Sign in to follow this  
Woodus

Dragon Quest X PC Beta Setup

I haven't been online yet to verify all this works yet so if anyone can verify/correct me, but I thought I would get this going for others who want to connect.

Creating the SE Japan account
Setting up the VPN
Download Installer

Play Times for NA

Scratch mine, use the German Guide (translated to english by google translate) by bjaxx87 at topic

And some etiquette tips from Moon Rider

Since it seems like some people are sort of abusing the VPN (I'll explain what I mean), I'm gonna go ahead and list some rules I found are good to follow so far.
1.) If your getting a connection Error from Server 4 on Overplay, don't keep trying to spam connect to the game; wait awhile and come back to try again. A few people here have already gotten their account locked (temporarily).

2.) If you have to log in to play offline (I haven't played beta so this part is speculation from what I've seen), and you plan to eventually play online; DO NOT LOG ON WITHOUT A VPN. SQ can see that, and it's called IP hopping; they will ban you permanently eventually, as even though people get out of Japan errors in Japan, their IP doesn't come up as American or otherwise.

3.) Be careful what you say or do in game, do not give any hint your foreign unless to forum members in in-game private messages.

Remember, a VPN ban isn't just for one person, it's for everyone who plays, and enjoys using it.

Edited by Woodus

You don't have to log in to play single player. I don't have a SQEX account, but I've played part of the offline campaign. (I'm only level 3 or 4, though. Haven't progressed the story at all, I don't know japanese  :P )

Does anyone know where the single player saves are stored? I'm going over to my mom's house and want to pick up where I left off when I'm there (weekends are all day play, right?

While you don't have to login, the game does make a connection attempt to secure.square-enix.com before it brings the login window up -- I would not risk any possibility of them throwing something in *later* to track your IP with a 'cookie' -- if you know what I mean.  Play it safe, connect to your VPN anyway.

I don't know how to use a VPN, do I have to set that up with my router? If so, I can't. (At my dad's house at least - I'm setting up a new computer for gaming at my mom's house as we speak... And I made sure to check "Install files for East Asian languages" :smiley: ). My dad has the router password protected, isn't into "nerdy" beta-type stuff, and has something against dragon quest. (It might be that he's trying to be the polar opposite of my mother, they divorced before I can even remember, and he acts like everything my mom likes is horrible. And my mom has been a big DQ (DW back then) fan since she was younger than I am now.)

OK, I finally got online, I am Level 8 Ogre, is there a good walkthru anywhere to help along?

Saigan played as an ogre, didn't he?  He documented much his playthrough, so you could probably use his youtube channel as reference.

Doh, good point

I have a little problem running the game, in fact after starting the VPN SoftEther Client Manager and have found a functional server in Japan, I run DQ X, then I click on the yellow button, then he asked me what part I want to start, so my part or I'm online mode and I have the following message:

76879952m1.jpg

80349575m2.png

What is manipulation I forgot to do to access the online mode please?

Did you click Add VPN connection or Add Relay Server?  Because I've heard of people having that pop up but I've never had a problem with it when I used Add Relay Server.

The gu

I have a little problem running the game, in fact after starting the VPN SoftEther Client Manager and have found a functional server in Japan, I run DQ X, then I click on the yellow button, then he asked me what part I want to start, so my part or I'm online mode and I have the following message:

76879952m1.jpg

80349575m2.png

What is manipulation I forgot to do to access the online mode please?

p00b.PNG

As you can see from the screenshot from the guide linked to in the top picture. You need to press the blue button, not the yellow button.

Is the beta still going?

It's down for two weeks, it will continue 26th July in phase 1.1. They announced to set aside some of the limits.

I am not able to even get the Benchmark to launch, it keeps crashing, I have re-installed. I play FF11 & 14 on it, no problem...  I have set my computer to Japanese also... (winXP) anyone else have this problem? any help would be great!

I could not get it to run on any of the XP machines I tried.

• Upvote 1

So I finally decided to try out the beta. Got everything installed and updated, but how exactly do I play the offline mode? I made my character in the offline mode, but soon after it made me choose a tribe. I went to the online mode (because I couldn't start offline) and it appears I registered my character. I logged on the first server and saw what appears to be part of the Elf story, but some people were spawning in the same house right after the cutscene. If I go to offline mode, my sibling's level appears to be 3, but I can't seem to start it. I was looking to familiarize myself with the game before I went online.

My VPN connections was lost as I was browsing the online shoutouts. Couldn't log back in anyway because the beta time was over for the day I believe.

EDIT:

Nevermind. Just logged in now and made a new file. After that, I'm pretty sure it asks if you want to jump straight to online or not. I chose 'no' this time and offline has started.

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Is there a way to pin a VPN connection in Softether? Or to make a shortcut to one specific connection?

Is there a way to pin a VPN connection in Softether? Or to make a shortcut to one specific connection?

The way I did it was through the "Add VPN Connection" option in the client manager (main window). 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What I did [first] was check the properties of the VPN Relay server I was using (right-click on your preferred connection you are currently using then choose properties), then I copied the following data from the "Destination VPN Server" section (first section on the top left) onto notepad:

Hostname

Port Number

Virtual Hub Name

Also make note of the "User Authentication Settings", which is the mid-section to the right. I've only tried it on 1 connection so far, but I think the norm is

Auth Type: Anonymous Authentication

User Name: vpn

Then I went to the client manager and double-clicked on  "Add VPN Connection" and just filled in the data that I copied manually (don't forget the Authentication settings). Then just click ok and it should add it to the main client manager. Should be there every time you open up SoftEther. Start it up like usual.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Everything seems to be working fine for me. Haven't played online mode since I made my new file though. There might be a faster way too, like exporting all the settings and then importing. I saw the option to do this, but it doesn't look enabled for Gate Connections.

Edited by Flute_Warrior

No problem, glad it worked. I didn't check the shortcut option myself. Only problem is I don't see a way to quit the connection without the client manager (mostly due to  my system's locale set to Japanese), but I simply flick the wireless adapter switch and problem solved  :)

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Just tried to get into the game again for the first time since before it went down for a while. Decided to go with a VPN this time, just in case. But the VPN keeps disconnecting before the game will even finish updating, which causes the whole program to just stop. I'd normally just be patient and keep restarting it, but the beta starts at like 9:00 at night here. I don't have the patience for this that late in the day. Is there a way to keep it from disconnecting so frequently?

I think you can update the client with your regular connection. Always did that on the Wii, you only need the VPN for logging onto the game itself.

ok. sounds good, thanks!

Yup, that is how I have done it as well

The beta ends at 6am PDT tomorrow (Sunday) I believe. still have a few hours for those wanting to try out a bit of the online mode.