I've just received my copies of IV and V, (already done VI) and was wondering which one to do properly first! I've gotten up to the

ghost manor

in V, and was thinking maybe I should stop while I'm ahead, otherwise I'd ruin IV with high expectations! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

They are both such amazing games for such different reasons. Honestly you won't be disappointed by either. IV will draw you in with all the cool characters & their stories.

V will draw you in with the overarching storyline and the monster recruiting.

Neither will ruin the other. You're OK playing V now.

I personally liked V more than IV, but both are very good. I won't spoil anything, but IV does have some story elements that V doesn't and vice versa. All I can say for V is, have some tissues handy.

I liked IV better myself, but since the English version lacks the party chat it is hard to recommend it. But as it comes before V both in storyline and release, I recommend you play it first.

Neither story has much to do with the other, besides the fact that there is Zenithia. (Though a couple of books you can find in V will mention events in IV.) Technically though, IV comes first chronologically, so I would play it first because that's the intended order.

I would say V is a higher quality game, in all areas. IV is great too, don't get me wrong, I just love V so much! (I may be biased considering V is the second DQ game I ever beat, and the first I beat without help from someone else. It holds a special place in my gaming memories.)

That's funny, because for me, V was shorter than IV. And if I had to recommend which to play first, I'd have to say V. The story is better and I love the monster recruitment. Plus, since you are already playing V, you might as well keep going with it.

Alright, I'll continue playing V. Thanks a lot guys!

RIP Hero's Dad

If you 'liked' that part, then you'll 'love' the later parts when you fight Kon, Slon, and Ladja :P

I see you have decided, but anyway, here's what I think. If they are the DS versions, I would suggest playing IV first. Once you play a game with the party chat, you may automatically try to bring it up on IV, only to be reminded it is not there.

That did bug me. Technically I started IV first, but lost it, then played V, after I beat V I looked around for IV and finished it.

I've noticed that even though they use the same graphics engines (I think) VI looks a lot "crisper" or "cleaner" than IV or V.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should have started with IV, but don't stop playing V if you have started. I know the start of V is a little slow, but trust me it picks up really quick and is probally the most Epic story line of all the Dragon Quest games IMO.

Oh and yeas sucks that party chat wasn't translated for the english release. Also I have a question. Did VI have all the party chat translated? Because the party chat in VI seems kinda limited.

V.

I think V is the second most epic. To me, the #1 most epic was VII.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a Nintendo 3DS because of DQVII so I decided to play the Zenithia trilogy in the right order: VI, IV, V. I'm currently playing IV. I think you should play IV first. 

• 11 months later...

Buy 6 first, then play 4, then play 5. I honestly prefer the japanese snes version of 6 though 

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee
  • 3 months later...

I started playing V, I'm around level 22. The whole game so far is amazing; the story and the characters are really emotive. This is shaping to be one of my favorite RPGs of all time

Edited by wiregu
  • Upvote 1

I started playing V, I'm around level 22. The whole game so far is amazing; the story and the characters are really emotive. This is shaping to be one of my favorite RPGs of all time

You won't get any argument from me. Or most of the Den.

Honestly, there is almost little to no connection with the three games other than they are the same trilogy from what my impression is.  So if you play them out of order I don't think that's going to ruin the story or anything.

Honestly, there is almost little to no connection with the three games other than they are the same trilogy from what my impression is.  So if you play them out of order I don't think that's going to ruin the story or anything.

There is a huge connection

DQVI: Was long before Erdrick, Malroth, Abel, Parry or any of that happened, it was before the legendary weapons were "patented" by Zenith

DQIV: I forgot what happened but I think Zenith was innactive

DQV: It is the most dramatic and climactic of the series (before DQVII or IX) and Zenith seemed pretty much in shambles and one of the most powerful demon kings pretty much quietly took over the world (The Order of Light probably kidnapped thousands of slaves for decades and killed great warriors who resisted them)

• Upvote 1