Sign in to follow this  
knighTeen87

Do you think DQ I-II-III needs remake?

Do you think DQ I-II-III needs remake?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DQ XI needs to go back to the series' roots. Whatever we want to describe DQ's roots as, wether it's the first game, the original trilogy, all 4 NES games, or just III (which pretty much standardized the DQ format), we need a new "classic" game.

If you take away multiplayer from dq 9, well, even with it, the game was like dq III, took its party system and expanded it. The only thing that was missing from 9 for me was party leader switching.

Edited by KagE

They seriously better not dash my hopes for a western version of Dragon Quest 7. I mean, they released I-VI already, so I would be dissapointed (even enraged) if they would release all those but then just said "nope, were breaking that cycle". 

Square Soft would be rolling in their graves if they were still around though IMHO.

DQ XI needs to go back to the series' roots. Whatever we want to describe DQ's roots as, whether it's the first game, the original trilogy, all 4 NES games, or just III (which pretty much standardized the DQ format), we need a new "classic" game.

If you take away multiplayer from dq 9, well, even with it, the game was like dq III, took its party system and expanded it. The only thing that was missing from 9 for me was party leader switching.

DQIX focused way too heavily on post-game imho. And it honestly felt like a grindfest at times.

DQIII's classes felt alot more fair in this regard.

Edited by Tesla

DQ3's classsystem made gods.

Priest > Wizard > Sage > Warrior = God.

DQ3's classsystem made gods.

Priest > Wizard > Sage > Warrior = God.

And IX made sure it was balanced :3

If they remade DQ3 a hundred times I'd buy it every time. Best DQ ever, imho. Second best RPg ever behind only the inestimable Lufia II. If only the others in THAT series or even its remake had captured what Lufia II did so perfectly. But I digress.

I definately think that the first 3 games should be remade for the 3ds or wii or wiiU, well there is a anniversary disc that holds all three games thats for the wii, but its in Japanese and for most of us don't understand Japanese yet alone speak it.And it would also take a long time if the games were remade in to 3d or HD in a dragon quest 8 or 9 style. Another reason it would take long is because dragon quest 7 remake is coming out soon for 3ds (I think it is unknown if it is coming to UK or America yet) as well as DQ 10 on the wii and wiiU.

I'd rather see them remade in the FF1+2+4 PSP remake style.

Clean sprites and such. I like the ORIGINAL pace of the game. If anything? Add bonus dungeons & Pachisi tracks & medals (Monster and King) to DW1+2, maybe put more storyline in both. With 3? Add in more dungeons and areas.

And more jobs!  If you're going to redo DW3, you need way more jobs! 

The only thing I would change gameplay-wise with 3 is to expand the class system and make it work like it does in VII PS. Having to grind back to level 20 after changing classes is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I am in the other boat. Im not really looking forward to so many remakes of games I already own 2-3 different forms of already. Its bad enough that DQX is an MMO and probably not going to find its way stateside, but for them to put their efforts into re-re-releasing a game makes me frustrated. I dont mind the thought of DQ VII/DQVIII going handheld as that allows a bigger market for the games ... but 1-3 are already available on a portable system. Graphics are (and should be) the least important part of an RPG and thats probably the only thing that would change if it was re-re-released.

I wouldnt complain if they did... However.

1. I am not a fan of the 3d versions of the games. I would prefer highly detailed sprites (Think Legend of Mana, which had beautiful sprites/art direction.) I think they could breathe so much more life into the worlds if they used sprites.

2. I would drown a bag of cute puppies if...
        i. They added an option to play the games with the original translations, firebane, healmore, Mara & Nara etc. + original script.
        ii. They added an option to play the game with out the nerfs to enemies or buffs to gold xp.
        iii. They added a post game bonus to play the game in 8/16 bit versions, 100% port of original.

iv. They added an option to include the more literal translations, where some of the dialogue and jokes were somewhat adult oriented.
        v. These options (maybe others too) were togglable, so I could play with original names, but remade monster stats for instance.

While I love dragon quest, and have played them all a ton of times, I find some issues with the remakes/newer DQs.

1. The worlds seems smaller and less epic. I think this is due to the improved speed of characters.
2. I get annoyed with the overuse of puns and the flavor text. Sure a bit of it is great but I feel its way over done.

3. Running into certain enemies on the NES or SNES was "OMG NOT THESE!!!" I dont find that on the remakes, random encounters more or less have become Final Fantasy mash attack button battles.
4. No more pointless or poorly thrown together post game crapola. Im all for post game, but give it some substance. Wrap up some stories, heck add a whole new chapter, just give it the same love and feeling put into the original game.
5. NO MORE RANDOMNESS PLEASE... FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD, NO MORE! Im talking about grotto seeds and generation, chest ranks and random contents, random bosses, 2% drop rates, alchemiracles etc. Some randomness (Metal Slimes running for instance) can be fun, when you go to far with it like they did in DQ9 it becomes a chore and frankly its boring farming the same crap over and over.

6. No more tagging... It may work in Japan but not NA. Especially pisses me off when I need a full Inn in DQ9 to complete the wardrobe list.
7. No more Christmas/Birthday type items that affect (full) completion of the game. I am sitting here with ONE freaking quest left in DQ9 and I have to wait till december to complete it.... Not fun, annoying and poorly planned.

I'd like to see DQIII remade with party chat. Have the "hirlings" be characters with their own perspectives.

I'd like to see the Loto trilogy remade for the 3DS. Or at least have the original games available on the eShop.

I wouldnt complain if they did... However.

1. I am not a fan of the 3d versions of the games. I would prefer highly detailed sprites (Think Legend of Mana, which had beautiful sprites/art direction.) I think they could breathe so much more life into the worlds if they used sprites.

2. I would drown a bag of cute puppies if...

i. They added an option to play the games with the original translations, firebane, healmore, Mara & Nara etc. + original script.

ii. They added an option to play the game with out the nerfs to enemies or buffs to gold xp.

iii. They added a post game bonus to play the game in 8/16 bit versions, 100% port of original.

iv. They added an option to include the more literal translations, where some of the dialogue and jokes were somewhat adult oriented.

v. These options (maybe others too) were togglable, so I could play with original names, but remade monster stats for instance.

While I love dragon quest, and have played them all a ton of times, I find some issues with the remakes/newer DQs.

1. The worlds seems smaller and less epic. I think this is due to the improved speed of characters.

2. I get annoyed with the overuse of puns and the flavor text. Sure a bit of it is great but I feel its way over done.

3. Running into certain enemies on the NES or SNES was "OMG NOT THESE!!!" I dont find that on the remakes, random encounters more or less have become Final Fantasy mash attack button battles.

4. No more pointless or poorly thrown together post game crapola. Im all for post game, but give it some substance. Wrap up some stories, heck add a whole new chapter, just give it the same love and feeling put into the original game.

5. NO MORE RANDOMNESS PLEASE... FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD, NO MORE! Im talking about grotto seeds and generation, chest ranks and random contents, random bosses, 2% drop rates, alchemiracles etc. Some randomness (Metal Slimes running for instance) can be fun, when you go to far with it like they did in DQ9 it becomes a chore and frankly its boring farming the same crap over and over.

6. No more tagging... It may work in Japan but not NA. Especially pisses me off when I need a full Inn in DQ9 to complete the wardrobe list.

7. No more Christmas/Birthday type items that affect (full) completion of the game. I am sitting here with ONE freaking quest left in DQ9 and I have to wait till december to complete it.... Not fun, annoying and poorly planned.

"I would drown a bag of cute puppies if..." I assume you mean unless, or something to that extent.

You know, you can just change the date on your DS to get the birthday/christmas stuff.

i want to see loto trilogy in the style of DQ5 PS2... That engine was perfect in every way.

"I would drown a bag of cute puppies if..." I assume you mean unless, or something to that extent.

Nope, I mean I want those features so badly, I would do something as terrible as drowning a bag of cute puppies, if it meant they would be implemented :P

You know, you can just change the date on your DS to get the birthday/christmas stuff.

Yes, I am aware, it works for the birthday stuff, but I cant get it to work for the xmas stuff. Have changed the date on my DS multiple times, tried different years and everything, yet it still no xmas stuff in the DQVC.

Dragon Quest III looks good enough on the SNES version. However, I think it should get an official western localization, which only would be posible if a remake is done. I longed for a worldwide release of the Wii recopilation of the three first titles of the series, which would be enough for me, but not luck whatsoever.

Yes, I am aware, it works for the birthday stuff, but I cant get it to work for the xmas stuff. Have changed the date on my DS multiple times, tried different years and everything, yet it still no xmas stuff in the DQVC.

Ugh, this is just wrong. The DQVC is based on Square Enix's Server, not your DS clock.

FURTHERMORE, Bridal Fayre 2, starting June 7th, has Christmas Cakes available for purchase.

Thanks for clearing that up, it didn't seem correct. I'd changed my date to screw with my Pokemon games but never noticed getting different things through the DQVC.

I'd love to see a remake of DQ I-III for the 3DS in the style of the DQVII remake. Throw in symphonic versions of the soundtracks and I'd be a happy camper.

Oh, sorry, I only tried it for the birthday stuff but read it worked for the christmas stuff too. Didn't mean to cause a confusion.