Translation Project

Hmm, it seems that NintendoLife has gotten word of this project.  They just posted this article:

Fans Are Translating Dragon Quest VII On 3DS Because Square Enix Won't

EDIT: also on TinyCartridge with more specific references to the people working on it.

Edited by King Zenith
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am definitely on board with a project like this.  I can help with editing / proof-reading the script, play-testing, debugging etc.  I know those are the least helpful things for a translation projec

I was pretty confident we were going to get it after I got the C&D.  Like I've said before, it's very unlikely a company will send a C&D unless they're planning on releasing it themselves.  If

Since we are facing the possibility of DQVIIr not being released in English, we should probably get an idea of who would be willing to help out with a fan translation. Please post if you're intereste

Exactly.  I'd rather them do it so we can buy the game and continue to support the franchise.  It's not about trying to get the game for free, it's about letting us fans play a game that we should have.  All SE has to do is confirm they're working on it and that's the end of this project, otherwise, we'll see what we can do.  The actual editing of the text looks like it's going to be very easy based on preliminary investigation and testing, so it's just a matter of finding someone dedicated enough to translate the game.

Do you guys want me to Tweet or post this to Facebook to get more word out, or leave it as is for now?

LonelyTV was planning on doing just a menu translation, but now that we know we can change the script, a full translation is a possibility.  We need a dedicated translator to tackle the script though.  It's probably best to leave it as is for now, but it looks like the word is kind of spreading anyway.

EDIT: 

Another one:  http://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-vii-3ds-fan-translation-underway/

Apparently it's gone kinda viral.... http://www.gonintendo.com/s/248424-fan-translation-for-dragon-quest-vii-3ds-under-way

Edited by Cain

Has anyone taken a look at the two monster games and the slime game to see if they would be easy to start translating?

LonelyTV was planning on doing just a menu translation, but now that we know we can change the script, a full translation is a possibility.  We need a dedicated translator to tackle the script though.  It's probably best to leave it as is for now, but it looks like the word is kind of spreading anyway.

EDIT: 

Another one:  http://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-vii-3ds-fan-translation-underway/

Apparently it's gone kinda viral.... http://www.gonintendo.com/s/248424-fan-translation-for-dragon-quest-vii-3ds-under-way

An approach that can be taken, especially for fans who know the game well, is to do an automated translation of the script, then work on cleaning it up.  Even patching in an automated translation can be helpful to know where certain things appear in game, and see them in context.  It also makes it easier to then search through the text for bad English rather than the original Japanese.  Also gives some idea about things like character width and space limitations, since most latin characters are more narrow than Japanese characters. (Looks like the font in DQ7 isn't fixed-width though, which makes it harder)

EDIT: 

An approach that can be taken, especially for fans who know the game well, is to do an automated translation of the script, then work on cleaning it up.  Even patching in an automated translation can be helpful to know where certain things appear in game, and see them in context.  It also makes it easier to then search through the text for bad English rather than the original Japanese.  Also gives some idea about things like character width and space limitations, since most latin characters are more narrow than Japanese characters. (Looks like the font in DQ7 isn't fixed-width though, which makes it harder)

This is what I'm working on today. I'm waiting on the ROM to finish compiling so I can test what I just did on my 3DS. Hopefully if what I did works so we can start getting things translated. One thing that seems limited by window width is Item names and system menu words. I know we could POSSIBLY expand windows, but that would require 3DS programming knowledge that I don't think I'm ready to explore. 

As for translators I already have a few people interested. I just need to sort through the messages to see who seems most reliable. 

If you can figure out Furigana in item names, and it allows you to put English in the furigana field, that really would help you out a lot.

And if that doesn't work, you could try inserting the icons from the PlayStation version into the font (Sword, Axe, Staff, Dagger, Hat, Tiara, Armor, Vest, Shield, Heart, Scroll, Castle, Fane, etc.) and shorten names using that. (In fact, if you end up needing to change the font entirely and the game uses TrueType, which I doubt but it's a possibility, you're welcome to my Dragon Warrior VII font which includes all icons. I could even remap them to different characters for you if need be.)

Worst case scenario, you could just abbreviate things. The item pictures should clear up any confusion.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

If you can figure out Furigana in item names, and it allows you to put English in the furigana field, that really would help you out a lot.

And if that doesn't work, you could try inserting the icons from the PlayStation version into the font (Sword, Axe, Staff, Dagger, Hat, Tiara, Armor, Vest, Shield, Heart, Scroll, Castle, Fane, etc.) and shorten names using that.

Worst case scenario, you could just abbreviate things. The item pictures should clear up any confusion.

Sadly the furigana doesn't work in the system menus / item menus. I tried that with "Attack Power" and it just showed "Power". I want to try and NOT abbreviate. But I might have to on some items. "Anchovy Sandwich" might need to be shortened to "Anchovy Sand.". Thankfully the game has two entries for items, I think one is when you find the item it shows up in the dialogue box and the other is in the item menus. So the menu one can be shortened while the other is the full length. This will be great for items like 'Mysterious Yellow Lithograph' which is way to long for the menus. 

I was thinking the same thing with the Fish Sub...lol.

The translation doesn't have to be 100% literal either.  For instance, we can easily drop the "Mysterious" part on the Lithograph as it doesn't really add anything.  The biggest debate will be, should we use Frizz or Blaze...

Ha ha, thankfully we can do two patches and change it to either one. =) Find and replace makes life easier. Right now I have them as "Frizz" and so forth since that was what the other remakes had. 

But, I will NOT do Fish Sub... no no no no. 

Go healthier, Fish Wrap :)

• Upvote 1

Just got wind of this, awesome stuff! Cain looks like you've already done most of the romhacking legwork but if you need anymore help figuring something out just let me know. I'd love to help if I can. I was working on Square No Tom Sawyer but I talked to someone that had previously worked on it and they were planning on finising it so I need a new project :)

There's still a lot to do yet. I'll try and find some time this weekend to write some tools to make editing the text easier. We might have a character limit problem, but we won't know until I have some tools working.

There's still a lot to do yet. I'll try and find some time this weekend to write some tools to make editing the text easier. We might have a character limit problem, but we won't know until I have some tools working.

Someone is already making a fan translation.

Read the thread before posting.

Someone is already making a fan translation.

Read the thread before posting.

You don't need to get all upset about it.

My mistake.

Edited by Mr. RPG

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a d**k. I'm just getting tired and that point where I tend to sound grouchy Evan though I'm not. I should get some sleep, I *might* have a *casual* date tomorrow.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a d**k. I'm just getting tired and that point where I tend to sound grouchy Evan though I'm not. I should get some sleep, I *might* have a *casual* date tomorrow.

Good luck on your date then. :P

It's all good.