If you are a Pokemon fan, you have probably heard of the Nuzlocke Challenge.  If not, here are the rules:

1. If a Pokemon faints, release it.

2. Catch the first Pokemon in each area, and nothing else.

So I was thinking: What would happen if I applied the same rules to Dragon Quest IX?  I came up with this:

1. If a party member (besides the hero) dies, remove them from your team.

2. When creating a new party member, roll a 6-sided die.  1=Warrior, 2=Martial Artist, etc.  Duplicates can be re-rolled.

Thanks for reading!  Never give up, never forget, and grind like hell (Nuzlocke reference).

That sounds like it'd be more irritating than hard, especially if it was a late-game death and you'd have to go through the motions of leveling up a character from scratch. And then THEY died during that, probably to something lame, too, like a crit or instant-death attack during an ambush.

IX is really a game where you make the difficulty yourself, so if one wants it to be 'hard' they just have to limit what they do. Minimal leveling, using subpar equipment, not having a full team, etc, etc. Punishing yourself for a character death feels like it'd be taking things too far, though, more so when considering that getting owned is something that's apparently supposed to happen frequently in these games (heck, I think IX has accolades for how many times you had to be brought back at the church).

• Upvote 1

Now that you mention it, the leveling is pretty extremely slow.  I remember how long it took me to beat Corvus my first run...

That sounds like it'd be more irritating than hard, especially if it was a late-game death and you'd have to go through the motions of leveling up a character from scratch. And then THEY died during that, probably to something lame, too, like a crit or instant-death attack during an ambush.

IX is really a game where you make the difficulty yourself, so if one wants it to be 'hard' they just have to limit what they do. Minimal leveling, using subpar equipment, not having a full team, etc, etc. Punishing yourself for a character death feels like it'd be taking things too far, though, more so when considering that getting owned is something that's apparently supposed to happen frequently in these games (heck, I think IX has accolades for how many times you had to be brought back at the church).