Sign in to follow this  
jamiras843

Dragon Quest VI DS Sprites

Does anyone Know where I can get the sprites from VI? I have IV and V but no VI. I really only need the heroes so any help will be 'preciated.

I remember ripping it a while ago to help place game dialogue. Dwaine might have them handy, not sure where I put em.

• Upvote 1

Here you go

dq6chars.th.png

dq6chars2.th.png

Edited by cybersavior

I had ripped Botsu on all 8 directions a while ago. I can post it here later. The idea was to do all characters but due to work, college and a graduation project I have to elaborate this year I had to push the pause button on all of this including my sprite comic project, sadly...

Here it is.

botsu_spritesDS_zps52034ece.png

I also did rip some of the unique npcs from DQVII, but I didn't get to "seperate" them yet. I didn't manage to rip all of them for now as well.
Oh I almost forgot. Thanks to King Zenith for lending me his save file so I could rip this sprite.

Edited by Billy MK

Here's a bonus hero!

h164_1.pngh164_2.pngh164_3.pngh164_4.png

h164_5.pngh164_6.pngh164_7.pngh164_8.png

Well that took a bit of time.  Appears the game just copied sprite 6 for 7 and 8.

Edited by Tom-Servo
  • Upvote 1

Here's a bonus hero!

Well that took a bit of time.  Appears the game just copied sprite 6 for 7 and 8.

How did you maneged to rip those? I've tried but gave up.

Edited by Billy MK

Ok I did some research and this is what I did. You probably already know some of what I'm posting but I'll include everything in case other people are interested to follow along.

In the DQ6 Rom Data\data\CHR directory there are 8,832 byte .pack files (h001.pack, h002.pack, etc), If you open Tahaxan (I have build 113) and try to double click on a pack file you'll get an unsupported texture type. So what I did was strip the first 0x40 bytes so that TextureObject is the first thing in the pack file, not TextureData, split the pack files 4 parts, then inject them into 4 separate DQ6 roms using my inject program and a batch file...

Inject b-dq6B.NDS h001B.pack 00524400
Inject b-dq6R.NDS h001R.pack 00524400
Inject b-dq6F.NDS h001F.pack 00524400
Inject b-dq6L.NDS h001L.pack 00524400
Inject b-dq6B.NDS h002B.pack 00526800
Inject b-dq6R.NDS h002R.pack 00526800
Inject b-dq6F.NDS h002F.pack 00526800
Inject b-dq6L.NDS h002L.pack 00526800

And so on. Now when I double click on h001.pack in b-dq6B.NDS I see a scrambled character. Uncheck tile and you see the back of generic man. Right clicking to save each image would be pretty annoying, so I used an autoit3 script to automate the process and get the filenames right.

h164.pack is one of the special cases where the file is 16k or so, but all you have to do is strip the first 0x40 bytes so that TextureObject is the first thing in the pack file, not TextureData, split the pack file into 8 pieces and insert the 8 parts into different roms and rip as before.

Edited by Tom-Servo
  • Upvote 1

Ok I did some research and this is what I did. You probably already know some of what I'm posting but I'll include everything in case other people are interested to follow along.

In the DQ6 Rom Data\data\CHR directory there are 8,832 byte .pack files (h001.pack, h002.pack, etc), If you open Tahaxan (I have build 113) and try to double click on a pack file you'll get an unsupported texture type. So what I did was strip the first 0x40 bytes so that TextureObject is the first thing in the pack file, not TextureData, split the pack files 4 parts, then inject them into 4 separate DQ6 roms using my inject program and a batch file...

And so on. Now when I double click on h001.pack in b-dq6B.NDS I see a scrambled character. Uncheck tile and you see the back of generic man. Right clicking to save each image would be pretty annoying, so I used an autoit3 script to automate the process and get the filenames right.

h164.pack is one of the special cases where the file is 16k or so, but all you have to do is strip the first 0x40 bytes so that TextureObject is the first thing in the pack file, not TextureData, split the pack file into 8 pieces and insert the 8 parts into different roms and rip as before.

Actually I know nothing of that. Not a single thing about dealing with the actual game files of a rom. The most I did was using a tool to get to the sprites in the vram of PSX games to rip DQVII sprites. That Botsu I ripped using a tool that takes several screenshots and then I had to clean them one by one. It's really one of the hardest ways of doing, I don't really thing I have what it takes to do it the right way, or any spriting in general.

Actually I know nothing of that. Not a single thing about dealing with the actual game files of a rom. The most I did was using a tool to get to the sprites in the vram of PSX games to rip DQVII sprites. That Botsu I ripped using a tool that takes several screenshots and then I had to clean them one by one. It's really one of the hardest ways of doing, I don't really thing I have what it takes to do it the right way, or any spriting in general.

Well then now you know. ;D Much cleaner to rip them directly.

Think I have all of DQ4,5, and 6 DS character sprites.

• Upvote 1

May I ask, where did you learn so much about game hacking? I would like to learn, but don't know where to start.

May I ask, where did you learn so much about game hacking? I would like to learn, but don't know where to start.

Well I programmed first but in college I learned the most in Comp 401(I think), computer architecture. They changed the name and number, but here's the gist of it:

CMPSC 312 Computer Organization and Architecture (3) Data representation, digital logic, instruction set/control logic, machine/ assembly languages, advanced architectures, memory hierarchy, I/O devices, overall system design.

Here's a link to a tutorial on it.

The subject that is most important to hacking on that page is "DLX Architecture". It's a very simple instruction set and most serious hacking comes down to breaking down and understanding assembler. It can't hurt to try to learn everything on that link too.

You'll also need to be able to use a hex editor and recognize data, code, pointers, binary paterns, hexidecimal, and even shift jis Japanese, but try what I posted first and go from there. You can also hang out on irc chat channels like #nesdev on efnet. Try to make an effort to learn what you can on your own, but if you need a little help with concepts go ahead and ask there, they love questions. ^.^

• Upvote 1

Thanks! It looks a little advanced for me now, especially while focusing on school, but I'll look into it more this summer when I have time to study things like this.

I understand the concepts of programming, but don't really know any REAL programming languages. Yet.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Thanks! It looks a little advanced for me now, especially while focusing on school, but I'll look into it more this summer when I have time to study things like this.

I understand the concepts of programming, but don't really know any REAL programming languages. Yet.

Well a prereq of "CMPSC 121 (GQ) Introduction to Programming Techniques (3) Design and implementation of algorithms. Structured programming. Problem solving techniques. Introduction to a high-level language, including arrays, procedures, and recursion." and Calculus I is required for the course, but not needed.

There may be an easier version of DLX elsewhere when you are ready.  Nowadays comp arch seems to be leaning heavy on the performance angle of coding. Computers aren't getting that much faster anymore, so the kiddos need to stop coding like $#!&. :P

• Upvote 1

I'm still in high school... I might be taking pre-cal next year, I don't know yet. I'd have to study some trig over the summer, because I got stuck in regular algebra 2 this year. (My school doesn't have a standalone trigonometry class, it's part of an advanced Alg. 2 class). I really want to study programming and game design in college though, so I'll make sure to look into those classes anyways.

Lately I've been trying to teach myself c++, but on top of school, my fangame, (and hopefully soon, work), I haven't gotten that far. It's easy and complicated at the same time. Things make perfect sense in my head, but as I go to type things into my IDE, I get tons of errors. (Usually due to a missing semicolon, but yeah.)

EDIT: 500th Post! Yay!

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I'm still in high school... I might be taking pre-cal next year, I don't know yet. I'd have to study some trig over the summer, because I got stuck in regular algebra 2 this year. (My school doesn't have a standalone trigonometry class, it's part of an advanced Alg. 2 class). I really want to study programming and game design in college though, so I'll make sure to look into those classes anyways.

Lately I've been trying to teach myself c++, but on top of school, my fangame, (and hopefully soon, work), I haven't gotten that far. It's easy and complicated at the same time. Things make perfect sense in my head, but as I go to type things into my IDE, I get tons of errors. (Usually due to a missing semicolon, but yeah.)

EDIT: 500th Post! Yay!

Oh yeah, when you start out the errors multiply like rabbits. I even get the missing semicolon error sometimes.

Just take all the programming, math, and logic classes you can. Heck if artist types can doodle in class you can write code! That's kinda what I did, I wrote Dragon Warrior code in BASIC during class because I was so interested. It was awful GOTO littered code, but still!

• Upvote 1

I attempted at remaking dragon quest I completely in TI-Basic. I got through programming one sprite and I was done. (I don't have a transfer cable for my TI-83+, so I had to code everything by hand right into the calculator.

I attempted at remaking dragon quest I completely in TI-Basic. I got through programming one sprite and I was done. (I don't have a transfer cable for my TI-83+, so I had to code everything by hand right into the calculator.

Oh yeah, back in my day *waves cane* I didn't have the cash in middleschool for something like that. Just wrote it down on paper. Just like a doodle! (and trust me you'll learn better when you write)

• Upvote 1

I was actuall going to post this topic a while back but it escaped me. If it wouldn't be any trouble are there character sprites of Amos and the rest of the gang? Just askin'.

Anyway, I dont know what the crap these guys above are talking about but, thanks guys! Computer programming, programming in general is not for me. That's why we have smart people! :)

Edited by Ljink

Ljink,I'm sure you are smart. Maybe just not in the programming area, but everybody (well, most people) are smart with something!

If you can event in RPG Maker, you could figure out programming if you spent enough time studying and practicing. (It's a similar structure, but more in-depth and advanced. You just need to remember syntax and keywords though, for the most part. Unless you are looking into serious hex-editing/reverse engineering type of stuff. Then you have to figure out other people's/companies' data structures and such... that's beyond me at the moment. As I said, I get programming structure, just don't have time to learn a programming language right now.)

I was actuall going to post this topic a while back but it escaped me. If it wouldn't be any trouble are there character sprites of Amos and the rest of the gang? Just askin'.

Anyway, I dont know what the crap these guys above are talking about but, thanks guys! Computer programming, programming in general is not for me. That's why we have smart people! :)

Yup anything that it's the game is in there. Ithink I got em all...

On 3/3/2013 at 9:06 PM, cybersavior said:

Here you go

dq6chars.th.png

dq6chars2.th.png

Not at all sorry to cast Kazing here, but anyone have these?

Would love the DS ones, but can't find them anywhere.