Dragon Warrior Reborn - Config help

Dragon Warrior Reborn is a trilogy of DW fangames that, until recently, could be downloaded here:

http://dragonwarriorreborn.com

I can get the games running fine.

It's the config program that's included with the games that I can't get working.

It opens like it should, and gives me a text menu where I have to select what option I want by pressing the number on my keyboard that corresponds with the number for that option.

clipboard01dt.png

But when I press a number, nothing happens, as if the config doesn't recognize my keyboard for some reason. This is true for both the numbers at the top row and the numpad.

I'm guessing it has something to do with my comp's security settings--I have Win7 x64--but I can't figure out what could be the problem. And yeah, I've tried messing around with the compatibility and security settings, but no luck there either.

And I'd like to configure the gamepad buttons and play it in windowed mode if I can.

I've tried emailing the games' creator, but after a few weeks, I still haven't heard a response.

So, finally I figured I'd take an admitted longshot and ask here for help.

Edited by SegNin

This is a persistent bug in dwrconfig.exe that never got fixed. I told the game's creator about it but it was never addressed. I wound up having to use a program called AutoHotKey ( http://www.autohotkey.com/ ) with the default (unchanged) keyboard config. You'll have to overwrite the config file with the default one from the compressed .exe. Once you get AutoHotKey installed, make a new script file in the DWR Trilogy folder. If you're like me and have no numlock option on your computer, you'll definitely need to use it. Paste this into the blank script (get rid of everything that may/may not be in the script file by default first):

7::Numpad7
8::Numpad8
9::Numpad9
u::Numpad4
i::Numpad5
o::Numpad6
j::Numpad1
k::Numpad2
l::Numpad3

You can change the letters/numbers on the left to suit your own purposes/preferred keyboard layout too, this is just what I use.

Also, to play in windowed mode, run DWRConfig.exe and press 5. It only works, strangely enough, if the window is NOT in focus. It's not in focus when you run it, so don't click on it, just press 5.

Edited by Ryuujin

Odd. I remember trying to play this a while back, but found it too buggy.

This is a persistent bug in dwrconfig.exe that never got fixed. I told the game's creator about it but it was never addressed. I wound up having to use a program called AutoHotKey ( http://www.autohotkey.com/ ) with the default (unchanged) keyboard config. You'll have to overwrite the config file with the default one from the compressed .exe. Once you get AutoHotKey installed, make a new script file in the DWR Trilogy folder. If you're like me and have no numlock option on your computer, you'll definitely need to use it. Paste this into the blank script (get rid of everything that may/may not be in the script file by default first):

7::Numpad7

8::Numpad8

9::Numpad9

u::Numpad4

i::Numpad5

o::Numpad6

j::Numpad1

k::Numpad2

l::Numpad3

You can change the letters/numbers on the left to suit your own purposes/preferred keyboard layout too, this is just what I use.

Also, to play in windowed mode, run DWRConfig.exe and press 5. It only works, strangely enough, if the window is NOT in focus. It's not in focus when you run it, so don't click on it, just press 5.

Thank you so much!

can now play it in Windowed mode.

As for changing the gamepad buttons, I think I'll just stick with the default settings after all.

I have a program called XPadder that works like JoyToKey but it's way better, maybe I'll see if I can set the buttons using that.

But thank you once again--what a weird bug! 

I never would've figured it out without your help.

where can one download this pray tell?????

I can't open the menu no matter what button I assign it to. I think that's why I gave up on this a while ago.

I can't open the menu no matter what button I assign it to. I think that's why I gave up on this a while ago.

You need to either use the default keys (inside instructions.txt which comes with the game) or use something like AutoHotKey (mentioned above) to reassign those default keys. The part of the dwrconfig.exe that is for key config is bugged, so trying to set keys (or joystick/gamepad buttons for that matter) with it will result in the menu being inoperable. You need to overwrite the config file with the one from the self-extracting .exe that it came in. I haven't figured out which file it is, so I just hit Yes to All when asked about replacing the existing files. Your save games are unaffected by doing this.

Edited by Ryuujin

ok. Maybe I'll actually play this sometime then. (I'll probably use GlovePIE instead of autohotkey.)

• 3 months later...

The config file has been fixed along with a few minor fixes. I just stumbled on to this thread on Sunday.

Nakhash

Oops, ignore my post in the other thread, just saw this. Sorry! I'll have to give this a try then, Nakhash!