Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

It's official: We're screwed.

O_o The guy at EB games I guess just lumped 'em together. I don't remember having a problem.

I think what's the most frustrating is the lack of comments from either Square Enix or Nintendo regarding the series' presence in the west.  An acknowledgement would be nice.  I can understand why they would find it risky to bring X over.  How many people realistically do you think would pay a monthly fee for it here, outside of a few of the superfans?  Even if it were free, like Capcom did when they brought Monster Hunter Tri here, I still don't think it would draw much of an audience.  The 3DS titles on the other hand, SHOULD be coming out here, all three of them!  I LOVED Rocket Slime, and I thought it sold okay for what it was.  Why the silence?  Did Joker 2 really bomb or something?

While I like my DS cart, I wasn't going to buy a 3DS cart since it's so much easier to buy games digitally.  I may have to pick one up 5 years down the road when someone better than me makes a fan translation of DQVII at this rate.  Very sad...

Monster Hunter Tri's online services were not MMO-quality. It would be VERY risky to bring X over. Beyond localization costs, they'd have to pay for English-based GMs, tech support staff, and then the server infrastructure for a large country. Japan is small in the long scheme of things on that.

Monster Hunter Tri is not a MMORPG. Dragon Quest X is. That means they'd have to sink some serious money to get it going here. Sure, they have the capital here, but with the current Wii U base, and the overall EXTREMELY SATURATED MMORPG market? I know I'd rather just go play... Let's say Grand Fantasia over DQX if I didn't know the series or wasn't a fan. People are gonna see it as "I gotta pay $50-60 for this game, AND pay to play it online! Nope. Guild Wars 2 is a better deal, or Diablo 3, or anything else."

We're all on these boards because we -love- Dragon Quest and would love nothing more to see every final niche title here. (( I am suprised that this Dragon Quest 1 iOS port hasn't made it stateside, they have official localizations they can just plop in. )) But Square Enix (( And Nintendo on that )) are multinational corporate giants who have to make sound business decisions, and in my opinion, as a buisness owner myself? Another MMORPG, on a game console at that, isn't going to work too well. I know I'm not too keen on sitting in my livingroom with both a Wii U gamepad AND a keyboard. I did that with PSO. It got boring. 

But Square Enix are multinational corporate giants who have to make sound business decisions

They haven't been doing that for years. Why start now!

Seriously, though. I was astounded by how many stupid and lazy people worked there. Only in LA, I guess. It's unfortunate when layoffs happen, but some of those people should've been kicked to the curb years ago.

• Upvote 2

... :P

We weren't going to see a console MMO here. Period. FFXI kind of bombed on the PS2, and so did the other ones.

FF11 bombed?  Yeah, uh, tell that to Square Enix, since it's the most profitable thing their company has ever done.

It had good sales, even on the PS2.  Yeah, compared to WOW it's sales were iffy, but WOW was years later.  The major problem for the PS2 version was people wanting to buy it but unable to due to no broadband / HDD adapter -- same problem as PSO back in the day.

I do wonder if (when) we're getting a PC port of DQX.  Maybe that's when we'll get a localization.  :(

I really wanted Terry's Wonderland the most, though.  I have happy memories of sitting at college, on progressively upgraded Gameboys (Original, Pocket, Color, Advanced...) wandering around dungeons without a clue about what I was doing, wasting my life away.  Sigh.

But Square Enix are multinational corporate giants who have to make sound business decisions

They haven't been doing that for years. Why start now!

Seriously, though. I was astounded by how many stupid and lazy people worked there. Only in LA, I guess. It's unfortunate when layoffs happen, but some of those people should've been kicked to the curb years ago.

I have a feeling it's the same enclosed ecosystem that's plaguing the Japanese side of things.  Yes, you may be an idiot, but firing you for that means the bosses that fired you look bad, so you get to stay and collect a paycheck while the intelligent people try to work around you.

Kitase, the Not-Akira Toriyama, and Nomura -- the three stooges -- if they'd just go the hell away, they might be able to salvage the FF side of things in a few years.  Pity that won't happen until the company is out of resources.

So this master list, will it be on the e3.nintendo.com site, or somewhere else?

FFXI sold well enough to keep interest in the title, but it was PC-focused.

Hi. Don't post here too often, but wanted to share my $.02.

I am disappointed at the lack of Dragon Quest announcements at e3 (so far). What's really frustrating to me is the 3DS games. The US has had 3DS games like Theaterhythm and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. Now it is getting 2 Etrian Odyssey games within months of each other, and games like Rune Factory 4 and Project X Zone.

These are some super niche games. They cannot possibly be bringing in big sales, any of them. But aside from the FF game, they are not published by Square Enix and that is what is frustrating. I feel another company would jump at the chance to localize them.

I loved the resurgance of the DQ series on DS, and bought a 3DS partially assuming more DQ games would be coming out for it.

Hopefully you guys are right and there is still a chance to see DQ VII and DQM. Would love DQX also but totally see the points about why it wouldn't work here.

Edited by Thany

We won't get Terry this year. 

And to be honest, Project X Zone is ANYTHING BUT A NICHE TITLE. The "X Zone" series are super-crossovers that are super-awesome. It's wonderful we're getting a title like it.

And Rune Factory 4 is a pretty good game. :)

We won't get Terry this year. 

Oh really? There's always this year's end-of-conference list, so there's still a chance of Terry being shown on it.

Though if the list doesn't show TW3D, then we're now officially screwed.

Edited by Koyuki and Dororo

I'd love to help out with a fan translation of VII for 3DS. It's by far my favourite in the series. I'm not sure what the hacking scene is like for the 3DS but I'll check it out. Are there even any emulators at this point? We'd also have to get our hands on a ROM...google's not giving me much.

Edited by Cain

There are romdumps, but as of yet, no working flashcart. And I never trusted 3DS emulation, too many touch-y games.

Haven't people in the Terry's Wonderland 3D thread been saying that since pre-E3 last year? Either stop saying it and wait or just give it up, my friend. :P

DQ9 was a success over here, 10 would be a risky move so I could understand not bringing it over. I'm unaware of the success of 7 so I won't comment on DQ7 3DS. As for the Monsters series, weren't Joker 2's sales abysmal over here? As in about 60k as of this year? I like the Monsters series and we may very well be surprised, but those sales just don't warrant more localizations a business standpoint.

Edited by Spikan

There's still a trickle of hope.  Word is there will be 2 more Nintendo Directs this weekend...

Bear in mind: the Japanese version of DQX for WiiU, (let's be realistic, if we get a version of DQX it will likely be the WiiU one), came out just this past march.

It took over a year between the Japanese and US versions of DQ7, just about a year between Japanese & US versions of DQ8, and a year between the Japan and US releases of DQ9.

Also, you forget that we just got a US release of an Itadaki Street (Fortune Street) game.  Before that was anounced I didn't think we had a snowball's chance of ever seeing a US release of any game from that series.  If they're willing to bother with Itadaki Street, I'm sure they'll continue to release actual Dragon Quest games.

Edited by ErdrickVII
  • Upvote 1

I'm sure as long as Square lasts (new Kingdom Hearts always helps sales) we'll EVENTUALLY get it.

The US has had 3DS games like Theaterhythm and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. Now it is getting 2 Etrian Odyssey games within months of each other, and games like Rune Factory 4 and Project X Zone.

2 Etrian Odyssey games? I just ordered EO4. What else is coming?

And Rune Factory 4 is a pretty good game. :)

Pre-ordered and excited. Hoping my baby doesn't come too early nor my new job begin in July!

Haven't people in the Terry's Wonderland 3D thread been saying that since pre-E3 last year? Either stop saying it and wait or just give it up, my friend. :P

Okay, I'll be aware that I'm supposed to shut up about it and wait.

There's still a trickle of hope.  Word is there will be 2 more Nintendo Directs this weekend...

Nah, son.

The show is happening now. Nintendo puts out their big list with all their press material. If it's not on the list, and if it's not in the booth, then it ain't happening. The two additional Nintendo Directs will probably be similar to the seperate 3DS press conferance they had last year where they talked more in-depth about games that were already announced.

As for the Monsters series, weren't Joker 2's sales abysmal over here?

It's tough to say. Sometimes people read straight numbers and make that call, but we don't know if the company considers it a success via their own projections. (For example, produced 100k, sold 70k, so that's 70% of the run, how much of that was profit, how much was marketing, etc.) Joker 2 is an interesting story in itself.

We are screwed.

Yes, you as well, Trunks! No need to get all hopeless and act like we're all screwed! There's always the end-of-E3 master list!

DQ9 was a success over here, 10 would be a risky move so I could understand not bringing it over. I'm unaware of the success of 7 so I won't comment on DQ7 3DS. As for the Monsters series, weren't Joker 2's sales abysmal over here? As in about 60k as of this year? I like the Monsters series and we may very well be surprised, but those sales just don't warrant more localizations a business standpoint.

Did DQMJ2 have any marketing at all?  Literally, I don't recall anything other than the website.

If we had gotten the Pro version and they had played up the online competitiveness of it?  Might have been a different story.

So if it's not on this list, we're not getting it (this year, at least).

Has anyone seen the list?

The US has had 3DS games like Theaterhythm and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. Now it is getting 2 Etrian Odyssey games within months of each other, and games like Rune Factory 4 and Project X Zone.

2 Etrian Odyssey games? I just ordered EO4. What else is coming?

There's "EO 5" (EO Millennium Girl?) and another title that may be EO:MG's localized name, or is a remake of EO1 that was kinda halfway announced.

Edit: Yeah, localized name. Etrian Odyssey Untold: Millennium Girl. Has a story focus with characters instead of generics. Forgoes a strict class system in lieu of a skill system. Has a complete remake of EO1 inside, using this new classless system.

Edited by KiTA

I am hoping to see something.  Me and Sai are both going nuts over FFXV at least, and the FFXIV trailer looks awesome, putting in a Buster Sword Omnislash Limit Break to be used by melee classes.  Smash Bros looks awesome and I love the Megaman trailer for it.

But...I really need DQX to play on Wii-U while I do boring stuff in FFXIV like crafting/gathering.  Though that Xenoblade 2 online game looks good and thats for the Wii-U...

I don't mean to act the pessimist, but we're not getting anymore Dragon Quest games for a while. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

They are still adding games to the E3 page so I don't think they announced every game that they are planning on releasing in the E3 Nintendo Direct.