Sign in to follow this  
Cain

Translation Project

I'm sure someone will make a patch that switches the music back to the orchestra.  

You'd just need to get homebrew setup in that case. Which is very easy.

It's just too bad the firmware in my New Nintendo 3DS is too high.

I'm sure someone will make a patch that switches the music back to the orchestra.  

You'd just need to get homebrew setup in that case. Which is very easy.

It's just too bad the firmware in my New Nintendo 3DS is too high.

https://imgflip.com/i/198onm

• Upvote 1

You sure? Last I heard the latest firmware ran homebrew just fine.

Your link says that I need my firmware to be between 4.1 and 9.2 without A9LH (which I don't have at the moment).

Edit: It seems very recent that Homebrew works on the New Nintendo 3DS on the 11.0.0-33U firmware.

Edited by Dakhil

1111.0.0-33u is downgradable, but it looks very complicated. Apparently it's going to get easier pretty soon though.

Well, I managed to have access to Homebrew via Browserhax on my New Nintendo 3DS without too much problem.

Edited by Dakhil

Now just play the waiting game!

Or play around with a few patches. I know Pokemon had a couple that changes the dialogue and difficulty a bit.

Well, I managed to have access to Homebrew via Browserhax on my New Nintendo 3DS without too much problem.

Now just play the waiting game!

Or play around with a few patches. I know Pokemon had a couple that changes the dialogue and difficulty a bit.

Indeed. I guess we'll see if we can change the music without corrupting the game (if that made any sense).

Just menuhax isn't enough, you'll need the arm9loaderhax to use modified game files. That's the tricky part right now.

Really? Hmm...

I just wanted to see how this was coming along? I want to try translating DQ VII for iOS and see if I can use the files from the english 3DS version and replace them in the iOS version. I don't have a 3DS though- do I need to have a decrypted 3DS rom? or can any rom be extracted? 

The English script won't fully work in the iOS version, the format for some files was modified to fit English grammar. Thankfully, the iOS version's files can easily be edited if you've got a Jailbroken device. I've been working on a patch myself.

The English script won't fully work in the iOS version, the format for some files was modified to fit English grammar. Thankfully, the iOS version's files can easily be edited if you've got a Jailbroken device. I've been working on a patch myself.

So do you think, like Mettool, that most, if not all of the lag is based on the altered files for language format code, and the loading of that code like being a workaround, or just not enough time to streamline the code to reduce lag in time for release?

I haven't run into any lag at all in the English or Japanese versions. I've played both on cart and installed, with no lag. (English official cart and eshop download, Japanese from flashcart and converted .3DS->.CIA.) However, I've only played the English version on *new* 3DS with the L2 clock hack enabled (uses new 3DS clock speed on standard 3DS games).

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Cool. But how can I extract the files from a 3ds rom without having a 3ds?

The short answer: You can't.

The long answer: Please don't pirate the game. I'm not even sure if you can do it with a pirated copy without a 3DS to decrypt. The English release uses Nintendo's new encryption (the Japanese version used an older encryption method). It was a pain for me to extract the files in the first place, and for some reason I can't rebuild the files into a working .3DS (cartridge rom) or .CIA (installable game package). One time I actually got it to rebuild, but it wouldn't install. (Not that rebuilding the .3DS or .CIA has anything to do with the iOS version, just pointing out that the new encryption method is a pain.) Regardless of the encryption method though, a 3DS family system is required to decrypt, so your rom would need to be decrypted already which, from what I've read, is rare.

Just menuhax isn't enough, you'll need the arm9loaderhax to use modified game files. That's the tricky part right now.

Actually, you don't need arm9loaderhax.  I've gone as far as getting emuNand set up then use an NTR plugin running within Luma to patch the orchestrated files in.  Another benefit to NTR is I can force the 800MHz cpu speed which gets rid of the menu lag along with most of the frame rate drops.

I did fine a version with the symphonic tracks inserted back in, it's named "Dragon Quest 7 US - UNDUB - SYMPHONIC"

Anyway the main reason I am posting is to say I seriously tried giving it a chance. The dialogue to start was OK. Using Pilchard instead of fish wasn't too bad, though it was beaten to death. I did get annoyed at the overuse of kipper, wta is that? The Scottish accent wasn't too bad either, it seemed to fit well.

Then I got to the town formerly known as "Dialac" and things just went to hell. The dialogue was so thick with a fake germanic accent that I had to strain my mind to understand what was being said. Before I tried to annoy the other party members by ignoring instructions for what I should do next and just chatting with all the NPCs, but now it seemed like a chore.

Enough was enough, so I am making an extractor/inserter so I can put in the PS version of the translation where available. While the Playstation translation admittedly has errors due to the size, time constraints (and money?) but out of all the localization before and after it seemed like the best mix of keeping the original power of the story while having some localizing. I will have to adjust some of the names that were shortened due to coding limitations and maybe run a spell checker on it too.

I already have a FPT extractor which is step one. So I do have a full script dump but I'm assuming either I gave out the script or someone else made an extractor. Step two is I need to match the English version with the Japanese text in Eden no Senshitachi 3DS. Having some issues tracking the 3DS Japanese version down though. Step 3/4 I think is already done, match the PS version English and Japanese. Then step 5 is to match the Japanese in both the PS and 3DS and replace the English in the 3DS version with the associated English in the PS version.Usually there is very little change in the Japanese versions so unless it's a new added feature it should match up nicely. Then of course there's cleanup and menus and tag differences etc, but that's not so hard.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, some of the writing in the 3DS English script is pretty good, I think it just needs to be de-accented. And the weird interjections in other languages needs to go away entirely. Grondal is a terrible offender.

As for names, they didn't do too bad in this version, but the Pilchard thing was really annoying. Ballymolloy was another bad name change. They should have kept Rexwood, or changed it to Parnellwood. (In Japanese, Rex was named Palena, and Rexwood was Woodopalena. Parnell was the closest male name I could think of that sounded right in English.) Hank should be Hank - where'd Hanlon come from?

Oh yeah sure, I really wanted to be careful in my criticism. If I has a volunteer to de-accent the script and also target some of the place changes I wouldn't mind that. Though otherwise the PS version is already done and it's something I can do with minimal assistance.

Hmmm, who could possibly help with that sorta localization. :lrsmile:

Honestly, some of the writing in the 3DS English script is pretty good, I think it just needs to be de-accented. And the weird interjections in other languages needs to go away entirely. Grondal is a terrible offender.

As for names, they didn't do too bad in this version, but the Pilchard thing was really annoying. Ballymolloy was another bad name change. They should have kept Rexwood, or changed it to Parnellwood. (In Japanese, Rex was named Palena, and Rexwood was Woodopalena. Parnell was the closest male name I could think of that sounded right in English.) Hank should be Hank - where'd Hanlon come from?

If I only had more free time...

Hmm, if I knew how to make it easy to work together using an Android app probably could get a lot of assistance. Kids these days always on their phones!

Also looks like there was some typo correction in the 3ds version. Not too big of a deal though.

ã“ã®ã‹ã£ã“ã†ã€€ã‚ãã¡ã‚ƒã£ãŸãªâ€¦[Line]{MALIBELL}ã¯ã€€æ€ã£ãŸã€‚[Line]
<FF20> thought about[NL]changing outfits.<FF0B>    
ã“ã®ã‹ã£ã“ã†ã€€ã‚ãã¡ã‚ƒã£ãŸãªâ€¦â€¦ã¨[Line]{MALIBELL}ã¯ã€€æ€ã£ãŸã€‚[Line]
#9999[Line]She realises she's had enough of her current look, and decides it's time for something new.[Line]

If I only had more free time...