Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest X Opinions

I recently got this and have listened to it a few times.  I wanted to give my opinions on the it.  Bare in mind, I don't really know the context of a lot of these songs because I've yet to play the game.   

Track One:  Overture X
It's the Dragon Quest overture, the one we've all heard it before I'm sure.  It uses a modification of the Dragon Quest IX arrangement, which I found to be the best version of the song in the series so I'm happy it essentially returns for this game as well.  It is a bit different though.  Most notably at the 0:30 mark, where it has an extended bit of drumming.  

Track Two:  The Grace of Anrushia
I think this is the intro credits song.  It's a lovely piece in my opinion.  Very subdued and melancholy.  As usual, Sugiyama's use of strings is excellent.  I also like how he used the brass section as well.  Not too overpowered, but with a strong enough presence to give the song an extra bit of depth.

Track Three:  Murmuring Heart
This piece grew on me.  My first time listening to it, I kind of wrote it off as just tension piece.  But there is something else there that I can't quite place.  Some sort of other emotion Sugiyama was trying to convey.  Not a great song, but pretty good.

Track Four: Invitation to the Royal Palace

Judging by the name, I'm assuming it's the castle theme?  It's not bad, I suppose.  Not my favorite castle theme, but I do appreciate how playful it is while still managing to feel regal.  Not as stuffy as some of Sugiyama's castle themes can be. 

Track Five:  Breath of the City ~ Streets to Doze ~ Dreaming in my Room ~ Chattering Villagers ~ Breath of the City
 This is a five part medley of the various town themes.  Overall, not bad.  A little slower than I like, but still pretty relaxing.  I do miss songs like Dragon Quest IV's town theme, which had a little bit of a mischievousness to it.   These seem to be pretty in the style of Dragon Quest VIII's town themes.  They'd fit well there.

Track Six 
Flying Boat ~ Imminent Threat ~ Increasing Heartbeat

Another medley though I have no clue what.  Maybe cutscene songs?  It starts off peacefully enough, but whatever happens during Imminent Threat must be serious because it sounds dire as hell.  Increasing Heartbeat is a song I could see being played during a scene where you're in a hurry or something.  It has a bit of anxiousness behind it.  It also is a pretty playful song so I guess the stacks can't be too high.  I rather like the last third of the song, to be honest.  One of the nicer pieces on the album.

Track Seven: Melody of the Blade ~ Might of the Being

The battle theme and boss battle theme respectively.  The main battle theme starts off very strong I think, but kind of fizzles around the  0:30 mark.  Still, it's a pretty decent battle theme.  Maybe it will grow on me.

The boss theme, on the other hand is fantastic all the way through.  It's quickly becoming my favorite boss theme in the series.  The steady build up works well in my opinion and when the song finally climaxes 3 minutes in, starting with a heavy brass bridge leading into some pretty great string stuff.    For both songs, the drumming could be better though.

Track Eight:  Sky World

This is basically the main verse of the Dragon Quest VI credits song.  As a song, it's lovely.  I just think it's lazy to recycle something like that.  Still, Sugiyama's in his 80s, so I guess we gotta cut him some slack.

Track Nine The Pukulipo Flower Race ~ The Dwarf Race ~ Totenkan ~  Over the Hill
A selection of various field songs, I suppose.  The first one, the Pukulipo theme, is very serene.  In a way, it reminds me of something out of the Slime Mori Mori.  The second song I guess is the dwarf song.  Not really what I'd expect from a dwarf field song.  Lots of xylophone I think.  Some sort of tonal percussion instrument for sure.  Over the Hill is pretty cool.  Nice ostinato.  It's sort of in vene with DQIX's world map theme, though more light hearted for sure.  

Track Ten :  City of Taste ~ The Five Magic Towers

The title implies it's a town theme, but it's kind of spooky.  I guess if I had to compare it to a town theme, it'd be Zipangu.  There is some Oriental scales being applied here for sure.  A little bit of glockenspiel as well.  It's not bad, but never seems to really go anywhere.  

Track Eleven: The Race of Water ~ The Wind Elf Race ~ The Fire Ogre Race
Another field medley.  I like this one more than the other.  The Weddie theme is mellow, but still has sort of an adventuresome feel to it.  Very elegant.  

The Wind Elf Race section is alright.  A little too tense for me.  I guess it was trying to come off as mysterious, but it doesn't work for me.  I think it does pick up around 2:33 though.

The Fire Ogre section is pretty darn cool though.  Very loud and lumbering.  I don't thing there has been quite a world map theme like this in the franchise before and I rather like

Track Twelve:  Wandering in the Darkness ~ The Labrynth

The dungeon themes.  They're alright.  They're of the atmospheric vein of DQVIII's dungeon theme, which is a shame because I wish he'd go back to dungeon themes like IV, V, and VII's.  It's a step up from IX's though, I guess.

The Labyrinth is better.  There is a very subtle use of the final boss's theme sprinkled throughout.  I imagine this is used for some important dungeons?  

Track Thirteen:  The One from the World of Death ~ Fight to the Death ~ King of the Netherworld

A collection of songs linked to the main villain.  Probably final boss themes?  Very creepy.  Kind of a return to form in that regard, since VIII and IX's final boss themes were very upbeat (not that they were bad.  They were fantastic).  I guess they're going for an eerie approach with this title.  The main motif is pretty neat.

Track Fourteen:  Further to the Future

Not really sure what this is use for.  It's a very happy sort of song.  Almost feels like a dancing song.  It's pretty short.

Track Fifteen:  Rise of the Five Tribes

I'm assuming the credits song.  It's pretty good.  Very happy, which is a break from tradition.  Usually Dragon Quest credits songs are sort of melancholy.  the melody is pretty.  It's certainly a memorable track

I loved the music from 1-8 (especially the symphonic suite versions!). 9's was very underwhelming for me. Would you say this one is better or worse than 9's?

Edited by GrandAlchemist

Well, to be honest, while I admit IX's soundtrack is weaker than most of the games in the series, I still found it to have some excellent tracks.  When it succeeded, it was great.

For example, I love the world map theme from IX.  Both world map themes, actually (the first one more so).  The battle theme in IX was pretty good too, and I absolutely love the castle theme (my personal favorite castle theme).  Yeah, a lot of the other themes are kind of mehish in IX, but I appreciated what was good.

As for X...  It's really hard to say how I feel about it in comparison, especially since I don't have a visual memory of the songs from moments in game.  My gut instinct tells me that it's one of the weaker soundtracks in the series, but that isn't to say it's bad.  Far from it in fact, it's actually quite enjoyable.  I've been listening to it on repeat since I got it.  New Koichi Sugiyama is new Koichi Sugiyama and I'll take what I can get

Any chance you'd upload the soundtrack? Just asking. I think after 8 the soundtracks have gotten less and less epic. Not to say that they completely suck but Koichi Sugiyama had something over him when he composed the epic Dragon Quest 8 soundtrack. I've never heard such a soundtrack! I noticed that tracks from DQ4,8,6, and 7 are in the soundtrack on this site. The battle themes also get less and less epic. I think he would make a better soundtrack for an offline Dragon Quest game. My favorite battle theme would have to be from 3,4, and 5. 8's is good but it gets annoying after a while. I just wish the Wii U version comes here.

If you'll accept the OST instead of the Symphonic Suite, it's already available here at the Den, along with the OSTs from just about every main series and spin-off game.

If you'll accept the OST instead of the Symphonic Suite, it's already available here at the Den, along with the OSTs from just about every main series and spin-off game.

Thanks, I've already picked at the Synthesized tracks. I'll just wait until someone finds the Symphonic one.

I loved DQIX's music, especially Heaven's Prayer and Stella's theme. I learned to appreciate even what may seem mediocre melodies because I usually associate certain music with good times, and DQIX brought me lots of great times with my siblings. Chances are if you didn't enjoy the game much, then you probably won't like some of the things associated with the game itself (like the music; and vice versa).

Thanks King Zenith for the DQX OST! I'll refrain myself from listening to them though until I actually play the game so I can get the full experience, and judging by Saro's original post, seems like I'm in for a treat.  :)

Edited by Flute_Warrior

The local import stores just don't seem to be getting in the Dragon Quest CDs anymore, so I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet. Yeah, I have some real nostalgia now when the Ogre world map theme plays.

Thanks King Zenith for the DQX OST! I'll refrain myself from listening to them though until I actually play the game so I can get the full experience, and judging by Saro's original post, seems like I'm in for a treat.  :)

Since you and Saro are both in the area, I am open to a meet-up where you guys could give the game a try. Of course it would only be in Japanese and there is only so far you could progress in a few hours.

Found one.

and another

wonder why this guy uploaded these with a IX image.

Oh and this one

Edited by Alexandrious

The local import stores just don't seem to be getting in the Dragon Quest CDs anymore, so I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet. Yeah, I have some real nostalgia now when the Ogre world map theme plays. 

But you can get clothes there now, so...win some lose some?

Chances are if you didn't enjoy the game much, then you probably won't like some of the things associated with the game itself (like the music; and vice versa).

The Symphonic Suite came out months before the game did (in the US). Even having listened to the music before playing the game (Note: I'm a big fan of Sugiyama's music), the only track that I didn't think was "meh" was the Observatory Theme (Heaven's Prayer or Angelic Land or whatever you want to call it). Then I played the game and was even more disappointed. I played with friends and strangers and everything. I just think this game is as mediocre as games come (and the worst Dragon Quest that doesn't have the word "Joker" in it's title). Mediocrity doesn't cut it. Of course, this is strictly my opinion. As DQIX is the best-selling DQ of all time, I might be in the minority.

DQIX certainly has its detractors, so I don't think you're alone.  I'm not sure it's anyone's favorite Dragon Quest, but I still think it's great.  I had a ton of fun with it.

Chances are if you didn't enjoy the game much, then you probably won't like some of the things associated with the game itself (like the music; and vice versa).

The Symphonic Suite came out months before the game did (in the US). Even having listened to the music before playing the game (Note: I'm a big fan of Sugiyama's music), the only track that I didn't think was "meh" was the Observatory Theme (Heaven's Prayer or Angelic Land or whatever you want to call it). Then I played the game and was even more disappointed. I played with friends and strangers and everything. I just think this game is as mediocre as games come (and the worst Dragon Quest that doesn't have the word "Joker" in it's title). Mediocrity doesn't cut it. Of course, this is strictly my opinion. As DQIX is the best-selling DQ of all time, I might be in the minority.

Don't worry. If anything, I'm the weirdo.  :) Though I say I love the music, it wasn't a hit soundtrack. It wasn't until a few playthroughs that the music started to grow on me. There are some pieces I don't like, but overall I have to say I enjoyed most of it. I blame my orthodox way of finding enjoyment even in the simplest, dumbest things  :ws-slimecrazy:

Here is the battle theme, I guess.  Make sure you buy the album though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FfTk4kDHE

Wow that sounds good, could use a little oomph though. hmm...

The start reminds me of Laguna's battle theme from FF VIII.  Only for a few seconds though.

Edited by Cain