Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

Dragon Quest X to be Ported to PC

Not only PC, but they demo'd it on Windows Tablet! :D

Mobile (at least for Japan) DQX! :D

Only problem I can tell as a westerner playing this game with te restrictions we have is since you can't pay through credit card or crysta unless you live in Japan, you'd still have to pay on Wii with Wii points, than play on PC.

So it's still a hastle if SQ bans Overplay 4.

As far as I understand it, the tablet version was just running Windows 8, not a tablet OS.  The mobile stuff I saw was...

Holy $#!&, is that DQ enabled Google Glass?

I'm watching the broadcast now (and not understanding) and was disappointed for no localisation news. Also, there was this weird keychain-slime thing. Does anyone know what that is?

Not worth getting a PC version. Suck that there is no news about localising the game.

... You understand that we didn't get FFXI until they did a PC version, right?  This is the best news we've had in DQ land for months.

Even if we don't get a localization, this opens up fan translations, since there won't be any DRM on the data files on the PC version.  PSO2, for example.

I'm watching the broadcast now (and not understanding) and was disappointed for no localisation news. Also, there was this weird keychain-slime thing. Does anyone know what that is?

An authenticator.  It generates a unique password that changes every ~10 seconds, makes your account much harder to hack.  Not sure if it's required for DQX, it was optional for FF11 but highly suggested (and they bribed you with double inventory space for getting one).

Edited by KiTA

Oh, cool. I didn't think of the FFXI situation though, maybe it'll happen for DQX? 

The broadcast just ended. At the end, they had a trailer of DQX, but, it had the starflight express and the "concept hero" from DQIX. Is this an expansion?

Hm, I'm OK with this. Should make future fan translating and playing the game a little easier.

• Upvote 1

Hm, I'm OK with this. Should make future fan translating and playing the game a little easier.

Exactly this! PC games are a billion times easier to translate and play. Getting my Wii to play this game was a ton of work.

^Like I said, I hope you guys mean for whatever offline content there is. Building a unique server for Western players would be next to impossible, and playing on PC instead of Wii online is impossible due to obtaining a subscription outside Japan.

Honestly the greatest news I feel like it brings is hope for western office release.

^Like I said, I hope you guys mean for whatever offline content there is. Building a unique server for Western players would be next to impossible, and playing on PC instead of Wii online is impossible due to obtaining a subscription outside Japan.

Honestly the greatest news I feel like it brings is hope for western office release.

There are services you can use to pay for things that require japanese bank accounts.  Getting a J-account wouldn't be hard at all.  With this PC release, I'm definitely going to import

^REALLY?

Damn, I'm sorry than, I'm definitely importing as well. Can't wait to see DQX on an Alienware!

The broadcast just ended. At the end, they had a trailer of DQX, but, it had the starflight express and the "concept hero" from DQIX. Is this an expansion?

Nah, they were just killing time until the next program starts.

I'm a bit disappointed that Nintendo is losing this as an exclusive not because I don't think anyone else should be able to play it, but because I fear it harms Nintendo's chance of getting future MMORPGs.  I really wanted to see this succeed and dispel the common belief that Nintendo is a poor platform for online games.

More than anything I was hoping for a localization announcement.  While this is great news for importers, I just really wish it had been more successful on the Nintendo platform.  It sure would help if Square-Enix would get us a blasted localization.

BTW, the beta is live now.  People are posting screenshots from it on NeoGAF and "the imageboard that must not be named."

Edit:  And yes, it has a region block:

7b7cdec21a6ojeb.jpg

Because Japan is full of Xenophobic racists, and Square Enix hates dirty gaijin cash.

Edited by KiTA

Hmmm can't seem to use my account from the Wii version for the PC beta, can't remember the birthdate that I entered, which is weird because I presume I would've put in my own birthday. Is there a workaround for this problem?

NEVERMIND GOT IT!

Edited by Gloomy

I'm a bit disappointed that Nintendo is losing this as an exclusive not because I don't think anyone else should be able to play it, but because I fear it harms Nintendo's chance of getting future MMORPGs.  I really wanted to see this succeed and dispel the common belief that Nintendo is a poor platform for online games.

More than anything I was hoping for a localization announcement.  While this is great news for importers, I just really wish it had been more successful on the Nintendo platform.  It sure would help if Square-Enix would get us a blasted localization.

A larger user base will lead to a more successful game though.

• Upvote 1

It may make this game more successful.  Just that the game didn't do so well on Nintendo's platform has me worried for future games on Nintendo platforms.  I really wanted Dragon Quest X to prove that Nintendo can be a fine home for MMORPGs.  If the PC version turns out to be a huge success, I fear that will be the final nail in the coffin for MMORPGs on Nintendo consoles.

A larger user base will lead to a more successful game though.

I agree with your sentiment, however its still great news for those of us who just want to play this game at all. Here's to hoping this makes import play easier.

This will likely run on baseline PCs pretty well. And I'm psyched, honestly.

A PC version will be super-easy to translate and set up for play in the US. A PC port means we're getting DQX. :) Now it's just a matter of time.

^I got my Alienware for less than a third of the list price, brand new. It was cheaper than every alternative.

Does shared servers automatically mean crossplay between WiiU/Wii and PC?

From what people are seeing in the Beta or the benchmark, should people worry for the WiiU version?