Sign in to follow this  
Cain

Translation Project

It's sad to see ungrateful people gloating over this. Saying things like you guys had it coming by inserting the PS1 script. Doing the best with the resources you have isn't lazy. Here's with Enix's former product manager had to say about VII's script.

I wish I had taken a picture of how much text was in that game- If I remember correctly it was something like 120 3 inch, 3 ring binders full of paper. That is an enormous amount of text.

If you're fluent in Japanese and want to translate, localize, and proofread a script the size of a novel or two, awesome. Happy to have you! If you can't, then please don't knock the people taking time out of their day trying their best to make people happy.

Edited by Dwaine
  • Upvote 1

Square Enix likely has a legal team whose only job is to monitor their intellectual properties.  I doubt cease and desist has much to do with any ongoing development projects.  That's not to say that they couldn't still release Dragon Quest VII, but I wouldn't think those departments are working in collaboration.

Square Enix likely has a legal team whose only job is to monitor their intellectual properties. I doubt cease and desist has much to do with any ongoing development projects. That's not to say that they couldn't still release Dragon Quest VII, but I wouldn't think those departments are working in collaboration.

No doubt they have a legal department that keeps an eye out for stuff like this. However, I believe they look at each fan translation on a case by case basis. How else could you explain that some games get a C&D while others don't? Furthermore, people really need to get over the hate for using the original script where we could. Copyright infringement is just that, regardless how it's done.

Problem is, they're legendary at being lax when it comes to enforcing their IPs. They exhibit at cons where dealers sell high priced keyblades and Final Fantasy swords for hundreds of dollars. They don't shut them down.

Problem is, they're legendary at being lax when it comes to enforcing their IPs. They exhibit at cons where dealers sell high priced keyblades and Final Fantasy swords for hundreds of dollars. They don't shut them down.

Which then go on to appear in Kingdom Hearts scene recreation videos filmed in parking lots. Why WOULD YOU try to stop that from happening?

For the good of society.

• Upvote 2

Cain, I love your work on SaGa 3 and am so thankful you did that one. I really wanted to play both of those SaGa games when I first heard of em. FF Legend was my childhood!

Cain, I love your work on SaGa 3 and am so thankful you did that one. I really wanted to play both of those SaGa games when I first heard of em. FF Legend was my childhood!

Thanks. The credit goes to Easton and Cid. I did mostly testing once we got updated versions of the tools used for SaGa 2. There's still a few things that need fixing, but it's completely playable. FFL3 was one of my favourite games as a kid and I'm glad this game got remade into more of a SaGa system.

Am I missing something?  Who's talking smack about using the original DQ7 script?  I haven't really been following the translation, but I was hoping that as much of the original script as possible was going to get used to speed up the process. 

I find this whole situation interesting, because I'm sure a fan translation would qualify as modding.  This is not an illegal act, even to distribute as a patch (side note, cease and desists do not imply a legal high ground).  The length that some companies have gone to prevent the modification of their games is borderline insanity (outside of the obvious multiplayer games).

Anyway, I think you made the right decision to stop.  They went out of their way to ask you to, and this can really only be a good sign.  I doubt it's because the original script was being used, although this does present a legal gray area.  It's the same game, and it isn't modifying the content of the game text beyond changing the language it is in.  Square does own the translation, but it would be impossible to claim damages.  Further, not releasing the game and denying a translation for people who don't read their language can also be seen as xenophobic.

Wow!  Not only did I not know that SaGa 2&3 had NDS remakes, but I certainly didn't know there were translations.  I loved FF Legends 1&2 when I was younger, but never had a chance to try part 3.  I've already tried out SaGa 2 and it's just like I remember, except with updated graphics.

I find this whole situation interesting, because I'm sure a fan translation would qualify as modding.  This is not an illegal act, even to distribute as a patch (side note, cease and desists do not imply a legal high ground).  The length that some companies have gone to prevent the modification of their games is borderline insanity (outside of the obvious multiplayer games).

Anyway, I think you made the right decision to stop.  They went out of their way to ask you to, and this can really only be a good sign.  I doubt it's because the original script was being used, although this does present a legal gray area.  It's the same game, and it isn't modifying the content of the game text beyond changing the language it is in.  Square does own the translation, but it would be impossible to claim damages.  Further, not releasing the game and denying a translation for people who don't read their language can also be seen as xenophobic.

But you have to remember that any company is in their rights to protect the integrity of their intellectual properties. They are not required to demonstrate damages to exert legal control over their IP, including any additions or alterations that could devalue the property in any perceptible way. All they would have to argue is that somebody is mucking around, half-assing their IP, and they'd be right - whether they're right or not. And there is NO legal 'gray area' about wholesale duplicating the translation of Dragon Warrior VII - that is flat-out illegal, just as surely as lifting the complete text from a book and putting it into another book, for ANY reason, other than by the owner of said text. Otherwise, what's to keep me from taking the entirety of a text of a novel or screenplay, duplicating it in it's entirety, and giving it away for free?

All that said, no, I don't think a 15-year old translation text was the deciding factor in this order being issued, but a FRESH translation would fall closer to the definition of modding than lifting a copyrighted text. Nor do I believe the order was a knee-jerk response. There have been many fan works over the years that Square (or Enix) has turned a blind eye to, with several very high-profile exceptions - which, due to their high-profile nature, were almost begging to be targeted... the ones that come to mind were A) the Chrono debacle - where the guys tried to take the game to E3 for crying out loud, and B) the FF Type 0 fiasco, which SE was already working on translating and hadn't made the announcement yet. In both cases, allowing the fan works to continue WOULD have potentially impacted revenue and value of future products from the company, because the 'Chrono Break' thing was still floating around back then - imagine if there was one 'official' Chrono sequel, and one 'unofficial' Chrono sequel, and how that could have impacted the brand's financial success!

My point is, Square Enix seems historically to get involved in this kind of stuff only when there's a danger of competition for future, or potential, official releases.

There IS a reason this order was issued, other than simple IP protection, in my opinion.

Edited by Omegaplex

But you have to remember that any company is in their rights to protect the integrity of their intellectual properties. They are not required to demonstrate damages to exert legal control over their IP, including any additions or alterations that could devalue the property in any perceptible way. All they would have to argue is that somebody is mucking around, half-assing their IP, and they'd be right - whether they're right or not. And there is NO legal 'gray area' about wholesale duplicating the translation of Dragon Warrior VII - that is flat-out illegal, just as surely as lifting the complete text from a book and putting it into another book, for ANY reason, other than by the owner of said text. Otherwise, what's to keep me from taking the entirety of a text of a novel or screenplay, duplicating it in it's entirety, and giving it away for free?

All that said, no, I don't think a 15-year old translation text was the deciding factor in this order being issued, but a FRESH translation would fall closer to the definition of modding than lifting a copyrighted text. Nor do I believe the order was a knee-jerk response. There have been many fan works over the years that Square (or Enix) has turned a blind eye to, with several very high-profile exceptions - which, due to their high-profile nature, were almost begging to be targeted... the ones that come to mind were A) the Chrono debacle - where the guys tried to take the game to E3 for crying out loud, and B) the FF Type 0 fiasco, which SE was already working on translating and hadn't made the announcement yet. In both cases, allowing the fan works to continue WOULD have potentially impacted revenue and value of future products from the company, because the 'Chrono Break' thing was still floating around back then - imagine if there was one 'official' Chrono sequel, and one 'unofficial' Chrono sequel, and how that could have impacted the brand's financial success!

My point is, Square Enix seems historically to get involved in this kind of stuff only when there's a danger of competition for future, or potential, official releases.

There IS a reason this order was issued, other than simple IP protection, in my opinion.

It's really up for the legal interpretation by a judge, but I don't think they would even have the platform to make a claim of protecting the integrity of their intellectual property.  If the translators were say, buying copies of the game and then selling the patched versions for normal MSRB, then yes, you could make that argument (note, the resale is not marked up in this example, because profiting from a mod would be illegal).  I know zero about applying a translation patch to a 3DS game, so I'm more picturing this from the point of view of a pc mod.  The user has to apply the patch themselves, which means the player is fully away of the modification.  The problem that Square Enix faces is that as a consumer product, there are limitations in regards to what they can and can't enforce in regards to IP protections.  Although, I've never seen a case like this go to court, so there is zero legal precedent as far as I know.

As for the use of the Dragon Warrior VII text, I do disagree with you, but only on the principle of a differing opinion on the situation.  To be fair, I don't know enough about IP and copyright laws in regards to products that have been remade, like a game.  I don't think IP laws apply to individual products at all, but rather to the content.  There is the argument that an English translation was not the content purchased in the Japanese version, so a user would have no right to view the English translation from Dragon Warrior VII... and translation texts do have their own weird copyright protections, but I have no idea if they would apply in this situation.  It's a ridiculous situation if you think about it though:  company A claims copyright infringement on third-party B for infringing on property C by appropriating content for property D (both property of A), in spite of the fact that C is no longer commercially on the market and consumer E must purchase D from A to apply the free service provided by B, D being useless to E without B's service.  AKA, negative damages.  Even if it was infringement, I'm sure a judge would think the company insane, moreso if they didn't intend to release the game here at all.

Edited by IvorEvilen

I really hope they don't wait too long to announce anything or make any statements regarding this because the fans deserve have some answers,real concrete answers non of this passive aggressive BS we've been getting fro them about this game for the last 2 years.I have to agree with the common consensus about Square being usually lax with their IP's  and that if they had no intentions for localizing and releasing this game in Western Markets than shutting down this fan effort makes no sense whatsoever and doesn't fit their actions in pass with the exception for certain Chrono Series related projects but as was stated elsewhere they had more reason and right to shut those down than they do here.

So the best reasons seems to be that they don't want the fan translation to be released because they don't it to compete with official release they plan to announce sometime in the future.It would be start to release some time this year and perhaps tie it in DQ Heroes,in hopes of expanding the market for DQ outside of Japan.This is a series that has no business being niche and it would be so if word actually got out there and people knew about it.I would emphasizes Armor Projects role in Chrono Trigger a beloved and very well known game in the West.Hell if they can localize and push Star Ocean which in my opinion is a way more niche series, and really known only by big JRPG fans,there is no excuse for their troubles with DQ. This wait with now news has nagging me in back of my head since this all came to light a couple of days ago.

Another bit about Square laxness in regards to their IP's can be found in regard to the Mod Project Deus Ex Revision which is complete overhaul of the gameworld of the Orignal Deus Ex for PC,greatly expanding and improving the games areas and even tying the world together with the Prequels Deus Ex Human Revolution and the upcoming Deus Ex Mankind Divided.The Dev team contacted Square Enix and said that they were very kind,supportive and helpful in making sure their would be no copyright issues involving the game.That seem to sound kind of like almost an unofficial blessing.This is mod project well beyond the scope of a translation effort and much more ripe for copyright issues and C&D's.

Hi everyone, I'm new here (well kinda) I joined a long while ago) but I am here on business. If there are any of you that have hacking/translating muscle you would still like to flex, I am interested in furthering the cause, I would like to get a partial translation for Terry's Wonderland 3DS. I am hijacking this thread in an effort to collect some of you who put your hard work into the DQVII translation only to be shut down. I appreciate your hard work. I would love it if you would help with another game in the series that is suffering the same fate. It would be short, to the point. I want the:

Menus
Skill/attack names (and possibily descriptions)

Monster names

translated for play-ability. Anything beyond that is extra and appreciated, but not part of the initial project scope. Please, I am desperate here, the original Dragon Warrior Monsters was and still is my favorite game of all time. A full 3D remake that I cant play and enjoy simply rots my soul. 

Link to the Project on GBAtemp: http://tinyurl.com/ozwfaxu

• Upvote 1

Nice job rallying the troops! I got a message a while ago that GBATemp is on Tapatalk now, so I gotta rejoin. I was on a lot back in the mid 2000s when I had a good G6 for my DS and could play some imports.

Nice job rallying the troops! I got a message a while ago that GBATemp is on Tapatalk now, so I gotta rejoin. I was on a lot back in the mid 2000s when I had a good G6 for my DS and could play some imports.

Thanks man, I think i got the ROM decrypted and I seem to need someone who can use a hex editor and adjusting text through BINJ files. If anyone could help out I would be eternally grateful <3

which, due to their high-profile nature, were almost begging to be targeted... the ones that come to mind were A) the Chrono debacle - where the guys tried to take the game to E3 for crying out loud

Oh, story time. Mind filling me in?

Maybe you could shift your resources towards a translation project for DRAGON QUEST VIII?

Maybe you could shift your resources towards a translation project for DRAGON QUEST VIII?

Yes. Do. Because the PS2 version was horrible and lacking.

And of course everyone &#036;#&#33;&amp;@es about the mobile version. I know I did the entire 80-90 hours I put into it. Horrible.

Yes, stop working on a game with incredible content we've never been able to play and focus all efforts on an unreleased version of a game we've already gotten twice.

Makes sense.

And of course everyone $#!&@es about the mobile version. I know I did the entire 80-90 hours I put into it. Horrible.

Yes, stop working on a game with incredible content we've never been able to play and focus all efforts on an unreleased version of a game we've already gotten twice.

Makes sense.

Well, there kind of was that C&D.  That said, didn't the original C&D request a halt to all potential 3DS DQ translations?

And of course everyone $#!&@es about the mobile version. I know I did the entire 80-90 hours I put into it. Horrible.

Makes sense.

You have 0 reason to be rude about it

Makes sense.

Well, there kind of was that C&D.  That said, didn't the original C&D request a halt to all potential 3DS DQ translations?

I only recall DQVII...but I can't say for sure

Makes sense.

You have 0 reason to be rude about it

Actually, I thought I clearly explained my reason. We don't need the one group out there working on a untranslated, unreleased in the US game, with the backing of a moderator of a quite successful forum to switch their focus to a 3rd version of a game we've received twice. Yep, that's the reason.

& Dude, that was sarcasm. Not rudeness. Haha, welcome to the Den, where 90% of what I say is in jest

Edited by Plattym3

I say, we could use a few translators over at Narubia Translations to help with DQX. Tim's been doing some of the technical work/testing for the online mode, and we may be able to start translating it soon.

Terry's Wonderland is just a remake of DWM1, and even though there are new features... DQX is a whole different game.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

The C&D was just for VII. We were silently working on Terry's Wonderland since the file format for the text is the same as DQMJP2, which we had pretty much figured out the compression. We dropped that one as well though. I'm not involved in any DQ translations projects at this time.