like an upscaled Wii game, but it's much better looking and the framerate doesn't make me sick :) Will probably still use Wii half the time though.

Also still have to figure out how to get local chat to work again. Some gamepad button misconfiguration or I don't know the keyboard shortcut yet, I think...

In the beta, to get the chat working I would press SHIFT on the keyboard. To change chat type (like Friend Chat, Party Chat, Team (Guild) chat), I held the Ctrl button while pressing left or right keys.

For the record, the chatbox won't appear in offline mode. It's available once you get your online adventure log/book in the shrine I believe.

If you don't want to toggle between chat types, you can also use the following combos:

Chat with nearby people: CTRL+C

Chat with current party: CTRL+P

Chat with your friend list: CTRL+F

CHat with your team/guild: CTRL+T

Hey, does anyone know how to use the IME to make small characters? Small tsu, ya, yu, and yo are easy of course, but what about small a, i, u, e, or o? Like if you wanted to write "Will" from "Will Smith," you'd write ウィル. And I found places to copy/paste that small character from, but I don't know how to actually type them out.

Edited by Knightcrawler

Hey, does anyone know how to use the IME to make small characters? Small tsu, ya, yu, and yo are easy of course, but what about small a, i, u, e, or o? Like if you wanted to write "Will" from "Will Smith," you'd write ウィル. And I found places to copy/paste that small character from, but I don't know how to actually type them out.

I don't know if this works for you, but to make small characters, I simply type the letter L (x works too) before the japanese character.

Example for ã‚ã

a = ã‚

la = ã

Other Examples:

o = ãŠ

lo = ã‰

i = ã„

li = ãƒ

Katakana i = イ

Katakana li = ã‚£

The L pretty much means just that, "little". So its like telling it to type little a, little o, etc.

However, if you are typing a word like ウィル (Will), and you know that ウィ is pronounced wi (and not ui which would be ウイ), you can simply type wi and it will automatically convert to ウィ. Hope I made sense :)

If you don't want to toggle between chat types, you can also use the following combos:

Chat with nearby people: CTRL+C

Chat with current party: CTRL+P

Chat with your friend list: CTRL+F

CHat with your team/guild: CTRL+T

This actually seems to be the only way to bring up the chat now. For some reason, SHIFT for the chatbox doesn't work for me anymore on the full version.

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Are you trying to run the beta test version of DQX? Because that is what it says on the header "Dragon Quest X Online Beta Test Update Program. If that is the case, the beta is long gone. You need to purchase the full version to play now.

EDIT: Erased the rest of the post to make it simpler :P So simply put, do you have the full PC version?

Edited by Flute_Warrior

I dont have the full version though i tried to download the free trial of the full version but no luck. Thanks for telling me the beta doesnt work anymore.

Maybe someone could help me out with the free trial.Thanks in advance.

Edited by ZBlackDragonZ

The trial is over, unless they started a new one I haven't seen. Sorry man.

[snip]

This is really important, I was stuck without being able to type anything.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the kanji menus in this game, I can type hiragana and katakana into google and get a crude translation, but for kanji I have no clue

Edited by wiregu

[snip]

This is really important, I was stuck without being able to type anything.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the kanji menus in this game, I can type hiragana and katakana into google and get a crude translation, but for kanji I have no clue

for kanji, you can type the word in hiragana and press or hold the space bar just after typing, it will show you a list of possible kanjis you can use for that word. then you select the kanji you want and press enter (it will not send the word, but just convert the word from hiragana to kanji). it works for me in that way.

(sorry for my bad english >_<)

edit: oh sorry, i misunderstood hahaha you know how to type kanjis but don't know if the convertions are correct, is it? sorry again haha

Edited by massayuki