Sign in to follow this  
benhaskett

Check out my board game, now on Kickstarter!

Hello, everyone,

It has probably been over a year since I've been here--I've been busy busy busy working on something, and I'd like to share it with all of you now.

The last time I was here, I was trying to spread some awareness about a little board game that I had put together. Well, since then, it's gotten a couple of reviews, seen a couple of revisions, and just recently, scored a publishing deal with a small company called 5th Street Games.

It has been an interesting challenge, trying to find a happy medium between the trappings that make roguelikes unique and what makes a competitive board game fun. But I've had a year now to really tighten things up--I was heavily inspired by Chunsoft's classic Mystery Dungeon series Torneko, Shiren the Wanderer), and I'm very pleased with the results! :) The game is called Baldrick's Tomb, and it has four heroes traveling down to the bottom of cursed dungeon, where the insides are forever churning and rearranging. True to roguelikes, the contents of everything are a mystery, and randomly generated. You will fight monsters, trigger traps, but also use powerful scrolls and find gobs & gobs of treasure.

The publishing deal brings with it a ton of great changes. First, the game has been tightened up in all areas. If you watch the video review below, all of the issues they discuss have been addressed! Players draft their own skills, are never stopped by traps or monsters, and now have all sorts of new and interesting ways to interact with the game! Also, the game's visuals are getting a full make over, with art by Erin Fusco!

Currently, Baldrick's Tomb is on Kickstarter. I'd be thrilled if any of you would be willing to take a look at it, and if it seems like something you might be interested in, I hope you might consider backing it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/5thstreetgames/baldricks-tomb-the-roguelike-board-game

If you'd like more information on the prototype version (the game before 5th Street picked it, you can check out these links:

An interview with The Game Crafter: http://news.thegamecrafter.com/post/26331153910/undine-studios-inducted-into-hall-of-fame

A video review from The Gamers' Table:

A written review from Father Geek: http://fathergeek.com/baldrichs-tomb/

The game's BGG page: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/126340/baldricks-tomb

Thanks very much for your time!

Edited by benHaskett

What is the age range required to play it? I can't get to half of the links at work as they are all blocked as games by our web filter.

I'd have to say 16+. As with any pencil and paper board game.

Thanks for the interest, you guys!

The game is actually 8+, and is not a pencil and paper RPG at all! (Just a board, bits, and cards) For the sake of ease of play, I purposefully developed Baldrick's Tomb with the idea of distilling the roguelike down to its essentials: each floor has only one large room, I have done away with level building and even equipable items, and I've taken a page from Dragon Quest where you only lose half of your treasure points if you die (as opposed to the roguelike staple of permadeath). This has made it easier for all sorts of people to enjoy who normally might be intimidated by roguelikes.

The game's artwork is also very much kid-friendly. There are classic enemies such as mimics, kobolds, and golems, as well as gentlemen Scottish werewolves and boxing rats.

The game is very evocative of a roguelike, despite its compromises. In our play-tests, kids as young as 6 have been able to play easily--also, it's "Child Geek Approved" on Father Geek! ;D

Here's some artwok that will appear in the final game (graphic design is not complete yet):

The four characters:

bt_newArtErin_char.jpg

Here are some monsters:

bt_newArtErin_2.jpgbt_newArtErin_3.jpgbt_newArtErin_4.jpgbt_newArtErin_5.jpgbt_newArtErin_6.jpgbt_newArtErin_7.jpgbt_newArtErin_1.jpg

Hope y'all like what you see!

Cool sounds great, let me know when you get your final product put together, I will order a copy. Kids and I have been playing Munchkin lately and this sounds fun and something they would like.

It certainly sounds like an interesting and fun way to introduce my sis's kids to roguelikes.

I suspect that they wouldn't have the attention span for Hero Quest.

EDIT: I like the artwork too.

Edited by Sorgatani

We actually have played thru half of the book that comes with the base set of Hero Quest :)

I'm so happy you got picked up and that it's getting great reviews! Really love the artwork. I'll be sure to spread this around and hope you meet your goal!

Agreed I like the artwork as well, very cool.