Sign in to follow this  
Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Dragon Quest Monsters - Caravan Heart

Win.

I loved that when I saw it in the contest. It took me a second to catch the reference.

Not everyone has played Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary (and even less have gone through the bonus dungeons)...

I've never actually played that game (the FF one), but I've looked up stuff about it. I'd be a bit hard pressed to forget about that particular monster after seeing it :P

Very nicely done, though. I like the details in Kakalon's wings.

Ah, I figured I was just missing out since I still haven't played Caravan Hearts. I did not know what I was missing well enough to even know what I was missing! The picture is really well done though I put it on the creepy side of things.

Thanks, guys.

Sasuke, I have never battled Chronodia myself. My old save file was stolen along with my old PSP, and I have only gotten to the Earth Crystal on my new playthrough. And I don't remember clearly, but I think I tried to follow the design of Kakalon's wing decorations on her official design.

Mimas, the bossed from Caravan Heart were just the basis for this; then I "borrowed" the idea of Chronodia from FF and came up with this redesign. Still, this might as well have happened if the big bad had his way, I think. And this is indeed creepy, especially since the "main" part of the monster is a cute girl, even though it is made up of those ugly monsters all fused together.

Mike, thanks for the comment. I have tried to use different techniques every now and then, and it is nice to see them giving fruit. Although sometimes I still rush pics, so some will still look unpolished.

BTW, when I was doing research for this one, I saw Gisvarg's model from Joker 2. In that game, he was given 5 fingers, instead of only 4 fingers, as he should have. I was somewhat disappointed by this... Also, I changed the position of that hand from the original one in Chronodia, mainly to show off Gisvarg's eye.

Dragon+Quest+Monsters+-+Caravan+Heart+-+

Kiefer.

Prince Kiefer Gran and the little elemental monsters: yillow, dreen, alue, purlele and pimo.

This is the eighth picture in the Monster Master Collection.

Edited by Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

Not to mention his awesome hat and the six color orbs.  Looks awesome! Nice work. Purlele was always my favorite among these guys, although I never could bring myself to invest time in reforming and then leveling them.  They always took a brutal stat hit.  A shame they are the gateway to the higher end guys.

I like how you've posed them in a circle around Keifer as he apparently appears (or is leaving) through a warp portal.  I imagine it would be tricky to draw Pimo from this perspective, but you have done so nicely.

While I loved the idea, the setting, the monsters, the music (of course) and practically everything from Caravan Heart, one thing that always bugged me was the extremely low limit of guardian monsters I could have at any time...

Kiefer is appearing. I see now this could be the traveler's gate from which he arrives, which is cool. I drew it as the summons' effect (like Magargi, Kakalon, etcetera). I used silver instead of black because I did not want it to be too dark and because the silver orb did not have a monster counterpart in the picture.