Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

Dragon Quest X to be Ported to PC

I am just roaming around and doing random stuff for now.  I can't read Japanese at all, so I can only guess about what I am doing.  Cranberry made a guide for navigating the offline mode for English speaking types.  I haven't tried to use it yet, but I am assuming it is extremely helpful.

As for ripping stuff from the install files, that is a great idea.  I will take a look at that tonight.  I am not sure we need the music unless it has changed since we ripped it from the Wii version.  The graphics would be great to have.  Some stuff should be rippable while playing in game, but it would be nice to have the stuff at native resolution directly from the installation if possible.

I really want to try this. :( I dont know how you guys are playing it unless every one of you can read Japanese.

Being able to read hiragana and katakana helps but isn't necessary. Often times playing a foreign RPG is as simple as memorizing what the squiggly line commands each do. Cranberry also put together a great guide to help people get through offline mode.

If you have an afternoon free you can learn kana pretty quickly.

http://www.memrise.com/course/1161/hiragana/

http://www.memrise.com/course/63113/basic-katakana-1/

I really want to try this. :( I dont know how you guys are playing it unless every one of you can read Japanese.

Being able to read hiragana and katakana helps but isn't necessary. Often times playing a foreign RPG is as simple as memorizing what the squiggly line commands each do. Cranberry also put together a great guide to help people get through offline mode.

Is their any books and reading material you can recommend Sai?  I may as well start learning to read both Hiragana and Katakana due to FFXIV and other games.

FFXIV is due to a US release.

Is their any books and reading material you can recommend Sai?  I may as well start learning to read both Hiragana and Katakana due to FFXIV and other games.

FFXIV is totally getting a US release so I wouldn't stress that one too much. In addition to memrise I would suggest livemocha.com as another great language learning site.

Thankyou again captain obvious.  Now let me ask you a question, what language do the other people, who share the servers with US/EU speak and type, and ill give you a hint, its a Island nation that is slightly more technologically advanced, than we are?

/facepalm seriously guys? Really?

Edited by Alexandrious

Thankyou again captain obvious.  Now let me ask you a question, what language do the other people, who share the servers with US/EU speak and type, and ill give you a hint, its a Island nation that is slightly more technologically advanced, than we are?

The passive aggressiveness isn't really necessary. If you are concerned about speaking with everyone online in FFXIV then you'll also need to learn French, German, Spanish, and Russian. At least.

The passive aggressiveness isn't really necessary. If you are concerned about speaking with everyone online in FFXIV then you'll also need to learn French, German, Spanish, and Russian. At least.

Most euros I seen speak and read english very very well.  Even my Czech redheaded fiance reads, writes and speaks it perfectly, learning it all mostly from high school. Japanese players tend not to, strangely enough since English is a language in their school curriculum.  I tend to do pug groups with JP players quite a bit late at night to basically learn unorthodox tricks and techniques from them, particularly from their Tanks, as to add more to my arsenal.  Japanese players always do things very different from US/EU players. If I can learn to read and write the language, it would be much more effective.  So I been looking into books lately to learn.  Never can do the online learning stuff, more of a book person. 

Edited by Alexandrious

I am just roaming around and doing random stuff for now.  I can't read Japanese at all, so I can only guess about what I am doing.  Cranberry made a guide for navigating the offline mode for English speaking types.  I haven't tried to use it yet, but I am assuming it is extremely helpful.

As for ripping stuff from the install files, that is a great idea.  I will take a look at that tonight.  I am not sure we need the music unless it has changed since we ripped it from the Wii version.  The graphics would be great to have.  Some stuff should be rippable while playing in game, but it would be nice to have the stuff at native resolution directly from the installation if possible.

I am an evil fan for putting out this temptation before even the japanese version is "released" but I want to find the text files... Take a guess why.

Ok, I have sifted through the install files. Essentially there are two folders: Bin and Data

The bulk of the game resources are in the Data folder.  It contains several files with extensions of .dat0, .dat1 and .dat2, each with an accompanying .idx file.  I think the .idx files provides pointers / offsets to the data within the .dat files.  The DAT headers are tagged with SMPK, but I don't know anything about that format. 

And that's where I become over my head in terms of knowing what to do next.  I will close this post with a few frames I grabbed while playing around in the beta last night:

Dragon_Quest_X_King_Zenith_With_Weapon.p

Gear_Samples.png

Icons.png

KZ_In_Town.png

KZ_Near_Slime_Knight.png

KZ_With_Map_Open.png

How did you pull up the map? And why are your button icons actually keys? (When I played, every button icon was a number, in a sprite that looked like the 1/2 buttons on the wii remote but with numbers all the way up to 9 or 10 or something.)

Please no more pics of the game. It makes me sad cause I want to play damn it! :(

How did you pull up the map? And why are your button icons actually keys? (When I played, every button icon was a number, in a sprite that looked like the 1/2 buttons on the wii remote but with numbers all the way up to 9 or 10 or something.)

I didn't have a controller plugged in, so all of the inputs were mapped to keyboard keys (and I didn't modify any of them).  The controls were very hard to get used to, but I finally got the hang of it after a while.  The way it was mapped by default, W moves me forward and I could "steer" with the Q and E buttons.  The R button made me run (kind of makes sense) and the M button brought up the map (also makes sense).  The Enter key was the "action" button which would select menu items, open doors, cabinets, chests etc.   Many more of the keys had functions as well. I don't remember what they all were off-hand.

Soera, I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel sad.  I can hold off on the pictures. I am just a bit of a picture junky, especially when  there is potential to rip resources and icons and stuff.

Lol Im just kidding. Its just depressing. :P

I didn't have a controller plugged in either... Just a keyboard and mouse.

Although I wonder if it supports Wiimote use... Doubt it, but it's possible.

Is your input key-mapping the same as what I mentioned above?

Yup.

Damn. I was going to see if it was just something that got updated between when I played and when you played but:

?? ???????????????

?????????????????????????

?????????????????????????

This is the one that means the beta isn't up, right?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Yeah, my understanding that is what that error states.

Is there a key sequence to take screenshots from within the game?  Or do you just have to use your favorite one "outside" the game (which is what I have been doing so far).

I've just been using Ctrl + Print, Screen personally.  I haven't really dug around the menus much to see if the option from the console version is extant

• Upvote 1

I just use print screen and paste into paint.

Is there a key sequence to take screenshots from within the game?  Or do you just have to use your favorite one "outside" the game (which is what I have been doing so far).

The game has a camera in it that you can use to take pictures (it excludes all the heads-up display information.) But one of the restrictions of the PC Beta is that they aren't letting you use that function.

hmmm... i didn't read the TOS/EULA/whatever (it's in japanese). I hope we aren't breaking the rules posting pictures here... Then again, most of us are breaking the rules anyways, playing outside japan.

If you guys are interested in some 1080p screenshots:

http://jpgames-forum.de/japanische-videospiele/playstation-4-xbox-one-und-pc/25606-dragon-quest-x-beta

Just click the spoiler-tags! Oh, and wait till all pics have loaded, as they get shrinked afterwards. Clicking on them will show them in their original size again.

hmmm... i didn't read the TOS/EULA/whatever (it's in japanese). I hope we aren't breaking the rules posting pictures here... Then again, most of us are breaking the rules anyways, playing outside japan.

Chances are they'll unlock it in another phase of the beta.  They just aren't testing that specific feature right now