Help: Is DQVC store down? 06-22-2013

millu27

Here was my response from SE Support last night

vSubject: [t2366792:28f0] DQVC not working
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:28:09 +0900
To: woodus

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

The issue has already been reported to the appropriate party. Unfortunately, we cannot give you a time frame as to when the issue will be resolved and we ask for your patience regarding this matter. Thank you for taking the time to contact us today.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

More responses that indicate they're actually taking this seriously.  Awesome, thanks for posting Woodus :)

I re-responded asking if they do decide to shut it down if there was a way to turn it over to the fan community, doubt I will get any response but thought it might be worth asking.

I seriously doubt they're taking this seriously. :|

A complete change in the type of response is typically a good indicator.  You really do enjoy being a crotchety old man that lives in a cabin in the woods, waves a cane, and distills the wisdom of an embittered and wizened fogey who wishes all to know they too may end up the same way.

LOL, I can certainly see your appeal Ryu.

It's not just based on nothing, the change in dialogue is evidence that we're not getting cookie cutter messages, and resonates with a year ago.  That doesn't mean the battle is over if DQVC IS indeed put back online (wasn't when I checked this morning).

Someone has to be the old man. *waves his cane*

You durn kids! I played my Dragon Quest in the snow! Barefoot! For fifteen miles! And I liked it! Why back in my day there wasn't even a Quest in it, that blue guy was the Dragon Warrior!

• Upvote 1

Not so sure about that.

Ok, so rather than edit, I basically wrote a second version, and I'm not sure which I like more, so let's see what you guys think?

Second Version:

(Your Name Goes Here, Full Name carries more weight, authority, and is likely to be taken seriously)

(Your Address Here, If any of you feel uncomfortable just leave your country)

Mr. Phil Rogers,

Hello, I am a fan of the Square Enix series, Dragon Quest. A series that seems all but forgotten by your company. While it is understandable that while Nintendo publishes Dragon Quest in the US, that they are responsible for the media blitz for the release, the lack of information leading into a release has left a gaping hole in sales, for which I will explain below.

Back during the Playstation era Squaresoft attempted something it had only done very lightly with Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III in the US and Europe) that turned Final Fantasy VII into a legend. Squaresoft, in the US, released a slow trickle of information about Final Fantasy VII for a year and a half. Every other week was something new. It was not the larger media blitz 6 months prior to the release date that sold the game, it was the salivating fans who were given all of this small glorification, and the online chatrooms buzzing with discussions about what new info was coming out. The same thing happens today with Dragon Quest in Japan. Yet today, when social media is infinitely larger than in the 90's, and with so many avenues of free press, why has this never been used to sell Dragon Quest games before release?

We have youtube, facebook, reddit, blogs, vloggers, twitter, and so many other avenues to drum up small drops of support that could easily ripple out into the larger ocean of the greater populace of the world. So long as that drip of information was maintained with a steady flow over a period of time, it would give myself and other fans a strong desire to be patient for Dragon Quest, to blog about how great Square Enix is, how that even though Nintendo is publishing, Square Enix is on board and supporting the fan base. Had this approach been taken, it is no doubt that every Dragon Quest title since the merger would have sold substantially more in the US and Europe, including the spinoff series such as Dragon Quest Monsters.

Even if another company publishes your game, is it not your responsibility to see it succeed? Do you not also want to see Dragon Quest succeed? I believe you do, but I, and other fans, need that support from your end. Give us the tools to point to Dragon Quest, to show friends and unknowns this fantastically simple and fun series.

It is fantastic that your company is opening lines of communication through your personal blog, and perhaps other key members of Square Enix in the US and Europe will join in, creating a more open and inviting atmosphere. Let this be a beginning, but this open communication should breach all sectors of your company. Recently, on June 21st, an online feature for Dragon Quest IX, known as the DQVC, was turned off, and while Nintendo did publish the game, there is a complete lack of understanding amongst both companies on who runs the DQVC. This is an online component that is very important to the game, and is a necessary component to even complete it. It would be very useful going into the future, that if there is an online component to an offline Single Player game, that it be very clear both to customers and to staff, who runs the service.

We would like a pledge and a public response indicating your desire to see Dragon Quest succeed in the West, and a desire to shed more light on upcoming releases.

Thank you

(Name Here)

First Version:

(Your Name Goes Here, Full Name carries more weight, authority, and is likely to be taken seriously)

(Your Address Here, If any of you feel uncomfortable just leave your country)

Mr. Phil Rogers,

I would like to address to you my worries over the series Dragon Quest. For years fans of the series have been patient between releases, and I often worry that Square Enix does not take this series seriously outside the origin country of Japan. Recently, in light of certain recent issues like the DQVC service for Dragon Quest IX going offline, I, and many other fans, have lost faith that Square Enix has any concern or care for the fan base of this series.

While wait periods since the merger pale in comparison to years past, opportunity was allowed to slip past, as Dragon Quest V on the PS2 could have easily piggybacked off of Dragon Quest VIII's success. Yet it is understandable why this game was passed up. However, Dragon Quest IV's sales were lacking because no one knew the game existed. Had it not been for diligence of the Dragon Quest community, almost no information would have been known of its release. There are many outlets of free media and very low cost ways of leaking information slowly over time, to keep the discourse of a game continuous. Yet this was passed up, and it seems the burden was left to the fan base, myself included, to pick up the slack. Dragon Quest fans are spread far and wide, and the series has tremendous potential to appeal to audiences of any age, culture, and faith.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, is a fabulous game, and while Nintendo did publish this outside of Japan there is concern over who runs the online component of the game, the DQVC. A year ago, the system went down, and after contacting both your company and Nintendo, I, and other fans, were led to believe your company runs the servers and had fixed them. Now, a year later, the same problem, but this time your company is insistent that it does not run the servers. I am troubled by the lack of communication.

There is also the issue of Dragon Quest VII, which has been remade for the Nintendo 3DS. This is a game that is rumored to be coming to Western shores, yet, like Dragon Quest IV and V before them, there is not only no information, but no release data. No 'leaks' to major RPG bloggers like those on Kotaku, or smaller news sites with a lot of traffic like Siliconera. There is information on the Japanese release, but without those bits of data on a US and EU release, the core fan base is left wanting, worried, and despondent. Using social media to keep fans informed of the game, possible english screen shots, and numerous leaks to various media sources about the game as though it were never released in Japan would boost interest, keep the name and brand in the public spotlight, and ensure greater sales. Even if Nintendo produces it, your company still profits, being the developer, thus there is some measure of responsibility.

Finally, the Dragon Quest Monster series. The last release was Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, however many fans were intimately aware of the Professional version, an improved version of the game that was released well before any information leaked of a US and EU release. While I am not upset that Professional was passed up in favor of the original, it does feel like a slap in the face. Further, there has been no information regarding Terry's Wonderland, a remake of the original Dragon Quest Monsters. It would benefit you and your company to state outright if a game is not coming to Western shores. There are always people who will be angry, but I, and many other Dragon Quest fans have learned to be very diligent in checking for any information, so we are well aware of what games have not been released on our shores. With the recent information on a remake for both Dragon Quest Monster II games, there is further worry we are being passed up.

I do not expect or want an active campaign for Dragon Quest. I understand the business end of the costs involved. However, I do not understand why cheap and free methods for marketing have been overlooked. I do not understand why your company is so unwilling to be forthcoming about information. I would think your company would want to excite fans. Yet instead, we are left drowning in worries and fighting amongst ourselves as almost no information is ever disclosed to the public outside of Japan on Western releases.

Consider the benefits of being more open to your Dragon Quest fans. Consider that even if Nintendo is publishing a Dragon Quest title, that in reaching out to fans and helping to push the game through cost-effective means, the chance to actually see success in the West is broadened drastically. I should note that many fans are despondent and have lost faith and hope that your company actually cares for us. I think you can prove that sentiment wrong.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

(Full Name Goes Here)

The idea with the second version is to do more than one email campaign, and have this one be focused on social media to sell DQ so they can feel like they're making money and communication with fans.  The second one would be about specific games we want to hear information about, and DQVC, and whether we can be given the server source code for it to keep it going forever so everyone can fully enjoy the game into the future without their company being burdened by fixing it, and instead focus on newer games.

After a couple email rounds with Nintendo this is the last response I got, not sure if them passing this "up the chain" will do any good or not.

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 06:25:19 -0700

To: <woodus>

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear that Square-Enix was not able to assist you, since they do in fact maintain the DQVC. Since you've mentioned you aren't getting any errors, I'm afraid there aren't any suggestions I can offer.

I am concerned to hear that Square-Enix wasn't able to assist you, so rest assured that I have notified the correct departments here at Nintendo about your experience with them.

Since we don't handle support for the DQVC, we don't have information about whether it is down. My recommendation is to try again at a later date. If you contact Square-Enix again, it would be good to attempt to speak to a supervisor if you didn't already.

Sincerely,

Ben Weekly

Nintendo of America, Inc.

The lack of responses on the two letter ideas and the obvious slow down of this particular campaign for DQVC has me thinking it's time to take a pause myself.  There are a number of factors leading into this.  1) We're a very small community, and very VERY scattered.  2) Most of us play other games, and unless we're playing DQX or DQVII 3DS still, the heyday of a new release is done, so we're even more scattered as a community than ever before.  3) It's not easy to start a campaign when you're as lazy as I am, many of you have been helpful, especially redneck, Woodus, and several very key members of the GameFAQs community, but I'm not as committed to the time and effort really needed, nor do I have great resources to handle this.  4) Life, that most important element gets in the way of this.  Most of us have families to take care of, work, and given this is the middle of summer, I'm sure business has picked up worldwide by substantial margins.  Anyone in the entertainment industry is likely really busy with new release schedules from music to movies, to books and tv.

So, my apologies to everyone I've so far let down, and my apologies for grossly mismanaging this thus far.  Let's be honest, no pleasantries, no "no you haven'ts"  As I have.  I'm also not an influential or well known member here, so that has to play some factor, let alone a well known public persona.  Maybe one day I can fix that.

For all the support and help so far, thanks.  The campaign isn't over though, it's just on pause, and since I really blundered on the formal email campaign letters to phil rogers, I think it's best to just postpone that.

Well in the meantime I am going to keep emailing them back, here is the latest I got from SE.

On 8/5/2013 6:57 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

Unfortunately that service is not available at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. Suggestions from our customers are always valued. While we cannot guarantee implementation we will surely pass this on to the developers.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

For additional assistance with this issue, you can reply to this email directly. For assistance with a new issue, please visit the SQUARE ENIX Support Center at
http://support.na.square-enix.com

I am going to put in another ticket afterall.  They still haven't answered my 4th, but why not.  It's sad they're already changing direction from "We're working on it" to "It's off, maybe the techs will deal with it, maybe the management will say to turn it on, but don't hold your hopes up."

Thanks for that Woodus.

If you people really want the service why not run a fund event of some kind and save up to 10k dollars, then offer them that for DQVC code so you may implement it your self on whatever website for however long you want. Also strictly mention that you will not resell the code to other companies or party's, since they may say no unless you mention you are not interested in selling off the there company secrets etc.

I'm not sure how offering to buy the service, when technically we already have by purchasing the game, is a good option.  It does not really "sweeten" the deal in convincing them of our intentions, if anything it shows less care and concern for the product itself, and hints that we may have ulterior motives that include finances.  No, money should never be brought into this save to indicate the cost analysis of running the server, as a means to convince them to keep it running indefinitely, or that if they do release the code, we are perfectly capable of handling that end and would require nothing else on SE's part to maintain it independently.

No, I'm quite sure that idea would backfire with drastic results.  I'd rather they ignore us than consider us possible pirates, which would literally destroy any possible chance of any possible open line of communication at any possible time unless some major celebrity endorsements, a buyout, a complete managerial shift from SE Japan all the way to the US where more open minded executive officers and board members run day to day operations.  That I would not want to risk, and the possibility is considerably high.

Thanks for the idea though, I do appreciate the effort, but it has too much risk, and the reward chance is a flat 0.

• 6 months later...

I bought all DQVC exclusive items except Santa's Slacks. I hope the server will be online on december!  :ws-slimedead: Or i'll never get all the equipments...

If the system goes down, I'll be the first to report.  :tounge2: 

They are selling exclusive items this week!  :thumbsup:

Edited by Rangel

I didn't play DQIX for quite a while and I didn't even finish it. How far do you need to progress to get access to the DQVC store? And where can I find it? I better look into getting the DLCs and other stuff as long as it's still possible (just look at Pokémon Black/White, they just shut down the Dream World).

I didn't play DQIX for quite a while and I didn't even finish it. How far do you need to progress to get access to the DQVC store? And where can I find it? I better look into getting the DLCs and other stuff as long as it's still possible (just look at Pokémon Black/White, they just shut down the Dream World).

I think there is no need to finish the game first. You can access the DQVC Store after reach Stornway, inthe INN.