Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

It's official: We're screwed.

It's a MMORPG. My logic doesn't have to be your logic.

In this, we agree.

It may feel as the other games, but going online they could be their own series (or only game, but I would rather have it out of the numbered ones).

I don't agree.  Just because it's online doesn't mean it shouldn't it should be ruled as a spin off.  If that were the case, IX shouldn't have been numbered either.  

The game play is pretty much exactly the same as every dragon quest.  Yeah, there are MMO flourishes in that it takes longer to grind for XP and money, and you can walk around in battle.  But the menus are the same, and the story is just as prevalent as before

DQIX isn't a MMORPG. It just has multiplayer elements.

No. You have to do multiplayer in a local setting.

Four people altogether isn't massive, while X can have tens upon tens in the same area, that's massive.

X is a MMORPG. There is no real offline element to the game, excepting some kind of tutorial.

IX is a RPG with multiplayer elements.

X is a MMORPG. There is no real offline element to the game, excepting some kind of tutorial.

IX is a RPG with multiplayer elements.

There is an entire offline story you can play.

... I've read on here, and several places, the offline part is only an hour or so long, and that's it.

DQX is a MMORPG. DQIX is not. End of $#!&ing story, so sayeth The Villager.

Source as well? The pretty nice FAQ for the offline campaign, provided by Cranberry. There is an extended mode, but it doesn't seem to be much longer. You also don't get to play as your original PC during that part. So... THE VILLAGER WINS.

Edited by Ryu the Villager

regardless of whether or not it's online game or not, it's still an RPG.  It's just in a different subgenre.  structure wise, it's pretty much plays just like DQIX if you left the multiplayer portal on and thousands of people running around.  Chances are, you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between this and DQVIII if it weren't for the fact there were other people playing in tandem with you.

Tons of games have had genre shifts and are still considered part of their main series.  This genre shift isn't nearly as impactful as some of the shifts that have occured in the past.  I mean, hell.  There is more in common between Dragon Quest 1 and Dragon Quest X then there is between Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 10 or 13 and the FFs are still technically within the same genre

Edited by Megalosaro

Meh, that part of the discussion is over with. I'm more miffed people are actually considering DQIX a MMORPG when it clearly is not.

Four people altogether isn't massive, while X can have tens upon tens in the same area, that's massive.

Tens upon tens = massive?  Do you live in a small town?  :overjoyed2:

Maybe he means impressive? I mean, for a game running off servers maintained by Square Enix (which I guess they have not done something like hosting multiple players in one section of a world in high quatities in real time in another game series they have created or released) or Nintendo (who have done so, but more of set match up and controlled situations), it is surprising.

So what would you call DQX? Yeah it is not a MMORPG, but it seems as a hybrid/alternative/evolution.

Someone must've made a contribution to the church, cause this topic has been revived!

• Upvote 2

Kazing!

Kerplunk.