Sign in to follow this  
Cain

Translation Project

It's been, maybe a month? Maybe two? I'm not sure, I'm not the one who first noticed it.

He was converting it out of drupal or something and ran into an issue. He's been working on it apparently

Hi Tom,

I sent you a PM that contains... nothing in particular ;)

Hi Tom,

I sent you a PM that contains... nothing in particular ;)

Yup nothing to see here. :lrsmile:

Thanks Tom!

It has been nearly three months since I started translating Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS. In those months, Cain and Z6n4 have joined me and helped get most everything translated. As of right now we have fully translated:

Names:

•   Monster
  •   Class/Job
  •   Items
  •   Area/Floor
  •   Magic

Dialogue:

•   Shop (all)
  •   Church
  •   Dharma Temple
  •   Battle
  •   Mini-games
  •   Item descriptions

To speed up translating we have inserted the Playstation Dragon Warrior VII translation into the main story block. Right now we are currently cleaning that up and getting it formatted to fit the 3DS windows.

So what’s left? Other than editing the main story dialogue we need to edit the rest of the text that won’t fit into the windows properly, as well as translating a few other miscellaneous scripts.  We don't have any idea on when we will be done, but it's coming along. Screen shots will be posted in the coming days.

Edited by LonelyTV

Now the big question: have functioning 3DS flashcards become a reality?

Indeed they have.

It has been nearly three months since I started translating Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS. In those months, Cain and Z6n4 have joined me and helped get most everything translated. As of right now we have fully translated:

Names:

• Monster
  • Class/Job
  • Items
  • Area/Floor
  • Magic

Dialogue:

• Shop (all)
  • Church
  • Dharma Temple
  • Battle
  • Mini-games
  • Item descriptions

To speed up translating we have inserted the Playstation Dragon Warrior VII translation into the main story block. Right now we are currently cleaning that up and getting it formatted to fit the 3DS windows.

So what’s left? Other than editing the main story dialogue we need to edit the rest of the text that won’t fit into the windows properly, as well as translating a few other miscellaneous scripts. We don't have any idea on when we will be done, but it's coming along. Screen shots will be posted in the coming days.

That's... amazing news! Wow, excellent work, team!

Most of the credit goes to the others working on the project.  I haven't done a whole lot other than get the ball rolling.  Pretty exciting stuff for sure.  :)

A few months ago I asked the community here to help edit some of the scenario titles and it was a huge sucess. We need some help again with editing, this time it's the main storycertain dialouge. z64n and I don't have a ton of time on our hands, and are getting through with what we can but I really do expect that with the help of the community we can speed up the edits and hopefully get to play testing the game in the next few months.

Here is what is required:

The English script is already inserted into the 3DS script files, however there are multiple 'blocks' that need to be split up and/or checked for proper placement. You don't have to have any Japanese knowledge, nor knowledge of the game, all you need to know is how to find strings in a text file and edit text files. If you're interested you can contact me here on the forums either through PM or as a reply here.

Thanks again for all of your help and I hope we as a community we can get the rest of this game completed.

I have to publicly apologize that I haven't been as actively engaged in this project as I would have liked (side note, though, DQ X beta is pretty close by, finally).

I'm really happy to see how great this has been going!

Feel free to PM me if you think we might be able to programmatically automate some of this cleanup, which could hopefully take the tedium and time out of a lot of it.

Isn't some of the script in the 3DS release different? There have been some changes, such as the fairy guy that gives you hints about the puzzle pieces which wasn't in the original PS1 release.

Isn't some of the script in the 3DS release different? There have been some changes, such as the fairy guy that gives you hints about the puzzle pieces which wasn't in the original PS1 release.

Correct, and this would be something we would need to manually translate. However, the way the script is set up in the game everything is modular. So his script is in a seperate set of text files. So we have it isolated. The rest of the script is 1:1 the same (Japanese wise) from the PSX game, give or take some kanji and names at the start of the dialouge. 

There really wasn't a ton of new text added in the game, thankfully.

Edited by LonelyTV

Yes.  The one everyone uses is called the Gateway.

Huh? Gateway's been out a few years now. You need a 3DS with firmware 9.2 or under to run it is the main thing.

Sky3DS is also quite popular now, though I don't know if that one is able to run something like a translation patched game or not (it's more limited in features than the Gateway). I don't believe it's been blocked on post 9.2 firmware (YET!).

Edited by tbb033

Yes and an other option has become available which makes falshcards a bit obsolete.

Huh? Gateway's been out a few years now. You need a 3DS with firmware 9.2 or under to run it is the main thing.

Sky3DS is also quite popular now, though I don't know if that one is able to run something like a translation patched game or not (it's more limited in features than the Gateway). I don't believe it's been blocked on post 9.2 firmware (YET!).

Sky3ds is rather limited in what it can do on its own. http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Flashcart_Comparison

Yes and an other option has become available which makes falshcards a bit obsolete.

Which is...?

Which is...?

It's called Pasta CFW.

Which is...?

It's called Pasta CFW.

...Which is?

You also can use the NTR custom firmware with the Layered FS plugin.

What it does is allow you to use a retail cartridge (on any region 3DS) and 'inject' the translated files into the game. Essentially it loads the translated files into memory and redirects the game to those instead of the ones located on the cartridge.

Which is...?

It's called Pasta CFW.

...Which is?

It's kinda a Custom Firmware for 3DS that disables signature checks.